Polyphony Digital Hires Ex-Ridge Racer Director for UX Design

If UI & UX on GT already looks great, imagine now with the next GT game...

UI sure, UX not really.

I don't get why we need to click 3 or 4 times, with small load times, if we're in a dealership and just want to go to the home page (we have no other option than to go to the home page really), click 1 to go back to the manufactured menu, 2 to the region, 3 to the world and 4 to finally go to the home page.

Same if you're in a Career event / race. Makes no sense. "Hold circle" function would be much better.

Not to mention the livery editor...

Would be great to have instant menus in the next GT though. Judging by the performance info and demonstrations we saw last week, it shouldn't be a problem.

If there's something I miss from the old games are the instant menu navigation. :D

Last edited:
I think the whole UI design in GT Sport is fantastic. I was quite shocked when i saw GT5s menus a couple of months ago. Harsh comparsion.

I wonder if this guy did the UI / menu design for Ridge Racer V, too? That is still one of the most stylish games ever created.

UI sure, UX not really.

I don't get why we need to click 3 or 4 times, with small load times, if we're in a dealership and just want to go to the home page (we have no other option than to go to the home page really), click 1 to go back to the manufactured menu, 2 to the region, 3 to the world and 4 to finally go to the home page.

Same if you're in a Career event / race. Makes no sense. "Hold circle" function would be much better.

Not to mention the livery editor...

Would be great to have instant menus in the next GT though. Judging by the performance info and demonstrations we saw last week, it shouldn't be a problem.

If there's something I miss from the old games are the instant menu navigation. :D
I went to take a photo for today's Daily Races article, but forgot I didn't have room to save a photo.

The game didn't tell me until after I'd posed the photo, set up all the settings, taken the photo and then went to save it.

From there it took thirteen individual button-presses to get to the main menu before I could head into my Library to delete some images. And then I could go back and have another go at taking the photo all over again.

I think the whole UI design in GT Sport is fantastic. I was quite shocked when i saw GT5s menus a couple of months ago. Harsh comparsion.

I wonder if this guy did the UI / menu design for Ridge Racer V, too? That is still one of the most stylish games ever created.
Yes! You can watch it right here.

I went to take a photo for today's Daily Races article, but forgot I didn't have room to save a photo.

The game didn't tell me until after I'd posed the photo, set up all the settings, taken the photo and then went to save it.

From there it took thirteen individual button-presses to get to the main menu before I could head into my Library to delete some images. And then I could go back and have another go at taking the photo all over again.

That's even worse.

Today I got the "unable to record" (or whatever message pops up) while I was on lap 8/15 of a career event. I guess it would only save the first 8 laps.

After that I spent a lot of time deleting older replays.

Since the replays and photos we share stay in the cloud even after we delete them from our personal library, I think the system could automatically replace older files with the new ones. Or at least give the option to do it.

R4's interface was a bit clunky (mostly due to how it did advancing and backing up through menus); but RRV's interface from top to bottom was without peer in how well crafted it was. Stylish while still being simple and responsive and intuitive.

The only time PD have come close is with GT3's, and I suspect that was just because they didn't have enough content in the game to bloat it since GT4's was atrocious in comparison.

Always loved the Interface of the Ridge Racer games. RRV to me is one of the best along with the clean Airport-style UI of the PSP Titles. I also like the clean asethetic of R Racing Evolution as well.

UI and UX of this actual GT has plenty of room for improvement. Doesn't mean it is not nice, though.
(But if only they spend all those hours of development to make a strong base of rules, consistent track limits... I should easily sacrifice some UI glitches for a reasonable and fair online _sport_ possibility. Instead of sneaky dodgem playing.)

Tbh, I'm hoping for the world map GT UI with functional maps (also use that same map for open world, if GT implements that). It gave the immersion of the true "welcome to the world of GT". And I think it can also use the top screen feature of GT Sport in menus anywhere (but keeping the home, arcade, etc. icons), like GT1 and GT2's shortcut to Home, Events, Save.....Speaking of that, RR7 has some kind of world map in its Grand Prix.

I'm also hoping for the dealership to use lineups again (it feels like truly in dealership where you read the menus about the cars), bringing back the Manufacturer menu in GT Sport (similar to GT2, though in GTS it's added with Museum or Video) is a good first step.

I don’t understand all the rave about R4’s UI. To me, it looks unexceptional, and typical of the PS1 era.

In any case, PD’s expansion is always a good thing in my mind. No doubt this gentleman will be working straight on “GT7”
I agree, I also felt this. I know good things about it (especially in its own era) like the graphics but think sometimes R4 is a bit overrated (and I've played long R4 too). The nicest of R4 were the car selection (where it shows full garage) and the track (menu before the race) IMO.

Always loved the Interface of the Ridge Racer games. RRV to me is one of the best along with the clean Airport-style UI of the PSP Titles. I also like the clean asethetic of R Racing Evolution as well.
PSP Ridge Racer is much improved version of RRV IMO (without the animations of RRV).

