• Thread starter RocZX
  • 278 comments

RocZX

Premium
United States
New York
2019-mclaren-bp23-teaser.jpg

Auto Express
McLaren has released the first image of its next hypercar project, named the McLaren BP23. McLaren Special Operations, or MSO, is heading the BP23 project, which claims to be “the world’s first Hyper-GT”.

The BP23 codename stands for Bespoke Project 2 and will have three seats, like the iconic McLaren F1. Just 106 examples of the new hyper-GT will be made and all are already sold out; MSO will work with the prospective owners to personalise the cars to each individual’s tastes by exterior colour, trim and more.

The picture above is all we have to go on at present in terms of design, but the creases toward the front and rear flanks do look similar to the aerodynamic design already seen in McLaren’s current P1 hypercar.

McLaren has confirmed that the BP23 will feature a hybrid powertrain, and while engine details aren’t known yet, we suspect the engine itself won’t stray too far away from the 3.8-litre twin-turbo unit seen in pretty much every current McLaren these days.

What we do know, however, is that the BP23’s body will be made of shrink-wrapped carbon fibre and will feature dihedral doors like the P1. The doors will be powered for the first time on a McLaren, for a dash of extra convenience, and the door apertures themselves cut into the roof for a larger opening.

Mike Flewitt, McLaren Automotive CEO, said that the BP23 is called a hyper-GT because it’s “a car designed for longer journeys, but with the high levels of performance and driver engagement expected of any McLaren.

“A hybrid powertrain will make it one of the most powerful McLarens yet created but the car will also deliver the highest levels of refinement, enabling significant journeys to be undertaken with up to three people aboard.”

Just 106 will be made – exactly the same number of McLaren F1s made during its production span – and we’ll know more closer to the car’s launch date.
Auto Express

Last edited:
If anything I hope McLaren figure out a new shape for the car. Everything since the MP4-12C has just felt so damn lazy (even though I do love the 675LT)

This needs to be their new flagship and as such, needs to be something completely new.

If anything I hope McLaren figure out a new shape for the car. Everything since the MP4-12C has just felt so damn lazy (even though I do love the 675LT)

This needs to be their new flagship and as such, needs to be something completely new.
P1 felt pretty new. :P Look about as much like the 12C as an Enzo. :P The continuity of the design doesn't bug me because it looks good and its functional too (aero wise). Kinda like Konegseig.

I can't help but feel that as the number of recklessly expensive supercars approaches infinity, the chances of not having a worldwide, cataclysmic economic death spiral approaches zero. I'm not saying its causal, but at least somewhat corollary. :lol:

Just really hope it happens sometime after 2020.

So when is Ferrari going to bring out their Super duper Hyper world destroying car, since McLaren is the third team with an F1 team doing this...

I doubt they'll jump into it with their current halo car reaching what will likely be, it's last major production milestones; the Aperta production is finally underway and the FXXK's Evo-update is on the horizon. Then, you have the 812 Superfast & the 488's swan song model to come after. Their plate seems a bit busy for the time being.

If the Merc. & Mac. are to be anything like what Aston Martin/Redbull are building, I can't see Ferrari jumping into that battle. The way the Valkyrie is designed to start, doesn't strike me as something Ferrari would want from a road car; it's far too aerodynamically-centered in its design & thus, it looks like it'll be sacrificing much of the luxury Ferrari takes pride in.

I doubt they'll jump into it with their current halo car reaching what will likely be, it's last major production milestones; the Aperta production is finally underway and the FXXK's Evo-update is on the horizon. Then, you have the 812 Superfast & the 488's swan song model to come after. Their plate seems a bit busy for the time being.

If the Merc. & Mac. are to be anything like what Aston Martin/Redbull are building, I can't see Ferrari jumping into that battle. The way the Valkyrie is designed to start, doesn't strike me as something Ferrari would want from a road car; it's far too aerodynamically-centered in its design & thus, it looks like it'll be sacrificing much of the luxury Ferrari takes pride in.

It'd be cool if all of them built a road car of F1 like prestige...

To be honest I never expected them to, maybe if you changed Ferrari's name to Lamborghini, then it would be very different.

It'd be cool if all of them built a road car of F1 like prestige...

To be honest I never expected them to, maybe if you changed Ferrari's name to Lamborghini, then it would be very different.
It would definitely be something up Lamborghini's ally, but I think we've already seen their approach to this with the Egoista. Crazy, just as outlandish looking (if not more) than the Valkyrie and yet, so over the top that Lamborghini never really had any intention of building it. I think the Centenario may be the boundary for them.

Ferrari would be the most interesting since it'd have to be a blend of aero & Ferrari design.

It would definitely be something up Lamborghini's ally, but I think we've already seen their approach to this with the Egoista. Crazy, just as outlandish looking (if not more) than the Valkyrie and yet, so over the top that Lamborghini never really had any intention of building it. I think the Centenario may be the boundary for them.

Ferrari would be the most interesting since it'd have to be a blend of aero & Ferrari design.

I think Ferrari could do this type of thing if they felt there was a reason to compete with the other 3 manufactures who seems to be using their F1 designers to play a part. But as you said they're busy.

The only reason I can see it happening is because of how crazy their XX programs are and how really unexpected they were from a group that like you said really is more into luxury exotic super cars.

Last edited:
I think Ferrari could do this type of thing if they felt there was a reason to compete with the other 3 manufactures who seems to be using their F1 designers to play a part. But as you said they're busy.

The only reason I can see it happening it because of how crazy their XX programs are and how really unexpected they were from a group that like you said really is more into luxury exotic super cars.
Now that you mention that, it would be a great opportunity to see a hypercar born from all the data gathered from the XX program, & since some of Ferrari's F1 engineers are already heavily involved in that program, they'd be the best people for the job. I think the design is the only challenge for them. How do you make a something like the Valkyrie without it looking like a LMP race car to achieve the performance?

Now that you mention that, it would be a great opportunity to see a hypercar born from all the data gathered from the XX program, & since some of Ferrari's F1 engineers are already heavily involved in that program, they'd be the best people for the job. I think the design is the only challenge for them. How do you make a something like the Valkyrie without it looking like a LMP race car to achieve the performance?

I have no idea, I mean the Aston to me doesn't look like an LMP it just looks like a road going space ship. So if they can do something of the same cut, but with a Ferrari style and an improved FXXK engine or even just the standard La Ferrari but improved, that'd be awesome.

Even if it was derived from the V6 F1 engine just obviously a longer stroke and bore, I think that'd be cool too.

Back