850 cars? What a joke.

3 tibbron's? and no genesis anything equals fail in my book. I sure hope PD does not think the tibburon is the sportiest hyundai vehicle...
I was also disappointed when I saw the brand new genesis coupe isn't in the game, I love that car, I went to test drive one with my boyfriend and it was epic!

I did notice however that GTPSP did exclude a lot of the really new cars, they threw in basically 1-2 models of each new manufacturer like ferrari and Lamborigini. Maybe it's just a taster of what's to come and everything will be in GT5, at least I hope that's the case... I'm really looking forward to stripping out the genesis and taking it to a track, that car is just a very handsome machine.

I firmly believe that we didn't need identical cars with different names, just for this reason. Having a little thing that says what the different regional names were in the description should be enough.

I know that the Hyundai Coupe is known as the Tiburon in the US and the Tuscani in east Asia. You know it too. Does the casual game player know?

At the other end of the spectrum, does the hardcore Hyundai Coupe fan (they exist) know? I'm pretty sure that they do and they'd care. I know if my car appeared in the game as an AutoZam AZ-3, a Eunos 30X or a Eunos Presso I'd be quite glad it was in the game but heavily tempered by being annoyed that it's not quite my car - an MX-3. Sure it's the same car, but it's not the same car.

Ultimately the car list is a unified one from all regions of GT4. This means that, for once, everyone has the same car list, no matter which version of the game they buy. I don't see this as a bad thing.

Especially considering what a big selling point the number of cars alone is with GT. Having it set as more than GT4 makes a point about the game, that it's supposed to be a GT4 beater.

It does have more than GT4. It has all of the cars from any version of GT4 plus a handful of new cars (I count 11 new ones).

Oddly, I noticed the Esso Ultraflow Supra is missing...

Like I said, I don't have a problem if they have different engines. But they often don't. That's why the examples I've given don't have different engines, they have the same engine with the same capacity and same power. Are you trying to tell me the Clios and Lutecias have different engines? If so, stop it, you're wrong.

I haven't yet checked the actual stats, but the dealership stats peg one of the Lutecias 4hp higher than its Clio stablemate, and another 3hp lower.

At the other end of the spectrum, does the hardcore Hyundai Coupe fan (they exist) know?

An old high school girlfriend of mine was a huge Hyundai Coupe S (must have the S) fan, I didn't even try to understand or reason.

Well you said the game has 830, while my link up there suggests 850, but I nit-picked that in someone else's post instead. :P
I should've done more nit-picking for you though. You missed my point! I don't mind the Evo variations, as each one is a new development of the car over it's lifespan, and there's least 15. Same with the Skylines, they're different. What I don't like is the striped and un-striped Ford GT being sold as separate vehicles, and things like the Clio and Lutecia being separate, despite the fact that they're the same car with a different name.

You were right when you said more games should do this. It's really not hard to double a car a few times with slightly different figures, when it's necessary, and it will please more people. But some of it is just outrageous.

Oh My Gosh...........the pair of socks that i am wearing are exactly the same as the socks i have in my sock draw:nervous:

There are too many things in the world that are either completely alike or not. Nothing is perfect.:indiff:

This game does NOT have 850 cars. Technically, yes, but PD has done a more extreme version of what they've always done. We all know they have 5 versions of each Skyline and all of that, but this is taking it too far.
Screenshot1
Screenshot2
See those two blue Lexus SC 430s in the top shot? And the 3 silver Hyundai coupes in the second? They're identical! They're from different continents, one of the SC 430s is US, one is EUR, and the Hyundais are from US, EUR and Japan. But they have the same power and torque at the same revs, the same engine capacities and dimensions...
Until now, as far as I know the Skylines and all that have actually been different versions with improvements and all that. These cars are literally identical. They were probably sold with different specifications, speakers and trim and all that, but that's all. It's a bit ridiculous. And it gets worse. You can buy two versions of the Ford GT, one with stripe, one without. They're identical. That's a paint job option! One of the biggest rip-offs is Acura. Both Honda and Acura have many different versions of the same NSX, and the S2000 as well. Being called an Acura doesn't make it a different car! An odd quirk is that the Acura NSXs are different. They have more power, and I think they have a black roof where the Honda cars don't. These differences don't exist in real life. Another of the worst offenders is Renault Sport. The company has 6 vehicles...except that 3 of them are Clio variants (Clio, Clio V6 and Clio Cup), and the other three are identical, except they're Japanese and they're called Luctecias.
This is atrocious. Until now the cars have been different, this really is just PD trying to raise the number of cars in the game. As if the game doesn't rip you off in a hundred other ways as well :\
Did you buy the game or not?

