$5 Billion to Revitalize Lincoln: Enter the 400 BHP '16 MKZ

• Thread starter YSSMAN
  • 187 comments
The page literally says "only used to describe people".

Omnis is right about the cherry-picking.

Fair enough. I guess it helps to read the page for more than a few seconds before using it.

I guess it helps to read the page for more than a few seconds before using it.

Thank you.

Pulchritudinous actually comes from the Latin pulcher, which means beautiful. It was the name of some handsome Roman dudes too. The bards used to sing songs of their beauty:

Can't read my--
Can't read my--
No, he can't read my pulcher face.

P-p-p-pulcher face, p-p-pulcher face.
P-p-p-pulcher face, p-p-pulcher face.

Two all-new Lincoln SUVs to join the lineup, one of which will revive the Aviator nameplate, by 2020.

https://www.carscoops.com/2018/03/lincoln-aviator-will-joined-second-new-utility-vehicle/

Lincoln-MKC-1-1.jpg

I wish Lincoln would build something to compete with the LC500. With the new Navigator, I'm confident they can nail the interior (LOL @ Cadillac), and possibly come up with a handsome exterior. I guess it could be called the Mark Ten (Just a shame they halfway wasted that nameplate on the loathsome MKX). There could be a Ford version (Thunderbird, obviously) as well. The Mustang platform is surely capable of providing the basis for both of these hypothetical large coupes.

Who am I kidding. SUVs are the only path to Lincoln's survival.

GM spent an awful lot of money and time over the past 20 years positioning most of the Cadillac lineup and brand image into a game of "It's like a BMW, but..."; only for Mercedes Benz and Audi and Lexus and even Infiniti to completely kick their teeth in over the same period of time while calling plays from the largely same playbook.

Ford could make better use of the money they allocate towards Lincoln product development by simply burning it.

Last edited:
GM spent an awful lot of money and time over the past 20 years positioning most of the Cadillac lineup and brand image into a game of "It's like a BMW, but..."; only for Mercedes Benz and Audi and Lexus and even Infiniti to completely kick their teeth in over the same period of time while calling plays from the largely same playbook.

Ford could make better use of the money they allocate towards Lincoln product development by simply burning it.
Spot on. Even if Lincoln modernizes and truly does churn out gorgeous, high-quality vehicles over the next ten years, sales will still suffer because buyers will subconsciously think of Lincoln as that "old lady brand". Lincoln's image has been nothing but depressing for far too long.

The Lincoln Continental Is Getting Suicide Doors: Report

Cool. But why? (actually, that seems to be the feeling about the Continental in general)

Put them on the Navigator, not the Continental!!

The current Continental was a big flop, mainly because it looked nothing like a Lincoln, it looked like a last gen Jaguar XF. If they are going to do suicide doors do it on a car that will do them justice, don't do it as part of a mid cycle facelift on the current one.

They need to put into production the concept which actually looked like a Continental. 15 years on it still looks amazing, I would buy that now.

upload_2018-3-26_23-22-11.png

Last edited:
The current Continental was a big flop, mainly because it looked nothing like a Lincoln, it looked like a last gen Jaguar XF. If they are going to do suicide doors do it on a car that will do them justice, don't do it as part of a mid cycle facelift on the current one.

They need to put into production the concept which actually looked like a Continental. 15 years on it still looks amazing, I would buy that now.

When you say 'looked nothing like a Lincoln or Continental' what you mean is that it doesn't look much like a 4th-Gen Continental. But then neither did the 1st - 3rd or 5th - 9th generation of Lincoln Continentals. It's one of those cars that has look really quite different each time it's been redesigned to suit contemporary trends, to compete with competition or just differentiate itself from whatever Ford underpinnings it shares.

When you say 'looked nothing like a Lincoln or Continental' what you mean is that it doesn't look much like a 4th-Gen Continental. But then neither did the 1st - 3rd or 5th - 9th generation of Lincoln Continentals. It's one of those cars that has look really quite different each time it's been redesigned to suit contemporary trends, to compete with competition or just differentiate itself from whatever Ford underpinnings it shares.

