85th Running Of The 24 Hours Of Le Mans, 17-18 June 2017Sports Cars 

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 2,715 comments
It of course won't change anything but I really want to hear Capillaire's reason for doing that. Looks very suspicious and as if he hoped the Toyota would leave and incur a penalty.

Looks like a prank to me. About as funny as it would be to hack into the traffic lights in an intersection and turn them all green at the same time.

Hopefully the ACO sees it the same way and ban him from ever doing a Le Mans again.

Looks like a prank to me. About as funny as it would be to hack into the traffic lights in an intersection and turn them all green at the same time.

Hopefully the ACO sees it the same way and ban him from ever doing a Le Mans again.
I'm assuming that it must have been a prank, since I don't know how it could have been premeditated - but I'm struggling to understand how any racing driver could even consider doing something like this. It will be interesting to hear their side of the story, but it doesn't look very good.

Regarding my comments earlier about LMP2 'deserving' to win, I shouldn't have said it like that - of course you guys are right about the fact that there is no 'deserve' about it - every driver and team that takes part at LM gives it 100% and so no-one deserves it more than the others... I guess I meant to say that an LMP2 victory would have been extraordinary (which is kind of stating the obvious, but never mind).

In that context, though, seeing someone apparently deliberately jeopardise (and, in this instance, effectively end) someone else's race is very sad - if it turns out that there is not an innocent explanation.

sorry about my ignorance, but What happened to the #1 Porsche?
oil pump from the thermal engine failed and he was on the beginning of the mulsanne straight, so batteries of electric motor could not bring Lotterer back to the pits for repairs.

Why was the marshal stood behind the #7 Toyota?
Also, isn't Kobayashi supposed to wait for a green light at the end of pit lane?

Also, isn't Kobayashi supposed to wait for a green light at the end of pit lane?
I'm not sure but if you look at the drivers overalls you can see why it would be confusing, it's very similar to the Marshal.

I'm not sure but if you look at the drivers overalls you can see why it would be confusing, it's very similar to the Marshal.

Plus, drivers are instructed to prioritize Marshall signals over electronic signals.

Monday morning, and it feels almost underwhelming, another 364 days until the world's greatest race is run again. Many thanks gtplanet community as ever, was a busy one for me having to maintain a forum of my own, doing stuff on here, twitter, whilst having the LM24 projected from a second laptop onto my TV :lol:

Cheers all of you :gtpflag:

unnamed-1.jpg

Wec are a joke. So many people couldnt log in to stream it, streams stuttering, page unavailable.Its no wonder alot used a dodgy stream. The service hasnt improved since last season. They dont care when you complain they deny it has issues. Eurosport player is the best option. No adverts, a stable hd picture with no buffering etc. Thats how to do it ! Get your act together wec !

Monday morning, and it feels almost underwhelming, another 364 days until the world's greatest race is run again.

It's a giant stretch to call Le Mans the world's greatest race when the top-tier class has only 5 entries, ALL of which fail to move only hours into the race. The race wasn't on the track, but in the installation of replacement hybrid drive motors. The emperor has no clothes. Le Mans is a bad joke at the moment.

Wec are a joke. Despite paying for it, So many people couldnt log in to stream it, streams stuttering, page unavailable.Its no wonder alot used a dodgy stream. The service hasnt improved since last season. They dont care when you complain, they deny it has issues. Eurosport player is the best option. No adverts, a stable hd picture with no buffering etc. Thats how to do it ! Get your act together wec !
Judging by your triple post over 10 minutes the problems might be 'partially' down to your own connection.

Judging by your triple post over 10 minutes the problems might be 'partially' down to your own connection.
No. Iam on my phone at the moment in the coutryside with a bad signal. Fibre connection at home and the problems i had were same as alot of other disgruntled wec fans !

Well it had a few problems in the first 3 hours in the Browser. It was running fine on the iPad App all the time. After the first few hours it was running as it should on all plattforms until the end except for some page reloads every 2-3 hours.

Did you watch the race?
Yes, and it was a good race amongst the GT and P2 classes. It was the marquee class that stunk up the 85th running of the classic event. Those few that showed up performed miserably.

It was the marquee class that stunk up the 85th running of the classic event. Those few that showed up performed miserably.
So, just because 8.3% of the field performed miserably...
Le Mans is a bad joke at the moment.
?

I thought all the drama in LMP1 was good entertainment while it lasted. And, even after the Toyotas were out of the picture, the chase for the outright win by the #2 Porsche managed to maintain some tension throughout most of the race.

True. That poor fellow barely made it through the first corner before he garbaged his car. :lol:

@Vegard
Any tension provided by the Porsche salvaging the overall win from the humble Jackie Chan operation was faux tension. An elephant takes no pride in stomping a mouse. Seriously, the LMP1 class is moribund at the moment, meaning it lacks sufficient numbers to make a meaningful race, the regulations are producing unreliable machinery, and the costs are out of control. Now I realize that efforts are underway to ameliorate this unacceptable condition. But we need to face reality and not falsely glorify a very poor showing by the premiere class.

To me, it looks like as he was hitchhiking, with the finger and everything, and it doesn't look like he was trying to act as a steward to confuse Kobayashi, it just looked like it. It was just sheer stupidity.

But, yeah, not the time, not the place to be funny and ACO/FIA should look into this.

Wec are a joke. So many people couldnt log in to stream it, streams stuttering, page unavailable.Its no wonder alot used a dodgy stream. The service hasnt improved since last season. They dont care when you complain they deny it has issues. Eurosport player is the best option. No adverts, a stable hd picture with no buffering etc. Thats how to do it ! Get your act together wec !

Well, I live in Brazil's boondocks, the internet is crappy, to say the least, but the stream worked flawlessly this year. To be fair, it was by far the best service provided by the official app since its inception: Allan McNish and comentators that really knows about endurance racing, as opposed to some very weird choices in the previous years. And I didn't have any trouble to log in and follow the live timming from my notebook.

Any tension provided by the Porsche salvaging the overall win from the humble Jackie Chan operation was faux tension. An elephant takes no pride in stomping a mouse. Seriously, the LMP1 class is moribund at the moment, meaning it lacks sufficient numbers to make a meaningful race, the regulations are producing unreliable machinery, and the costs are out of control. Now I realize that efforts are underway to ameliorate this unacceptable condition. But we need to face reality and not falsely glorify a very poor showing by the premiere class.

The only thing wrong with LMP1 are the costs. Cars pushing technology to its limmits, and paying the price for this, are a good thing because failure breeds progress and better engeneering. I'm all for a race where anyone could break down because of this instead of F1, where nobody breks down and there isn't any drama (well, apart from Honda).

Last edited:
I didn't post once here during the race. I watched intently. But man, it's hard to be a Toyota fan and see victory elude them once again, twice and three times actually. I had reservations about Lapierre being in the third car. I really thought Toyota should have put Hirakawa in. I bet they're looking it over. That driver in the orange really made me cringe. Koby was told to stop after that iirc, then had to go again. That's 4 times the clutch engaged when it's only supposed to engage at a certain speed after the electric power kicks in. The #8 had a bizarre issue that hasn't arisen at all before and the #9, well, we just saw a driver who gets hit try to 'floor it' home. That's a lack of common sense but whatever, he's lmp2 champion so maybe he knows better than us /s :rolleyes:. A disappointing race up front imo. GTE was good though, and lmp2 was an all-Oreca affair that I didn't care about. At least Toyota stand a chance at the WEC world titles. If their car is as fast as they've shown so far and reliable enough for the 6 hour races, they stand a good chance imo. That's about all I can look forward to right now. 👍

Back