Mazda's Frey Museum is a Celebration of the World's Weirdest Car Brand

  • Thread starter Thread starter GTPNewsWire
  • 20 comments
  • 4,697 views
How would a rotary engine tow truck work? Unless I'm mistaken, doesn't the REPU use a 13B which has like zero low-end torque? I've never been in a REPU so I don't know, but that just seems like a weird combination.

Also, someone please call about Pickles, I really need to know the story.
 
How would a rotary engine tow truck work? Unless I'm mistaken, doesn't the REPU use a 13B which has like zero low-end torque? I've never been in a REPU so I don't know, but that just seems like a weird combination.

Also, someone please call about Pickles, I really need to know the story.

According to JNC, the 13b-powered bus had a 5.37:1 first gear and an incredible 6.67:1 final drive ratio. That's a 35:1 total reduction (a brief google search tells me that 10-15:1 is fairly typical of a first gear combined ratio in most cars). So while the 13b has very little low-end torque, it does have "decent" power and some RPM to work with.
 
The Mazda Cosmos was born in the Space Race era :lol:
 
How would a rotary engine tow truck work? Unless I'm mistaken, doesn't the REPU use a 13B which has like zero low-end torque? I've never been in a REPU so I don't know, but that just seems like a weird combination.

It also weighed 2800+kgs when empty. Add another 1400+kgs worth of driver and passengers and that 102 lbft torque is going to struggle. I hope it was flat where it was operated.
 
Also, someone please call about Pickles, I really need to know the story.
I sort of figured it has something to do with the male organ of love.
 
Also, someone please call about Pickles, I really need to know the story.
I sort of figured it has something to do with the male organ of love.
It's to do with the Soviets and the canteen in Hiroshima.

Every car in there has a strange story - mostly personal to the Freys. That's part of what makes it such an interesting place.
 
How can they call it a museum when they're missing the most iconic of all the Mazdas? :p

images.jpeg
 
An mx3! I used to have one! :sly:
I still do. Three, in fact :D
How can they call it a museum when they're missing the most iconic of all the Mazdas? :p

View attachment 960311
There are roughly 140 cars in the collection and 50 in the exhibit. I don't actually remember seeing a Demio on either visit or the super secret downstairs room; there may be one in the warehouse - there's not many modern Mazdas in the Frey collection (the NB Coupe was the newest the first time I was there, but they have a 6 MPS and a 3 MPS now too) - but I don't know for sure.


I also should elaborate on the story about Jujiro Matsuda surviving the nuclear strike on Hiroshima. A rarely mentioned story states that Matsuda was going to his favorite barber on his birthday for a traditional birthday haircut, and seeing someone about to get there before him he sped up to nip in first for the 7.30am opening appointment - during an air raid warning, no less.

He'd finished and got a car back to Toyo Kogyo (Mazda) in Fuchu three miles away when the bomb detonated just before 8.16am, 1,900ft above Shima Hospital - off-target from the Aloi Bridge. Little Boy wasn't actually that big a device, and the area of total devastation was around a mile radius, but three miles is still well within a overpressure region. By sheer fluke, a small mountain called Hijiyama sits between the hypocentre and what's now the Mazda main factory, and this shielded the factory from the worst of it - though Matsuda and his driver were both knocked off their feet, the factory was essentially unscathed.

Matsuda's barber was 50 yards from the hypocentre and obliterated. Fine margins.
 
I still do. Three, in fact :D
And the motor from a fourth that's been re-homed in a different chassis...if memory serves?
 
And the motor from a fourth that's been re-homed in a different chassis...if memory serves?
Not quite. The engine from something else has gone into one of the three (and its engine has gone to power a kit car).
 
The MX-5 NB Coupe looks surprisingly contemporary.
 
There's some pretty neat and excellent cars on display in that exhibit. A few of my favorite ones include the RX-7 Rally Car, the 323 Rally Car, that Luce R130, Savanna RX-3, and that NB MX-5 Coupe.

Also, one random thing from me to point out:
Mazda-Museum_151.jpg


The 121 here reminds me of the Suzuki X90 for some reason.
 
Probably the best article written in :gtpflag:

I have a silver 323 Astina, but it ain't named Pickles. :lol:

Have another Mazda in the Family, by way of my Nephew's Efini.:)
 
I wouldn't say that Mazda is a weird car brand. They are quite mainstream to be honest.
 
Back