If so, why? There is enough info. on this game for you to know all this anyway.
If not, why are bothering to post? It does not affect you.

Either way, your whining seems to be falling on deaf ears.

What is lame is not that only there lots of repeated car, is that we though this would be GT4 (740 cars) + 60 new cars atleast, but turn out to be GT4 + repeated cars + ONLY 15 new cars.

Thats the joke here, only 15 new cars, this car list is extremely dissapointing, they have some of the most important licenses now like Ferrari, Lamborghini and Bugatti, what they do? just add 5 cars between the all brands. They also didnt add many great cars of this last years.

GT PSP is a barebone quick port for sony to have something to release with PSP GO.

I was hoping to get ATLEAST the Ferraris in GT5p.

Also i already finished the excellent driving challenges, after that the game feels soooooooo boring, the "main" mode is a bad joke, it doesnt give you much money, its repetitive to no end and basically theres no sense of achivement, also you can upgrades your cars.

GT 2 on my psp was way more fun that this. This game by far is the worst GT i have played and its a shame because the driving feels very good and the AI is better than GT4.
With a decent career mode, upgrades and tue new 60 cars (and well choosed) this game could have been excellent.

Last edited:

YOU might have. WE didn't think anything.

this car list is extremely dissapointing

To you. I'm loving it.

Also i already finished the excellent driving challenges, after that the game feels soooooooo boring, the "main" mode is a bad joke, it doesnt give you much money, its repetitive to no end and basically theres no sense of achivement, also you can upgrades your cars.

GT 2 on my psp was way more fun that this. This game by far is the worst GT i have played and its a shame because the driving feels very good and the AI is better than GT4.
With a decent career mode, upgrades and tue new 60 cars (and well choosed) this game could have been excellent.

See, I think this is the best GT I have played. It's just you and the cars and tracks. No frippery, no finery, no distractions.

There's downs - the driving line is always wrong, only 4 cars on track (though that's twice as many as you got in GT4 on the rally tracks), you can't turn Jay FINISH Leno off and there's still a lack of weight in collisions (as I push a Dodge Ram aside with a Megane). But it's GT4! On a PSP!

+1.

Guys still complaining about the GT4 car list. This is not a NEW GT game or a reinvention of the series. Its GT in the most Basic form with hidden challenges like beat every track on "S" and getting all gold in the challenges. Getting 'S" on all tracks would take a long time and many many races. Best thing is you can use the same car to do it in. I was slightly disappointed with the lack of new cars but I got over it fast.

The_Paladin you went in not liking it and your close minded views have gotten the best of you. You are right, it is the worse GT game.... But all of them were great games and this is a good GT experience on a handheld. Best racer on PSP. I have not played any psp game as much as this beside Pinball Williams collection...

This is what I was afraid of. We'll most likely see this in GT5 as well, and that's a damn shame. Screw 'em... 👎

See, I think this is the best GT I have played. It's just you and the cars and tracks. No frippery, no finery, no distractions.
I won't go so far as to ay it is the best GT, but this allows me to do what I wound up doing with GT4: Me, car, track. No frippery, finery, or distractions, as you say.

I am curious about how people are upset about the older cars being included. I mean, I am sure GT4 had many of the same cars as GT3 or GT2. And yes, GT5 will likely have many (if not all) of these same cars (likely localized though, reducing that 850 number to something like 800 or less) plus many more new models and newer cars. Yeah, the GTI I bought was an '06, but would I have noticed if it were an '09 instead (keep in mind the US doesn't have MkVI yet)?

That said, I get why people are upset that there aren't more newer cars in the game, but GT5 ads alone have showed us to expect a whole bunch of cars that have never been seen in any GT game yet.

And perhaps that is the point? Maybe PD doesn't want people getting GT5 and saying, "950+ cars? What a joke," because we saw them all in GT for the PSP.

