3D to blame for delay?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mattbeddall
  • 48 comments
  • 4,796 views
Messages
24
Messages
mattbeddall
3D is to blame for the latest delay according to PSM3 magazine in the uk, and will definately be implemented into the final game. You will require 3D glasses costing between 50-100 pounds and a 3D tv ! I dont have the funds for either so I am upset at the delay for this reason and also upset that i won't be playing in 3D on launch day lol, any thoughts?
 
yeah but its always gonna be there nagging away at me saying get a new tv you fool lol, the mag also states that headtracking is definately in and that cars with full damage can be rolled, and its gonna come on 3 discs! But they also had the release date advertised on the cover but inside the mag they just guess at a sept/oct uk release, dissapointing but worth the read
 
Oh dear...another delay speculation thread :rolleyes:

There is no proof that this is the case, and there is absolutely no reason for SONY or PD to focus so early on 3D to the detriment of annoying their fan-base. As you say, you need a pair of glasses and a capable TV. The TVs are not that expensive in themselves, and if you are on the market for a new TV later in the year, then you might as well get one that is capable of showing 3D. However, a lot of people upgraded to HDTVs (certainly in the UK) just to take advantage of the PS3 - those same people are not going to go out and replace their new kit just like that.

yeah but its always gonna be there nagging away at me saying get a new tv you fool lol, the mag also states that headtracking is definately in and that cars with full damage can be rolled, and its gonna come on 3 discs! But they also had the release date advertised on the cover but inside the mag they just guess at a sept/oct uk release, dissapointing but worth the read
Sounds to me like they are just making stuff up and saying what people want to hear, merely citing 3D as the reason for the delay.
 
Polyphony want to maximise the gaming experience and make it as great as possible. 3D is just one of the methods they're using. I'm pretty sure any 3D TV made by Sony won't be out by the end of March.
 
Polyphony want to maximise the gaming experience and make it as great as possible. 3D is just one of the methods they're using. I'm pretty sure any 3D TV made by Sony won't be out by the end of March.
Neither will the game, so it doesn't matter does it?!
 
well the mag says the tv's will be hitting stores this summer, I have no idea how reliable this info is I'm just reading it in a magazine and its not lifted from an interview or anything
 
It makes perfect sense to me...

With GT5 being a few years late, PD haven't brought the PS3 what they were supposed to. Sony apperently have turned the tables on PD and now demand a launching platform for their new 3D technology.

It sucks, but Sony's in charge here. 👎
 
Thank God Sony is in charge, I hope the push the crap out of PD right now make Yamauchi Cry!!!! and Im sure Sony are really putting the pressure on PD now, I think this wait to them is worse than it is to us, as they know this could be a game that puts them ahead of the 360 in terms of sales.
 
Thank God Sony is in charge, I hope the push the crap out of PD right now make Yamauchi Cry!!!! and Im sure Sony are really putting the pressure on PD now, I think this wait to them is worse than it is to us, as they know this could be a game that puts them ahead of the 360 in terms of sales.

Really? Your happy that the game is going to be delayed longer than need be so Sony can get PD to cram in a feature that such a small percentage of gamers will even use?
 
If I had a cinema room for play games and watch movies... then I would care about 3D!!!
 
If if would be true that 3D is slowing down the release.
On the one hand, it is sad :grumpy: to have to wait for 3D that will hardly be used by most of us in a first timeframe.

On the other hand if this needs to stimulate the sales of 3D products of SONY, they will put the resources :bowdown: in place to get GT5 on the racks close after the release of 3D products 👍👍, like the 3D upgrade of the PS3.
 
That doesn't make sense. 3D is already in the game.

All you need are the glasses, a compatible tv and a PS3 with an upcoming firmware update, which will add support for ALL games as well as 3D Blu-ray.
 
Exactly! The game doesn't have to launch with 3dtv's it just has to be there, already, patiently smoking a cigarette and waiting for the checkout to open.
 
Exactly! The game doesn't have to launch with 3dtv's it just has to be there, already, patiently smoking a cigarette and waiting for the checkout to open.

I think people are meaning that PD will add some set pieces and features to the game to showcase 3D. A bit like they did when surround sound appeared, every movie suddenly had some on screen action to showcase the technology. Maybe Sony want PD to do something similar into GT5. I hope this isn't the reason becasue I can handle a delay if it really is needed but a delay for marketing reasons doesn't sit too well with me.
 
I think people are meaning that PD will add some set pieces and features to the game to showcase 3D. A bit like they did when surround sound appeared, every movie suddenly had some on screen action to showcase the technology. Maybe Sony want PD to do something similar into GT5. I hope this isn't the reason becasue I can handle a delay if it really is needed but a delay for marketing reasons doesn't sit too well with me.

I remember an interview with Kaz where he clearly said he has the final word on what is and what is not in the game and that the only crap he has to endure from sony is they keep pressuring him to release the game. Well, he didn't use this words :lol:

However, he could be lying (who would want to admit to be a lackey?) or the situation changed.
 
I remember an interview with Kaz where he clearly said he has the final word on what is and what is not in the game and that the only crap he has to endure from sony is they keep pressuring him to release the game. Well, he didn't use this words :lol:

However, he could be lying (who would want to admit to be a lackey?) or the situation changed.

