86th Running Of The 24 Hours Of Le Mans, 16-17 June 2018

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 1,592 comments
Roo
No. Whilst the Bentley team was effectively Audi in green, you also had Cadillac, Chrysler and MG racing during the earlier of those years, as well as Panoz, although I'm not sure if they count as a factory team. In 2004 and 2005 there were no factory teams in LMP1 at all - the Audis that were run in those years were all privateers.

I meant in LMP1 or whatever it was called back then. 2004 and 2005 was essentially re-runs of the 2003 car without any real competition?
I am of course confused why Toyota is getting so much "hate" when one of the most popular teams essentially did the same for 7 years where TOM K earned 6 victories..

I meant in LMP1 or whatever it was called back then. 2004 and 2005 was essentially re-runs of the 2003 car without any real competition?
I am of course confused why Toyota is getting so much "hate" when one of the most popular teams essentially did the same for 7 years where TOM K earned 6 victories..

I think its because the past is meant to be a happy place. Looking back, kristensen and audi are legends of endurance racing with that many victories. But at the time there were similar opinions about audi destroying the sport and everything around le mans becoming boring as hell. Thats why the original r8 got so many performance penalties that is was basically killed of by the organizers. Similar „excitement“ with schumi and ferrari in formula 1 in those exact years.

In the end the win will be remembered fondly by everyone. It‘s just that some people (e.g myself) would have wanted cars that can fight it out with toyota for the whole race or at least threaten them. I can understand both sides of the argument around toyota because frankly, both sides got a point. Toyota did it, the car was allowed, they have been trying since 1992, period.

On the other hand: toyota was in its own class, they had more than half an hour in the end, lead changes were out of sight for another competitor. All of this is true. Given Toyotas „luck“ the cars could easily have been destroyed in an accident or mechanical failure so the mist important racer toyota has won against is themselves. They won against toyota.

I think its because the past is meant to be a happy place. Looking back, kristensen and audi are legends of endurance racing with that many victories. But at the time there were similar opinions about audi destroying the sport and everything around le mans becoming boring as hell. Thats why the original r8 got so many performance penalties that is was basically killed of by the organizers. Similar „excitement“ with schumi and ferrari in formula 1 in those exact years.

In the end the win will be remembered fondly by everyone. It‘s just that some people (e.g myself) would have wanted cars that can fight it out with toyota for the whole race or at least threaten them. I can understand both sides of the argument around toyota because frankly, both sides got a point. Toyota did it, the car was allowed, they have been trying since 1992, period.

On the other hand: toyota was in its own class, they had more than half an hour in the end, lead changes were out of sight for another competitor. All of this is true. Given Toyotas „luck“ the cars could easily have been destroyed in an accident or mechanical failure so the mist important racer toyota has won against is themselves. They won against toyota.

Your last line.. The past two years they lost to Toyota. Their worst enemy was to a certain extent themselves

Back