850 cars? What a joke.

Australia
Australia
Nauraushaun
This game does NOT have 850 cars. Technically, yes, but PD has done a more extreme version of what they've always done. We all know they have 5 versions of each Skyline and all of that, but this is taking it too far.
Screenshot1
Screenshot2
See those two blue Lexus SC 430s in the top shot? And the 3 silver Hyundai coupes in the second? They're identical! They're from different continents, one of the SC 430s is US, one is EUR, and the Hyundais are from US, EUR and Japan. But they have the same power and torque at the same revs, the same engine capacities and dimensions...
Until now, as far as I know the Skylines and all that have actually been different versions with improvements and all that. These cars are literally identical. They were probably sold with different specifications, speakers and trim and all that, but that's all. It's a bit ridiculous. And it gets worse. You can buy two versions of the Ford GT, one with stripe, one without. They're identical. That's a paint job option! One of the biggest rip-offs is Acura. Both Honda and Acura have many different versions of the same NSX, and the S2000 as well. Being called an Acura doesn't make it a different car! An odd quirk is that the Acura NSXs are different. They have more power, and I think they have a black roof where the Honda cars don't. These differences don't exist in real life. Another of the worst offenders is Renault Sport. The company has 6 vehicles...except that 3 of them are Clio variants (Clio, Clio V6 and Clio Cup), and the other three are identical, except they're Japanese and they're called Luctecias.
This is atrocious. Until now the cars have been different, this really is just PD trying to raise the number of cars in the game. As if the game doesn't rip you off in a hundred other ways as well :\

What, a coupe of horsepower difference in one out of three? I don't even think those differences exist in real life, like with the NSX.

A few cars are spammed a lot in this game. Namely the RX-7, GTR and S2000. Having said that, this game still has at least 500 unique car models. Also, part of the point of GT is so that car enthusiasts would be able to find the car that exactly matches their own car. If you owned a '99 GTR, getting a '01 GTR that looks and runs almost the same isn't as good as getting the '99 one.

If you're a car enthusiast who has a car that can be seen as sporty, chances are it'll be in GT, that's the point. But if you buy crappy FF commuter cars, then no luck,

I won't lie that feel a bit ripped off when I found out about this (I found that there are two identical Datsun 240Zs, one badged as Nissan and the other as Fairlady), but you get what you get. And as a whole, there are still a lot of unique car models. More than you can drive until you get bored with the game. Call me an over-optimist, but I survived SIX years playing GT1 with only 178 cars and 11 tracks. GTPSP is massive compared to that.

Maybe PD is taking it a bit too far this time, but I can understand their motive for doing so. Let's just hope the same thing won't be happening with GT5 👍.

This game does NOT have 850 cars.
It has 830.
Technically, yes,
Technically is good enough for me.

And anyway, as has already been pointed out, you still have a huuuuge number of unique models.

but PD has done a more extreme version of what they've always done. We all know they have 5 versions of each Skyline and all of that, but this is taking it too far.
This is an entirely different situation. In previous GTs and to take the Hyundai as an example, each region would get the car specific to their region (We in the UK would have got the Tiburon, but not the Tuscani). As GT PSP is not regionalised, then all versions are included so you can drive the car with its correct name from your region.

Your Skyline example is flawed as each of your 5 Skylines has a slightly different model/year/spec.

The Clio example is flawed as well, the 2.0, V6 and Cup cars are very, very different.

I've driven the first two many times and passenger-ed in the last on two occasions.

The V6 shares only part of the interior, three body panels and the basic chassis (but with differing mounting points) with the standard Clio range, the rest is totally unique. The cup car is totally stripped down, with a totally differing engine tune, full cage and a sequential gearbox fitted.

These three could not be more different if you tried.

Yes the basic point the OP is making is correct, its however its not that different in a lot of other games. Forza has different livery cars as separate models and FC counted every different lively of the F430 Challenge as a separate car.

This is nothing new and I don't see it as a 'rip-off' myself.

Regards

Scaff

Famine
And it's not made easier by the fact that PD have decided to include every version of every car from GT4 - where there's an MX-5, there's also a Miata and a Eunos Roadster - whereas before they were localised. I suppose it's a side effect of worldwide play really but, honestly, THREE versions of the same Hyundai Coupe?

