Watch Renault's Megane Trophy-R Take Back the Front-Wheel Drive Nurburgring Crown

This is great and all, but if this is what it takes to beat a CTR in actually usable day-to-day spec, it kind of makes the Honda look better to actual people looking to buy a practical but also fast car.

Granted, the current CTR has its drawbacks, such as looking like a Transformer mid-transformation and IIRC a narrow boot aperture, but if I were in the market for a performance hatchback I don't think I'd trade rear seats and glass for 3.7 seconds.

That said I don't actually know what the price delta is, or what the gap between the more sensible Mégane and CTR was.

I'm getting old, aren't I?

Thank you Renault! Thank you for beating that ghastly designed pre-riced Civic Type-R with your modest, wingless, single exhaust, sleek, more sensible looking Trophy-R. Finally the new FWD Nord record looks more grown up. As opposed to that winged-up fake-vented triple exhausted "Civic".

Congratulations!
2019_renault_megane_rs_trophy_12_1024x768.jpg
2019_renault_megane_rs_trophy_13_1024x768.jpg
2019_renault_megane_rs_trophy_15_1024x768.jpg
2019_renault_megane_rs_trophy_5_1024x768.jpg

(It's not exactly the Trophy-R, but you get the point, not many pics of the Trophy-R yet)

Thank you Renault! Thank you for beating that ghastly designed pre-riced Civic Type-R with your modest, wingless, single exhaust, sleek, more sensible looking Trophy-R. Finally the new FWD Nord record looks more grown up. As opposed to that winged-up fake-vented triple exhausted "Civic".

I dunno, I think the front end of the Megane, with its in-bumper lipstick and hood scoops/vents makes it significantly less modest than the one you posted. Plus, a likely stripped interior in a five-door hatch is hardly "grown up". I'd even argue it sort of defeats the purpose of a hot hatch, really.

When it comes to exhaust tips, both cars are guilty of fake tips.

Not going to argue the sheer accomplishment here for a front-driver, though. 7:40 was the stuff of supercars a decade or so ago. I'm with @neema_t on which I'd probably rather own given the opportunity. Plus, the worst part of the Civic — the looks — become so much less of an issue on the inside. :lol:

(It's not exactly the Trophy-R, but you get the point, not many pics of the Trophy-R yet)
I put them in the article. Also the Civic doesn't have plastic windows and a cage instead of rear seats, and isn't an exclusive limited run model... and there's another one coming up soon...

Fun fact, this Megane is 37s, or on average 7.5mph, faster than Renault's first Ring "record" Megane, the R26R.

Alternate headline:

Watch Bridgestone's S007, equipped with a Renault Megane, Take Back the Front-Wheel Drive Nurburgring Crown [from Michelin's Pilot Sport Cup 2].

[/s, kinda]

Why are all the records not set on a full lap?
It depends. Until recently, cars weren't allowed to go full speed through T13 (can't remember why, possibly because of the extremely short pit exit overlapping the racing line), so the start and finish points were separated to allow for the speed limit there.

"Modest" and "grown up" cars have straight-outta-2003 vinyl graphics covering the sides?

Back