Super Formula to Hold Official GT Sport "Virtual Series"

Crikey Japan gets all the good stuff.

Also good speculation on other three showing it seems.

Nice, I posted earlier when SF came out that this is something that would be good to have. Except after reading the article it seems to me this is just series of live events taking place in Japan, and not a global online championship.

Maybe I'm wrong but I'm looking forward to hearing ore about this.

First things first: Sugo Sportland is an incredible track and i would love to see it in GT Sport. Motegi is also welcome. Of course it is true that its time for an US track like Laguna Seca, and many people would like to see a certain belgium track as we all know. However, i have to say, i enjoy the Gr. 2 Super GT the most in Gran Turismo Sport. It is my favorite class in this game by far. The more Super GT tracks i can get, the better!

I love Japan. I love the culture, people, architecture, technology, just wow. It's an amaazzing place.
However..
There has been a massive focus in "Japan /Japanese only" compared to it's past iterations.. am I missing something here, or is GT turning a little nationalist..?
Could these JP only events be a test run?

PD still seems to have alot of prestige with japanese motorsport companies,every deal made has been with japanese companies.

I love Japan. I love the culture, people, architecture, technology, just wow. It's an amaazzing place.
However..
There has been a massive focus in "Japan /Japanese only" compared to it's past iterations.. am I missing something here, or is GT turning a little nationalist..?

Testing in their own country is easier,then in the future they will branch out to other countries.Atleast thats what i hope is happening.

Its the general Japanese thing with gaming I think. It's like gaming, most Japanese games are (mostly)exclusive 3rd party to Sony, then Nintendo and Ninty have their own stuff mostly and then some exclusives from 3rd party

Damnit. Was really hoping we'd get more online races with this car. I'd prefer the Merc F1 over this but either one, I want to see more of in sport mode. The week we had the Super Formula as a daily race AND an FIA race was the best in months. Gr 3 and 4 are friggin boring. Open wheel cars are so much more fun.

However..
Is this your first GT game? It's always focused mostly on Japanese cars.

Is this your first GT game? It's always focused mostly on Japanese cars.
No, it's not... by a long shot.

Given the topic I assumed most would understand I'm talking about the events, not the cars. As far as cars are concerned GT has emboldened and included cars that have had a sizeable impact on car culture and the auto industry. Many of those cars happen to be Japanese, as Japan has in the past shaped the auto industry in it's own unique way.. but the cars are not my point.

My point is that for the last few months it seems that all we've been getting news about is how "such and such is doing X event... but it's only for Japan." And as I mentioned inquisitively is it a test run, or has the nationalist theme that seems to be gripping the world over also affecting a supposedly international title?

Last edited:
No, it's not... by a long shot.

Given the topic I assumed most would understand I'm talking about the events, not the cars. As far as cars are concerned GT has emboldened and included cars that have had a sizeable impact on car culture and the auto industry. Many of those cars happen to be Japanese, as Japan has in the past shaped the auto industry in it's own unique way.. but the cars are not my point.

My point is that for the last few months it seems that all we've been getting news about is how "such and such is doing X event... but it's only for Japan."
It's about awareness. Those not in the know, haven't heard about Japan race series, certain cars and culture. This is again, bringing about awareness.

First time I heard about the R32 GT-R, was in Car & Driver magazine, back in 1989. First time I saw a turbo Impreza, was Colin McRae and Richard Burns steering them in WRC. Living in the USA, why all these other countries get all the good stuff? Some countries at the time, envied our muscle cars, but I was amazed at the speed and handling of all these "little" cars.

Anyway, PD catering to their home country, why not? Besides, there's the Supra Cup that's world wide. There's more to come.

Living in the USA, why all these other countries get all the good stuff? Some countries at the time, envied our muscle cars, but I was amazed at the speed and handling of all these "little" cars.

It was a combination of emissions requirements, safety standards (piss poor crash tests), and I think price (don't quote me on that one) that disallowed alot of early Japanese sports coupes and sedans from entering the U.S. They lied alot back then about performance (i.e. emissions) underating cars deliberately and all that. *cough* 2020 Supra *cough*

It was a combination of emissions requirements, safety standards (piss poor crash tests), and I think price (don't quote me on that one) that disallowed alot of early Japanese sports coupes and sedans from entering the U.S. They lied alot back then about performance (i.e. emissions) underating cars deliberately and all that. *cough* 2020 Supra *cough*
Oh definitely lies. It was just the perception. My Dad always called foreign cars "death traps". Take a look at some of the crashes with USA cars from the 50s, 60s and 70s. Drum brakes(my '69 Cutlass had 4wheel drums), high hp, skinny tyres, and massive weight. Not a good combination on slippery surfaces. ;)

True, but I'd rather take real Pittsburgh steel over any imported Chinese insta-rust steel that Japan used (and now everyone uses) Such a shame really :/ Toyota truck frame recall anyone?

Ultimately it booked down to costs. The 300Z did not sell well at all at a total of 8,000 sales in the last 3 years. To run the conversions along with the testing required for the EPA, NHTSA, and who knows what else for carsthat sold for way more than the Z did at the time, it would have been a huge loss.. like plant closing loss. The truth is those companies just couldn't afford to export new models of sports cars back then.

Plus we wouldn't look at them the same as we do today if they weren't so rare.
Now the RX-7... That's a real mystery.

They're probably all community created, if you're in-game go on discover > Liveries, then go on I think it's called something like selected picks all the liveries are in there if you scroll down a bit. 👍
Yes, I have a lot of liveries created by the community. ;) But it would be a pleasant surprise if they come from the community. 👍
If they were using the normal replays it would be better to analyze them...

Back