4Wd drifting

I'm sorry did drifting originate from Finland with people driving on dirt?
Uh no it didn't

Why do you think everyone over the age of thirty calls the "feint" a "Scandinavian flick"?

Finns are lucky if they see any dirt at all, most of the year. Finnish ice and snow have even less grip. :D

Many of the original touge drifters cite rally racing as an influence in the development of their techniques. Almost all of the techniques used in the sport come from rallying. This is because touge races were more about speed than show, and rally techniques helped them deal with often treacherous conditions on the touge.

If you'd like to learn more about the driving techniques used and why they evolved the way they did, you owe it to yourself to watch rally racing footage from the 70's, as well as circuit racing footage from earlier. Many high speed drift techniques evolved as a way to get around a corner faster (rather than simply as a way to generate tire smoke) because of low grip levels.

Punting a car sideways around a corner in a rally is actually safer, because it gives the driver more options. If the corner is tighter than they thought, they're already pointed the right way. If it's looser, they simply straighten out.

Nowadays, with better pace notes and reconnoitering, rally drivers don't get quite as sideways as they used to. Because the tighter line is still faster.

Sadly. :lol:

Ahhh, good ol' group b! And the Ford that shut it down... This was also before anti lag made an appearance as well, to further back up Psu.

Why do you think everyone over the age of thirty calls the "feint" a "Scandinavian flick"?

Finns are lucky if they see any dirt at all, most of the year. Finnish ice and snow have even less grip. :D

Hate to be picky, but Finland (much like Norway and Sweden) have gravel / dirt about half the year, and ice / snow (if your'e up north, down "south" there is only 4 months + with ice / snow)

And for the record, I am a fan of Ken Block. He has brought a resurgence of rally to America, is like the only American currently racing in the WRC at the top level, and makes some awesome to watch, magically editted videos that are a stellar example of car control. Don't know him personally, may be a dick. But he has done great things for the automotive world. And also for the record, before you blame him for a whole slew of no-nothing fan boys wrecking the scene. Yeah, thats been around for generations, I have no doubt Steve Mcqueen caused the same thing to happen when Le Mans, The Getaway and Bullit came out. Idiots are not a new thing, they have been around since the dawn of time. You can't blame someone like Ken Block for someone elses ignorance.
Umm, Ken Block is usually at the bottom of WRC charts. Just saying.

AWD can be fun sometimes. Just be aware that learning AWD drifting first wont make learning RWD drifting later any easier. You will have to unlearn your AWD drifting habits to pick up on how to drift RWD.

Actually it does help a lot more than ur making it out. Funny story but I started out drifting an impreza, then by accident I was racing in my 86 and forgot to switch back to the impreza to drift and drifted pretty good albeit a lot slower and lo and behold when I looked and saw I was in my 86 I never went back to AWD drifting. AWD drifting at the least gets you used to sliding the rear, Counter steering and proper line taking. Just my 2 cents.

Im 100% sure in the 80's there were crazy men (or possibly greek gods) who used to fling sideways the worlds most insane dirt cars this side of Pikes Peak.

They were doing reverse entries before westerners found out the Japanese were sliding down the mountains...

Eiger Nordwand Short Track_3.jpg
Mitsubishi Galant 4WD :3

I'll keep my mouth shut next time lol I only asked a question and end up getting 🤬 Just for asking a question lol
There's those turds that ruin it for everyone. Drift what you want man. There will always be whiners. Add me on psn or inbox me and I'd be happy to help.

A Quick definition from google.
Drifting
is a driving technique where the driver intentionally or unintentionally oversteers, causing loss of traction in the rear wheels or all tires, while maintaining control from entry to exit of a corner. A car is drifting when the rear slip angle is greater than the front slip angle, to such an extent that often the front wheels are pointing in the opposite direction to the turn (e.g. car is turning left, wheels are pointed right or vice versa).

As a motorsport discipline, professional drifting competitions are held worldwide and are judged according to the speed, angle, showmanship and line taken through a corner or set of corners.

First proper response to the op:tup:

I have just been sliding around in my maxed out impreza rally car (gt5 rm) on RH at the Nordschleife for about an hour.

Power oversteer, feint oversteer, braking oversteer. All when I want it, but none when I don't. Proper tarmac rally style, high speed reverse entries into the tighter slow bends.

Love it.

I had been sliding my 350bhp 180sx before hand at Stowe.

I enjoy all aspects of driving fast, not just what some one else thinks is the 'right' thing to do.

I do agree though, that 4wd takes a lot of care and caution, to use on the same track as rwd at the same time without incident, and is best left to seperate sessions.

