77th Le Mans 24 Hours

• Thread starter Clark
  • 839 comments
And after the win what did the FIA do, that's right they band rotary engine's :crazy:

edit: just realised it could have been the ACO not the FIA but anyway.....

It was the FIA.

Sure they are, despite the fact the only Japanese team to win at Le Mans is Mazda, They still far surpass Bentley's 6 victories, in terms of Le Mans stature. :dunce:

....making them the 5th most successful manufacturer in le Mans history. :odd:

In the same way Ralf Schumacher was the 3rd best F1 driver around at the time. :rolleyes:

The entire event is also available on Racing Underground in 11 nicely-sized chunks - and in a quality that still allows you to recognize the cars.

Thats great we'll be able to see McNish damage the front of his car on the first restart ;)

Let me make a quick note. Someone talked about Peugeot's victory over Audi in the sense of "they had it coming" and "you learned your lesson." I absolutely disagree. Audi didn't brag, they didn't guarantee a win, they didn't make fun of Peugeot... they raced with class and didn't take the top step of the podium. Peugeot was just better than Audi on this race weekend. People who still don't think motorsports is a real sport are truly kidding themselves. It's a total team effort to win races, and it isn't like Audi were absolutely cocky they'd win. Let's not try and instill some American toughness or brash stuff into this like Audi were expected to run all over Peugeot. Peugeot was just better than Audi on this day.

I've knocked the 908 HDi FAP in past Le Mans, but it seemed like Peugeot did everything possible to win over their German rivals, and it worked. Tremendous effort by Peugeot, but I'm sure Audi will try to rework everything to where they will try to surpass Peugeot next season. Peugeot has to do a tough thing- improve on a past concept and win. Don't fix what isn't broken. Audi will be wanting revenge in next year's Le Mans.

By the way, one last note. I'm on (another message board), and as Jack Brabham was born in Australia, but had his other sons in England... I guess the Brabhams are what you'd call British-born Australians. So this other message board still celebrates the Brabhams as Aussies. I won't start a debate, but that's as far as I'll go on this.

Let me make a quick note. Someone talked about Peugeot's victory over Audi in the sense of "they had it coming" and "you learned your lesson." I absolutely disagree. Audi didn't brag, they didn't guarantee a win, they didn't make fun of Peugeot... they raced with class and didn't take the top step of the podium.

But you do have to agree that Audi did way too little testing into the new chassis to really see what kind of speed they could expect in Le Mans. It isn't their fault though, the economical crisis didn't only make Audi worry... But if Audi had tested the R15 in more races then only Sebring, I really believe the R15 could at least give the Peugeot a go for its money.

Let me make a quick note. Someone talked about Peugeot's victory over Audi in the sense of "they had it coming" and "you learned your lesson." I absolutely disagree. Audi didn't brag, they didn't guarantee a win, they didn't make fun of Peugeot... they raced with class and didn't take the top step of the podium. Peugeot was just better than Audi on this race weekend. People who still don't think motorsports is a real sport are truly kidding themselves. It's a total team effort to win races, and it isn't like Audi were absolutely cocky they'd win. Let's not try and instill some American toughness or brash stuff into this like Audi were expected to run all over Peugeot. Peugeot was just better than Audi on this day.

I concur. I knew that it would be tough job for Audi, as soon as they announced that they would only do Sebring in the ALMS. Audi was running an untested platform while Peugeot had the time to sort out their cars and strategy.

Congrats to Peugeot on their win. I would have preferred for Audi to win since I truly believe they were the underdogs this year. With the GT2 class I was hoping for a Porsche win.

It's also sad for me to see the GT1 class go. It was my favorite class from the beginning with the great battles that included Ferrari and Aston Martin.

People seem to be assuming things too much. So I want to clear things up.

1. It will NOT be a single GT class next year, factory teams are going to be allowed to enter the new 2010 Spec FIA GT1 cars at next years event.

2.If the GT2 cars basically become GT3 cars, do not assume they'll be slower. Due to the rapid development in the last year or so in GT3 the cars are the same if not faster than GT2. At the opening round of the FIA GT this year the top six GT3 qualifiers where faster than the GT2 pole time.

Even if the GT2 cars arew quicker overall GT3 cars actually have more power than GT2 cars as they have weight equalisation aswell. For Example the GT2 4.7 V8 Vantage has around 480-500bhp, whereas the GT3 DBRS9 has 550bhp from a bigger (and torquier) 6 litre V12.

3. GTP Le Mans 24 Hours Fan Club!

And after the win what did the FIA do, that's right they band rotary engine's :crazy:

edit: just realised it could have been the ACO not the FIA but anyway.....

No they didn´t. Rotarys are still allowed at Le Mans. Nobody runs them though, since they´re not fuelefficient enough.

IIRC, Kudzu ran a rotary as late as 1997.

About 2003, and the Bentley win; Audi didn´t field a factory car that year, to give the Bentley Boys a shot at their desired win.

And as for this year; Peugeot won fair and square, and they deserved it. They were the better team this year! One can argue that Audi didn´t test the R15 enough, but I think Peugeot would´ve been the quicker car anyway.

Why do alot of people keep thinking this? The Rotary engines were not banned, no one used them anymore because they were not fuel efficient.

They weren't exactly banned, but for the 1992 race the rules stated every car in the top C1 category had to have a 3.5l V10. Try running a rotary under those rules...

Last edited:
About 2003, and the Bentley win; Audi didn´t field a factory car that year, to give the Bentley Boys a shot at their desired win.
Should probably note that while Team Joest did not any cars, they were there to back Bentley.

