The De Tomaso P72 is One Sexy Stick-Shift Supercar

Discussion in 'Auto News' started by GTPNewsWire, Jul 6, 2019.

1. trustjab

trustjab

I'm on the fence with this one. I think it's nice for a throwback, but too overdone and those wheels/mirrors are kinda what gives me that vibe. Some bits of the interior too. Apparently Jim Glickenhaus is not a fan according to his words on twitter. Can't say I blame him. Probably has that "been there, done that" if I were to guess.

2. TomBrady

TomBrady

I love it. Exterior reminds me of the P4/5, but better. Interior reminds me of the Huayra which is my favorite interior ever so I'm definitely a fan. Love how you can see the mechanical bits of the shifter exposed.

3. VXR

VXR

But it's based on a 60s De Tomaso racing car, Glickenhaus has some nerve literally commissioning a been there done that modern interpretation of a 60s racing car...

4. CLowndes888

CLowndes888

Wait is it actually a Glikenhaus commissioned car?

5. VXR

VXR

Built for Ferrari and then redesigned by Pininfarina for Glickenhaus, so I'd consider that commissioned.

6. TexRex

TexRex Premium

Seems to me that question was regarding the De Tomaso, but I may well be mistaken.

7. McLaren

McLaren Premium

Some information being left out, as I was wondering why Glickenhaus was being brought up.

Apparently, Jim G. said DeTomaso copied his P4/5 which is rather daft because as VXR said, both the P4/5 & P72 are based on 60's racing cars and Jim had his Piper P4 as the influencing car. It's actually even more silly on Glickenhaus' end because he ran into issues with Ferrari when he took Pininfarina's design of the P4/5 and turned it into a racecar on an old 430 Scud. chassis with its own VIN without Ferrari's approval (as Montezemolo decided the P4/5 should wear the Ferrari name). Ferrari in turn, refused to give the team any parts causing a falling out between them and the Competizione to not wear a Ferrari badge.

VXR likes this.
  8. CLowndes888

CLowndes888

I'm not talking about the P4/5, which I know was a Glickenhaus commissioned vehicle. I guess my question is, did Glickenhaus ALSO commission this new De Tomaso?

You aren't mistaken.

VXR likes this.
  9. McLaren

McLaren Premium

No, he didn’t. He thinks they copied him.

VXR likes this.
  10. CSMDuty11

CSMDuty11

There's clearly only one way to solve this predicament
    Which one looks more like a GTA car? :lol:
    [​IMG]
    No, I'm not being serious

VXR likes this.
  11. VXR

VXR

Well played, Sir!