I think at the end of the day GT5 is going to be what they didn't manage to do with GT2 when moving onto the PS2. GT3 had a lot of current newer cars over GT2's content but didn't carry over too much of that content. GT5 will do the same but retain most (if not all) of GT4's content.

As has been said for GTPSP, it started development about when GT4 came out, so the car list and track list was carried over. Tourist Trophy I would imagine was developed about the same time, hence why we got Valencia. And I would think Cathedral Rocks III was intended to be in GT4 but never made it.

I think its great that we got all the regional versions of the different cars. The more, the merrier I say.

To those still complaining about this game's so-called short comings, get over it. There's piss all you can do about it, so play the game and enjoy it for what it is or give it up and miss out.

I, like Famine, have found this game to be very enjoyable and highly addictive. Its perfect for playing in small bit here and there, and it makes you want to play it every opportunity aswell. I say job well done Polyphony.

This is what I was afraid of. We'll most likely see this in GT5 as well, and that's a damn shame. Screw 'em... 👎
Ummm... there are 5 new ferraris in GT5P, there'll be a bunch of nascars, rally cars, lamboriginis etc.

I swear, the people on this board are stuck in a permanent state of overacting to minute things.

"OH NOEZ, GTPSP WHICh IS BASICALLY A GT4 PORT DOESN\T HAVE EVERY NEW CAR THAT'S COME OUT GT5 IS GONNA SUCKKKKKKKKKKK"

As has been said for GTPSP, it started development about when GT4 came out, so the car list and track list was carried over.

Not true, the PSP version started before the PSP was announced in early 04, then the direction shifted at some point. The content was done at the same time as GT4's. Years ago PD sad they had higher detailed models already done for future GT titles. This includes the smaller PSP models. They did a great job with the psp car models.

The tracks are not the same either. High Speed Ring has a nasty grass trap in one of the turns if you try to ride the rails. And a Barrier before the last turn.

How many cars did you expect exactly? This game probably has more content than any PSP game that has/ever will be released. There are more than enough cars to keep me busy until GT5 comes out.

^ That's because the car list didn't really get updated from GT4. It's pretty much the GT4 list, with Lambo, Ferrari and Bugatti. It's a bit sad considering how long after GT4 the game came out, and how close to GT5 it was. The we see screenshots of the Merc SLS and the new Toyota Supra thing in GT5, and you start to realize that he didn't put as much effort into this as he might have otherwise.

I firmly believe that we didn't need identical cars with different names, just for this reason. Having a little thing that says what the different regional names were in the description should be enough. Especially considering what a big selling point the number of cars alone is with GT. Having it set as more than GT4 makes a point about the game, that it's supposed to be a GT4 beater.

Aha, but what you don't realize is that I'm right. There's the concept, and there are two production versions, one with stripe and one without.
Here's the no-stripe. Note the name.
This is my Ford GT with stripe. Note the different name, but same year and specs.
Also, the car list specifies that there's an '02 concept, as well as the two '05 models.

Well, now you know that I'm not, because the GTs aren't from different years. I know very well that concepts can vary very much from their production counterparts. One example is the Jag XJ220, that was released as a V12 concept, but ended up with a twin-turbo 6.

Like I said, I don't have a problem if they have different engines. But they often don't. That's why the examples I've given don't have different engines, they have the same engine with the same capacity and same power. Are you trying to tell me the Clios and Lutecias have different engines? If so, stop it, you're wrong. Example: the NSX's engine jumped up .1 or .2 of a litre a couple of times over the years, I don't mind if they're all in the game. My problem is when they have a different name, but the same specs, price, dimensions, cylinders, doors, rims, paint options, and the only actual differences would be things like what the seats are made out of, which doesn't affect the player at all. The in-game cars don't have seats.
And no my post wasn't full of complaining about variations. I was complaining about non-variations: same car, same specs, different name.
Really? Well I haven't come across this "no Stripe" Ford GT. It hasn't shown up when ford shows up in the dealership So forgive me if i myself made an invalid point,
But really, Nit picking about the variations is pretty pointless. Anyways, my point still remains valid because you are nit picking on the variations of the cars.

