The De Tomaso P72 is One Sexy Stick-Shift Supercar

Lose the rose gold and replace with a less shiny metal and this car would be even more beautiful. The exterior takes great inspiration from 60's classic motorcars apart from the wheels. Interior is gorgeous also, with the lovely latticed leather, minus the obundence of shiny metal.

The exterior of this car is just gorgeous. It reminds me a bit of something that SCG might make, actually.

The interior, on the other hand is WAAAAY too over-done and ends up looking tacky rather than opulent.

Good grief! You're right- this is a COMPLETELY sexy car! It reminds me of a modern, street-legal (or was it?) Ferrari 330/P4. This is a much different De Tomaso than the Pantera GTS that I fell in love with since playing "Tokyo Xtreme Racer 3." But again... what a car!

I saw that do Ng it's run. Exactly what the commentators said about it being a modern classic Le Mans racer. Awesome car.

Absolutely gorgeous, especially love the 60's curves around the wheels but there is no bad angle on this car, and as above, Ferrari P4 vibes for me too.

Dang it - my photos of it are on my other (proper) camera.

It looked gorgeous driving up the Hill Climb on Friday.

Only other time I saw it, it was on a square plinth by the Cartier lawn which was heavily manned by Americans and public were not allowed to walk on, which meant you couldn't get close enough for a good look at the interior. When I saw it, the bonnet and the back of the car were both up giving a good look at the engine (which looked impressive to my *knows very little technically about engines to be honest* own eyes.

It's beautiful at the front and I also liked the middle and rear of it when I saw it on the Hill Climb too. So, all in all I was impressed.

Incidentally, they had a batch of DeTomaso competition cars on the Cartier lawn next to it. Everyone around me was talking about the fact they'd never heard of the make before. I wonder how many of us on here only know of it because of the Pantera in GT Sport?

Best interior hands down, I actually love all the gold.

I think this is a very "Marmite" thing - You'll either love it or hate it.

This car in that respect is a complete dichotomy. The interior aesthetic does not belong to the exterior, or vice versa. Of course there's no accounting for taste, of which I've been accused many times of having none ;), and now that we've established I can say that the interior reminds me of a musty old antiques shop.

For my money I'd take the interior of the Lambo Sesto Elemento any day as an example of how a hypercar's interior should be - purely and utterly functional.

I wonder how many of us on here only know of it because of the Pantera in GT Sport?

I thought it was better known than it perhaps is. I used to see them when I bought Top Marques to look at all the rare cars, and the Pantera was a friends dream car. He became a surgeon, I wonder if he has one now. It used to be in car books a fair bit, and always stood out as looking damn cool.

Plus VGTs for companies that basically stopped actually existing decades ago are nearly as much of a joke as the ones done by companies that make shoes and such.

Incidentally, they had a batch of DeTomaso competition cars on the Cartier lawn next to it. Everyone around me was talking about the fact they'd never heard of the make before. I wonder how many of us on here only know of it because of the Pantera in GT Sport?

If there's one thing I've learned from listening to people around me at Goodwood, it's that many people who are into cars don't know much about cars.

Anyway, the DeTomaso isn't normally my cup of tea styling wise, maybe it was the environment, but I thought is looked great...

IMG_20190704_112832-1024x768.jpg
IMG_20190704_112842-1024x768.jpg
IMG_20190704_112823-1024x768.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_190707_200848659_crop_5046x1250-3784x937.jpg

If there's one thing I've learned from listening to people around me at Goodwood, it's that many people who are into cars don't know much about cars.

Anyway, the DeTomaso isn't normally my cup of tea styling wise, maybe it was the environment, but I thought is looked great...

View attachment 834177 View attachment 834178 View attachment 834179

View attachment 834182

Thanks for these. I'm sure the blue sky helped enhance the looks, especially in that colour.

I probably fall in that category of loving cars, but not knowing much about them. My excitement though heightens mostly around knowing a specific car's history, e.g. seeing the 1955 Mille Miglia record holding Mercedes.

Latest Posts

Back