They weren't exactly banned, but for the 1992 race the rules stated every car in the top C1 category had to have a 3.5l V10. Try running a rotary under those rules...
Exactly. But the rules changed again, and Mazda started supplying rotarys to whomever wanted to use them. There was at least one rotary engined entrant every Le Mans from ´94 to ´97.
Reventón;3434125
Should probably note that while Team Joest did not any cars, they were there to back Bentley.
Yeah, that too! I don´t exactly want to take anything away from Bentley, the cars are among my personal favourites, but I can´t help thinking that their win is a little hollow.

Peugeot should field a disguised 908 under the Matra name next year! (I don't actually know who owns the Matra name though).

Okay... Le Mans 2010 (let's look ahead for a moment). Pretend the Audi R15 TDI got more testing and proven to be an even more solid car than in this year's race. And let's say Peugeot develops their car a little more to be even more unbeatable. Who takes next year's Le Mans- Audi or Peugeot?

Okay... Le Mans 2010 (let's look ahead for a moment). Pretend the Audi R15 TDI got more testing and proven to be an even more solid car than in this year's race. And let's say Peugeot develops their car a little more to be even more unbeatable. Who takes next year's Le Mans- Audi or Peugeot?
Got any potential LMP1 wild cards to insert into the deck?

As for the race dates, would it be safe to assume the 78th 24 Hours of Le Mans will be on June 12th - 13th? :idea:And if so, you think someone can make up a web widget of a timer resembling the one at the tracks start/finish line with the countdown until the start of the race?:D

Looks like Sebastian Bourdais was responsible for almost all of the #8 car's woes

After looking over the race again they had to replace the transmission assembly in the left rear because he got the left side off somewhere rough on the track. That cost the #8 15 minutes. Then he hit a GT2 car in the night, which caused the team to have to change the nose. That cost them about another 3 minutes.

But it was cool watching him do donuts in the 908 at the end of the race

The rotaries and the 7X7 series of cars were never competitive until Le Mans1991.

In '91 the FIA expected teams to switch to 3.5l cars, but so few were entered into Le Mans the old Group C cars were allowed to run, including factory cars from Jaguar, Mercedes and Mazda.

While the Jaguar's, Mercedes and Porsche's ran at an increased 1000kg, as opposed to 900kg, with tight fuel restrictions, Mazda negotiated with the FIA for a weight reduction and generous fuel supply.

Opposition teams didn't object as they didn't consider Mazda a serious rival, this gave them the opportunity to win.

The whole 3.5l mess was one of the reason's the ACO took back control of the Le Man's protoype regulation's and removed the race from the FIA World Sportscar Championship.

The ACO have gone one step further by organising the Le Man's Series and Asian Le Man's Series themselves to ensure protoype racing is strong.

The ACO leave the GT regulation's to the FIA, but still have the final say on said regulation's in their own event's, and can change them as suit's.

Last edited:
People seem to be assuming things too much. So I want to clear things up.

1. It will NOT be a single GT class next year, factory teams are going to be allowed to enter the new 2010 Spec FIA GT1 cars at next years event.

2.If the GT2 cars basically become GT3 cars, do not assume they'll be slower. Due to the rapid development in the last year or so in GT3 the cars are the same if not faster than GT2. At the opening round of the FIA GT this year the top six GT3 qualifiers where faster than the GT2 pole time.

Even if the GT2 cars arew quicker overall GT3 cars actually have more power than GT2 cars as they have weight equalisation aswell. For Example the GT2 4.7 V8 Vantage has around 480-500bhp, whereas the GT3 DBRS9 has 550bhp from a bigger (and torquier) 6 litre V12.

3. GTP Le Mans 24 Hours Fan Club!
The ACO announced at their Thursday press conference GT1 cars will only run if there is a quality entry with at least one factory team.

As it stand's new FIA GT1 car's are thin on the ground.

Last edited:
Looks like Sebastian Bourdais was responsible for almost all of the #8 car's woes

After looking over the race again they had to replace the transmission assembly in the left rear because he got the left side off somewhere rough on the track. That cost the #8 15 minutes. Then he hit a GT2 car in the night, which caused the team to have to change the nose. That cost them about another 3 minutes.

But it was cool watching him do donuts in the 908 at the end of the race

Did you see him on the podium? - i've never seen anyone look so down in the mouth before. It was the look of someone whose once burgeoning career had suddenly gone sour.

I can't remember anyone on the podium in 2nd place at Le Mans looking happy about it if they are Pro drivers.

Did you see him on the podium? - i've never seen anyone look so down in the mouth before. It was the look of someone whose once burgeoning career had suddenly gone sour.

It looked like he was weighing up jumping off the podium gantry.

The ACO announced at their Thursday press conference GT1 cars will only run if there is a quality entry with at least one factory team.

As it stand's new FIA GT1 car's are thin on the ground.

I know, the ACO's decision is completely nonsensical as factory teams aren't allowed in the FIA GT.

I'll stick my neck out a say there'll be a Factory entered Ferrari in GT1, I think there's a lot more behind Montezemalo being there than just waving the start flag.

I know, the ACO's decision is completely nonsensical as factory teams aren't allowed in the FIA GT.

No, but all the Le Mans series around will still have that opportunity. If a manufacturer wants to build and race a GT1 car built to the new regs, they will most certainly be welcome to do so.

I´m pretty sure BMW will be interested in that, since the 2010 GT1´s costs about as much as a current GT2 car to build and run. Audi may also be interested, I´m sure.

I kind of feel bad for him. Right now it looks like F1 isn't for him. He's far better off going into sports cars, the IRL, or even NASCAR. He did well (actually won!) in one of the three IROC stock car races he competed in, so I think he should be able to adapt.

Remember the Benoit Treluyer crash at Le Mans this year? We said that there was no footage of it during the crash. Well, I've found some...

I do admit you have to squint your eyes a bit, but it is visible the 908 flying through the air and tumbling a few times.

Back