3D3 Racing: WRS-based races moved to new WRS sub-forum!

• Thread starter WRP001
  • 2,120 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Room up and running if anyone wishes to practice...
PSN: killa_kandy

Feel free to use the GTP_3D3Racing lobby KK 👍
We have an official practice session today at 8pm GMT, but it's free to use at anytime for all 3D3 drivers. (except for Race day :D)

EDK
There is a secret magic formula to garnering significant WRS participation -

Well known/easy/shortish track+easy to drive road car+ sports tires+arcade mode without tuning = really high levels of participation.

But I suspect if we just did that every week, things would get a little boring.

The main thing is that combos like that are highly accessible, if you are not one of the best drivers, or you don't know how to tune, or you aren't familiar with some of the newer or longer tracks on the game, it's still easy to step in and go. And we still get high D1 participation rates, because those guys can find all the time the car has to offer in 1 or 2 sessions, and they end up being tight races for tenths.

By choosing the full layout of Cape Ring, I know that I sacrifice some participation, but I think it would be a shame if we never used that layout in WRS, so I went for it.

Next race, we'll have to find another combo that's like Gettin' Groceries, or Mountaineering 101. Those are the types of combos I'm talking about, that bring greater participation.

I think it was great combo and I really am kicking myself for not running because the car and track match up great, but family time beckoned heavily during thanksgiving and all the turkey and football put me into a coma that lasted a full day. I suspect the holiday contributed as much as the length of the track. Oh well, I'm looking forward to the race.

EU participation has been lower than usual for 3D3 since those new video games came out a couple weeks ago. It would be nice to see some of the early 3D3 regulars like Vagabond, Yanaran, etc. show up again. Maybe we'll have to come up with something really exciting to pull them away from slaying dragons. :sly:

@Kevin -- I was able to send you a friend request on PSN from GTP_3D3Racing so I assume you were able to clear a spot. If not send a request to GTP_3D3Racing so you can get in the lounge on Wednesday.

The new qualifying format sounds really fun. I'll let you know tomorrow, probably late in the day, if I can make it. Sure hope I can.

Hope you can, Baron. Your awesome WRS time would make you go last in quali, taking some pressure off me. :sly: Congrats on that lap, btw. 👍

Hope you can, Baron. Your awesome WRS time would make you go last in quali, taking some pressure off me. :sly: Congrats on that lap, btw. 👍

Sorry Lucas, but you'll still be in Group D and have all eyes on you. It may take a little pressure off Kevin though as Baron would be the absolute last driver to go.

We'll limit Group D to the 3 fastest drivers so they all get a chance for a full lap under the watchful eyes of *everyone* else. The other groups will be increased to four drivers (as needed with new entrants) and will being doing their hot laps at the same time, but staggered of course.

Group D is the pressure cooker and each driver in that group will get all the focus and attention for their full lap.

Lucas -- five D3 golds in a row is it? You've earned the spotlight. 👍

EDIT: Because of the qualifying format this week drivers need to be prompt and in the lounge at the top of the hour. If you aren't in the lobby went your group is called to enter the course then you will miss qualifying and start at the back of the grid. Last minute entrants that do not register ahead of time via this thread are of course welcome (space permitting) and if you show up on time/ early we'll slot you in with Group A. But any last minute entrants that enter the lounge after Group A completes qualifying will skip quali and start in the back of the grid. Also, if you don't want to run this quali for some reason (say your heart can't take it) you are free to skip and start at the back.

Last edited:
@Kevin -- I was able to send you a friend request on PSN from GTP_3D3Racing so I assume you were able to clear a spot. If not send a request to GTP_3D3Racing so you can get in the lounge on Wednesday.

Yeah, I cleaned out 2 or 3 slots that same night we talked about it. I assume you just sent the request? Otherwise, I don't have it, and will have to send one your way.

Sorry Lucas, but you'll still be in Group D and have all eyes on you. It may take a little pressure off Kevin though as Baron would be the absolute last driver to go.

We'll limit Group D to the 3 fastest drivers so they all get a chance for a full lap under the watchful eyes of *everyone* else. The other groups will be increased to four drivers (as needed with new entrants) and will being doing their hot laps at the same time, but staggered of course.

