Netflix's "Fastest Car" is the Worst of Car Culture (and Sometimes Its Best)

I liked this and looking forward to more seasons. I would suggest they add modified verisons of exotic and hyper cars and more variety, seems like season one was nothing but lambos and Ferraris plus one viper. Let's see some Pagani, McLaren's, Porsche, Bugattis, etc.

This show is a dumpster fire as it stands right now. None of the sleepers are sleepers, and the attitude of most of the competitors is crap. I'm sure that some of it is directed but it really comes off poorly.

There are plenty of sleepers out there that will smash these poorly driven supercars. There are also thousands of guys who can drive the wheels off of their supercars that would ve willing to do this.

I really hope it gets better.

A more glaring omission than most.

The supercars were:
Ford GT (2006)
Dodge Viper ACR Extreme
Lamborghini Huracan
Lamborghini Aventador Roadster
Ferrari 488 GTB
McLaren MP4-12C
Lamborghini Aventador

The McLaren and Huracan are entry models, and there's three Lamborghinis. I get that they need personalities too but come on. Even ONE Porsche, or Audi R8, or a full fat McLaren. Nobody dragging ZR1s in the whole USA with a more interesting story than Leo Getz or Mr. Monogamy?

Sounds like typical A&E grade reality garbage. Also sounds similar to Pinks or another show Speed Channel used to have that involved people racing their own cars and yelling at each other.

I’ll stick to Petrolicious. They deserve their own series, beyond just YouTube videos.

Last edited:
I had Netflix for a month to try out the 4k and streaming on a new TV I was having problems with and happened across Fastest Car. I enjoyed it and watched the whole series. There were things I liked and things I didn't.

I liked that there was no token presenter and it was the competitors in their own words telling their back stories. A bad presenter can ruin a show. I liked that there was a variety of non supercar cars. As was mentioned in the article though, it would have been nice to see more variety of supercars. I liked seeing the dedication and work that people had put into their cars. I agree they were not true 'sleepers', but I think there would be a low number to choose from if nodded cars were not included too.

There were some a***holes on there for sure, but such is life isn't it. :rolleyes: Some of the 'sleeper' drivers had come from the competition of the track or street backgrounds, and on the street especially, you would think that arrogance and attitude is a large part of the scene. I don't think that would be easy to turn off for the cameras. It was a bit sad to see some of the reasons people had got into working on and racing cars. Some of the 'sleeper' drivers certainly seemed to have large chips on their shoulders too. ;)

The young chap who borrowed a car and watched Youtube on how to use the launch control was funny in comparison to how serious some people were taking it. :lol:

Having the final race not on tarmac certainly not a level playing ground for some cars, but then is there tarmac anywhere wise enough for that number of cars. :confused:

Haven't seen it but heard about what happened to Abel's RX2. Quite the shame with how nice of a car it was, and it definitely didn't deserve it. Abel seems like a really cool guy too.

Of course, one thing to remember is that the producers could have scripted and edited the show to make it look like that. That begs the question of why they’d want to make car enthusiasts look this bad. Furthermore, no script or editing can make you seem like an awful person if you haven’t said awful things in the first place.
I have not seen the show, but I recognize Salamone's SV & you mentioned Debbie Foreman. Debbie Foreman is as legitimate as you noted; she loves sharing her love of cars with children.

The way Salamone acts on the show is also exactly how he acts in real life. He's a douchebag of Lamborghini's highest caliber. Dude has half naked girls washing his cars in videos and the wife acts like the Queen hooker herself with them, so she's no different as well.

Haven't watched it, but it sounds a little like the usual manufactured drama, unfortunately. The opportunity to make the car community look friendly and inclusive comes second to the chance to have people scream at each other.

Some shows start off with relatively normal intentions and then gradually get crazier as time goes on, but others seem to come straight in at the crazy mark. I'm blaming American Chopper for that, which was quite watchable over the first few seasons and then quickly got ridiculous. Fast n Loud was similar, albeit to not quite the same extent.

I haven't watched all of the episodes yet, but I watched the first one with Corey's 1927 Dodge Pickup and I thought his car was really cool. Didn't think it was much of a sleeper though.

001-1927-dodge-pickup-lunchmoney-hotrod-36.jpg

The thing I hated the most about the whole thing is that guy who borrowed an Aventador from someone, looked up how to launch it minutes before the race and then was
gifted the overall win by being the only 4WD car at the final which was on dirt! The other cars didn't stand a chance and he acted like he'd achieved something. He was literally the only person there who hadn't achieved anything, even the guy with the diesel truck achieved more by managing to (very) temporarily repair a blown seal while "in the field", even though he came dead last because it didn't hold together.

That RX-2 was absolutely gorgeous though, I hope it's repairable.

Haven't watched it, but it sounds a little like the usual manufactured drama, unfortunately. The opportunity to make the car community look friendly and inclusive comes second to the chance to have people scream at each other.
It may not be as bad as you imagine. The sleeper car drivers, and indeed most of the drivers, are respectful of each other and interested in each others cars. The sleeper drivers mostly seem to be dismissive of the supercar drivers, as if having the money to somehow afford a really fast car is somehow easy and cheating. :lol:

I'd at least watch an episode if possible before dismissing it out of hand. It is manufactured in so much as it brings competitive people together, who are proud of their creations, or what they have bought, to race. If it was really just arguing and angry people I wouldn't have watched a whole episode, nevermind the whole series.

