50 Greatest liveries of all time.

• Thread starter albteman015
  • 1,617 comments
It's probably been said but the John Player Special Locus livery anyone? Terrible smokes though.

Oh yeah, that is an excellent one
lotus98_2.jpg

The name on the car makes it better.

And the Lotus-Renault for this year is also excellent, also helped by a driver with a yellow helmet and the surname "Senna".
dmk1113fe66.jpg

Here's an acquaintance of mine:

PA170247.jpg

Gulf liveries are so over-done.

It was perfect on the GT40 and nice on the Aston Martin Lola to a certain extent, but it's being put on everything lately that it's become a plain boring livery.

Play this:

Now, look at this - Jonathon Webb's one-off Star Wars Blu-ray release livery that he'll use at this weekend's L&H 500 at Philip Island:

IMG_3315.JPG

IMG_3292.JPG

IMG_3298.JPG

People will probably disagree but this has got to be one of my favourite liveries:

c0c47db1-df89-4f01-ab59-e850c0a86089.jpg

Also the Toro Rosso's are beautiful F1 cars, especially pre-2009 when they had the bull even bgger over the whole rear of the cars
01_08_italy_gp_450op.jpg

Another favourite design is this, its a shame the front of the car is so ugly because the rest is actually nicely designed

My favourites...

2011 BMW M3 GTE Pro Le Mans - Simple but meaningful to me.

5830943740_eb46a74105_d.jpg

2008 BMW Sauber F1.08 - Another simple livery that goes very well with this nicely designed F1.08. Unfortunately it didn't go that well with its predecessors and successor.

f108.jpg

2010 Audi R15 TDI LMP1 - Hopefully I'm not the only one...

audi_r15_tdi_plus_race_livery.jpg

Haribo Porsche - Such a cute looking livery ~ to me at least.

88statischfrontundseite540_540.jpg

Mercedes C-Klasse DTM Gary Paffet - I kind of like the combination of the colours.

SalzgitterDTMHocken.jpg

Lastly for this session..

Warsteiner E30 M3 Coupe - Nostalgic...

5748463912_0d2fcaef54.jpg

[All the pictures included in this post aren't mine and only found through Google Images]

I don't know if it's the car making the liveries look good, or if they are indeed good, but Famine's pic makes us realize it's mainly the car. Let's face it, the 917 make any livery look amazing. Even painted in pink (and there was one :D )

Still, here's another one I always loved:

Porsche_917_1970_Psychedelic_Porsche-2.jpg

(it's like girls and dresses ... Any dress ... even if it's just rags ... on Charlize Theron looks amazing, doesn't it? :D )

dodge-viper-gtsr-22.jpg

Rally-Montecarlo-1997-Piero-Liatti-Subaru-Impreza-STI-22B-WRC.jpg

3063596290_b6f21940c0.jpg

Just a couple of my favs...
Using the ipad makes going through all fifty a real pain and Im not sure if any of those are on the list.

Btw I love solid colors in liveries like the arta nsx, mobile one nsx, and both the renault elf car and the jager porsche posted already in this thread.

Yeah that stratos and penzoil were both awesome.
Another great one was the toyota gt-one in red. 👍
Im looking forward to seeing some good lfa liveries in the future.

The endurance races in the V8 Supercars usually means special liveries. Jonathon Webb's STAR WARS livery is one of them, but Ford Performance Racing has unveiled a one-off design to celebrate the release of the GT Black:

FPR2.jpg

And, of course, Greg Murphy has another graffiti-style Pepsi Max design:

927330-greg-murphy-bathurst.jpg

If good liveries made cars go faster, then I expect Murphy, Winterbottom and Webb will be very competitive ...

jg08_r209_1.jpg

Simple. Black paint with silver under lining. Suddenly, Badass. I realize it's in that list, but it's worth a re-post.

as well...

petty43_72charger.jpg

Andy Granatelli wants to sponsor Richard Petty. Petty wants car to be blue. Granatelli has always had red cars. The result? Petty Blue and STP Red on the same car. Suddenly, this mishmash paintscheme is seen all over the world...

Even in Japan.

IMG_3209_800px.jpg

Of course, one more...

bf4_mainimage.jpg

It's really not all that complex - just some names and a little painting splashed on the side of a blue Ford pickup. However, as I see it, the first Bigfoot scheme, without all the clutter or stripes or sponsors...it's a simple, elegant branding that's stood the test of time.

Last edited:
I think this year's Barwa Addax livery in GP2 looks fantastic:

6.jpg

Blue was all the rage in Formula 1 a few years ago - BMW Sauber, Honda and Williams all used it, but they only used dark blue. We haven't really seen light blue since the days of the Mild Seven Renaults. I'd like to see it back; it's under-used.

Speaking of light blue liveries, the Rizla Suzuki bikes in MotoGP also look fantastic:

2616008629_e5baec9ba0.jpg

I also like Jason Bargwanna's Jana Living Commodore in V8 Supercars:

1-18-2011-JANA-LIVING-PREORDER.aspx

I'm really leaning towards single-colour liveries of late. Despite it being so uncompetitive (and my least-favourite team), I think the Ferrari F60 looked terrific. The white wings on the F10 and F150-degree Italia really ruin it.

I think some of this year's BTCC liveries are not too bad.

Frank-Wrathalls-Toyota.jpg

btcc11031701.jpg

st_6692_c2dd.jpg

btcc_pre10_15.jpg

Austin2.jpg

Mat-jackson-BTCC_2632793.jpg

A colourful grid for sure! I've always quite liked Andrew Jordan's distinctive Pirtek livery.

The Xanavi Nismo GT-R JGTC Has to qualify for this:

Especially round the back where the red and silver meets the black:drool:

The Scuderia Toro Rosso STR6 looks pretty darn good.
STR6a.jpg

And Vaughn Gitten Jr.'s Monster/Falken Mustang.
3E4H3257-MONSTER-MUSTANG-RTR-VAUGHN-GITTIN-JR-FALKEN%20copy.jpg

I remember this car in GT2, I first saw it and I loved it ever since.
2985771150042491333oKPPdv_ph.jpg

Despite the fact that they were an absolute disaster, I really liked the IntaRacing V8 Sueprcars livery:

PA559984.jpg

I also like Tony Bates' new favour(it).com livery in the Fujitsu Development Series:

Bates-344x224.jpg

Bates2-344x224.jpg

Despite the fact that they were an absolute disaster, I really liked the IntaRacing V8 Sueprcars livery:

PA559984.jpg

I also like Tony Bates' new favour(it).com livery in the Fujitsu Development Series:

Bates-344x224.jpg

Bates2-344x224.jpg

Those are nice indeed!

Toll Holden Racing Team:
BathurstLivery_full.jpg

Keihin Real Racing:
hmt_20100821_img_2997-2_dev1.jpg

Lets have some from karting.

The 2010 tonykart. ( I prefer it to the 2011 livery)
11_320.jpg

And the Intrepid Cruiser (with the intrepid race suit.)
JoshHartrace.jpg

I've always found pink to be an under-used colour in motorsports. Maybe because pink is traditionally a "girl's" colour and motorsport is almost unanimously masculine. But pink is a particularly powerful colour, especially the darker shades:

scaled.0516_spt_PINKCAR01_t653.jpg

tdr-bathurst-livery1.jpg

morris2-344x198.jpg

In fact, if I were a racing driver, I'd happily wear a pink helmet.

And after watching MotoGP for a while, I've decided I really like Andrea Iannone's green and black design:

andrea_iannone_motegi_gara_2011.jpg

Just ... not with pink in it.

Back