Trolls Can't Ruin Your Fun in Forza Horizon 4's Online Free Roam

Skärmbild (732).png

(Seriously though, sounds like a good solution.)

Griefing has never been a major issue with randoms in FH freeroam. Always ghosting is going to make random drifting spots bad now. RIP tandems

You can invite other players to join you in a co-op party or add them to friends list, in which case collisions are re-enabled.

Pick-up play is still lost. One of the coolest parts of FH free roam was that at any time you could cruise over to unofficial designated spots and jump into drift or drag racing sessions.

Rewinding online? Does that work with the laws of the universe, or have I misinterpreted?

If everyone is ghosted it works without any problems at all. Ditto pausing. You're all visually in the same universe, but there's no physical interaction so there's no issue.

Pick-up play is still lost. One of the coolest parts of FH free roam was that at any time you could cruise over to unofficial designated spots and jump into drift or drag racing sessions.

There are drift/drag spots all over the map, all it takes is a click of the d-pad to add someone to your convoy, there is nothing lost.

Rewinding online? Does that work with the laws of the universe, or have I misinterpreted?

You can rewind in online casual play where things like skill points and whatnot count. There will be leagues for serious racing in horizon with no rewind/skill points and the like.

Having an option to play online or offline is the best solution. Want to go driving with some randos? Can do. Want to relax in your own world with no intrusions? Can do.

Yes you can do both, you never have to play with others if you don't want to.

So has Playground said whether or not there will be private lobbies or not?

Yes there are private lobbies.

I've watched all the interviews/read all the articles so I'm pretty up-to-date with everything announced regarding FH4.

But what if my idea of fun is ruining the troll's fun? :P

On a serious note, the ghosting feature has made my interest in trying the online portion go from zero to looking forward to trying it. The hourly Forzathon setup also makes it funner to just drive around (so long as there's good driving roads, unlike Australia's map).

I am still confused about how "always online" will work in this game. So it's pretty much like a permanent online free roam with people always around?

If that's the case I'm glad they are implementing perma-ghost.

I am still confused about how "always online" will work in this game. So it's pretty much like a permanent online free roam with people always around?

If that's the case I'm glad they are implementing perma-ghost.

You're mostly correct, loading into the base game you will be on 72 person server, you can choose to ignore or invite other people/friends at your leisure as you play. You can disconnect at anytime and still participate in any given events; the game will simply use drivatars as in previous forzas.

Perhaps, but this would still be an overall good for the community IMO. I would think most players, given a choice, would prefer not having to deal with trolls versus being able to randomly drift somewhere. Significantly reducing the effectiveness of trolls helps everyone and encourages more people to try the online mode. A huge positive.

View attachment 749698

(Seriously though, sounds like a good solution.)

I was actually trying to think up ways trolls could still ruin events as I was editing the article...

The Forzathon Life events may be one of them. If a challenge involves making it to a destination in a set amount of time, a troll could join the group and then intentionally not travel to Point B. There's not enough info out there about how those challenges will work yet, though.

If other people are ghosts, then I'm guessing you'll just see them rewind. It'll be strange, and a knock to the "realism", but a relatively minor thing.

What I'm wondering is how AI traffic is accounted for with rewinding. If the traffic is all synched across a server, that means a rewinding player could end up within a car in freak situations. Also, that could be another potential avenue for the really persistent trolls: punting traffic cars into other players.

What I'm wondering is how AI traffic is accounted for with rewinding. If the traffic is all synched across a server, that means a rewinding player could end up within a car in freak situations.
My guess is that their solution will be that traffic cars aren't included in the rewind, continuing in forward motion to maintain sync, and that a player who rewinds is ghosted on their own screen briefly after resuming a la NFS' car reset ability. That would fix rewinding into a position where a traffic car is clipped inside of you at least.

If other people are ghosts, then I'm guessing you'll just see them rewind. It'll be strange, and a knock to the "realism", but a relatively minor thing.

What I'm wondering is how AI traffic is accounted for with rewinding. If the traffic is all synched across a server, that means a rewinding player could end up within a car in freak situations. Also, that could be another potential avenue for the really persistent trolls: punting traffic cars into other players.
Yes, this is my main concern. How would your car appear to others online (regardless of ghosting)? I'd assume your car would just disappear then reappear after you decide when to resume.

Also, how would anyone actually benefit from rewinding a mistake during a live race, as you would lose a tonne of time whilst the cars infront tear-off into the distance. Why not just stick with a button that resets your car to the center of the track?

I didn't even think about traffic, but that's a very good point.

Trolls have never been the problem for me, I only ever got griefed in FH3 by insane idiot drivatars ending my skill chains or hogging the drift zones, can I ghost them now too?

Trolls have never been the problem for me, I only ever got griefed in FH3 by insane idiot drivatars ending my skill chains or hogging the drift zones, can I ghost them now too?
It's been confirmed that drivatars in drift and speed zones will be ghosted automatically in FH4.

You mean they came up with something besides "preventing you from using 2/3rds of the DLC online after you already bought it"?

You mean they came up with something besides "preventing you from using 2/3rds of the DLC online after you already bought it"?

When has Playground done this? Are you sure you're not referring to the blacklisted cars in Forza 7's online?

It's absolutely stupid. I don't like it at all, playing it right now. You should have an option to turn it on or off at will, on your own. NOT a global setting.

It's actually really lazy. If someone is crashing into you, you should be able to ghost player individually. Now that would be funny.

It's absolutely stupid. I don't like it at all, playing it right now. You should have an option to turn it on or off at will, on your own. NOT a global setting.

It's actually really lazy. If someone is crashing into you, you should be able to ghost player individually. Now that would be funny.
Perhaps you should be able to turn it off for individual cars if you really want to be crashed into. Not sure how many other people are really bothered.

Trolls always find the way.:grumpy:
I was in a convoy of 6. We did some races. It was quite fun. Then we decided to do show our favorite car so we went to a parking lot. We parked the cars in a nice row when suddenly a Troll came up in an Unimog and pushed an AI car towards us. And since we were all in a convoy the disaster was inevitable. The leader jumped to an evento so we continued racing instead.

Trolls always find the way.:grumpy:
I was in a convoy of 6. We did some races. It was quite fun. Then we decided to do show our favorite car so we went to a parking lot. We parked the cars in a nice row when suddenly a Troll came up in an Unimog and pushed an AI car towards us. And since we were all in a convoy the disaster was inevitable. The leader jumped to an evento so we continued racing instead.
Yeah, I discovered quite by accident a couple days ago that you can boot a traffic drone into another player. (To the driver of the black Porsche 959: Whoopsy, my bad.)

I don't think it would be a very reliable way of griefing though, just due to the nature of traffic being so sparse and unpredictable.

Back