Last edited:
Wrong example. The 350Z and G35 ARE different cars. A G35 is not simply a rebadged 350Z (it's more like a sister model, like the VW Golf/Audi A3/Seat Leon). A Vauxhall Corsa however, is nothing more than a rebadged Opel Corsa (or vice versa if you prefer). Same applies to the Hyundai Coupe/Tiburon.

Still, I don't mind if both are in and they are advertised as seperate cars. Actually, they should be slightly different, because manufacturers apply differences in suspension and trim levels between countries/continents. As a matter of fact, even identical models usually have different suspension settings in EU/US regions (e.g. if I import a BMW 135i from the US it will have softer suspension compared to the same car in the EU).

I doubt PD made them different though (but I didn't check). ;)
Note that I said that they ARE Different cars. Though they are pretty similar they are different.

I just don't understand why PD put in the game so many Skyline's and RX-7... Instead of put more BMW or Audi's or something... On one hand, i like to collect them all, but, on the other hand, it's stupid,...

Not true, the PSP version started before the PSP was announced in early 04, then the direction shifted at some point. The content was done at the same time as GT4's. Years ago PD sad they had higher detailed models already done for future GT titles. This includes the smaller PSP models. They did a great job with the psp car models.

The tracks are not the same either. High Speed Ring has a nasty grass trap in one of the turns if you try to ride the rails. And a Barrier before the last turn.

Ah ok then haha, my point was they were done at about the same time which you've confirmed there.

And you shouldn't be riding the rails anyway! Thats cheating.:lol:

Yes its the GT4 car list with several unfortunate exclusions. I'm not complaining though, its still a hell of a lot of cars for a handheld game.

Why would anyone complain about this? It takes very little time to include all models of a car once they have done one, so why not? Would you rather they only included one single model of each and not give you the choice?

Honestly I really have to question the intelligence on display here.

What confuses me about the whole Ford GT stripe/no stripe thing is that PD only made an exception for that car. Other cars with a striped paint job option aren't listed as separate.

About the name variations...here's an example. If any of you have ever played Metropolis Street Racer, you highlight a car model, and then you choose the name, let's say MX-5, Roadster or Miata. However, it's only counted as one car. This is how it should be. I'm all for having different variations - I think it adds to the realism of the game (and personally, I like the name MX-5 more than I do Miata or Roadster). But PD went too far by separating them as three distinct models, when in reality they are all the same mechanically.

But does this make the game terrible? Absolutely not. It's my favorite game of 2009 (so far). And the best part is, I can take it anywhere!

I'm on a mission to collect at least one of each car. It really pisses me off when I have to buy the same car over and over...and over. :(

It does have more than GT4. It has all of the cars from any version of GT4 plus a handful of new cars (I count 11 new ones).

Oddly, I noticed the Esso Ultraflow Supra is missing...
It actually doesn't. It's missing several cars from GT4, including the Nike concept and the Patent Motor-Wagen. I mean, they're insignificant, but to say it has all GT4's cars isn't really fair...

I swear, the people on this board are stuck in a permanent state of overacting to minute things.
I was under the impression most people here were all about ignoring the horrendous shortcomings of GT PSP, just because it's Gran Turismo. It's like PD could do whatever they wanted (literally), and people would embrace it because of the Gran Turismo label. I like GT PSP, I like it a lot, but I'm willing to admit that it's right down there with GT1 on the list of the worst GT games that exist...and GT1 is only on the bottom because it has the least cars, due to being about 13 years old.

How many cars did you expect exactly? This game probably has more content than any PSP game that has/ever will be released. There are more than enough cars to keep me busy until GT5 comes out.

Is not about how many cars are in, is about which cars, the dissapointment thing is even when PD have Ferrari, Lamborghini and Bugatti lincenses they did not make an effort to put more interesting cars of this brands, same goes with newer cars from brands that has been in the game for few years now.

You can put the 400 cars and do a better job. Obviously its GT4 list, but thats not excuse to not put some effort in making a little improve, for me the game is such barebones and there practically nothing new, that i find it kind of boring and very dissapointing, i already played GT4 a lot so i dont want to repeat the same experience once again (basically same tracks, same cars, minus a good career mode).

Really the driving challenge was fun, that was something new (not the idea but different challenges), the rest is meh.

I had much fun with GT2 and Toca games on psp.