Last edited:
The sleeper drivers mostly seem to be dismissive of the supercar drivers, as if having the money to somehow afford a really fast car is somehow easy and cheating. :lol:
And vice versa - a "sleeper" is just some worthless crapbox to some of the supercar owners.

And sometimes each other. Particularly John Wayland - although I felt Maloof was a bit disrespectful, and I can't be bothered to remember the names of the guy in the Sonoma or the Chevy van (which looked terrible to drive), but they certainly came across as the asshats of the "sleeper" category.

Oh so its real people and not Politically correct wimps? I'm down.
Oh you're going to love John Wayland. And Bryan Salamone :lol:

And, sarcasm aside, you probably will love Skip Reagan.

"Concubine" :lol:
The Aventadors were SVs
That pretty much means "2015". I'm sure the Huracan has some numbers after it too, but I couldn't be bothered with them (especially as the dude didn't even own the car!).
and it was a 458 Italia
Nope, it was a 488 GTB.

Last edited:
It actually was a 488 gtb
Nope, It was a 488GTB
Nope, it was a 488 GTB
Yea got confused she had the 458 for Ferrari Challenge races.

That pretty much means "2015". I'm sure the Huracan has some numbers after it too, but I couldn't be bothered with them (especially as the dude didn't even own the car!)
The Huracan was the just base trim. The Aventadors were higher performance trims and the SV wasn't made just in 2015.

The show has a ton of problems for sure but i still enjoyed it for the most part. If they take the criticisms on board and build on it then I'd certainly like to see a series 2 :)

I'm sure there was some before talk as the lady driving the 488 chose to not use TC, IMO so the show would have some variation against the Lambo, (as the 488 would've been clearly second instead of tied with third) and knowing she had racing experience and the Huracan driver barely knew how to drive, though I still think the Huracan would beat the 488.

Overall, the show was okay, but seemed rushed as to the selection of cars, like they got Netflix approval, and then didn't know who to contact for cars but had to start filming. Also, they're looking for "personalities", not just "car people" so we got the chrome Aventador owner and some others. The van was IMO the only real sleeper. Surprised it didn't do too well. I'd give it a second shot to see if they work some of the kinks out.

They should bring the Batventador back, once she learns launch control - maybe have a bit where the Huracan driver 'teaches' her lol. It's good karma and supports kids dealing with a horrible disease. She had essentially caught the truck.

Yea got confused she had the 458 for Ferrari Challenge races.

Yeah. I remember that. Man that smoked those cars. The Huracan did them so bad as well. The Aventador SV’s would’ve did those cars worst but the guy jumped the start really early and the lady with the SV said her launch control didn’t work. To me it looked like she held the brake too long. Had those two Aventadors made it to the final race it would’ve been more entertaining.

The Huracan was the just base trim. The Aventadors were higher performance trims and the SV wasn't made just in 2015.

I agree the show features several bad attitudes. But Corey Caouette that owns and built the Lunch Money rat rod truck is a very inspiring individual. Netflix definitely knew to start the series with his story featured in the first episode. From there I thought the season went downhill. But I did enjoy the determination and inventiveness of Corey. Not to mention his awesome attitude towards overcoming adversity.

The thing I hated the most about the whole thing is that guy who borrowed an Aventador from someone, looked up how to launch it minutes before the race and then was
gifted the overall win by being the only 4WD car at the final which was on dirt! The other cars didn't stand a chance and he acted like he'd achieved something. He was literally the only person there who hadn't achieved anything, even the guy with the diesel truck achieved more by managing to (very) temporarily repair a blown seal while "in the field", even though he came dead last because it didn't hold together.

That RX-2 was absolutely gorgeous though, I hope it's repairable.

QFT

Also, the episode from the header-screenshot is also ridiculous.
The two most promising cars get taken out, the Lambo takes off almost a full 2 seconds later than the rest and is driven by a nice woman who doesn't know how to drive fast. Still, the guy in the truck with the absurd amounts of smoke just barely manages to finish in front of her. He would become dead last in a perfect dragrace, but still he gets all emotional saying how much this means to him and blablabla...

Sorry if I offend anyone, but geez....I find those typical redneck "Muricans" like him freaking stupid!

I really feel for the guy in the red car, getting his car destroyed by the guy in the small white sleeper. His life's work gone because some dork failed to mount some proper wheels on his insanely high torque electric car

Last edited:
This show is a dumpster fire as it stands right now. None of the sleepers are sleepers, and the attitude of most of the competitors is crap. I'm sure that some of it is directed but it really comes off poorly.

There are plenty of sleepers out there that will smash these poorly driven supercars. There are also thousands of guys who can drive the wheels off of their supercars that would ve willing to do this.

I really hope it gets better.

That's being kinda a dick. Are you trying to tell us that the 1/2 ton Chevy pickup was not a sleeper? There's zero credibility with that statement alone. Sit down.

Back