It didn't look American enough, it looked way too European. Luxury brands like Cadillac, Lincoln etc more than most need to sell where they are from. As for looking like a Continental, if your going to launch a make or break car isn't it better to pull inspiration from 'that' Continental, the one everyone knows, to help it along. It's like when people say looks like a Mustang, they mean looks like 'that' Mustang. The fact they are now considering suicide doors is a slight admission of back peddling.

View attachment 725027
The odd thing about that concept is that 5-10 years ago it looked really dated, and now it looks fresh again. That sort of design language is back in style.

I do agree that it would help if it looked more American, but on the other hand I personally really like the look of it and I think it theoretically takes Lincoln in the right direction. Also, the interior is decidedly American even if the exterior isn't.

The odd thing about that concept is that 5-10 years ago it looked really dated, and now it looks fresh again. That sort of design language is back in style.

I do agree that it would help if it looked more American, but on the other hand I personally really like the look of it and I think it theoretically takes Lincoln in the right direction. Also, the interior is decidedly American even if the exterior isn't.

I think the problem with the Conti is that it is competing with vehicles that are perceived as more authentic. I would argue that buyers of these types of vehicles (and importantly unlike crossover buyers) are a bit more discerning than most, and the Continental's fwd-biased platform is anathema to the perception of class, proper engineering, tradition, etc. I personally feel like it's mostly unfounded, but I don't think you can really ever shake the feeling that you are driving a tarted up Ford Taurus for the price of a genuine Mercedes/BMW/Audi. When has a FWD full size luxury sedan ever really worked? It certainly didn't work with the Acura RL.

I think the problem with the Conti is that it is competing with vehicles that are perceived as more authentic. I would argue that buyers of these types of vehicles (and importantly unlike crossover buyers) are a bit more discerning than most, and the Continental's fwd-biased platform is anathema to the perception of class, proper engineering, tradition, etc. I personally feel like it's mostly unfounded, but I don't think you can really ever shake the feeling that you are driving a tarted up Ford Taurus for the price of a genuine Mercedes/BMW/Audi. When has a FWD full size luxury sedan ever really worked? It certainly didn't work with the Acura RL.
I definitely think that's an important factor. If I lived in the US and was in the market for a luxury car I'd definitely consider the Continental for its amazing 30 way seats, nice interior, and overall style. And then I'd throw it out of the running because it's not nearly as good to drive as a 5 series or an XF. Or a Chevrolet SS, though that's another matter...

Now that is how you design a crossover. That interior is especially gorgeous....up there with Lexus IMO. I think this might be better looking (inside and out) than just about any other SUV/CUV. Way to go Lincoln! With this and the new Navigator, this is the first time in a very, very long time that I've seen signs of genuine vitality and swagger from a US-based automaker. I mean, I was born in 1989 and really the only other American car that has shown some passion in design (performance & limited production cars excluded) in my entire lifetime was probably the original 300C. Everything else has just screamed "we're doing our best".

The article says it's a concept vehicle, but that looks like a fully finished production car.

The Continental's front end translated way better onto the Aviator and recent Navigator concept. They look really good inside and out and most importantly they look like the level of luxury the brand is trying to convey.

Eunos_Cosmo
I mean, I was born in 1989 and really the only other American car that has shown some passion in design (performance & limited production cars excluded) in my entire lifetime was probably the original 300C.

The 300C really was a masterpiece of design.

The Conti flopped because (A) it's ugly, (B) its seats are terrible, (C) infotainment is a nightmare, (D) the shift button layout is a complete joke.

Whoever thought that split-back seat design was a good idea needs to be fired. It's a bad look when the Expedition's seats are a million times more comfortable.

I've got high hopes for Lincoln. While Cadillac is going all modern and sporty, Lincoln is staying relatively traditional, and beautiful. I love the styling direction of the Continental and Navigator, and the Aviator is dirt sexy.

I also love that they're bringing back names. Gotta love a classic name instead of alphabet soup. It gives the car personality.

Latest Posts

Back