Group D is the pressure cooker and each driver in that group will get all the focus and attention for their full lap.

I'm not nervous about that. I'm guessing with one lap that I know needs to be clean, and the online physics, I'll be in the high 42's. I was able to hit mid 42's without issue by the end of my WRS sessions. It was the last 5 or 6 tenths that required really pushing the car in some areas that led to crashes or frustration.

I'm the epitome of mediocre consistency, look at my Handicapped time for this week, right in the middle of that board, where I almost always am. ;)

EDK
Yeah, I cleaned out 2 or 3 slots that same night we talked about it. I assume you just sent the request? Otherwise, I don't have it, and will have to send one your way.

I'm not nervous about that. I'm guessing with one lap that I know needs to be clean, and the online physics, I'll be in the high 42's. I was able to hit mid 42's without issue by the end of my WRS sessions. It was the last 5 or 6 tenths that required really pushing the car in some areas that led to crashes or frustration.

I'm the epitome of mediocre consistency, look at my Handicapped time for this week, right in the middle of that board, where I almost always am. ;)

I sent the friend request from GTP_3D3Racing pretty late last night so it should be in your inbox. Every driver listed on our registry page should now either be on the list or have an incoming request. 👍

I assume you mean mid 22's. That's right were I want to be, but not there quite yet. I can run high 22's without risking much, but 22.5 is going to be the point at which I have to decide to take a chance or not and anything faster, say under 22.3 is going to be an all or nothing proposition. I think if I were going in Group D and I knew I needed a 22.4 for a front row that I might push and risk it. But going in an earlier group I just basically have to lay down an above average lap without too many risks.

On the other hand, my race results in the past point to pole position or at least front row being one of the most important factors in getting a race win (for me). It might just be worth risking it all and trying to put more pressure on you Group D guys. We'll see how I feel after a little more practice.

This type of quali adds a couple additional layers to the strategy... I hope it turns out well... who knows it may produce some interesting results if a few people make a mistake.

I sent the friend request from GTP_3D3Racing pretty late last night so it should be in your inbox. Every driver listed on our registry page should now either be on the list or have an incoming request. 👍

I assume you mean mid 22's. That's right were I want to be, but not there quite yet. I can run high 22's without risking much, but 22.5 is going to be the point at which I have to decide to take a chance or not and anything faster, say under 22.3 is going to be an all or nothing proposition. I think if I were going in Group D and I knew I needed a 22.4 for a front row that I might push and risk it. But going in an earlier group I just basically have to lay down an above average lap without too many risks.

On the other hand, my race results in the past point to pole position or at least front row being one of the most important factors in getting a race win (for me). It might just be worth risking it all and trying to put more pressure on you Group D guys. We'll see how I feel after a little more practice.

This type of quali adds a couple additional layers to the strategy... I hope it turns out well... who knows it may produce some interesting results if a few people make a mistake.

Yeah, mid 22's. :dopey:

My WRS time was a 21.7, but that was a one off, with several laps in the low 22's, and mid 22's being a non-issue.

All of that with Offline physics, so there is the additional risk that comes with online.

We'll see, it should be interesting.

So what's the history of pole time in this? How much behind offline WRS times for the same person it usually is? I suppose I really gotta download those WRS replays since best I can do in my lounge is ~23.5

So what's the history of pole time in this? How much behind offline WRS times for the same person it usually is? I suppose I really gotta download those WRS replays since best I can do in my lounge is ~23.5

Difference between and offline usually averages a second per lap, but there are a few factors that can change that. This is a long track so expect the gap to be bigger. This is an arcade/standard garage week so I think that usually makes things closer between the two. When tuning is allowed the ride height "trick" or "bug" gives an extra edge to the offline times.

The biggest variable is who shows up and how much did they run. Given none of the D1 drivers on our grid ran the WRS I don't think we'll see an 21s so I'm guessing 22.431 will be the pole time. :lol:

PS> We've seen weeks where the looser offline physics actually made the car better to drive and the online times were almost the same, but I don't think this is one of those cases.