I also love sliding the old rwd rally cars, and 4wd cars on comforts or sports, anything really. But sliding is not necessarily drifting, as you would expect to see it at D1 or EDC etc.

Last edited:
IMO Awd drifting is perfectly fine with me. Everyone has different style or taste for drifting but if he wants to drift a awd car let him, don't act like little kids, help him out:dopey: we're all an community:gtpflag:

IMO Awd drifting is perfectly fine with me. Everyone has different style or taste for drifting but if he wants to drift a awd car let him, don't act like little kids, help him out:dopey: we're all an community:gtpflag:
We probably would be better off giving him a RWD car to drift in because by the sounds he only wants to learn to drift doesn't matter in what?

Im 100% sure in the 80's there were crazy men (or possibly greek gods) who used to fling sideways the worlds most insane dirt cars this side of Pikes Peak.

They were doing reverse entries before westerners found out the Japanese were sliding down the mountains...
you mean when pikes peak was all dirt?

First proper response to the op:tup:

I have just been sliding around in my maxed out impreza rally car (gt5 rm) on RH at the Nordschleife for about an hour.

Power oversteer, feint oversteer, braking oversteer. All when I want it, but none when I don't. Proper tarmac rally style, high speed reverse entries into the tighter slow bends.

Love it.

I had been sliding my 350bhp 180sx before hand at Stowe.

I enjoy all aspects of driving fast, not just what some one else thinks is the 'right' thing to do.

I do agree though, that 4wd takes a lot of care and caution, to use on the same track as rwd at the same time without incident, and is best left to seperate sessions.

I also love sliding the old rwd rally cars, and 4wd cars on comforts or sports, anything really. But sliding is not necessarily drifting, as you would expect to see it a D1 or EDC etc.

Did you just say Impreza on RH and drifting? You know why they call them Racing tyres? because they're not supposed to slide.

Not drifting, but sliding on slicks! Omg!!!1!

Please re-read the post you quoted and realise what I actually wrote, before jumping on my first paragraph.

Last edited:

Not drifting, but sliding on slicks! Omg!!!1!

Please re-read the post you quoted and realise what I actually wrote, before jumping on my first paragraph.

Those aren't slicks and that's not drifting.

And as far as I know from looking at the pictures of what racing, sports and comfort tyres are from gt5, Comfort tyres are fully street legal tyres which has a tread wear rating of 140. Which is not what's in the picture of Sports category. Sports tyres are typically semi slicks like R888s or something witch lower than 140 tread wear. And we all know that racing tyres are full slick tyres with a tread wear of 0. I know those pictures are just put there to differentiate but you have to know why they choose those tyres to represent that category. I'm just giving you guys an idea of what each tyre is supposed to represent in the real world. They're not accurate but it's close enough to say that comfort tyres are below 140 tread count. Note that in real life some people put semi slicks in front and lower grade street tyres in the rear. If the front tyres are semi slicks it doesn't mean the rear has the same.

If you want to drift sports or racing tyres because you think it's the more realistic tyre then I'll have to ask if you've ever drifted in real life. It might be fun sliding out of the corner with slicks but it's not drifting

Last edited:
Those aren't slicks and that's not drifting.

And as far as I know from looking at the pictures of what racing, sports and comfort tyres are from gt5, Comfort tyres are fully street legal tyres which has a tread wear rating of 140. Which is not what's in the picture of Sports category. Sports tyres are typically semi slicks like R888s or something witch lower than 140 tread wear. And we all know that racing tyres are full slick tyres with a tread wear of 0. I know those pictures are just put there to differentiate but you have to know why they choose those tyres to represent that category. I'm just giving you guys an idea of what each tyre is supposed to represent in the real world. They're not accurate but it's close enough to say that comfort tyres are below 140 tread count. Note that in real life some people put semi slicks in front and lower grade street tyres in the rear. If the front tyres are semi slicks it doesn't mean the rear has the same.

If you want to drift sports or racing tyres because you think it's the more realistic tyre then I'll have to ask if you've ever drifted in real life. It might be fun sliding out of the corner with slicks but it's not drifting
For crying out loud.

I never once said id been drifting on slicks.

Sliding, yes.

I never once said drifting on sports or racing tyres was more realistic.

You didn't re-read my first post that you quoted.

When did I claim to be 'drifting' on slicks with 4wd?

The video shows a car setup for grip, on sticky 'semi slick' tyres, sliding around, in what looks like a very fun driving style.

I even said in the post, it's not 'drifting' as you would expect to see it at the EDC etc, and explained, quite clearly, that I was sliding in a tarmac rally style.

What's wrong with you?

