Six Cars That Singer Needs to "Resto-Mod"

For me, a Singer-fied Dino 246GT would just be the ultimate car. 👍

tumblr_llaumyFFgG1qilaalo1_1280.jpg

That is a cool idea for a post.

I'd like to see Singer do a high-revving take on a 912 with suspension mods the key priority to make it a little track beast without too much power.

This is a really interesting article @Joey D. 👍

I could easily see the Aston being done by someone in the future. IIRC, there's an Aston Martin retromod that uses the Jag XK body.
For me, a Singer-fied Dino 246GT would just be the ultimate car. 👍

tumblr_llaumyFFgG1qilaalo1_1280.jpg
David Lee already has a company attempting to do that, known as a 3.6 Monza and building 25 of them at just around $1 million+ a piece on top of the car's price.

Problem is David is a known exaggerator and experts have already found questionable information regarding the car supposedly having transplanted F40 motors. Along side of course, the fact many purists would rather not see the Dinos be replaced with more modern gear underneath.

Last edited:
I think what people tend to forget, largely because of the end result's retro appearance, is that Singer takes relatively modern cars of which decent examples are plentiful, and then backdates them.

What helps matters is that 964s, while being great cars and arguably the best "classic" 911 you can get (the 993, though still air-cooled, is a different kind of beast), aren't exactly sacred cows for afficionados.

When you get into older cars, you run into trouble sourcing examples that are suitable for bringing back from a certain stage of degradation, plus there are people out there who don't want the good ones molested. Fewer examples produced exacerbates both of these issues--fewer remain not too harmed by time and rarity increases the likelihood of them being considered special.

Singer really hit the nail right on the nose with their choice, because aside from nutters who take exception to certain things, Porsches really are universally desirable. The cars that Singer renditions appear to be, that is to say truly classic 911s, command truly absurd prices, but what they really are (because backdating for profit is generally frowned upon and people won't pay early car prices for late models that merely look older than they are) is what allows them to change hands for multiples of six figures.

One would be hard-pressed to find a car that is generally appreciated, isn't a sacred cow, is readily available, can be augmented rather minimally to appear to be something even more desirable, and be something people will line up to pay $200,000 for when everything that's done to it has been done.

Some Japanese cars, like...

Mistubichi 3000-GT
Toyota Supra
Skyline
Honda NSX
Honda S2000
Lancer Evo 8
Mazda RX-7
Impreza 22B STi
'18 Civic
'90's Civic
Lexus LFA
Toyota AE86
'04 Impreza
Silvia/280sx
'98 Celica
Toyota 2000GT
MIATA

Last edited:
This is a really interesting article @Joey D. 👍

I could easily see the Aston being done by someone in the future. IIRC, there's an Aston Martin retromod that uses the Jag XK body.

David Lee already has a company attempting to do that, known as a 3.6 Monza and building 25 of them at just around $1 million+ a piece on top of the car's price.

Problem is David is a known exaggerator and experts have already found questionable information regarding the car supposedly having transplanted F40 motors. Along side of course, the fact many purists would rather not see the Dinos be replaced with more modern gear underneath.

I was immediately suspicious of this. How does one acquire 25 F40 engines?

Early C3 Vette, especially a convertible, or maybe something less obvious, like a 67 Wildcat. Buick's tag was always performance without sacrificing luxury. (Yes, my stars and stripes are showing...)

I was immediately suspicious of this. How does one acquire 25 F40 engines?
Through sheer luck or a fabricated story about unused motors/wrecked cars.

To my understanding, F40s have F120A/D on their block, but someone saw David’s car had F105C stamped on his which would be a Mondial or 328. They’ve also found the cylinder head is off a 308 or 328, not a 348 as claimed. And lastly, the car runs a 328 gearbox which is said to not fit the F40 engine without heavy modification, where as the V8 out of a Mondial/328 would combine easier.

It’s possible the 25 cars could switch things up but David’s car is supposed to be indicative of the final product. Add on top the company handling this defending the car against David’s own Singer comparisons on IG, and it has all the quirks of Lee’s tendency to exaggerate. Which is sad bc it’s a really well done car.

One car I was on the fence about was the Volvo P1800. Swap the engine with the T5 5cylinder turbo out of the C30, throw a Polestar tune on it, and lower it on some bigger wheels. Then paint the whole thing in Cyan racing colors. A similar thing could work for the Volvo 480 too.

I figured I'd skip over the Volvo though since there's one so much fangirling I can do :lol:

Back