It's just a unified version of all the localised GT4 car lists (I produced a file showing all of the cars from all regions which can be found in the GT4 forum) with some extra cherries on top. So it's pretty much 725 unique cars with 100 more that are just what some of them were called in different regions (MX-5/Miata/Roadster, Clio/Lutecia, Lexus/Toyota, Nissan/Infiniti, Toyota/Scion, Tiburon/Tuscani/Coupe).

Doesn't really flicker on my bothered scale.

Well if its a joke, it isn't a funny one. PD did say that there would be 830 cars not 850, and anyways, they didn't say if they were Unique or they were 830 vehicles including variations. I guess it just leads to more nit picking when we all knew that PD was going to do this anyways. They have been doing this for 2 GT games already, namely GT2 and GT4. The amazing thing though is that they are upstaging other racing/driving sim games on the PSP to show them that there should be more cars in their games and they should include a more vast variety. For example, My favorite of all the cars in the GT series is the Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo 1996, No other racing games have this car, but they do have a newer model of it For example, Toca 2. Its not the model I like. So its great that GT had the variation of the GTO that I liked. Same goes for some of you in this forum. I have seen people liking the Vspec R34's and the Mspec NUR R34's yet again people complain about how they don't like the vast variation of skylines. If anything, here in the US its a dream car because we cannot legally obtain it because before the R35's they didn't meet US Emission standards. Well at least PD gave us the chance to drive them in their game. And there are those who like the Evo's. How many variations of the Evo's are there in the game? So far I've seen about 5 variations of it in the game. So stop complaining about the variations.

If I recall correctly, Kas was asked at E3 if regional variations of cars would make it into GT5. He said no because it would be too much work. So now that GT:PSP has regional variations, that's a bad thing?

One thing too many people are missing is this is a universal car list for all versions of the game. Meaning all versions of the same car in different territories are present.

The Opel Vectra is visually different than the Vauxhall one. I do not feel ripped off, keeping an open mind as to why there are so many repeat cars and realizing there are still many many other cars in the game over shadows that fact.

I don't think its a big deal.

Great points you make jagenigma.

I won't lie that feel a bit ripped off when I found out about this (I found that there are two identical Datsun 240Zs, one badged as Nissan and the other as Fairlady), but you get what you get. And as a whole, there are still a lot of unique car models. More than you can drive until you get bored with the game. Call me an over-optimist, but I survived SIX years playing GT1 with only 178 cars and 11 tracks. GTPSP is massive compared to that.

Maybe PD is taking it a bit too far this time, but I can understand their motive for doing so. Let's just hope the same thing won't be happening with GT5 👍.

There are 2 different Zs. One is a 240Z, the other is a 280Z. Two different cars...

There are 2 different Zs. One is a 240Z, the other is a 280Z. Two different cars...

There are 3, and he is correct.

Nissan 240ZG '71
Nissan Fairlady 240ZG '71
Nissan Fairlady Z 280Z-L 2seater '78

I really don't care how many cars, there isn't in the game because of color or anything else! My favorite color for S2000 LM is orange and black, but i will be collecting the other colors also! Doesn't bother me that they are counted as different cars!

It has 830.
This is an entirely different situation. In previous GTs and to take the Hyundai as an example, each region would get the car specific to their region (We in the UK would have got the Tiburon, but not the Tuscani). As GT PSP is not regionalised, then all versions are included so you can drive the car with its correct name from your region.

Your Skyline example is flawed as each of your 5 Skylines has a slightly different model/year/spec.
This says there's 850, 830 of which are on the list.
My Skyline example was an example of what I'll accept. You're right, they are different, I'm okay with that. Sure, the PSP version isn't regionalized, but it's not that important to feature the car of every name in the game, if the actual vehicles are identical.
The Clio example is flawed as well, the 2.0, V6 and Cup cars are very, very different.
No, the example isn't flawed, you misread what I said. I said there are three variants, and another three cars identical to them. And here's the proof. See how each car has an identical clone? Except for the Phase1 V6, which is 20 credits more.
Oh, I was flawed, there's actually 4 Clio variants with 4 identical cars, I said 3.
You're right though, the Clio variants are about as different as you can possibly get while keeping the same name. One is a Front-drive, front engined 5-door hatch, another is a rear-drive rear engined 3-door :P

