Gran Turismo Sport Wins the 2018 TIGA Award for Best Audio Design

Interesting choice. Guess they chose this because they saw how much GT has improved on the sound department.

It may not be great but it's much much better than GT6.

Kudos to Mr. Caviezel (the ex Forza sound engineer that got employed by PD) for making this possible.

Somehow I can understand the decision. Of course the car sounds themselves could be improved (but some of them are a real hit like the Supra, R34, F40, R18...). Nevertheless it is the small details which I find very pleasant to hear. Especially in replay when the car sounds are echoeing in the distance or the car is flying by. The way the sound wanders from one ear to another so you can hear it on both ears for a split second really nails the immersion of standing at a track. + What many people forget is that the coolest, loudest sounds (e.g. in Forza) are not always the most realistic. This is an understanding which not many racing games get right these times.
Soundtrack and menu sounds are very satisfying and soothing almost like you are in some kind of a very exclusive car dealer/museum.

I know there is a lot of tastes and opinions on this topic but I think the huge jump of PD's sound quality really deserves this award.

Strange choice although it in some ways has improved over previous titles.

It should have noted that it won not just because of the car sounds, but the enviroment sounds as well.

Effects related to the environment are actually one of the worst aspects of the sound, in my opinion. For example, consider how the games attempts to simulate the sound experienced when the distance between camera and car is relatively long (in replays). In GTS it mostly comes across like some odd low frequency rumble.

Totally deserved. Kaz loves music and has always put a lot of effort into the soundtracks and sound designs. And now car sounds in GT are the closest to real life in the market, despite all the dumb complaints from people who never heard a race transmission in real life.

Shouldn’t GT Sport have been nominated in 2017? The game is over a year old.

For me the best sound in a game in 2018 is hands down Battlefield V. Absolutely epic usage of positional sound FX and the musical score is amazing as well. Yes I know it’s a game published by EA and I hate them just as much as the next guy, but if you have played the game and you give it an honest rating on the sound design, i bet you don’t find any game that comes even close to it. Most definitely not GT Sport. The icon click sounds are outdated, the engine sounds and tire skidding sounds are mediocre at best. But GT:S has a lovely soundtrack as well, I’d give it that... in 2017.

People making GT sound jokes? is it 2013 again? Atleast GT's viper actually sounds half way correct, and not like a Diesel truck lmao.

RDR2 has to win it next year though.

I do feel GT Sport’s sound design is now a step about most of the competition. There are still miss hits, but on the whole PD seem to have nailed sound authenticity and detail. Some other titles are more aggressive but suffer from clipping and poor integration. It’s as if you can hear the track switching for the next sound sample.

My favourites so far are the Sauber Mercedes C9, Porsche 919, Nissan GT-R ‘16 GT500 and Lamborghini Aventador.

Wow....gran turismo, best audio, in a sentence?

I knew things were changing when i first heard the vantage V12 from GT6, It didnt event sound like it was from gran turismo.

That was the future of good things to come.

Congratulations PD!

While GTS sounds are definitely much improved from previous GTs, it's definitely still not the best in terms of racing games. The criteria of the awards are a bit vague too. How old can we go back here?

IMO, Assetto and Driveclub are still the gold standard for sounds for me.

Automobilista & RRRE also deserves a mention.

Now THAT, people, are realistic sounds. Not Forza or NFS' overdone and overly aggressive sounds :lol:

Interesting choice. Guess they chose this because they saw how much GT has improved on the sound department.

It may not be great but it's much much better than GT6.

Kudos to Mr. Caviezel (the ex Forza sound engineer that got employed by PD) for making this possible.

Didn't realise this was a 'most improved' award...

The video in the article is from Ver.1.23.
It got major change in Ver.1.28, so I think this video is better to introduce here.

Exactly! The video posted in news page is the one with the very bad sound sample and this one is the one having the best sample for this screamer.

Back