Just to confirm, I'm in. Got a day off college tomorrow so I can do some practice. Got some people coming round to look under the floorboards to check for flood damage, which could take a while, so there is a small chance I won't make it, but if that eventuality occurs I will notify you guys in advance 👍

PS> We've seen weeks where the looser offline physics actually made the car better to drive and the online times were almost the same, but I don't think this is one of those cases.
Tough call there, this car was definitely under-steery offline, but the problem comes in because online is only looser because the rear seems to have less grip.:scared:

I don't expect to see lower then 22's though, if almost nobody in D1 or D2 has barely any practice. :lol:

Just to confirm, I'm in. Got a day off college tomorrow so I can do some practice. Got some people coming round to look under the floorboards to check for flood damage, which could take a while, so there is a small chance I won't make it, but if that eventuality occurs I will notify you guys in advance 👍

👍 The qualifying groups have been adjusted accordingly.

Note that these group assignments are preliminary and anyone that registers between now and the race start will get inserted into their proper spot on the grid so anyone with a submitted time will take over that special D2 spot in the EU race.

EU Race Slot (3:00 PM Eastern / 12:00 PM Pacific)

A1
uk.gif
killa_kandy ......
badge_division_0.png
... ............ NA (NA)
A2
Philippines.png
GTP_Masicampo ....
badge_division_0.png
... Eric ....... NA (NA)
A3
ca.gif
GTP_Hydro ........
badge_division_2.png
... Marc ....... NA (2.938)
B1
ca.gif
GTP_gooners_17 ...
badge_division_2.png
... Mohit ...... NA (2.928)
B2
us.gif
GTP_WRP001 .......
badge_division_2.png
... Tim ........ NA (2.784)
C1
be.gif
GTP_Speedy6543 ...
badge_division_2.png
... Christophe . NA (2.632)
C2
uk.gif
GTP_Biffy ........
badge_division_2.png
... Jordan ..... NA (2.073)
D1
fi.gif
GTP_MadMax86 .....
badge_division_1.png
... Pekka ...... NA (1.969)
D2
us.gif
GTP_CSL ..........
badge_division_1.png
... Dominic .... NA (1.899)

NA Race Slot (10:00 PM Eastern / 7:00 PM Pacific)

A1
ca.gif
GTP_Hydro ........
badge_division_2.png
A2
ca.gif
GTP_gooners_17 ...
badge_division_2.png
... Mohit ...... NA (2.928)
A3
us.gif
GTP_WRP001 .......
badge_division_2.png
B1
be.gif
GTP_Speedy6543 ...
badge_division_2.png
B2
us.gif
GTP_dsgerbc ......
badge_division_2.png
... Dan ........ NA (2.514)
B3
us.gif
GTP_CSL ..........
badge_division_1.png
C1
us.gif
GTP_RaceRyder ....
badge_division_4.png
... Dale ....... 2'25.983
C2
ca.gif
GTP_Allibubba99 ..
badge_division_4.png
... Al ......... 2'24.733
C3
us.gif
GTP_LeftyWright ..
badge_division_3.png
... Lefty ...... 2'23.497
D1
us.gif
GTP_Gravitron ....
badge_division_3.png
... Lucas ...... 2'22.344
D2
us.gif
GTP_EDK ..........
badge_division_2.png
... Kevin ...... 2'21.760

EDIT: Here is the link to the Google Document that will be updated live during qualification:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...DJzWmtOS0xIcnRkZUo0SXdiUXk4V2c&hl=en_US&gid=0

Last edited:
The biggest variable is who shows up and how much did they run. Given none of the D1 drivers on our grid ran the WRS I don't think we'll see an 21s so I'm guessing 22.431 will be the pole time. :lol:

I ran a 2'22.155 in "quali mode" - full fuel, 1st timed lap - verified by Speedy 👍
Second best lap was only .147 off that pace.

It's certainly very tough to run that time without incurring any sort of time penalty, so I can't see it happening in the actual Qualification though :(
I think I'll try it anyway, and be fully prepared to start at the back when it all goes horribly wrong - in spectacular fashion :D

I ran a 2'22.155 in "quali mode" - full fuel, 1st timed lap - verified by Speedy 👍
Second best lap was only .147 off that pace.

