Ford Sold an F-Series Every 35 Seconds in 2018, While Camaro Withered Away

It's the same thing for the Ram and GM twins. I'd guesstimate it's around half the value that goes to commercial/fleet/government sales.

It's the same thing for the Ram and GM twins. I'd guesstimate it's around half the value that goes to commercial/fleet/government sales.
Most definitely when you consider that municipalities and government agencies always get more than they really need due to the fleet discount being so deep, then pass along the surplus vehicles to local dealerships for a little more than what they paid. Which, incidentally, seems to be the only way you can get a standard cab truck anymore.

I wonder how fast they make them. Obviously fast enough to meet demand but I'd love to see the production line, to see the sheer scale of it.

Could of interesting additional points I've seen elsewhere:

Nissan Managed to sell nearly 80,000 Frontiers...the car that is a sixth of a century old. It also outsold the Titan comfortably.
Mazda sold more CX-5s than the rest of it's lineup combined. At 150,000 sales it is still well behind the Rav 4 (~430k) and CR-V (~380k), but 150k is pretty strong for Mazda.

Most definitely when you consider that municipalities and government agencies always get more than they really need due to the fleet discount being so deep, then pass along the surplus vehicles to local dealerships for a little more than what they paid. Which, incidentally, seems to be the only way you can get a standard cab truck anymore.
Titan is available in single cab. Silverado is coming soon.

Could of interesting additional points I've seen elsewhere:

Nissan Managed to sell nearly 80,000 Frontiers...the car that is a sixth of a century old. It also outsold the Titan comfortably.
Good solid truck for much cheaper than it's competition if you can get around the old interior. Exterior has aged well IMO.

VXR
They're up to F750 now?! It's new to me, but I love it.

They've always had a F700/750 (In the states at least).

1992-FORD-F700-with-fiberglass-tilt-hood-90944192.jpg

Wonder how many are in the brave and totally original combination of black/crew-cab/short bed?

Also, that sales increase on the Insight....

VXR
They're up to F750 now?! It's new to me, but I love it.
They go way higher than that. The werent part of the F series but they've even built Semi trucks.

So I actually DID see a standard cab Titan on that Nissan lot last week! I thought it was an extended cab and I just didn't get a proper look at it when I passed by.
The only problem with that one is that they're all built on the same frame so the single cab is only available with the long bed.

I wonder how fast they make them. Obviously fast enough to meet demand but I'd love to see the production line, to see the sheer scale of it.

Saw a documentary a few weeks ago showing exactly that. One new F-150 rolls off the assembly line every 59 seconds.

A LOT. They also combine all levels of the F-Series, so F-150 all the way up to F-750.
I read it as F150 in article not F-series :dunce:

The article says pickup trucks, it would only go to F450. The F650-750(some of the F350-450) are sold as chassis cabs.

@Joey D do you have a source for the article?
This seems unfair and bias to other vehicles

I read it as F150 in article not F-series :dunce:

The article says pickup trucks, it would only go to F450. The F650-750(some of the F350-450) are sold as chassis cabs.

@Joey D do you have a source for the article?
This seems unfair and bias to other vehicles

Companies release their sales numbers, you can see all the data via their press releases. There are sites that compile the numbers though, but most of them cost money to access the data.

And what do you find bias in the article? It's pretty neutral.

**Edit

Here's the Ford sales figures: https://s22.q4cdn.com/857684434/files/doc_news/2019/01/December-2018-Sales.Final.pptx.pdf

I doesn't indicate what it considers the F-Series, but it's probably the F-150 and all its variations like the Raptor. Looking into it a bit more, it typically does not include the Super Duty, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
I doesn't indicate what it considers the F-Series, but it's probably the F-150 and all its variations like the Raptor. Looking into it a bit more, it typically does not include the Super Duty, but I'm not sure.
Pretty sure "Ford Trucks" includes Super Duty.

And what do you find bias in the article? It's pretty neutral.
Sorry not the article but the data. Let me explain Ford shows sales for the F-series(F150 and Super Duty F250, F350, F450)as one number if you are comparing those numbers to Tundra's numbers it's unfair. The Tundra can only compete with F150 not Super Duty for sales.

Last edited:
Man those third gen Audi TTs are not really moving are they?

It's surprising how poorly it sells in the US considering how popular it is in Europe. They sold 10x that in 2018 and generally do year on year.

I guess it's expensive compared to the bigger Mustang and Camaros.

Sorry not the article but the data. Let me explain Ford shows sales for the F-series(F150 and Super Duty F250, F350, F450)as one number if you are comparing those numbers to Tundra's numbers it's unfair. The Tundra can only compete with F150 not Super Duty for sales.

Ah gotcha! Ya, I see what you mean, but it looks like GM and Ram both do it with its trucks too. I can't see to find just F-150 numbers though, but if I had to bet, I'd say it's well over half the F-Series sold.

It's surprising how poorly it sells in the US considering how popular it is in Europe. They sold 10x that in 2018 and generally do year on year.

I guess it's expensive compared to the bigger Mustang and Camaros.

I think they have a somewhat unfortunate reputation in the US. I almost never see men driving them because the original was definitely seen as a "chick" car. Men are supposed to drive Challengers or whatever. The gender norms in this country are profoundly dumb. Other than that, performance cars that aren't muscle cars are not finding buyers at all here. Not even the MX-5 sold particularly well. Add in the Audi reliability anxiety and you have a car that has very limited appeal. I'd love to see the analytics on buyers. I'd be willing to bet most of the buyers are 30-45y.o. women (I think of any race probably) with household incomes above $150k/year. Not that I would ever stereotype. :lol:

I think it's safe to say the "affordable personal coupe" segment is well and truly dead. There are a few cars that resemble the configuration (LC500, S Class Coupe, 8 Series) but they are more like "luxury coupe". The TT is probably the closest to that original formula still left on sale...and it's probably not long for this world and really stretches "affordable". Shame, because I quite like that segment. The Accord Coupe kept up the good fight as long as it could.

I think they have a somewhat unfortunate reputation in the US. I almost never see men driving them because the original was definitely seen as a "chick" car. Men are supposed to drive Challengers or whatever. The gender norms in this country are profoundly dumb. Other than that, performance cars that aren't muscle cars are not finding buyers at all here. Not even the MX-5 sold particularly well. Add in the Audi reliability anxiety and you have a car that has very limited appeal. I'd love to see the analytics on buyers. I'd be willing to bet most of the buyers are 30-45y.o. women (I think of any race probably) with household incomes above $150k/year. Not that I would ever stereotype. :lol:

I think it's safe to say the "affordable personal coupe" segment is well and truly dead. There are a few cars that resemble the configuration (LC500, S Class Coupe, 8 Series) but they are more like "luxury coupe". The TT is probably the closest to that original formula still left on sale...and it's probably not long for this world and really stretches "affordable". Shame, because I quite like that segment. The Accord Coupe kept up the good fight as long as it could.

The coupe segment, especially those on the smaller end of my the scale, are one of those that waxes and wanes but never fully dies off. Smaller crossovers seem to be what joe public wants right now, but how long will that trend last?

Back