Certain F1 2019 Customizable Liveries Cost $2 Each

Ehhhh... I find it pretty hard to defend that. Other games have been doing it sinificantly better and for free for several years now. Don't see why anyone would way for these.

They probably just wanted to dip their toes into the current microtransaction-buisness-model meta-game without really knowing how.

Last edited:
tenor.gif

I'll repeat what I said in the other thread - Content like this (which is entirely optional and is supported by in game unlocks) goes a long way to helping the studio support the development of future titles. The prices are relatively low and the items you purchase are then further customisable, so not a bad deal overall.

Comparing them to games that offer full livery editors is ridiculous too, the liveries in GT Sport and Forza are free because users created them

I don't really have strong feelings towards these types of microtransactions. If someone wants to buy a livery for two dollars go right ahead.
Microtransactions that affect gameplay however, are another matter.
Billy hits on the key points

Agree with pretty much everything he says, except for one thing: the fun bit. :lol: I'm having a lot of fun driving these cars (F2) around the tracks, and I haven't even started on F1 yet. Sure, the handling model leaves a lot to be desired but for me it's just enough to be fun to drive.

And the AI is brilliant, which by the way he forgot to mention in his review. I suppose he just did hotlapping with different cars given that he only had 2 hours.

Btw, he brings up a good point: "This is supposed to appeal to a mass market....it's actually rather difficult to drive. I could understand if it was easier to drive." This is something I started thinking about when I transitioned from GT to PC sims some years ago. The PC ("hardcore") sims were easier to drive than GT, which is supposed to have a less refined handling model and appeal to a mass market. They are also easier to drive than F1 2019. Go figure. EDIT: Or maybe it's because they are optimized for gamepads? I dunno.

Last edited:
Yeah, they're all in the business of making money, but for many players, this is a hobby. Just like slot cars, R/C, Hot Wheels, etc. Extras cost money. Whether there are choices to buy extras or not. It also pays big money, to those that are good at it and to those that want to get paid.

Geez, as much as I wouldn't want Codemasters to go under I hope people won't support it. It's insane compared to something like GTS where you have thousands of liveries (including "official" ones) available for free.

It’s important to note that these liveries are all editable, though not as freely as elsewhere in the genre. Players can tweak the colors, usually anywhere from two to four per livery, to their specific choices. It’s certainly far more DriveClub than Forza or Gran Turismo in terms of creative freedom.

More than GTS?? I thought you can do everything you want in GTS and that you aren't bound by these boundaries they have in F1 2019......... But maybe I have two different games.....

More than GTS?? I thought you can do everything you want in GTS and that you aren't bound by these boundaries they have in F1 2019......... But maybe I have two different games.....
They mean it’s more similar to driveclubs “livery editor” than Forza or GT

Personally I think this is another overreaction to a small aspect of a great game. The liveries are just extra stuff for the multiplayer Spec Car with no affect on SP at all and with no advantage whatsoever even in multiplayer races. Nowhere near as bad as the MT’s in most other games

People getting upset over nothing. This is all cosmetic stuff no one is forcing you to buy it. If this was pay to win you complainers would have a point. Since it's not pay to win, you don't.

Personally I think this is another overreaction to a small aspect of a great game. The liveries are just extra stuff for the multiplayer Spec Car with no affect on SP at all and with no advantage whatsoever even in multiplayer races. Nowhere near as bad as the MT’s in most other games
You're right. People see the words micro transaction and they overreact.

Last edited by a moderator:
Codemasters aren’t as big as say GT or Forza so I don’t blame them trying to get a lil extra money some where. And $2 is nothing. Also it’s not forced and the liveries are not that special it’s really just for who wants it or wants to complete their set. It’s no big deal to me because every game I own has micro transactions implemented some way or another. I’m more interested in the helmets and gloves.

@JR98 It is not an overreaction towards a 'small' aspect of the game just confused about the text. There are a lot of people who spend more time on designing liveries than racing in a race game. I really like the realism of this game and the graphic performance!

@devildog666 the reaction isn't focussed on the microtransaction, but more to the creative liberty to make your own designs.

The PC ("hardcore") sims were easier to drive than GT, which is supposed to have a less refined handling model and appeal to a mass market.

You've hit the nail on the head there and the main reason for my return.
I'm not bashing F1, it looks great and I agree the AI are decent.

Just can't get on with the driving model it doesn't feel natural or fluid, also not being able to use a mouse in the UI may seem trivial but it's kind of a pain in the arse.

Those that are on PC know where I'm coming from.

Just can't get on with the driving model it doesn't feel natural or fluid, also not being able to use a mouse in the UI may seem trivial but it's kind of a pain in the arse.

Those that are on PC know where I'm coming from.

Wait, you can't use a mouse on the UI? That's a pretty bad omission from a PC title, and it's not exactly hard to implement either.

The Microtransactions is okay if not rather pointless. No point of the outrage really.

You can redirect all of the Codemasters Microtransactions concern and hatred on Dirt Rally 2.0.

Another sports game on the microtransaction crap train. A shame, i was intending to buy the game but after i learned about the microtransactions i refused to give them money for it. An editor like Gt sport where peoplw can upload whatever decal they want would a far better option, but i guess codies much like other companies love the easier greedy path. A shame indeed...

An editor like Gt sport where peoplw can upload whatever decal they want would a far better option, but i guess codies much like other companies love the easier greedy path. A shame indeed...

Micro-transactions are not always the "easier" path, though. Dealing with online transactions can be an absolute nightmare, especially when you start dealing with product entitlements and consumable options such as virtual currency. That's before you even try and get it certified for release on consoles.

The only easier path they've taken is putting the liveries directly on the applicable platform storefronts as opposed to using their own. Smart move.

Last edited:
Meh. It's just $2 for cosmetics stuff, no big deal. I mean in GTS you buy cars with real money if you don't want to grind so yeah. Although I spoke about this two months ago(?), seeing it now, it's not as big as a deal as I originally thought.

The overreaction is funny though.

Back