Entering the FIA Motorsport Games Digital Cup Could Cost You $1,000

No worries, I'll be at the Ken Block Monster Energy Forza Horizon Mountain Dew Drift Area presented by Microsoft, soaking in that lovely corporate ambience whilst watching an FIA official make some real quick kid pay £1000 to play Gran Turismo for "exposure".

Not liking where this is heading. It's like the FIA got together to have a big jealousy rant about all that olympics revenue they miss out on and just vindictively decided to launch their own.

I mean, if it provides some good racing, cool I guess, but I can see the McDonald's banners already.

What would the National Sporting Authority be for the United States? IMSA? SCCA? NASCAR? (That last one was a joke, folks.)

What would the National Sporting Authority be for the United States? IMSA? SCCA? NASCAR? (That last one was a joke, folks.)
It's ACCUS-FIA. That's one of six ASNs I contacted for the story.

Its website is incredible.

Those are all indeed members of the actual ASN (French abbreviations...) But unlike most of the other ASNs, they do basically nothing, having delegated all of their power to their members and mostly just serving as a pass-through to the FIA. I doubt they even know this is going on...

Last edited:
This post was probably due for April 1st, not August 1st. You can make millions of dollars by playing a free to play game like Fortnite, yet here we have to pay and there's no prize money in the end. :lol:👍

Before we judge, what does the €1000 actually cover? If it includes flights, accommodation and everything else like a package holiday it's an expensive jolly but not as outrageous as it seems on face value. I'm sure some wealthy players will be happy to play for the chance to win a FIA championship.

Before we judge, what does the €1000 actually cover? If it includes flights, accommodation and everything else like a package holiday it's an expensive jolly but not as outrageous as it seems on face value. I'm sure some wealthy players will be happy to play for the chance to win a FIA championship.

A lot of expenses interms of organising the entire event, admin costs, organisational costs, bespoke car constructors like Birel & KCMG, etc,.

There's A LOT going into this event and there are bigger plans down the road for inclusion, so I think €1,000 is reasonable considering how much it could have been.

Before we judge, what does the €1000 actually cover?
It's the entry fee. It's what you pay to be eligible to participate. It definitely does not cover:
flights, accommodation and everything else like a package holiday
Now, as @Phaceless_Ph points out, there's a lot to pay for. FIA/SRO are effectively renting Vallelunga for four days, and all the personnel that entails - not just the track space, but the conference centre and media areas too. All of the disciplines have entry fees, with the GT3 category costing the most:

upload_2019-8-2_13-59-3.png

The entrants themselves, not their ASN, are liable for the entry fee - but it seems to be left up to the ASN to determine whether they will cover the costs or find sponsors to cover the costs, or leave the drivers to fend for themselves. Personally, I think it's a little unwise to charge the gamers at all because they're the people already least likely to have sponsorship to cover the costs, and if an ASN opts not to help them find sponsorship they will lose out on quality drivers over spods with a grand to blow on vanity.

There is an entry form available for you to enter independently if you wish. However you need to have the ASN's consent (and provide two names from the ASN giving consent) to enter, and a kiloeuro payable to the FIA...

Those ASNs I spoke to who actually knew what was going on seemed undecided. And in the minority - most seem to have no clue.

Welp, its a good job the FIAGTC is a bit more accessible than this
Your best bet is to contact the Race & Kart team at Motorsport UK. For varying values of "best".

FIA is the utter monopoly that completely made real Motorsport unaccessible without providing no value whatsoever.
They effectively completely destroyed the market of amateur Motorsport, even a simple kart now costs around 10k while having a single digit percentage of the components that a similarly priced car has.
That is mostly caused by useless overregulation, and by a blatant monopoly European they gained through lobbying over entire european Motorsport
Please keep that **** away from virtual racing

FIA is the utter monopoly that completely made real Motorsport unaccessible without providing no value whatsoever.
They effectively completely destroyed the market of amateur Motorsport, even a simple kart now costs around 10k while having a single digit percentage of the components that a similarly priced car has.
That is mostly caused by useless overregulation, and by a blatant monopoly European they gained through lobbying over entire european Motorsport
Please keep that **** away from virtual racing

You pretty much don’t have a clue what you’re talking about here. Motorsport costs a lot of money to organise, so you’re basically saying you’d rather see a bunch of free events, then act puzzled when the sanctioning body does a Cricket Kenya, goes bust and the vast majority of the sport disappears. Great trail of thought there buddy 👍

Back