Play PC Games on Your Xbox With the Wireless Display App

Im already playing my pc games on the TV. All you need is a good HDMI cable. Not sure why i should need the Xbox or any App for this.

^^ What they already said. I play PC games on my TV as it is. My TV isn't hard-mounted so I can use it whether I'm at my desk or in my comfy chair. Console controllers already work too. I guess if the two devices are far apart this could make sense for some people, but without the possibility of using mouse and keyboard it somewhat limits the usefulness for now.

Even ignoring the fact that not everyone has their PC near their TV, you can already do this exact thing with:

- An Android device with Parsec, Moonlight or Steam Link
- A Raspberry Pi with Parsec, Moonlight or Steam Link
- Nvidia Shield
- any PC or laptop with Parsec, Moonlight or Steam (the latter excludes Chromebooks, though, unless they're supported by Crostini or Crouton so you can use the Linux client)
- Recent Samsung smart TVs (and maybe more now) with Steam Link
- Steam Link hardware

You can use a keyboard and mouse with any of these options and many of them also support VirtualHere that lets you connect any USB device to your server PC over your network.

That said, the more options available to people, the better. It's a shame this option has limitations that none of the others have but that's life I guess?

I get that you can plug your PC into your TV via an HDMI, but I think for a majority of people they don't have their PC and computer near each other.

That said, the more options available to people, the better. It's a shame this option has limitations that none of the others have but that's life I guess?

I think it's more about ease of use and affordability than anything. Steam Link is no longer around and based on everything I ever read about it, it was pretty terrible. The Nvidia Sheild looks great and apparently works better, but is also what, $150 or something like that? Raspberry Pi is definitely an affordable option but can be a pain to setup depending on what you're trying to do.

So isn't this like the same thing that PlayStation had with Remote play?
And Microsoft just now got into it?

So isn't this like the same thing that PlayStation had with Remote play?
And Microsoft just now got into it?

Doesn't Remote Play just allow you to play PS games on your PC? The Wireless Display app is the other way around, you can play PC games on your Xbox.

Well why would you want to play PC games on your Xbox????

That's exactly my question too.
I mean if you have a PC you want it for PC games right?
If you want to play Xbox games you get an Xbox? Or have the option to play Xbox games on PC.
Who would want to play Modded Minecraft on the Xbox?

Because you don't want to sit at your desk to play them and want to sit in your recliner? There's a number of reasons why.

What about the people who have a recliner at their desk?

This is good news --- the lines of gaming platforms continue to blur!

Good bridge between the Microsoft Xcloud environment. Now just have to see when Sony bring remote play support to android.

This is good news --- the lines of gaming platforms continue to blur!

Good bridge between the Microsoft Xcloud environment. Now just have to see when Sony bring remote play support to android.
Blur? Not really. Both Windows and Xbox are owned by Microsoft and part of one ecosystem philosophy ever since .

Sounds nice, but is there any noticeable lag or latency? If it’s super smooth like playing directly on pc I could see myself using this sometimes

Sounds nice, but is there any noticeable lag or latency? If it’s super smooth like playing directly on pc I could see myself using this sometimes

It has a low latency mode which is supposed to make it smooth.

Well why would you want to play PC games on your Xbox????

Because my PC is nowhere near my TV, but my Xbox is. This setup, if it works, is great news for me as I've always wanted to play stuff like Spintires on my living room TV but didn't want to purchase the game again or have a really long HDMI lead running around the house.

I thought this was going to be something that lets you play PC games without owning a PC. So deos this mean your PC has to be capable of runnings games properly?

I thought this was going to be something that lets you play PC games without owning a PC. So deos this mean your PC has to be capable of runnings games properly?

Yes, but there are services that do do what you're thinking of. They're not cheap, though.

Blur? Not really. Both Windows and Xbox are owned by Microsoft and part of one ecosystem philosophy ever since .

It was actually very recent that the theme of XB exclusives was taken away, with the cross-play initiative. There were many XB exclusives that never made their way to the PC, even though XB has always been a MS brand.

'the lines of gaming platforms continue to blur' means that we're given more options to play our games on more gaming platforms. I won't argue that their haven't been direct/indirect ways of pulling some of this off, but here in very recent times, the actual gaming companies themselves are pulling their resources to make it happen.

For someone who likes things to work natively, without having to spend hours tinkering with things, this is great news.

For me, the ultimate goal is to play my console games from android devices, in a hassle free manner (we're so close!). I picked up a Vita not too long ago, and have gotten a taste of this functionality. The only thing about the Vita is that, while I got it for Remote Play, I have found myself spending all of my time on actual Vita titles :-/

Back