90th Anniversary Running Of The Le Mans 24 Hours, 22-23 June 2013.

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 4,428 comments
I've heard that Allan might have tried to avoid, a Porsche, I believe, and it was, apparently, recorded by a spectator... I'll see if the clip might be up on YouTube.

A Ferrari had spun there a few moments before, so everyone took a "wider" line. You can see the Ferrari going slowly down to the Hunaudieres just after Allan lost control of the car and disappeared from the onboard (Vette's) video.

Question: The Aston driver that shows up in the Porsche video, at around 0:34 is not Simonsen, is it ? I think it is Dumbreck that shows up talking with a Porsche driver, but not sure.

Question: The Aston driver that shows up in the Porsche video, at around 0:34 is not Simonsen, is it ? I think it is Dumbreck that shows up talking with a Porsche driver, but not sure.

He looks similar, but if it was Simonsen I think they'd have put the clip at the end.

A Ferrari had spun there a few moments before, so everyone took a "wider" line. You can see the Ferrari going slowly down to the Hunaudieres just after Allan lost control of the car and disappeared from the onboard (Vette's) video.

To me, it looks like he's trying to avoid a car - at least in the spectator-video.

And, I'm pretty sure it's Dumbreck, too.

Beautiful. Don't want to spoil, but worthy of watching until the very end.

Class right there

Does any one have anymore of these montage videos of le mans 2013,or even some helmet cam onboards ?THanks in advance

Porsche video

For once, towards the end of this years race, I wasn't supporting Porsche, however gorgeous their new 991s are, but videos like this make me feel better about supporting them the rest of the time.

Over the course of this year's race I felt my normal routes of support shift as a result of what had happened. Instead of wanting anyone other than Audi to win, I instead felt my support shift into favour of the #2 Audi, as I knew the sight of a Dane on the top step of the overall podium would make as fitting a memorial as any to Allan Simonsen, and I felt myself suddenly supporting Aston Martin, for reasons one should not have to question.

Motor racing is still dangerous, as we have seen, but we must be thankful accidents like this happen nowhere near as often as they once did.

To me, it looks like he's trying to avoid a car - at least in the spectator-video.

And, I'm pretty sure it's Dumbreck, too.

Simonsen was too far back to be avoiding anything. He just went with two wheels over the wet kerbs, the car had a little wiggle and he lost it.

I'm just wading through images at the moment, so you can have these four:

lm2420130025.jpg

lm2420130034.jpg

lm2420130037.jpg

lm2420130043.jpg

Simonsen was too far back to be avoiding anything. He just went with two wheels over the wet kerbs, the car had a little wiggle and he lost it.

Are you sure? - I agree it looks like that, from the car driving behind, but from the outside it looks like he's trying to avoid something, and then drives over the kerb, and the rest happens. I believe we'll get the "real" cause from the FIA, sooner or later.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UotNe4FbkcQ">YouTube Link</a>

Beautiful. Don't want to spoil, but worthy of watching until the very end.

My friend summed it up perfectly.
"Porsche, I love you now. I never used to. But I do now.

Not the drivers of the road cars. They're smug so and sos"

Are you sure? - I agree it looks like that, from the car driving behind, but from the outside it looks like he's trying to avoid something, and then drives over the kerb, and the rest happens. I believe we'll get the "real" cause from the FIA, sooner or later.

Oh, you meant "something". I thought you meant the Ferrari ahead of him. We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Well, I did :D, but looking through it again, makes your version more plausible; that the Ferrari is too far ahead.

I feel sorry for those who have to investigate fatal accidents. It must be quite an emotionally tiring job. Reading this week's copy of Autosport was difficult for me, with two drivers killed in fatal accidents (one succumbing to injuries from an accident in a historic race a couple of weeks ago) and another dying of a heart attack. This is a dark time for the sport, I only hope we never see another like it again...

From the clips it looks like the other drivers weren't skilled enough to hold the slide and spun.

Allen held the slide then suddenly the car gripped and at that point the wheels were pointing the wrong way so it fired him in to the barrier.

75 G's apparently.

It will always continue to happen. That's the risk of motorsports.

One can only strive to improve safety. But we will never be able to rule out accidents.

Back