Last edited:
Ridge Racer Type 4, so many great memories! Almost everything was perfect in that game. (menu, music, tracks, teams, cars)
I remember buying this game because I couldn't wait for Gran Turismo 2. :lol:

Also, why the hell can't PD put the "start race" option after the "open chat" option in the pause menu while in lobbies? It's so freaking stupid to start races by mistake or having a test on empty tank ruined because someone clicked "start race" by mistake.

Really dumb UX and UI.

I don't know what some of you are talking about but the functionality of the UI has always been horrible in GT games. Right now, to paint my new car with a unique livery I have to...

go the garage,
sort by manufacture,
scroll all the way down to Toyota (because you can't invert the filter in the picture view),
compare dupes to make sure I don't reuse the same livery,
select car,
change car,
change livery,
select collection,
realize I'm out of unique liveries,
hit cancel,
wait,
hit cancel again,
hit circle to regress,
select discover,
select search,
select livery
selection nation, make, model,
set filter to replica,
proceed to search empty pages for each consecutive week backwards until I find a livery,
download livery,
back out via the X button in the corner,
go back to the garage,
sort by manufacture,
scroll all the way down to Toyota (because you can't invert the filter in the picture view),
select car,
change car,
change livery,
select collection,
apply livery
FIN

Definition of a first world issue there mate. That's bad organisation on your part that you decide must be the UI at fault.

Definition of a first world issue there mate. That's bad organisation on your part that you decide must be the UI at fault.

Is there a video game issue that's a third world issue? Please do tell me which video games drastically effect the third world.

Yeah, I don't accept your dismissive take on my observation. We could go on and on with other broken work flows, like that you can't delete liveries from the garage. The complaints go on and on throughout the UI. PD interfaces have always been cumbersome, load heavy, and non intuitive despite looking nice.

Is there a video game issue that's a third world issue? Please do tell me which video games drastically effect the third world.

Yeah, I don't accept your dismissive take on my observation. We could go on and on with other broken work flows, like that you can't delete liveries from the garage. The complaints go on and on throughout the UI. PD interfaces have always been cumbersome, load heavy, and non intuitive despite looking nice.
Well yeah, if you say looking nice but having those issues, means that the UI is good, but the UX (more lies to functionality) is bad. In case of GTS, I think they should've kept all the Top Screen features on every menu (giving me GT1/GT2 Simulation mode vibes).

Go to look at liveries. See one you like. Download it. Go to garage get in the car go to livery, select collection, choose livery. Apply. Seriously it couldn't get any easier.

Go to look at liveries. See one you like. Download it. Go to garage get in the car go to livery, select collection, choose livery. Apply. Seriously it couldn't get any easier.

Why would I go to liveries if I might have one on the shelf that I haven't used yet? You're acting like I'm not playing this game in the real world. In the real world, people grab more liveries than they use and then they have to navigate the backlog against future downloads because there is a limit. This long process of determining what I have on hand versus downloading new liveries is a real process despite how much you want to dismiss the problem.

Dismissing real world work flows is not how you develop or iteratively design a solid UI flow.

Well yeah, if you say looking nice but having those issues, means that the UI is good, but the UX (more lies to functionality) is bad. In case of GTS, I think they should've kept all the Top Screen features on every menu (giving me GT1/GT2 Simulation mode vibes).

UX was just an apple term to high road UI designers. It was the pretentious notion that everyone else was just designing a menu where as "the gods at apple" were designing the entire user experience through the interface. In truth, everybody was designing UX and UI, they just didn't communicate with those terms until Apple popularized it.

But yes the nomenclature was adopted and you are correct, I am criticizing the UX.

Why would I go to liveries if I might have one on the shelf that I haven't used yet? You're acting like I'm not playing this game in the real world. In the real world, people grab more liveries than they use and then they have to navigate the backlog against future downloads because there is a limit. This long process of determining what I have on hand versus downloading new liveries is a real process despite how much you want to dismiss the problem.

Dismissing real world work flows is not how you develop or iteratively design a solid UI flow.

UX was just an apple term to high road UI designers. It was the pretentious notion that everyone else was just designing a menu where as "the gods at apple" were designing the entire user experience through the interface. In truth, everybody was designing UX and UI, they just didn't communicate with those terms until Apple popularized it.

But yes the nomenclature was adopted and you are correct, I am criticizing the UX.
In that case get in the car. Select livery. Select collection. Find livery. Apply livery. It really isn't the issue you are projecting. There are problems with the UI - there are with all UI, but that isn't one of them. I don't play GTS often and yet I don't have any problem with what I try to do.

In that case get in the car. Select livery. Select collection.

Ooops, you have 3 redundant liveries that are similar. Sorry, can't delete liveries from the garage. You've already got two Calsonic skins for that Atenza, time to back all the way out and use the Discovery tab to find that rad Harbo gummy livery you saw 10 months back. Enjoy clicking through empty pages for 10 minutes until you find that.

You can blame me all you want for the poor UX but I didn't design it. And you'll be wasting time blaming all of the other players who have issues with all of the various weird dead spots in the UX design. PD literally just hired someone for the UX because clearly it was an issue so I don't even know what you think you're defending here.

Back