I finally bought Assetto Corsa.. WOW

• Thread starter eltorrente
  • 90 comments
United States
United States
I bought the Ultimate Edition (PS4) last week and am addicted. I've only just scratched the surface, as I am only driving cars with H-pattern shifters and getting my muscle memory for heel/toeing and using no driving aids at all. There is nothing like driving a Ferrari 330 P4 at Spa and running through the gears and hearing the sounds of blipping the throttle into turns and accelerating out of them. It's just so visceral, and all the cars feel completely different from one-another.

I had been playing GTS, and I honestly rarely ever drive just to drive. In that game I'm just trying to improve my time so I can get a trophy, points, qualifying position or whatever. I don't drive just for the thrill of driving in GTS. The cars all feel so similar and not very distinct from each other. I like GTS, but it's just not the same experience. GTS is a much better game overall, but AC is far better for just pure driving.

I can't believe I waited so long to buy it. If anyone is on the fence, just buy it for the driving pleasure. The cars all feel so alive and it's a thrill to learn each one.

I've been contemplating getting this for sometime now and whether i go all out on the ultimate edition or just the standard. CEX (webuy.com) has it for around $18 for the standard but the ultimate I haven't found.
There's no VR support though am I right?

I've been contemplating getting this for sometime now and whether i go all out on the ultimate edition or just the standard. CEX (webuy.com) has it for around $18 for the standard but the ultimate I haven't found.
There's no VR support though am I right?

Get the Ultimate Edition for sure. As I said before, I've only been driving H-pattern cars, so I've been mostly driving older Porsches and Ferraris that come with the Ultimate Edition. Driving the 908, 917K, 330, GTO's, etc has been so damn satisfying.

I don't know about VR support, though.

I bought AC just to drive cars on the Nord Tourist, & I haven't been disappointed yet. I agree that it's not much of a game compared to GTS, but, the driving is lots of fun.

I broke down and finally purchased the complete PS4 edition to see what the fuss is all about. Sure I won’t be disappointed when it finally arrives. I really found myself enjoying PC2 after giving it a second chance last year, so I assume AC will be do different.

Get the Ultimate Edition for sure. As I said before, I've only been driving H-pattern cars, so I've been mostly driving older Porsches and Ferraris that come with the Ultimate Edition. Driving the 908, 917K, 330, GTO's, etc has been so damn satisfying.

I don't know about VR support, though.
Got to love the old school Le Mans style cars! I'm gonna hunt down a copy.

VR is very good on PC, but not available on PS4.
Thanks for clearing that up! :)

VBR
I bought AC just to drive cars on the Nord Tourist, & I haven't been disappointed yet. I agree that it's not much of a game compared to GTS, but, the driving is lots of fun.

Yeah I reloaded it onto the Xbox One X a couple of weeks ago and I've been playing it again for the first time in probably over a year. I remembered how hard it is to get a competitive race once I started trying a few cars. But I don't remember the older Porsche LeMans cars being that hard to drive. Tons of understeer on the 917k and 962C's. I thought I remembered being very quick in the 962C Long Tail especially but it just feels slow right now.

To me AC really shines in driving alone on a track but there's only so much of that you can do before it gets boring.

Graphics on the Assetto Corsa are not as good as GT Sport but still better at car handling

Yes, for sure. I have a PS4 Pro with a 65" Sony 930E television with beautiful 4K and HDR, and it really brings it to light. However - I feel that AC is still more immersive. The graphics are still "good enough", but the sound is much better, the force feedback is better, and the overall "feel" of the car is much better.

I have a beast of a surround sound system, and that makes more of a difference to my experience than the graphics do.

I imagine it's not so amazing for those that use a controller and use the TV speakers for sound, though.

I can't decide whether to buy Assetto Corsa Ultimate Edition or PC2, the thing that holds me back with AC is the tracklist while PC2 offers a lot more tracks and even weather, I don't care about graphics as I already own GTS, but I want a game which every car feels different unlike GTS and a game that has plenty of content, I might as well just wait for discounts and get both games :nervous::lol:

Unfortunately I'm on the opposite end if the spectrum. I just recently got AC for PS4 and find it undriveable.
I've had Project Cars 2 for about a year and a half and it's been pretty ok. Read up on aaaall the crazy hype of Assetto Corsa and decided to give it a try. So far it's been quite disappointing. The Degree of Rotation issue is so bad it makes to where I can't drive the damn cars. I have the G29 and changing it to 900° does nothing. Hell even changing it to 1080° does nothing. I barely turn my steering wheel and the car goes flying off into that direction. I've found out that that has been an issue since 2017 and apparently never got fixed.
If anything, AC has made me appreciate PC2 a lot more.

Unfortunately I'm on the opposite end if the spectrum. I just recently got AC for PS4 and find it undriveable.
I've had Project Cars 2 for about a year and a half and it's been pretty ok. Read up on aaaall the crazy hype of Assetto Corsa and decided to give it a try. So far it's been quite disappointing. The Degree of Rotation issue is so bad it makes to where I can't drive the damn cars. I have the G29 and changing it to 900° does nothing. Hell even changing it to 1080° does nothing. I barely turn my steering wheel and the car goes flying off into that direction. I've found out that that has been an issue since 2017 and apparently never got fixed.

I don't know if the console version also has steering wheel calibration, but try that first if you haven't. Even if your wheel is set to 900 degree, if the game thinks it's anything else then the handling is not going to match up.

