6 reasons why I think GT Sport Remastered will and should launch with the PS5

• Thread starter Magog
  • 99 comments
United States
United States
1. They will want to avoid the mistake of launching a new game at the end of life of the PS4 like they did with GT6 which had terrible sales for a GT game.

2. Every PlayStation had or was supposed to have a launch racing game. (Driveclub was supposed to launch with the PS4 but was delayed.)

3. Crossplay with the PS4 version will allow for a larger userbase for online races.

4. The car models already are too good to be used on the PS4 version in actual races thus the existing models could be reused for a remaster at no cost.

5. Gran Turismo has long been a "killer app" for Sony and having it at launch will give the PS5 a big boost.

6. It will be much easier and a much better experience to launch the game with the huge amount of cars and tracks GT Sport will have in about 2 years when the PS5 launches assuming updates continue to add to the game at the current pace. The alternative being to start a new game from scratch and get beaten up in reviews for a lack of content.

That said I don't think they will actually call it GT Sport Remastered they will probably call it GT7 for marketing reasons but it will by necessity share all tracks and cars with GT Sport if there is going to be Crossplay between the games.

Here's one counterpoint.

I bought a PS4 because I heard there was a ''new"" Gran Turismo coming.

If youre telling me they are recycling the same game for PS5 then I'm not going to buy a new console just for that.

Let me put it like this, I bought my ps4 in 2014. The whole reason for buying it didnt realise until early 2018!

ALso I would hope there are two mainline titles for each generation.

Last edited by a moderator:
The engine is already future proof so it should not be a problem to carry everything over from GTS. However I don't think they should leave it cross play with the PS4 as I'm hoping for a complete overhaul of sport mode.

- Weather!
- More cars for longer tracks like Nur24, Sarthe and Mount Panorama. 50 car 50 minute races on Nur24 please.
- Full VR intergration, sport mode in VR
- Racing licenses for Sport mode with better rewards for racing in higher leagues.
- Goal oriented racing in sport mode, career type racing tied to sport mode.
- DR tied to track and car type, separate DR per track, rewards for improving per track.
- SR based on trends instead of 1-99 point scale.

Perhaps at first cross-play could be implemented. 4 daily races, with the 4th restricted to ps5 due to dynamic weather and/or higher car counts.

It would be nice if the ps5 editions comes in two flavors. A discounted upgrade for existing players that updates the ps4 version and works on ps5, and a full new package for ps5 only.

It could still take 3 years before the ps5 arrives so a GT7 can still happen. I don't mind paying again for more GT in any form, I already tried switching to the digital edition yet can't download that much at once :/

Exactly why is "remaster" even an idea for a title no older then a year? That's not how remasters work typically.
Yeah, the topic seems more in line with doing what Rockstar did, and just re-releasing GT:Sport on a new console that will allow PD to update/implement some new features.

Rockstar didn't call the PS4 release of GTA a remaster but that's what it was. High res version of the same game.
Remasters are usually more in-depth than that; I believe most developers will go through and fix any bugs/glitches/etc to clean the game up.

GTA V on the next gen. was really more of a purchasable update. Rockstar didn't really address any of the concerns of the game or fix any gameplay mechanics, they just made it prettier with a bunch of new details and content.

Nope OP you have it wrong. PS5 will be completely bc with PS4 so GT Sport will run on PS5 with enhancements such as native 4k, dynamic weather, and a more comprehensive VR mode. It just makes the most business since.

I believe they will reuse the assets, including the engine. The hardware will allow for higher quality in-game models, relections, draw distances. All the tracks and cars we are not getting will be there, along with weather, and they’ll call it GT7.

An even bigger claim?

It’ll be a launch title and they’ll get my money right away.

I don't want a "remastered" version or something like that.

But I'd like a further developed, new Gran Turismo game that I can carry over all my DR/SR data and the Championship racing results.

Of course with the possibility to carry over the liveries created and decals uploaded.

As a developing concept of e-sport within GTS, I think PD have already constructed a great base.

They just have to maintain and keep improving it.

I think it needs to become a free to play title. All Tracks free, player gets to pick a manufacturer at the start of game for which they get a GR4/GR3 car and all other cars to be purchased/earned through the game. Do away with currency and move everything to mileage points. Title gets updated over time and moves from platform to platform. Free to play does away with barrier to entry, also no on going PS+ fees.

I bought the GTAV PS4 re-release and it was worth every penny. I would definitely buy a PS5 version of this game if the save and stats carried over seamlessly. Also, if cross-platform online play existed. But I really doubt it would, and splitting the player base would absolutely kill Sport Mode.

I think it needs to become a free to play title. All Tracks free, player gets to pick a manufacturer at the start of game for which they get a GR4/GR3 car and all other cars to be purchased/earned through the game. Do away with currency and move everything to mileage points. Title gets updated over time and moves from platform to platform. Free to play does away with barrier to entry, also no on going PS+ fees.

Worst idea ever.

If GT7 is not a PS5 launch title then putting GTS on it is the second best idea.

It's Sony and PD though so I'm expecting GT7 on PS4 after 5 has launched.

There's also one other thing.

I feel like we're at a point where its diminishing returns as far as graphics go.

There was an obvious step from GT4 -> GT5.

GT6 -> GTS sure, even if both sought to hit FHD@60 however do you feel like GTS -> GT7 on ps5 will have the same kind of upgrade in graphics?

You gotta sell me on more than GFX.

I feel like I dont want to start from scratch or continue where I left off in GTS on ps4 to GT Sport V2 on ps5.

