The Autech Zagato Stelvio AZ1 Combines Italian Styling With Japanese Manufacturing

Co3F.gif

One of my favourite car designs ever. First time I’ve ever seen one in any colour other than red.

Really if you take away the grille and the mirror-things then it’s not really that weird. The shape itself is not dissimilar to the aformentioned SZ and the later, iconic Fiat Coupe. And the wheels are incredible.

Long been near the top of my post-lottery win purchase list.

Last edited:
It's nice seeing something like this. 15 years ago, I would've considered this ugly, but will all the regulation-riddled trash that the automotive industry puts out nowadays, this car is absolutely gorgeous.

It's actually quite decent. And great idea with the mirrors. Nice color too.
I definitely wouldn't mind seeing it in 'Sport', I'm sure there'd be all kinds of liveries for it.

At its heart, the Stelvio AZ1 is the car people want. Or at least the car people say they wish would exist. It’s an Italian-styled vehicle that’s built by the Japanese. It combines what should be the apex of design with the pinnacle of reliability.
Auto enthusiasts often argue that the optimum sportscar would combine Italian styling with a German running gear (and that's just what Italdesign has achieved with its prototype Nazca C2).

Never heard of this car until today. First I thought it was a new retro concept car. But it turns out to be a 28 y.o. car. I'd definitely want to be seen in this car. Translation; I like this design/car. Only one huge problem, it has a 4-speed automatic. :ouch:

The rearview mirror design looks weird and has a problem >>> huge blind spot.

Never heard of this car until today. First I thought it was a new retro concept car. But it turns out to be a 28 y.o. car. I'd definitely want to be seen in this car. Translation; I like this design/car. Only one huge problem, it has a 4-speed automatic. :ouch:

The rearview mirror design looks weird and has a problem >>> huge blind spot.
Why did the Stelvio have an automatic anyway? Was the engine never designed for one?

Why did the Stelvio have an automatic anyway? Was the engine never designed for one?
I don't think the Inifiniti M30 ever came with a manual transmission. I remember that as a shame, because at the time, the Lexus SC was able to get one in the SC300.
I'd pass. Looks supremely unorthodox. Makes the Fiat Coupe look like a Scaglietti.

I don't think the Inifiniti M30 ever came with a manual transmission. I remember that as a shame, because at the time, the Lexus SC was able to get one in the SC300.
I'd pass. Looks supremely unorthodox. Makes the Fiat Coupe look like a Scaglietti.
That would make sense. I looked it up and the only second gen Leopard that offered a manual was the base 2 liter V6 and only in Japan. I don't know if any other Nissan models offered a manual with the VG30DET engine.

That would make sense. I looked it up and the only second gen Leopard that offered a manual was the base 2 liter V6 and only in Japan. I don't know if any other Nissan models offered a manual with the VG30DET engine.
Wonder if it's worth someone converting to the TT with manual.

Wonder if it's worth someone converting to the TT with manual.
I doubt someone would do that to a Stelvio given the car's rarity. But the Leopard or another more common car that uses the VG30DET engine could be fair game.

Auto enthusiasts often argue that the optimum sportscar would combine Italian styling with a German running gear (and that's just what Italdesign has achieved with its prototype Nazca C2).

Most modern Lamborghinis would fit into that category.

I think I prefer japanese styling to be combined with japanese manufacturing. It's not like the classic japanese cars are ugly. They're some of the most beautiful cars ever made.

I doubt someone would do that to a Stelvio given the car's rarity.
One wonders, given the price, how big a deal its rarity really is. I suppose if you're buying the car as an investment, you may well wish to keep it in as close to original condition as possible, but is this something so desired that it would make for a reasonable investment?

What's more, wouldn't the uprated engine and more sporting gearbox broaden the appeal? Would such modifications be that detrimental to its value?

If I were to own it, I know it would be for my own enjoyment rather than as an investment, and I'd want to derive as much enjoyment from owning it as possible. Now that doesn't mean I'd want said modifications; the factory twin turbo unit isn't such a huge leap in performance.

Anyway...just exercising the noodle a little bit.

That burlwood veneer is really kind of stunning.

Can't quite decide which I like more, this, or it's successor, the 1991-93 Autech Gavia, also styled by Zagato.

While the Gavia is clearly less controversial in terms of looks and seems more refined, it lacks the edginess and character of the original Stelvio.

Can't quite decide which I like more, this, or it's successor, the 1991-93 Autech Gavia, also styled by Zagato.

While the Gavia is clearly less controversial in terms of looks and seems more refined, it lacks the edginess and character of the original Stelvio.

Definitely lacks the character. It looks like a car from GTA IV, aka a generic mock-up of a late 80s coupe.

Looks pretty outdated considering cars like the FD RX-7 were already on sale by then and probably much cheaper.

Last edited:
Back