5th LED Sixaxis Mod

United States
Inland Empire SoCal
SOLID_LIFTERS
The Sixaxis controller originally had a 5th LED for the center PS button. However, it was never added. Perhaps it drained the battery too much. But, a simple mod can add any LED you want back in.

Taking apart a Sixaxis is not a difficult task, but for a simple process, it takes a long time to do. I just did it to see how difficult this mod is and it's not for noobs. Do the following at your own risk.

Here's the first mod of two. A small LED was used.

Used 0603 size LEDs. They are about the size of the letter E on the front of a dime. The wire that goes to the back goes to a PAD labeled GRD (ground). There are about 5 different ones on the back to choose from.

cont1.JPG

cont3.JPG

cont5.JPG

Here's the second mod with a bigger more powerful LED.

Parts needed:

PS3 controller
3mm LED (or 5mm if you want a really bright light, its a tight squeeze)
some wire
some solder
some patience

First you need to solder some short wires to the PCB board @ the "5" hole on the right side, and at the leg where the red wire plugs into the middle of the board. you will then solder an led to these 2 wires, do this while the controller is on so you can make sure it works. If you are using a 3mm or 5mm rather than the size eb used, you must melt or cut the black piece of plastic that is a cylinder under the PS button. It is the cylinder that the clear rubber piece slides into. This will allow the LED to sit in this cylinder directly under the PS button. you will also have to cut the part of the clear rubber piece that goes down into this cylinder. Leave enough to where it still sits in the rubber holster. After this is all done you should be able to just close it up and be done. BEFORE you put it all back together put the analog sticks back on the board and make sure they dont hit the wires to the LED (this happened to me and I had to make some adjustments.

DSC01179.jpg

DSC01177.jpg

DSC01197.jpg

sixaxis_mod.JPG

I did some probing around last night and this is what I discovered!

+ side/power is active.
- side/ground is inactive
remember LED's are polarized so negative and positive contacts have to be placed correctly in the right direction

I followed the circuit trace and it dead ends right at the R22 printed on the board. What you have to do is jump the connection between that spot and pin five or another ground source. That will ground out the negative LED pad and allow you to install the surface mount led directly to the pads. That way the led will sit fully inside the tunnel for the PS button and not leak out as much light to other spots in the controller.

I tested this by holding a 3 volt bulb type led in place and jumping the ground with 2 pins and a piece of wire ( ghetto style) I couldn't take a pic because my hand where full...sorry but I assure you it worked.

jumpcopy.jpg

contactcopy.jpg

Man, I *reaaaally* want to do this, but I have NEVER touched a soldering iron before...

- Be careful which end you pick up then (the thick plastic/rubber end rather than the thinner metal end ;) )

Solid - have you found that the batteries run down any quicker since the mod?

Very cool! Waiting to see how it fairs for your battery life.

Without a resistor, the 0603 surface LEDS reduce the battery life from around 20 hours to 12 hours. However, adding a 1/8w resistor reduces it to 15 hours. Five to eight less hours for a center LED. You can see why Sony left it out. Using the resistor means you don't need to jump the R22 and #5 solder points.

Ouch! That's a serious hit on battery life. Definitely takes away from the coolness factor.

- Be careful which end you pick up then (the thick plastic/rubber end rather than the thinner metal end ;) )

Solid - have you found that the batteries run down any quicker since the mod?

I think Solid copy/pasted this from somewhere else. But I could be wrong.

It's still very cool nonetheless. :)

edit: looks like I'm wrong.

Ouch! That's a serious hit on battery life. Definitely takes away from the coolness factor.
Is wireless gaming really that important?

[EDIT] Actually, when you're only doing it for a little LED I suppose it is. :odd:

Is wireless gaming really that important?

[EDIT] Actually, when you're only doing it for a little LED I suppose it is. :odd:

Wireless gaming? It is where I'm setup. The PS3 is 20+ feet away from my couch. The couch is 16+ feet away from the 60" LCD that I game on. Wireless gaming is a must, but in case of emergencies, I can use my Belkin USB extension cable should I need to be wired due to low battery life.

Wireless gaming? It is where I'm setup. The PS3 is 20+ feet away from my couch. The couch is 16+ feet away from the 60" LCD that I game on. Wireless gaming is a must, but in case of emergencies, I can use my Belkin USB extension cable should I need to be wired due to low battery life.
What's the point sitting miles away from a 60" TV when you could save money by a 14" and sit 6 inches away :dopey:

What's the point sitting miles away from a 60" TV when you could save money by a 14" and sit 6 inches away :dopey:

:lol: I've asked myself that may times before. Anytime I play a multi-player split screen game I remember why it's so nice.

:lol: I've asked myself that may times before. Anytime I play a multi-player split screen game I remember why it's so nice.
Yeah that's true. I have to hook the PS2 up to the 32inch to play 4 player TS:FP. It's unbearable on a 21inch.

Soooo, how exactly did you come across this Solid Lifters? Or do you just enjoy ripping open PS controllers?