It's guys like you, that are too narrow minded, that are ruining drifting IMO.

When did I ask for an explanation of the tyres?

I'm fully aware of what they're supposed to be representing.

Go watch the driftworks film, 'outsiders in Japan', got some great culture, and it explains how European drifting and Japanese drifting differs in style and ethos.

The pure fact that the Japanese do it differently to what you would see at a euro comp, proves that there is no be-all-and-end-all of drifting.

Drift what you want, on what you want, where and when you want.

I said in my first reply that 4wd takes great care to use on the same track as rwd, but it's not impossible, for a few skilled, courteous drivers to have some mixed group fun.

I even conceded and included the fact that I had been drifting a stereotypical drift car before my moment of madness with the impreza.

I don't understand why it's so much of an issue, if some bloke who plays a video game, wants to do something that has been intended by the game designers.. Not exploiting or glitching, just using provided options.

If you wernt aware, all tyres, even the front of a motorbike, will be sliding to a certain degree, whilst cornering. It's called slip angle, and is what causes a tyre to change direction.

Last edited:
For crying out loud.

I never once said id been drifting on slicks.

Sliding, yes.

I never once said drifting on sports or racing tyres was more realistic.

You didn't re-read my first post that you quoted.

When did I claim to be 'drifting' on slicks with 4wd?

The video shows a car setup for grip, on sticky 'semi slick' tyres, sliding around, in what looks like a very fun driving style.

I even said in the post, it's not 'drifting' as you would expect to see it at the EDC etc, and explained, quite clearly, that I was sliding in a tarmac rally style.

What's wrong with you?

It's guys like you, that are too narrow minded, that are ruining drifting IMO.

When did I ask for an explanation of the tyres?

I'm fully aware of what they're supposed to be representing.

Go watch the driftworks film, 'outsiders in Japan', got some great culture, and it explains how European drifting and Japanese drifting differs in style and ethos.

The pure fact that the Japanese do it differently to what you would see at a euro comp, proves that there is no be-all-and-end-all of drifting.

Drift what you want, on what you want, where and when you want.

I said in my first reply that 4wd takes great care to use on the same track as rwd, but it's not impossible, for a few skilled, courteous drivers to have some mixed group fun.

I even conceded and included the fact that I had been drifting a stereotypical drift car before my moment of madness with the impreza.

I don't understand why it's so much of an issue, if some bloke who plays a video game, wants to do something that has been intended by the game designers.. Not exploiting or glitching, just using provided options.

If you wernt aware, all tyres, even the front of a motorbike, will be sliding to a certain degree, whilst cornering. It's called slip angle, and is what causes a tyre to change direction.
You need to calm down mate. No one disrespected you so there's no need to be so aggressive in your responses. But, If you didn't want to bring up the topic of slicks and "sliding" then why did you talk about it at all? This is a drifting forum so everything you say I will assume it's related to drifting especially saying something like "sliding around the nurburgring".

You need to calm down mate. No one disrespected you so there's no need to be so aggressive in your responses. But, If you didn't want to bring up the topic of slicks and "sliding" then why did you talk about it at all? This is a drifting forum so everything you say I will assume it's related to drifting especially saying something like "sliding around the nurburgring".
wat

Not this crap again. My comment about the slicks was not directed at Fuzzy, I was directing it at the general public on the drifting forum. The reason these threads are here is for clarification. Give people different angles to look at things. I was never attacking Fez and I'm sorry if he felt like I was directing everything towards him I wasn't.

What was the point of your last post? And yes you did disrespect him, stop acting like you know everything. You're just irritating people.
I don't know everything, I'm not very good at drifting and I sure as hell didn't disrespect any.

Last edited:
I'm perfectly calm, mate.

Please re-read all that i have posted in this thread.

Okay, I agree this is the 'drifting' forum. But I don't class sliding 4wd cars as drifting, or 'grip' racing. So where should I mention it?

You don't have to assume, when I made the context perfectly clear

The fact is, I employ drifting techniques whilst driving these 4wd cars, whether you like it or not. I also slide about on RH in full attack mode, also in 4wd cars.

It's not like I only preach about 4wd and slicks. I have posted many times about rwd CH drifting.

I didn't feel like you were attacking me, but if you quote someone, and then respond to somthing in said quote, it implies you are responding to that individual.

I don't think anyone had mentioned using sports or slicks for more realistic drifting?

With the greatest of respect, I couldn't care less what your opinion is, your entitled to it, but I don't have to consider it. In all honesty, I don't have the time to worry about an anonymous person at the other end of an Internet connection, but I will fight my corner if someone tries to belittle me.

Back