I'm willing to bet he is getting all sorts of grief from Sony at the moment but the million dollar question is, is it pressure of his own or Sony's making? And what I mean by that is, are Sony putting him under pressure to add additional content for marketing reasons hence delaying the game or is the game under developed and Sony are chewing his backside to get it finished asap?
 
I think people are meaning that PD will add some set pieces and features to the game to showcase 3D. A bit like they did when surround sound appeared, every movie suddenly had some on screen action to showcase the technology. Maybe Sony want PD to do something similar into GT5. I hope this isn't the reason becasue I can handle a delay if it really is needed but a delay for marketing reasons doesn't sit too well with me.

The game has already showcased in 3d which means 3d works in it. 3d is kinda like HD in that once the thing runs that way there's nothing left to do so I doubt they're working on a special 3-d track or anything like that.
 
The game has already showcased in 3d which means 3d works in it. 3d is kinda like HD in that once the thing runs that way there's nothing left to do so I doubt they're working on a special 3-d track or anything like that.

I still think you don't understand what I mean. You know when 3D movies first appeared they always had something flying toward the screen to make the audience jump, I would call that a set piece that was purposefully put in the movie to showcase the technology. I just think Sony could be asking for something similar from PD. Maybe the start sequence before a race is being reworked to showcase the 3D tech a little more or they are working on different replay options that showcase the tech. I'm probably totally wrong but just trying to come up with reasons as to why 3D may be delaying release as has been hinted at.
 
Ah, okay, I see where you're coming from. sounds like pretty simple art stuff that wouldn't take long to do, tho.
 
Ah, okay, I see where you're coming from. sounds like pretty simple art stuff that wouldn't take long to do, tho.

Yeah I agree it's very easy to add but then Sony would want them to wait and launch alongside the TV's themselves. I haven't convinced myslef to be honest as I think 3D bluray has a much better chance of selling 3D tv's compared to a computer game.
 
My point still stands about waiting to release alongside the tv's - what difference does it make if the game is out before or at the same time as the tellys? In both scenarios you can say - "buy a 3d telly and play GT5 on it"

It might even make more sense to release beforehand with a "experience this game in 3-d!" stickers on the box. That way people who weren't even thinking about getting a 3d telly might be convinced to start saving.
 
My point still stands about waiting to release alongside the tv's - what difference does it make if the game is out before or at the same time as the tellys? In both scenarios you can say - "buy a 3d telly and play GT5 on it"

It might even make more sense to release beforehand with a "experience this game in 3-d!" stickers on the box. That way people who weren't even thinking about getting a 3d telly might be convinced to start saving.

Totally agree with you mate. The revenue they make from the sale of the game compared to the additional revenue they make as a result of selling 3D TV's off the back of the game are not going to be comparable. Just get the bloody game out and 3D TV's will take care of themselves.
 
Did anyone mentioned that "The Wall" could have coursed the delay? Its the same delay like GT and Kaz said it could be used in the menu´s in GT5? I know its only speculation but if they want to sell GT5+Wall+3D than it will make scene...a little bit.
 
Hmmmmmm. Im not quite sure I believe this. Until I hear it from an official sony or Pd source (Not that you ever fulyl understand what translator san is saying)

If PD are going back and making the whole game 3D making it incredibly late..then I think i would have preffered standard GT5 with no damage last summer. And then GT6:3D [as basically just an updated GT5 with 3D and some different cars and a new track or two) in early 2011
 
My point still stands about waiting to release alongside the tv's - what difference does it make if the game is out before or at the same time as the tellys? In both scenarios you can say - "buy a 3d telly and play GT5 on it"

Sony do not want to give anyone who would be interested in investing in a 3D tv early on a reason to buy a competitors 3D tv before Sony have theirs on the shelves. I think Sonys 3D campaign will be timed and aggressive.
 
I still think you don't understand what I mean. You know when 3D movies first appeared they always had something flying toward the screen to make the audience jump, I would call that a set piece that was purposefully put in the movie to showcase the technology. I just think Sony could be asking for something similar from PD. Maybe the start sequence before a race is being reworked to showcase the 3D tech a little more or they are working on different replay options that showcase the tech. I'm probably totally wrong but just trying to come up with reasons as to why 3D may be delaying release as has been hinted at.

I doubt, and really hope that PD aren't that cheesy. Personally I really like the depth that 3D gives to scenes but usually find that the stuff that's supposed to jump out the screen fails miserably. I like the subtle stuff.
 
I plan on putting alot of hours into this game. I hope I don't come away with headaches and motion sickness because of 3d. In not complaining, just saying.
 
I plan on putting alot of hours into this game. I hope I don't come away with headaches and motion sickness because of 3d. In not complaining, just saying.

3D computer games shouldn't suffer from the same problems as 3D movies as they can be made to deal with some of the problems that can't be with stereo cameras.
I have reservations about existing 3D tech on PCs and am unsure if it's actually done properly or if it's just simulating stereo cameras.
 
Just throwing this out there:

http://www.abc.net.au/unleashed/stories/s2813511.htm

3D computer games shouldn't suffer from the same problems as 3D movies as they can be made to deal with some of the problems that can't be with stereo cameras.
I have reservations about existing 3D tech on PCs and am unsure if it's actually done properly or if it's just simulating stereo cameras.


So what are the problems you percieve with stereo cameras and how are they resolved on the PC side?
 
Last edited:
Back