If I recall correctly, Kas was asked at E3 if regional variations of cars would make it into GT5. He said no because it would be too much work. So now that GT:PSP has regional variations, that's a bad thing?
But they aren't regional variations. They're copies of cars with the name changed. And this is definitely not what Kazunori was talking about, because this wouldn't take much work. It would take all of 3 seconds.
The Opel Vectra is visually different than the Vauxhall one. I do not feel ripped off, keeping an open mind as to why there are so many repeat cars and realizing there are still many many other cars in the game over shadows that fact.
Well that's one thing, when the cars are actually different, but in most cases in what I'm talking about they're not. The Clio's clones are identical, with even the same paint schemes, and the NSXs actually seem to have made up differences, while the real-life region variants were actually identical.
Also, part of the point of GT is so that car enthusiasts would be able to find the car that exactly matches their own car. If you owned a '99 GTR, getting a '01 GTR that looks and runs almost the same isn't as good as getting the '99 one.
You're a bit mistaken there. For one thing, I'm not complaining about year changes. The game has many models of different years (for example, '97, '99 and '01 NSX), put in because the models have differences. If I had a '99 NSX Type S I'd like to drive one in game as well. And I was thrilled to be able to find the exact model of Prelude that I plan on buying, as the game has both 4th and 5th gen models, SiR and VTECs.
What it doesn't have is cars that "look and run the same", of different years. And it shouldn't have. Cars don't get updates every year.
My problem is that it has cars that look and run the same, and aren't different years, but were simply sold in different countries.

No one can deny that the two Ford GTs, one with stripe one without, is pure rip-off. :P

Funny thing that the OP can't see a flaw in my previous response. Goes to show you when you have the facts, Nit Pickers can't say anything!!!

Well you said the game has 830, while my link up there suggests 850, but I nit-picked that in someone else's post instead. :P
I should've done more nit-picking for you though. You missed my point! I don't mind the Evo variations, as each one is a new development of the car over it's lifespan, and there's least 15. Same with the Skylines, they're different. What I don't like is the striped and un-striped Ford GT being sold as separate vehicles, and things like the Clio and Lutecia being separate, despite the fact that they're the same car with a different name.

You were right when you said more games should do this. It's really not hard to double a car a few times with slightly different figures, when it's necessary, and it will please more people. But some of it is just outrageous.

Um.. get over it? That is really is nit-picking as its not a big deal at all. The Clio has a different name in other regions, the car list is universal for all regions. That is why you see the same car with different names. The Ford GT is the only example in the entire game like that I've seen, one car out of 830. You are over reacting in my opinion. The there's no reason not to count these cars. Other have different hand drives. Oh yeah you didn't really make a point. You have to think beyond your personal feelings.

Famine
I suppose it's a side effect of worldwide play really

It's just a unified version of all the localised GT4 car lists.

So, whereas before:

PAL: Hyundai Coupe FX '01 only.
NTSC-UC: Hyundai Tiburon '01 only.
NTSC-J: Hyundai Tuscani '01 only.

Now all regions have all cars. And there's 830 of them in the dealerships.

Last edited:
Well you said the game has 830, while my link up there suggests 850, but I nit-picked that in someone else's post instead. :P
I should've done more nit-picking for you though. You missed my point! I don't mind the Evo variations, as each one is a new development of the car over it's lifespan, and there's least 15. Same with the Skylines, they're different. What I don't like is the striped and un-striped Ford GT being sold as separate vehicles, and things like the Clio and Lutecia being separate, despite the fact that they're the same car with a different name.

You were right when you said more games should do this. It's really not hard to double a car a few times with slightly different figures, when it's necessary, and it will please more people. But some of it is just outrageous.

Listen, The Ford GT's are from Different years. I don't know why PD didn't make that clearer, The Yellow GT with the Black stripe is the GT concept from 2002 and the silver GT is the commercially available GT from 2005. You are making an invalid point about the Evo's and Skylines beacause you are counting both Ford GT's from two different years as the same, but you are validating the EVO's and Skylines as different cars because they are from different years. You are going against your own word. Cars are known differently for every region they are in. For example, Infiniti has the G35, and Nissan has the Fairlady 350Z, they both look the same but they are completely different cars from two different companes sold with different engines and different options so they are known as DIFFERENT CARS!!!
Same thing with the Toyota Alzetta and the Lexus IS200. And yes you were complaining about the Variations. Your OP was full of complaints about the car variations. So get over it, the game is great, the cars are great, enjoy it.

