Checkout Forza Horizon 4's Springtime Map and Tour the Streets of Edinburgh

I'm guessing if there's a winter map and a spring map, that means there's probably a summer map and a fall map as well.

your a little late to the game, summer and fall were shown a while ago, enjoy.
Being "a little late to the game" is going to be the epitaph on my headstone.

If you mean summer and fall were shown in livestreams, that's true, but they didn't show a summer- or fall-specific map in either one of those.

Being "a little late to the game" is going to be the epitaph on my headstone.

If you mean summer and fall were shown in livestreams, that's true, but they didn't show a summer- or fall-specific map in either one of those.
I'm fairly certain they did show the map in at least one of those if not both. I could be wrong though.

I'm fairly certain they did show the map in at least one of those if not both. I could be wrong though.
They did not show the map in the Summer stream as Ralph mentioned having to fix a bug with it before they showed the map.

As I'm currently living in in Edinburgh, this is seriously bugging me how inacurate it is but I told myself I wouldn't expect too much! Don't get me wrong, some of it is great, but most is not haha

ummmmmmmmmm its very accurate, what are you talking about, these guys know how to design a game, why dont you try to do the same thing big shot.

To be honest, I know the topography will not be too accurate but that doesn't bother me too much. I knew they would take artistic liberties so not really surprised. Just looking forward to a new Horizon game. Like that they are reinstating the Monaro VXR!

As I'm currently living in in Edinburgh, this is seriously bugging me how inacurate it is but I told myself I wouldn't expect too much! Don't get me wrong, some of it is great, but most is not haha

I imagine having to compress an entire city into such a small area may have something to do with that ;)

Surfers Paradise in FH3 was actually fairly accurate considering the size. Only thing for me with Surfers in FH3 was that the entrance to the city felt quite abrupt. Went straight from country to city without much build up.

ummmmmmmmmm its very accurate, what are you talking about, these guys know how to design a game, why dont you try to do the same thing big shot.
And how long have you stayed in Edinburgh for?

haha that made me chuckle. You're funny!
I imagine having to compress an entire city into such a small area may have something to do with that ;)

Yeah I totally get it and I knew it would be somewhat compressed to a large scale but parts of what they have actually put in are just not right and it hurts my pickiness . Most of it looks absolutely fantastic especially the castle and Scott Monument.

Surfers Paradise in FH3 was actually fairly accurate considering the size. Only thing for me with Surfers in FH3 was that the entrance to the city felt quite abrupt. Went straight from country to city without much build up.
That is exactly where I get annoyed. How it shows you just jumping over what is called 'Arthurs Seat' and down (it's surrounded by city), when I was watching I thought wow this is going to be so realistic because the road as the car falls looks very accurate but then you turn onto a street that just isn't there!. As I said, I'm just being silly and didn't want to expect too much. But the fact I actually live here I can't help myself! Still looks great though!

If you live there your feedback has more importance. What would you say they got right and what wrong. Exp. Would you say the buildings are that tall and colored in those shades?

Haven't been following all the FH4 news,

That's the FULL map? I thought that was just the North, 1/4 of the map! If that's the whole map boy that's disappointing.

That's the FULL map? I thought that was just the North, 1/4 of the map! If that's the whole map boy that's disappointing.

I heard it was the same size as FH3, which is disappointing but not a deal breaker, but it does look smaller than FH3 unless I'm missing something. That map looks like a 10 minute commute from one side to the other and that's not good.

I'm not going to pass judgement until I actually drive it, but it does look smaller than I was hoping. Still, it's hard to judge scale on a fictitious map.

As long as there is a lot of variety I think it will be fine. The seasons will go a fair way to help with that. Sure, I would've liked FH3 to be a little bigger too but current hardware can only do so much while keeping the game world from being bland, repetitive, or vast stretches of emptiness.

To make the world as big as it is and so detailed is an accomplishment in itself. I'll always want more too, but am thankful for what we have. Maybe for FH10. :D

The devs say it is almost the exact same size as FH3's map. Comparing FH3 and FH4's maps side by side make FH4's map look pretty good, Especially when you consider the greater amount of Elevation change. FH3 had the flattest map of any Horizon game.

map_1742.jpg

Djc-Qp1X0AUEVMa.jpg

Plus with the addition of seasons we are getting 4 versions of the map that will change the look and feel of everything.

I'm sure they have packed it densely with more to do and more detail in the same sized area but I think they could have spread it out a bit more (with filler areas if need be) just to get more of a 'journey' going and represent the feel of more of the UK, because this really is just the North and the Lake District. The seasons will go some way to add to changing things up though.

I still wish they had bigger ambitions for this release, maybe if they had a dev cycle the length of PD's ones we would get the whole of the UK in miniature! It's unlikely but maybe down the line could add more territory to the map as DLC, if anyone remembers Midnight Club LA they added a large area to an already good sized map for the era (South Central).

I'm sure they have packed it densely with more to do and more detail in the same sized area but I think they could have spread it out a bit more (with filler areas if need be) just to get more of a 'journey' going and represent the feel of more of the UK, because this really is just the North and the Lake District. The seasons will go some way to add to changing things up though.

I still wish they had bigger ambitions for this release, maybe if they had a dev cycle the length of PD's ones we would get the whole of the UK in miniature! It's unlikely but maybe down the line could add more territory to the map as DLC, if anyone remembers Midnight Club LA they added a large area to an already good sized map for the era (South Central).

With their remarks on supporting the game for "years" to come, it's entirely possible that the future FMs and FHs are going to have a longer dev cycle.

I'm sure they have packed it densely with more to do and more detail in the same sized area but I think they could have spread it out a bit more (with filler areas if need be) just to get more of a 'journey' going and represent the feel of more of the UK
I agree with this. I was thinking last night about how I would design a map for a Horizon game. I'd design the map in high density Sectors With each sector separated by large patches of countryside with a network of Highways and country b-roads connecting each sector together. Maybe give each sector a theme so they each feel unique, City sector, Industrial sector, Mountainville sector, Airport sector, etc.

I'd also like to combine aspects of FH2's and FH3's festival systems together, One Main festival site in a central location on the map with smaller Festival hubs at each sector that level up as you progress unlocking new events in the area. Spreading each sector of the map apart from each other will help give more of the road trip feel to it when traveling to a new sector to open up and new Horizon festival hub location.

What was pleasantly surprising for me was that after having seen the city on the map and thinking it's too small, the gameplay demonstrated that the actual scale of the roads was much larger than the map made it seem, which bodes well not just for the city but for the map in general

I don't live in Edinburgh but I have been a couple of times, the art style is ok, and watching the video there were a few places I recognised like when they turned onto Princes Street which is where I stayed the last time I was up there. I think I get what @D-Max is saying, it looks ok to me, not amazing because of how scaled down it is, but ok.

If they had gone further south and included Manchester then I would probably be saying the same thing as D-Max, "why is that road there?" "why isn't that junction here?" etc. It's because it's what we know, what we see reguarlly in our lives and to find out that where you live is being recreated in a game only for it then to just be a kind of rough representation of where you live can end up being dissapointing. Arthurs seat being outside the city rather than in the middle of it is an unsuaul decisions the Horizon devs have made though.

It is inevitable that it wasn't going to the whole city, and to accurately recreate just a tiny portion of it wouldn't feel right either. If anything I think I agree most with are the comments I have read (sorry I can't find who posted them right now) about the sudden transition from countryside to city, it would be nice if you went through more of the lower density areas first as you headed into a city before you get into the central area itself.

I would have liked the map to be bigger, I think The Crew 2 has me spoiled in that area.

Last edited:
Back