The De Tomaso P72 is One Sexy Stick-Shift Supercar

I'm on the fence with this one. I think it's nice for a throwback, but too overdone and those wheels/mirrors are kinda what gives me that vibe. Some bits of the interior too. Apparently Jim Glickenhaus is not a fan according to his words on twitter. Can't say I blame him. Probably has that "been there, done that" if I were to guess.

I love it. Exterior reminds me of the P4/5, but better. Interior reminds me of the Huayra which is my favorite interior ever so I'm definitely a fan. Love how you can see the mechanical bits of the shifter exposed.

But it's based on a 60s De Tomaso racing car, Glickenhaus has some nerve literally commissioning a been there done that modern interpretation of a 60s racing car...

VXR
But it's based on a 60s De Tomaso racing car, Glickenhaus has some nerve literally commissioning a been there done that modern interpretation of a 60s racing car...
Wait is it actually a Glikenhaus commissioned car?

VXR
Built for Ferrari and then redesigned by Pininfarina for Glickenhaus, so I'd consider that commissioned.
Seems to me that question was regarding the De Tomaso, but I may well be mistaken.

Some information being left out, as I was wondering why Glickenhaus was being brought up.

Apparently, Jim G. said DeTomaso copied his P4/5 which is rather daft because as VXR said, both the P4/5 & P72 are based on 60's racing cars and Jim had his Piper P4 as the influencing car. It's actually even more silly on Glickenhaus' end because he ran into issues with Ferrari when he took Pininfarina's design of the P4/5 and turned it into a racecar on an old 430 Scud. chassis with its own VIN without Ferrari's approval (as Montezemolo decided the P4/5 should wear the Ferrari name). Ferrari in turn, refused to give the team any parts causing a falling out between them and the Competizione to not wear a Ferrari badge.

VXR
Built for Ferrari and then redesigned by Pininfarina for Glickenhaus, so I'd consider that commissioned.
I'm not talking about the P4/5, which I know was a Glickenhaus commissioned vehicle. I guess my question is, did Glickenhaus ALSO commission this new De Tomaso?

Seems to me that question was regarding the De Tomaso, but I may well be mistaken.
You aren't mistaken.

I'm not talking about the P4/5, which I know was a Glickenhaus commissioned vehicle. I guess my question is, did Glickenhaus ALSO commission this new De Tomaso?

You aren't mistaken.
No, he didn’t. He thinks they copied him.

There's clearly only one way to solve this predicament
Which one looks more like a GTA car? :lol:
468ecf30-ferrari-p45-vs-de-tomaso-p7.jpg
No, I'm not being serious

I actually interviewed Ryan Berris at the time, and when I asked about the engine he said something along the lines of De Tomaso not confirming what the powertrain was just yet but it'd be true to the brand's history. I said "So, a big Ford V8 then?" and he smiled and said he couldn't confirm anything at that time.

Wasn't exactly predicting the future with that 'guess' though :lol:

Supercharged V8...check. Wild go-faster styling...check. If I could get it in black, it would be a fitting MFP Interceptor.

At least this V8 is supercharged -- along with the rest, it's not just another turbo-V8 paddle-shift pseudo-AWD hybrid with a fashionably chintzy and repulsive touchscreen-festooned interior. Incredible. :)

“In our opinion the market is now over-saturated with commercially driven, ‘limited edition’ models primarily marketed on performance metrics. We have grown tired of this notion and thus took a contrarian approach with the P72.

A stark contrast in almost every aspect of today’s market, the P72 is a true ‘Modern-Day Time Machine’; a car that has been over-subscribed without revealing any performance figures, nor disclosing the engine, as the P72 owners and enthusiasts realize the historical significance of this program and therefore have disproved the notion that one needs to produce the fastest or most powerful car on earth to garner interest. We focus on the provenance and the overall experience as a brand and for our clients.”
Respect. 👍 👍

Focusing on the quality and the overall experince, and perfecting both, instead of focusing on performance.

This is why De Tomaso is the best. :bowdown: I'd rather enjoy the drive, than have 2000HP in a pancake, which I wouldn't even need 99% of the time.

