WRC 9 Players Can Win a $6,000 Watch With the Anonimo Christmas Challenge

That WRC logo really adds some cost to that watch. A standard Anonimo Militare runs about $2,800 for one in stainless steel and leather strap. I guess it shouldn't surprise me though, pretty much any watch associated with motorsports in insanely marked up.

That WRC logo really adds some cost to that watch. A standard Anonimo Militare runs about $2,800 for one in stainless steel and leather strap. I guess it shouldn't surprise me though, pretty much any watch associated with motorsports in insanely marked up.
Yeah, I couldn't actually find a US-market price for it (though you can get it on Amazon for $4k), so I converted the base price from Swiss Francs to Euros, found the Euro price quoted in the press release was close enough and converted that to GBP/USD.

Yeah, I couldn't actually find a US-market price for it (though you can get it on Amazon for $4k), so I converted the base price from Swiss Francs to Euros, found the Euro price quoted in the press release was close enough and converted that to GBP/USD.

The MSRP for the US is $5,950 or something like that, so that figure is entirely accurate. I'm just amazed adding "WRC" to the watch face and putting some green accents on the watch drives the price up by more than $3,000, especially since the case is just stainless steel and the band isn't even leather. The movement on it isn't bad, but it's not like it's some rare one either. You can pick up an SW300 for about $300. If the watch was gold, I could understand the price, but altogether to manufacture the thing, it's going to be less than $700-$1,000 since I'm not sure what other materials are in it.

Whoever wins should probably flip it for $3,000 or whatever the equivalent price is in their native currency. I can't see something like this going up in value at all despite being a "limited edition". Still, a $3,000 payday for simply being good at a rally video game is nothing to sneeze at.

I like watches. I like high end watches. Here's my canned impression of Anonimo.

They came out when Panerai were at its peak. Their styling is kind of reminiscent of Panerai or more likely, the small Italian watch fraternity style.

Panerai is a company that struggles to remain relevant today. That makes it hard for Anonimo who were never that popular in the first place.

So for many low to mid tier lux watches they have a hard time.

Anonimo is not a brand anyone really attracts people. Further they arent backed by someone big.

One of the brands I do like but also struggles to maintain precense is Certina. But they are owned by Swatch group so live or struggle they will always be ok. Panerai is a Richemont company.

So in that light, Anonimo is a brand that isnt worth anything, not even $1,000 given they have no real market prescense or "mind share".

For lower end Swiss brands even stuff like Tissot or Maurice Lacroix or Mido or Raymond Weil or Frederique Constant is kind of worth something (???) given most enthusiasts think they are ok lower tier brands. I dont like them but...

Constrast to some gold standards... Omega, Rolex, BLANCPAIN, Tudor even Heuer.

Back