It's certainly very tough to run that time without incurring any sort of time penalty, so I can't see it happening in the actual Qualification though :(
I think I'll try it anyway, and be fully prepared to start at the back when it all goes horribly wrong - in spectacular fashion :D

Nice laps 👍 You are in Group A for both races so those times will apply some pretty high pressure on everyone to follow.

Of course that assumes you don't choke when it really counts. :sly: Just don't treat quali like the final laps of most of our races because we all know what happens to you in those situations. :lol:

Of course that assumes you don't choke when it really counts. :sly: Just don't treat quali like the final laps of most of our races because we all know what happens to you in those situations. :lol:

Thanks for that :nervous: - Back to therapy...again...:crazy:

Lucas and I are in the 3D3 lounge. We'll be there for about an hour. Feel free to join us.

Edit: we are out.

Last edited:
Meh, Lounge froze up on me. Doesn't seem to like it when I push buttons faster then the PS3 can handle...:grumpy:

We left a few mins after your DC. Thanks for the races tonight. You showed me that flat spot at the bottom of the loop, and I decided to hit it for myself. :dunce:

23.0 is the lowest I saw for quali full-fuel laps, and I ruined a few quicker ones.

We left a few mins after your DC. Thanks for the races tonight. You showed me that flat spot at the bottom of the loop, and I decided to hit it for myself. :dunce:

23.0 is the lowest I saw for quali full-fuel laps, and I ruined a few quicker ones.
Ya gotta see it to believe it! :lol:

Definitely good to know for the race though.👍

Just a heads up that I'll be on a fairly tight schedule tonight, and it's possible that I'll be joining the lounge right at 7 pm or even a couple minutes after.

Knowing that I'm last to qualify, I'm hoping this won't be an issue, as long as I arrive before it's my turn to qualify.

If I don't make it by then, perfectly understandable that you would start without me.

Just wanted you to be aware so you weren't left to wonder.

EDK
Just a heads up that I'll be on a fairly tight schedule tonight, and it's possible that I'll be joining the lounge right at 7 pm or even a couple minutes after.

Knowing that I'm last to qualify, I'm hoping this won't be an issue, as long as I arrive before it's my turn to qualify.

If I don't make it by then, perfectly understandable that you would start without me.

Just wanted you to be aware so you weren't left to wonder.

Qualifying should take longer than usual and you are last so should be fine. It should be 7:15 at least before you enter track. Being the first time we do this it could be later.

Will be tough to run your lap completely "cold" though. :scared:

EDK
I get one warmup lap. :sly:

I was thinking if you are on at 7 sharp you could always jump into your lounge and run a couple practice laps while the first couple groups qualify. I can say pretty much for certain you won't need to enter the 3D3 lounge until 7:15 (the times below are optimistic) so that would give you 15 minutes to run 3-4 laps just to get warmed up. If we see you online we know what your doing and can always send you a message on PSN that your group is "next". Up to you, but your fast WRS submission this week gave you some freedom. 👍

Here's the timeline as I see it playing out for the NA event (Pacific Time / PM):

6:00 - 6:59 Open Practice
7:00 Reset track and gather everyone in lobby
7:00 - 7:05 Review Quali Procedures and driver groups.
7:05 - 7:10 Group A Qualifying
7:10 - 7:15 Group B Qualifying
7:15 - 7:20 Group C Qualifying
7:20 - 7:30 Group D Qualifying
7:30 - 7:35 Finalize/Publish Starting Order & Quick Review of Formation Lap Procedures
7:35 Start race (Lap 1 = Formation Lap, Laps 2-21 = Race)
7:35 - 8:30 Race​

The EU qualifying may go a little faster as there are fewer drivers.

So in fact I wouldn't expect Group D to enter track until 7:20 so 7:15 gives you some leeway. Now you might not want to miss the "fun" of watching the other groups, but that's your choice. As long as you are in the 3D3 lounge by 7:15 it shouldn't be a problem.

