3d Studio Max question:

• Thread starter rjensen11
  • 12 comments
Does anybody know how to make realistic hair(like that on the human head)? I'm using r3.1, but hopefully it should be universal throughout 2.5 up.

I saw a $20 magazine down the newsagent not long back devoted to 3D rendering. I flipped through it and it covered every 3D prog from 3DS to Lightwave.

um, here's a picture of a head I'm making. I'm following a tutorial right now, but I plan on customizing it pretty soon. I also have some house plan I'm making. I'll look through my projects and show what I've made so far. I made a mansion for a game called Rogue Spear, but I never really distributed it at all, mostly because there wasn't a demand for it. I'll try to find it and clean it up, but those rooms are hard to show well.

Attachments

• head.jpg
    head.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 60
Damn that head is nice...I wish I could do charcters but I'm not very good at it. I mostly use a program call Poser 4 to make people then just import em. I'll post some things I've done in a minute.

That's a nice car, there, Streetracer. You should try making some fancy hubcaps and people will be in awe of it! I followed a tutorial for the head model, it was on http://www.secondreality.ch but it still took me a long time! That, and the tutorial doesn't really show you ALL of the polygons it makes and lines it deletes et cetera. I'm still not done with the head, as I most likely already said, because I need to add in some frown lines, hair, teeth, change the lip colour, and add the tounge so if I animate her, I mean it, it'll look more realistic. I also plan to make a body for the model some time, that would take a long time as well because I'd have to be extruding so much and adding tons of edgeloops(Took me FOREVER to find out what those were! I seriously spent well over an hour of combined minutes searching for what it was before I found out!)
Oh yeah, I also need to fix the eyes, the iris isn't shaded right, and I need to fix its textures. I also made the eyes out of another tutorial, so they're actually something like 4 pieces each, and I made them at high-res, so they have a ton of polygons, so it's best to hide them when editing the model.

Words of wisdom:
When editing, only use the MeshSmooth for rendering, don't model with it on or change your viewpoints- your system will get hosed down! I'm running on a P4 1.7ghz and it took about 10 seconds for any responce when moving my perspective viewport when the head was smoothed.

Hey thanks I'll take that tutorial.

As for rims I'll use Inventor for that.

That head looks good, will you show it to me when you get done?

I'm using some extra plugins for the head now. I'm learning how to use Shag: Hair. It's a pretty powerful plugin. All of the hair is rendered, so it doesn't bog your system when you're editing it. It also saves on disk space:) The best thing is that it looks really realistic, almost photographic:eek:

If you want to see some followups, you can check my thread in the Graphics folder

Alight I'l look at the thread. Congrats on coming along so nicely.

Last night I finished a really cool Low rider scene of a
S-10 bouncing to Still Fly. Its pretty cool. I'll put it up on the web pretty soon.

Back