It actually doesn't. It's missing several cars from GT4, including the Nike concept and the Patent Motor-Wagen. I mean, they're insignificant, but to say it has all GT4's cars isn't really fair...

I keep forgetting to include the cars you couldn't race online with in GT4, because every time I've played GT4 in the last 2 years has been LAN mode :D

And that lends further credence to the theory that it's designed with online racing in mind. After all, what's missing from the GT4 lists?

Auto Union Streamline (not available in LAN mode)
Caterham FireBlade (not available in LAN mode)
Ford Model T (not available in LAN mode)
Jay Leno Tank Car (not available in LAN mode)
Mercedes Benz Patent Motor Wagen (not available in LAN mode)
Mercedes Daimler Motor Carriage (not available in LAN mode)
Nike ONE (not available in LAN mode)
Toyota MTRC (not available in LAN mode)
Toyota Esso Ultraflow Supra

Ultimately, it has the LAN mode car list of every GT4 game (which is an 814 car roster), less the Ultraflow Supra (what is it with this car?), the Astons (I'd heard a rumour about this), the MGs, the Autobianchi A112... probably a couple of other things.

I was under the impression most people here were all about ignoring the horrendous shortcomings of GT PSP, just because it's Gran Turismo. It's like PD could do whatever they wanted (literally), and people would embrace it because of the Gran Turismo label.

And all along I thought that I thought the game was awesome because I thought it was awesome.

Let me just say beforehand that the car-list is impressively extensive. BUT...

I counted 116 duplicates in that list. That is to say, same car under a different name. And please don't start arguing with me that it's slightly different, because it was sold in another market (US instead of Japan, Europe or whatever). If you feel the urge, start explaining with...

VIPER GTS-R Team Oreca Race Car '00
Dodge VIPER GTS-R Team Oreca Race Car '00

That IS the same car, period. What they did is to merge the lists from different regions and a lot either slipped through, or they didn't have the time to do it properly.

What you get in the end is...

701 GT4 cars (by my count - PAL)
18 new models

What's missing in GTPSP from GT4 are:
  • All Aston Martins
  • Both Holdens
  • Both MGs
  • Autobianchi 112, Caterham, Chrysler Prowler, Daihatsu Midget '63, Hyundai Rally Car, ESSO Supra JGTC.
  • All 'Special Cars', i.e. Auto Union, Fort T, Jay Leno's Tank Car, Mercedes Motor Carriages, Nike One, Toyota Triathlon. This is understandable imho, because you couldn't race them against opposition anyway.

Let me just say beforehand that the car-list is impressively extensive. BUT...

I counted 116 duplicates in that list. That is to say, same car under a different name. And please don't start arguing with me that it's slightly different, because it was sold in another market (US instead of Japan, Europe or whatever). If you feel the urge, start explaining with...

VIPER GTS-R Team Oreca Race Car '00
Dodge VIPER GTS-R Team Oreca Race Car '00

That IS the same car, period. What they did is to merge the lists from different regions and a lot either slipped through, or they didn't have the time to do it properly.

What you get in the end is...

701 GT4 cars (by my count - PAL)
18 new models

What's missing in GTPSP from GT4 are:
  • All Aston Martins
  • Both Holdens
  • Both MGs
  • Autobianchi 112, Caterham, Chrysler Prowler, Daihatsu Midget '63, Hyundai Rally Car, ESSO Supra JGTC.
  • All 'Special Cars', i.e. Auto Union, Fort T, Jay Leno's Tank Car, Mercedes Motor Carriages, Nike One, Toyota Triathlon. This is understandable imho, because you couldn't race them against opposition anyway.

It is NOT the same car. One car has #51 (FIA GT/Le Mans spec) and one car has #91 (ALMS spec).

I'm sure I've seen the Daihatsu Midget, or is that the threewheeler?

Yeah the Vipers may be identical but they have a slightly different livery. Its really the same difference as the ones between the Opel and Vauxhall Astra and Calibra touring cars.

On a slightly different note, only one of those is actually a GT fabrication; the Vauxhall Astra Super Tourer. The other three actually existed. Anyway moving on...

Yeah Alonsomania, the '63 Midget was the three wheeler. I wonder why the Astons didn't make it? That makes this the first GT game Aston Martin hasn't been in. Even though they've said they won't, I hope for some DLC.

Back