My feeling is that GT Sport is the game of this generation. I loved that first week in GTS learning all the new mechanics.

I want that feeling again in GT7, not the same thing on ps5.

It's Sony and PD though so I'm expecting GT7 on PS4 after 5 has launched.

We are talking about Poliphony-Digital not about Rockstar, on PS4 only one GT, it seems that they aren't able to manage/follow one game , two games on two consoles should be a delirioum.... (IMHO)

IR

Things could go very bad in that direction of what your saying, in fact. They tried doing something like that during the PS3 era where GT: HD would have a freemuium version and a Premium version, but it didn't go through because the cash opportunities are quite low. And, I do think PS Plus needs to not be free, but online functions should be left alone for everyone to play. But, this isn't a solution, and dare I say a bad one.

Free GTS with limited cars and track, maybe lock them out at RACE A. GTS need more playerbase

Race C with only 7 players is not fun at 2AM localtime

Good points @Magog , however, imagining me playing GT Sport for next 5-7 years makes me not too happy.

I say 5-7 because it's impossible for PD to continually add new content at this rate (~10 cars, ~1 track) and develop a new Gran Turismo at the same time. This new content rate is already way too quick for PD and I still cannot believe we are getting so much new content every month, even though most of it is GT6-upgraded.

So, if PD re-releases GT Sport for PS5 (assuming it'll launch in 2020), we might get a next GT in roughly 3-5 years after that.

And remember, if they don't release GT Sport for PS5, I highly doubt a next GT will lack content. They will use the current content even in next full game. It's very high quality after all.

Sony has confirmed that the PS5 will launch in 2021 though

Speaking to The Wall Street Journal a day after noting that the company’s current console, the PS4, was reaching the end of its lifespan, Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO Tsuyoshi Kodera stated that it would be another three years before PlayStation made its next big move.

“We will use the next three years to prepare the next step, to crouch down so that we can jump higher in the future,” he said.

So next gran turismo by 2026, lol the bad part is that this isn't a joke

I'm more inclined to believe that the next GT will be a GT7/8 (title depending on where Kaz feels GTS fits into the series), and could come as a launch or near-launch game in the PS5. There's been talks of GTS's assets being able to run in 8k on special hardware. Kaz mentioned that he'd like better hardware for weather, higher frame rates, and expanded use of VR. We know the game was developed to run on 12-bit color and support up to 10k Nits of brightness (something rarely if at all currently available on the TV market). Since GT5 Kaz has been saying that models have been built "for the future" - which has been seemingly proven true, given that GTS's post-launch content has largely been returning PS3 assets, buy-and-large untouched, mesh-wise.

I think PD has gotten to a point where a majority of their assets and modeling processes can be used (or at minimum easily modified/upgraded) for use on pretty much any future hardware, and they can now see an attainable goal for a game on a new spec of hardware. All of what I mentioned above somewhat points to a mainline GT game that makes use of the stockpile of assets developed over the course GT5, 6, and Sport, with comprehensive visuals, environmental effects, physics, and VR being usable for most if not all modes.

The only thing we really can't predict is the "when's", both for the PS5's arrival, and how soon PD wants to put their focus on their next title. Right now PD seems to want to keep giving GTS ample support, which makes sense if they want Sport Mode to be future-proof across games. When we start seeing content die down and FIA championships become less frequent then I think we can actually start predicting when PD plan to drop their next game. Realistically I don't see GTS going quiet (support-wise) until at least 1.5-2 more years of FIA seasons, or until the PS5 is fully announced or unveiled. What's unusual now though is that PD may actually be in a unique position to actually make a full GT game a launch title, which I don't think has happened in the history of their work on the Gran Turismo series. But again, we really have no leads for release predictions.

I see little reason to re-release GT Sport on new hardware, especially if it creates a cross-platform nightmare. You can't use expanded grids, weather, dynamic time, or upgraded physics if the old hardware can't run it. With the online nature of GTS it would seem to be one of the most necessary games to be cross-platform if it were to jump to multiple devices, so that's why I specifically think there won't be a re-release of GTS on the next PlayStation.

Because they are capable to repeat the same mistake .... right?

Problem is they already did this twice.

Both the ps3 and ps4 didnt have Gran Turismo until way late into their working lives.

I dont doubt say 2024 for the next Gran Turismo IF they dont make a 2nd editon for the ps4.

I can fully expect them to do a GT6 and kill all support for GT Sport by say Xmas 2019... just so they can sell "GT Sport 2" on ps4.

"Futur proof" is a PR nonsense for me. Premium cars were supposed to be futur proof but PBR shaders couldn't be foreseen.

I think that GT7 development has started given all the hiring, new studio, outsourcing... The latest Pebble beach GT award car will be included in the "next" GT. It's 2018 and GT has to change so many things like collisions engine, AI, career mode... I'm optimist Poly has changed.

Please don't give them ideas.
GTSport is bad as it is, 11months after release and we aren't even gonna get the finished game for maybe another 18 months.
Also the biggest barrier still exists - The price of the console.

Free GTS with limited cars and track, maybe lock them out at RACE A. GTS need more playerbase

Race C with only 7 players is not fun at 2AM localtime

Won't it be worse with a free GTS that locks players out of race C? Why pay for access to longer races if you get your fill for free. Splitting the user base is always a problem with DLC and so far PD has kept it free for likely that reason.

Even though PD has made the engine future proof for next gens TV capabilities, it wouldn't surprise me if Kaz wants to start over again to make the cars even more detailed and we would have to wait until the ps5 pro before GTS 2 comes out.

Back