Last edited:
^ That's because the car list didn't really get updated from GT4. It's pretty much the GT4 list, with Lambo, Ferrari and Bugatti. It's a bit sad considering how long after GT4 the game came out, and how close to GT5 it was. The we see screenshots of the Merc SLS and the new Toyota Supra thing in GT5, and you start to realize that he didn't put as much effort into this as he might have otherwise.
So, whereas before:

PAL: Hyundai Coupe FX '01 only.
NTSC-UC: Hyundai Tiburon '01 only.
NTSC-J: Hyundai Tuscani '01 only.

Now all regions have all cars. And there's 830 of them in the dealerships.
I firmly believe that we didn't need identical cars with different names, just for this reason. Having a little thing that says what the different regional names were in the description should be enough. Especially considering what a big selling point the number of cars alone is with GT. Having it set as more than GT4 makes a point about the game, that it's supposed to be a GT4 beater.

Listen, The Ford GT's are from Different years. I don't know why PD didn't make that clearer, The Yellow GT with the Black stripe is the GT concept from 2002 and the silver GT is the commercially available GT from 2005.
Aha, but what you don't realize is that I'm right. There's the concept, and there are two production versions, one with stripe and one without.
Here's the no-stripe. Note the name.
This is my Ford GT with stripe. Note the different name, but same year and specs.
Also, the car list specifies that there's an '02 concept, as well as the two '05 models.
You are making an invalid point about the Evo's and Skylines beacause you are counting both Ford GT's from two different years as the same, but you are validating the EVO's and Skylines as different cars because they are from different years. You are going against your own word.
Well, now you know that I'm not, because the GTs aren't from different years. I know very well that concepts can vary very much from their production counterparts. One example is the Jag XJ220, that was released as a V12 concept, but ended up with a twin-turbo 6.
Cars are known differently for every region they are in. For example, Infiniti has the G35, and Nissan has the Fairlady 350Z, they both look the same but they are completely different cars from two different companes sold with different engines and different options so they are known as DIFFERENT CARS!!!
Same thing with the Toyota Alzetta and the Lexus IS200. And yes you were complaining about the Variations. Your OP was full of complaints about the car variations. So get over it, the game is great, the cars are great, enjoy it.
Like I said, I don't have a problem if they have different engines. But they often don't. That's why the examples I've given don't have different engines, they have the same engine with the same capacity and same power. Are you trying to tell me the Clios and Lutecias have different engines? If so, stop it, you're wrong. Example: the NSX's engine jumped up .1 or .2 of a litre a couple of times over the years, I don't mind if they're all in the game. My problem is when they have a different name, but the same specs, price, dimensions, cylinders, doors, rims, paint options, and the only actual differences would be things like what the seats are made out of, which doesn't affect the player at all. The in-game cars don't have seats.
And no my post wasn't full of complaining about variations. I was complaining about non-variations: same car, same specs, different name.

For example, Infiniti has the G35, and Nissan has the Fairlady 350Z, they both look the same but they are completely different cars from two different companes sold with different engines and different options so they are known as DIFFERENT CARS!!!
Wrong example. The 350Z and G35 ARE different cars. A G35 is not simply a rebadged 350Z (it's more like a sister model, like the VW Golf/Audi A3/Seat Leon). A Vauxhall Corsa however, is nothing more than a rebadged Opel Corsa (or vice versa if you prefer). Same applies to the Hyundai Coupe/Tiburon.

Still, I don't mind if both are in and they are advertised as seperate cars. Actually, they should be slightly different, because manufacturers apply differences in suspension and trim levels between countries/continents. As a matter of fact, even identical models usually have different suspension settings in EU/US regions (e.g. if I import a BMW 135i from the US it will have softer suspension compared to the same car in the EU).

I doubt PD made them different though (but I didn't check). ;)

The great thing is, GT5 will be regionalised. It might not be confirmed, but often the different names are down to rights holders of the different names in different locations, like how the Mitsubishi GTO is infact the 3000GT, and in Europe, the Dodge Viper is not a Dodge Viper, it does not hold the rights to the name in the region.

So GT5 has to be region specific more or less, so if you are disappointed with the duplicate cars in PSP, you may get a surprise when GT5 comes out.

3 tibbron's? and no genesis anything equals fail in my book. I sure hope PD does not think the tibburon is the sportiest hyundai vehicle...

Back