I don't know if the console version also has steering wheel calibration, but try that first if you haven't. Even if your wheel is set to 900 degree, if the game thinks it's anything else then the handling is not going to match up.

The console version doesn't have a wheel and pedal calibration option. Thanks for your help, though.

I was a forza and project cars fan. And i got assetto corsa on Xbox a few month ago. Your right it’s the best thing ever graphics and feeling seem so real it’s amazing.

Yep, it's something special.

This game alone prompted me to build a proper gaming PC as I got tired of seeing all the mods on YouTube.

I'm more of a sim driver than racer and while I'll admit ACC feels even better, deep down I really just want Assetto Corsa 2 using Kunos engine.

But, I guess in a big way the modding community have already given us AC2.

It will always bring a smile, to me it's the real driving simulator.

👍 @eltorrente

I would like to help but I don't have the PS version. There is definitely something wrong with the setting of your wheel.
Maybe this will help?

Go to SETTINGS, VIDEO and select VIRTUAL WHEEL LIMIT ROTATION: NO

Also, this thread has probably the solution to your problem: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/ps4-g29-how-to-adjust-degree-of-rotation.378526/

I hope you get it sorted and you will be able to play AC.

Last edited:
👍 @eltorrente

I would like to help but I don't have the PS version. There is definitely something wrong with the setting of your wheel.
Maybe this will help?

Also, this thread has probably the solution to your problem: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/ps4-g29-how-to-adjust-degree-of-rotation.378526/

I hope you get it sorted and you will be able AC.

Thanks so much, kikie. This sounds exactly like what is happening. I will experiment with it when I get home and see if I can actually play the game.

I can't decide whether to buy Assetto Corsa Ultimate Edition or PC2, the thing that holds me back with AC is the tracklist while PC2 offers a lot more tracks and even weather, I don't care about graphics as I already own GTS, but I want a game which every car feels different unlike GTS and a game that has plenty of content, I might as well just wait for discounts and get both games :nervous::lol:

I definitely pick AC over pCars2. The driving is simply sensational.

Something potential buyers of AC should note before purchase is that it has a some weird flaws to it.

I like hot lapping and just trying to see which cars are fastest on various tracks and competing against myself. AC (on PS4 at least) doesn't save laptimes (!?!?!?!). I have to keep track of my times myself on my laptop - constantly updating times in notepad. WTF - that is a ridiculous oversight.

Also, the online mode completely sucks. There are a few lobbies, but half of them are drifting, and if you find a race there MIGHT be a few other people in the race, but probably not enough to be fun - but usually it's just people practicing and doing laps with no race scheduled.

Also, the online mode completely sucks. There are a few lobbies, but half of them are drifting, and if you find a race there MIGHT be a few other people in the race, but probably not enough to be fun - but usually it's just people practicing and doing laps with no race scheduled.

I think that has more to do with the online players sucking than the online mode sucking, the game has no say in how many people are/aren't in a lobby or how many of the lobbies are drifting. Granted, AC on consoles doesn't have the most robust tools for hosting online races which doesn't help the situation, but all racing games have jackassery like that to some degree. More people online want to goof off than have a serious race, regardless of the game (in my experience). I think AC on consoles probably has a smaller crowd online than most other games too, which kind of amplifies the situation.

I think PC users have a sliding AI strength scale instead of the old easy, medium, hard, etc. and I might have that wrong. That might help me to enjoy the game more but right now there so much inconsistency it's tough to stick with it for an extended period of time. I think I've been playing it on and off again for the last month or so but I'm ready to put it back on the shelf and let it start collecting dust again and go back to Project Cars 2.

I think PC users have a sliding AI strength scale instead of the old easy, medium, hard, etc. and I might have that wrong. That might help me to enjoy the game more but right now there so much inconsistency it's tough to stick with it for an extended period of time. I think I've been playing it on and off again for the last month or so but I'm ready to put it back on the shelf and let it start collecting dust again and go back to Project Cars 2.

That is correct, there is a strength slider and an aggression slider. I think the AI just may be a little better overall in general, and I think they're actually pretty good now (way better than the early days!). And with the Content Manager alternate launcher it has even more options for modifying AI behavior, you can have them act as traffic on the big cruise tracks or even make them do a full cool-down lap after the race. And Content Manager also brought full time change, night racing, working headlights, rain........I should probably stop now, sorry. :D But AC has literally been reborn on PC thanks to Content Manager and the new shaders patch stuff.

AC is the best sim imho. I'm salty that I can't play the Competizione since I refuse to game on a PC. Maybe it'll be a PS5 title! #lolright

The AI is superior to GTS of course, but it's not perfect. Some races I can demolish the comp on the hardest setting. And some races I have to put it to 'Easy' to have a chance at winning. But win or lose, the experience is what matters.

Jerome

That is correct, there is a strength slider and an aggression slider. I think the AI just may be a little better overall in general, and I think they're actually pretty good now (way better than the early days!). And with the Content Manager alternate launcher it has even more options for modifying AI behavior, you can have them act as traffic on the big cruise tracks or even make them do a full cool-down lap after the race. And Content Manager also brought full time change, night racing, working headlights, rain........I should probably stop now, sorry. :D But AC has literally been reborn on PC thanks to Content Manager and the new shaders patch stuff.

Behavior wise in traffic with them I don't really have a problem with the AI. It's the sometimes huge gap between skill levels. The lead AI car on pole shouldn't have a 7 second lead on me in starting in 2nd after the first lap from a standing start because it's 1st lap time is only a second or two off of eventual race fastest lap. And that's on easy.

Back