I can't wait to hear that baby purr... :drool:

Sorry for editing your post like that, but from that angle, the De Tomaso P72 looks indeed like a clear copycat of the Ferrari P4/5, which is a "modern take" on Ferrari 330 P4 (therefore **** Glickenhaus, he got what he paid for in 2006). But that old Shelby-De Tomaso P70 (early 60's) they are throwing around as "inpiration" has literally nothing in common with the new P72 design wise, so they are full of **** and indeed copied "the source Ferrari"...:boggled: + obviously looked at Pagani's "homework" while they were "inspired" by...urmmm...what "De Tomaso" car as a reference for that interior?:boggled::boggled:

TBF, Lamborghini was undeniably copying De Tomaso in 70's (Pantera->Urraco, Mangusta->Espada), but no-one seems to give a **** about it...

Sorry for editing your post like that, but from that angle, the De Tomaso P72 looks indeed like a clear copycat of the Ferrari P4/5, which is a "modern take" on Ferrari 330 P4 (therefore **** Glickenhaus, he got what he paid for in 2006). But that old Shelby-De Tomaso P70 (early 60's) they are throwing around as "inpiration" has literally nothing in common with the new P72 design wise, so they are full of **** and indeed copied "the source Ferrari"...:boggled: + obviously looked at Pagani's "homework" while they were "inspired" by...urmmm...what "De Tomaso" car as a reference for that interior?:boggled::boggled:

TBF, Lamborghini was undeniably copying De Tomaso in 70's (Pantera->Urraco, Mangusta->Espada), but no-one seems to give a **** about it...
The Mangusta & Espada have similar rear end sweeps, and that's it. If you go by history, you'll find Lamborghini was arguably out first.

Guigiaro's Mangusta came around in '66-'67, but was originally intended to be Ghia's '65 Sport 5000 (the open-top car this P72 referenced in its design). De Tomaso changed the rear steel chassis of the Sport 5000 which then became the base for the Mangusta. Guigiaro added his signature rear doors with the design.
Gandini's Espada was born from the '65 Marzal concept. The design remained relatively unchanged with obvious changes for production-required regulations.

As for the other 2, beyond the front hood profiles, there's nothing to be called "undeniable" there. I doubt Gandini saw the Pantera in March of 1970 and immediately drew up the Urraco 7 months later to copy it. If anything, the Urraco shares a much closer profile the Ferrari GT4, a car that actually has more credit towards the Urraco's creation than the Pantera.

The Mangusta & Espada have similar rear end sweeps, and that's it. If you go by history, you'll find Lamborghini was arguably out first.

Guigiaro's Mangusta came around in '66-'67, but was originally intended to be Ghia's '65 Sport 5000 (the open-top car this P72 referenced in its design). De Tomaso changed the rear steel chassis of the Sport 5000 which then became the base for the Mangusta. Guigiaro added his signature rear doors with the design.
Gandini's Espada was born from the '65 Marzal concept. The design remained relatively unchanged with obvious changes for production-required regulations.

As for the other 2, beyond the front hood profiles, there's nothing to be called "undeniable" there. I doubt Gandini saw the Pantera in March of 1970 and immediately drew up the Urraco 7 months later to copy it. If anything, the Urraco shares a much closer profile the Ferrari GT4, a car that actually has more credit towards the Urraco's creation than the Pantera.

Like for design history

How exciting it must have been when Gandini and Guigiaro (not to mention Tjaarda!) , in their prime, were throwing up paradigm shifting designs left and right. Sometimes I try to put myself in the mindset of seeing these glorious wedges for the first in that time period, and thinking about what basically all cars had looked like up until that point. Just think about what a sports car looked like in 1956 and then compare it to the Mangusta. :eek:

I guess I should've said that DeTomaso is most known for using V8s in their cars, but I still don't know what that guy was talking about regarding it having a V12.
Could be something about it sharing a platform with the Apollo Intensa Emozione, which is powered by a V12 that the P72 won't be getting.

Back