Steward's Notes

• As far as monitoring laps, everyone has to pitch in and will be assigned a driver from another group to monitor. We will designate one person for each group on track to be the timing monitor and they will have to jot down the times using the live timing monitor and relay them to a steward after all drivers from the group complete their hot laps. This will most likely be a me except when I'm on track. The steward will enter them in the google document and publish so other people can track if they have an iphone or laptop handy.
  • Do NOT leave the track immediately after your hot lap, wait until you get the LEAVE TRACK message. The lap time on your screen will serve as a backup so you might want to just hit "start" and let the system go in autopilot and then jot down your hot lap time (and the # of times you went off track or hit a wall as these will add 2 seconds each to your time).
  • We'll call you from the track at the same time... So just continue onto your cool down lap until we post a text message like "GROUP B: LEAVE TRACK". At that point just hit start and exit to the lobby immediately.
  • Drivers in the lobby *will* be talking so if you don't want the distraction mute the mics of each driver before your group enters the track.
  • Text messaging will *NOT* be allowed while a driver is on a hot lap. There may be messages if drivers enter the lobby or anyone get's DC'd, etc. and we can't do anything about that. But basically you can ignore the messages on your hot lap... it's only 2+ minutes so you won't be missing anything important. :sly:

EU Race Slot (3:00 PM Eastern / 12:00 PM Pacific)
A1
uk.gif
killa_kandy ......
badge_division_0.png
... ............ NA (NA)
A2
Philippines.png
GTP_Masicampo ....
badge_division_0.png
... Eric ....... NA (NA)
B1
ca.gif
GTP_Hydro ........
badge_division_2.png
B2
us.gif
GTP_WRP001 .......
badge_division_2.png
C1
be.gif
GTP_Speedy6543 ...
badge_division_2.png
C2
uk.gif
GTP_Biffy ........
badge_division_2.png
... Jordan ..... NA (2.073)
D1
fi.gif
GTP_MadMax86 .....
badge_division_1.png
... Pekka ...... NA (1.969)
D2
us.gif
GTP_CSL ..........
badge_division_1.png

Qualifying Roles & Responsibilities:

GROUP A

Drivers (monitor): killa_kandy (GTP_Speedy6543, GTP_MadMax86) , GTP_Masicampo (GTP_Biffy, GTP_CSL)
Timing: GTP_WRP001
Flex: GTP_Hydro

GROUP B

Drivers (monitor): GTP_Hydro (killa_kandy, GTP_MadMax86) , GTP_WRP001 (GTP_Biffy, GTP_CSL)
Timing: GTP_Speedy6543
Flex: GTP_Masicampo

GROUP C

Drivers (monitor): GTP_Speedy6543 (killa_kandy, GTP_MadMax86) , GTP_Biffy (GTP_Masicampo, GTP_CSL)

GROUP D

Drivers (monitor): GTP_MadMax86 (killa_kandy, GTP_Speedy6543) , GTP_CSL (GTP_Masicampo, GTP_Biffy)

Flex driver will fill in if someone is missing or act as a backup monitor for one of the drivers.

Monitors, remember that an infraction has to be clear and obvious. Drivers must keep 2 on (or vertically in line with) the track at all times. Rumbles/ripple strips are part of the track. No contact with walls or objects. Painted Tarmac Outside of White Boundary Lines is not track. This includes the painted section of the loop corner, the Blue "cutout" on the left of the start finish straight, and the red cutout at trackside left after the long, looping right hand corner.

I started writing up an explanation of whether an off clearly affected time or not and it's confusing and left to interpretation so I'm going to make a last minute change and repeat this pre-race. If you go off track you get a 2 second penalty. End of story and no interpretation of it's impact on your lap. If you crash and spin and incur engine damage, you get an infraction and a 2 seconds added to your time for each infraction on the lap. That way there is only one thing monitors need to look for: Did the driver clearly go out of bounds? If Yes, the driver gets an infraction.

Last edited:
Once again my stupidity has got the better of me...does quali's start at 8pm GMT or does the race start at 8pm GMT....

Thanks

Once again my stupidity has got the better of me...does quali's start at 8pm GMT or does the race start at 8pm GMT....

Thanks

Quali Starts at 20:00 GMT. The countdown timer on the OP or event post always signals the start of quali. Practice may already be started. I'll check and if Marc hasn't already opened the lounge I will do so.

EDIT: I just started my PS3 and a "system update is required" message popped up. Make sure you get the PS3 on early to give you enough time to download and install the update. The update is quite large and has to do with the system integration with Vita.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back