PlayStation 4 is Now the Second Best-Selling Home Console Ever

Only counting home consoles sony now has 4 out of the top 5 best selling systems of all times :bowdown:

PS2 - 155m units
PS4 - 102.8m units
PS1 - 102.49m units
Wii - 101.63m units
PS3 - 87m unites

Last edited:
What a missed opportunity by Poly... I still can't believe we won't see any "classic" GT this gen.
But despite the lack of it, the PS4 is still a highly successful console. And 100 million units is a lot more than the lifetime sales of the PS3 itself.

CrossGen/BackCompat? I just found that my 2nd fav GT, GT2 is missing!? Aaargh!!!

I may even pay to play it online... if l can find another copy without the glitched-bug disc. Still got the memcard!

The Ace Combat series online may be even better.

Only counting home consoles sony now has 4 out of the top 5 best selling systems of all times :bowdown:

PS2 - 155m units
PS4 - 102.8m units
PS1 - 102.49m units
Wii - 101.63m units
PS3 - 87m unites
Very impressive indeed.

Very impressive especially considering that there is no true and popular way to do Piracy even as for now unlike PS2 and even PS3 at its later years.

(Note: Yes PS2 sold more than PS4 as for now but keep mind the release date, 14 years jumpstart, and the cost)

Maybe the pirates has given up.

PS2 - 155m units
PS4 - 102.8m units
PS1 - 102.49m units
Wii - 101.63m units
PS3 - 87m unites

I'm very surprised by those stats, I thought PS3 would be higher (that was my fav, with PS4 being my least fav).

VBR
I'm very surprised by those stats, I thought PS3 would be higher (that was my fav, with PS4 being my least fav).
The third PS didn't even managed to reach at least 100 million units before it was discontinued, sadly.

VBR
The first few years for the ps3 were a disaster it wasn't till 2009 when the price came down to $299 and the exclusive games started to come out that the ps3 took off and manage to pass the 360.

Congrats to Sony. Next gen isn't going to be as easy to repeat their domination I imagine, what's with MS knowing not to repeat their mistakes with XB1 and the rise of streaming games, though I will always be loyal to PS :D

Ironically, I own every generation except the best selling one (PS2) :lol:

Very impressive especially considering that there is no true and popular way to do Piracy even as for now unlike PS2 and even PS3 at its later years.

(Note: Yes PS2 sold more than PS4 as for now but keep mind the release date, 14 years jumpstart, and the cost)

Maybe the pirates has given up.

Rather than pirating, those people are probably just sharing/borrowing games now. I know a friend who own a PS4 but never buys a game, he just borrows them from his friends and once he beats or gets bored he just returns them. Gaming is becoming more and more a "done and dusted" affair now. The sense of owning a game isn't what it used to be with digital/streaming platforms getting more and more popular.

Also, with the price of consoles getting closer to a decent gaming PC, I imagine most people will just go the PC route.

Last edited:
Yup. People who are heavily into online games will just build or buy a PC instead, unless the game that they want to play is only exclusive to a certain console itself.

What a missed opportunity by Poly... I still can't believe we won't see any "classic" GT this gen.
I know, right? I still hold onto a glimmer of hope, since GT6 popped up on the previous gen right at the end. I'm just a fool like that.

GTS has some aspects I like, the "circuit experience" mode I really thought was a great addition that brought me considerle enjoyment. True, I did swear rather a lot getting the gold time for Nurburgring - I called it many, many horrible names - but got there in the end. And I suppose it worked because I retained a rudimentary knowledge of the track. But I really miss the CarPG. The thing that made GT stand out from its peers. The thing that made it unique. GTS seemed to me to be moving towards a place that is already very heavily populated by countless sims.

I keep being on the fence about getting a PlayStation 4. I keep telling people I would be torn between getting a PS4 or a Nintendo Switch. One of my reasons for hesitation on a PS4 (besides money) is how people have said the PlayStation 4 is pretty much at the end of its life cycle. So I feel I don't want to be at a party too late. Then too, I am not as much of a gamer as I used to be. I am also not as certain paying to play online when we sort of had to do this for free in the PS3 days.

Having said all of that, I am very much appreciative of Sony with the PlayStation 4. It does seem pretty crazy the PS4 sold THAT many units in its time. I have still mostly been here-and-there about getting a PS4 and building a PS4 collection. I've been a misguided soul on this.

I know, right? I still hold onto a glimmer of hope, since GT6 popped up on the previous gen right at the end. I'm just a fool like that.

GTS has some aspects I like, the "circuit experience" mode I really thought was a great addition that brought me considerle enjoyment. True, I did swear rather a lot getting the gold time for Nurburgring - I called it many, many horrible names - but got there in the end. And I suppose it worked because I retained a rudimentary knowledge of the track. But I really miss the CarPG. The thing that made GT stand out from its peers. The thing that made it unique. GTS seemed to me to be moving towards a place that is already very heavily populated by countless sims.
GT Sport could have been better than how it is right now, especially when we all know how powerful the console really is.

Back