Yea, screw that, I can deal w/out the LED...that's a huge hit on batt life. . . maybe that's why the 360 sucks with it's battery life?

Erm... what? I get 40 hours on the 360 pad (though I'm using AAs). Maybe you're using the play-and-charge kit, but for me, battery life is great.

Interesting. Is it also possible to replace the port # LEDs as well? I'd like to have one controller with red lighting and one with blue. Also, what size LED are you using? I suppose the size probably wouldn't make much difference in battery life though, right?

It doesn't seem too hard to out the controller in the charger when you are done playing. Unless you are saying you are planning on a 15 hour and 1 minute gaming marathon, it doesn't seem too hard to simply charge the controller up.

Anyways, of all the console modds I've seen, this has got to be the easiest, if the instructions are correct (and I'm assuming they are). Ranks right up there with overclocking Sega Genesis' on the coolness factor, too.

It doesn't seem too hard to out the controller in the charger when you are done playing. Unless you are saying you are planning on a 15 hour and 1 minute gaming marathon, it doesn't seem too hard to simply charge the controller up.

Maybe I don't know something you know, but you can only charge the controller through the PS3 when it's on.

Anyways, of all the console modds I've seen, this has got to be the easiest, if the instructions are correct (and I'm assuming they are). Ranks right up there with overclocking Sega Genesis' on the coolness factor, too.

True, although the PS3 has to be on for the controllers to charge. I read that you can plug your PS3 controller into a standards PC USB port for charging purposes so that relieves some of the uncomfortable feelings of leaving the PS3 on just for charging the controllers.

Duċk;2532207
I think Solid copy/pasted this from somewhere else. But I could be wrong.

It's still very cool nonetheless. :)

edit: looks like I'm wrong.

No, you're correct. I took my controller apart, like I stated above, to do some research, but didn't have the parts to do the mod. With the mods and battery life I didn't think it was worth it. But, I'm still interested in possibly doing this. I'm two feet from my PS3, and recharging takes less than an hour, anyway. I just might do this. It's an easy mod, but it will take a long time doing it.

I'd do the first mod, with the five new blue 0603 LEDs. The center PS button looks bright enough to me (the first pic).

The other pics show the 3mm and 5mm LED mods. The overly bright blue LED is the 5mm, and the green LED is the 3mm. Both of these drain more battery life than what they're worth. I calculated with the fifth 0603 LED for the battery life hit, in the above post. Just one extra 0603 LED, which the four charging LEDs are in the Sixaxis, really takes a hit on your charged battery life.

Is it worth to do this mod? Yes, and no, but mostly no. It's something cool to do to make your PS3 unique, but at a big cost. It's up to you to decide if it's worth it.

Cool mod. 👍 Simple enough for anyone to do (unless you can't tell which is the hot end of a soldering iron...but then you probably shouldn't be doing anything unsupervised ;) ).

How about functional mods, like adding back vibration?

;)

I'm no expert on electronics but what else do you need to know?

How to solder without creating a puddle of metal on the circuits.

Has anyone tested battery life putting an 0603 on the PS button?

How to solder without creating a puddle of metal on the circuits.

Has anyone tested battery life putting an 0603 on the PS button?
He was asking about what size LEDs he used which I'd noticed had already been mentioned twice, but being no expert I wasn't sure which one was most relevant or whether they were all you needed to know determine size.

Actually ;)

looks very similar to the mods ive seen for psp to make buttons illuminated. apparently the older psps also had extra points for leds that didnt make it into production versions, my friend added one blue led (not sure what kind but i know he got everything he needed from radio shack for 5.00$) and it worked fine, no noticeable hit on battery life either according to him. it would be a cool idea if you could upgrade the controllers battery life at the same time, or even have a small switch hidden somewhere for all the leds so you choose when theyre on

looks very similar to the mods ive seen for psp to make buttons illuminated. apparently the older psps also had extra points for leds that didnt make it into production versions, my friend added one blue led (not sure what kind but i know he got everything he needed from radio shack for 5.00$) and it worked fine, no noticeable hit on battery life either according to him. it would be a cool idea if you could upgrade the controllers battery life at the same time, or even have a small switch hidden somewhere for all the leds so you choose when theyre on

If you already have the tools, which you should, then only the resistor and LEDs are needed. That will cost you about $1.35 to replace all five LEDs or just $.55 for adding the one LED.

However, people who used the 5mm LED are having serious battery life problems. Those who didn't use a resistor are also having battery life problems, and are undoing the mod.

Like I said, use caution, and use a resistor.

What kind of voltage does that li-ion put out, anyway? I wouldn't put an LED on most anything without adding a resistor.

What kind of voltage does that li-ion put out, anyway? I wouldn't put an LED on most anything without adding a resistor.

Max, it's 4v, but average 3.8 to 2.4 when the battery dies down. These are guesstimates, only.

Originally, the center LED only lights up under charging and when the battery is very low and needs charging. Also, when it's pressed.

Back