96th Indianapolis 500 (Full Race post #430)

• Thread starter Earth
  • 434 comments
GTP_Royalton
Logo_Indy2012.gif

Indianapolis-500-race_-Indy-500-schedule-and-lineup.jpg

Free Stream of Practice & Race & Live Timing & Scoring

http://racecontrol.indycar.com/

Noteable rookie entries
  • Jean Alesi
  • Rubens Barrichello
  • Simon Pagenaud

Pole Day - May 19th @ 11 AM est
Race - May 27th @ 12 PM est

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see how the new car does on the Indy Oval, I'll be watching for sure. Rooting for fellow Canadian James Hinchcliffe.

Maybe the other teams foresaw that happening and that was their reason for jumping to Chevy or Honda before the Indy 500 month began.

I don't even know if a stronger boost would help them go faster. 15 mph is a huge difference at those speeds.

I am worried that these small wings won't produce much downforce to keep these on the ground when they crash...

Link is full of ads...

Ryan Briscoe wins the pole, his lap stood fast against half a dozen late attempts to knock him off the top spot.

I am worried that these small wings won't produce much downforce to keep these on the ground when they crash...

Link is full of ads...

Well, I have seen similar crashes before with different cars. I'm not sure why they bring cars with 550 HP to a 2 1/2 mile oval. How flat does the aero have to be on a car to run 220mph with only 550 HP?

It makes no sense. With more power they can run more downforce and have better handling cars to make more passes and run closer to each other, and be safer.

Oh and here is the similar crash.

Almost every car was running the least amount of downforce legally allowed. They'll be at a normal downforce for the race.

The grid is set for next week. 16 mph difference between Pole and 33rd.

Also, the DW12 has had 4 significant crashes during the weekend and every driver has walked away without any significant injuries. The previous chassis in a crash at Indy would almost guarantee some kind of back injury, but so far there's only been a sore hand on Bryan Clauson after his crash yesterday.

Screw Lotus for humiliating Alesi like this. 16mph? 👎 And 4 of those mph were due to an old engine?!?!?
Same for Simona too, though they had the courtesy to give her a new engine for qualy. Even Simona is 7mph off the next reasonable qualy speed.

At least Bourdais has a proper engine behind him now, his bump-day qualy speed was good enough for 15th - not bad for missing so much practice time!

If I was Jean, I would be very tempted to refuse to drive - he really can't be looking forward to 500 miles of being lapped at such speed!

Yeah, he hasn't been very happy at all with what he has. He wanted to new engine in his car but the team refused since they wanted to save it for race day.

If I was in his place, I'd outright refuse to even qualify the car.

I wouldn't be shocked if Lotus is out of the series come Detroit.

Hope the race is good.:cheers:

I was frankly surprised that they even bothered to find new teams to run the engines, considering they had the gall to ask for more money on engines when they owed teams like Dragon money!

If they still turn up at future events it can only be because they've managed to find people who are happy to take their small inputs of cash and engines just to simply exist in Indycar. Surely anyone wanting to be genuinely competitive would avoid them like the plague!

I wish Jean hadn't been tempted by (presumably) money and had stayed at Ferrari driving GT cars, he was pretty good at that. This whole drama has just been embarrasing.

Oh the race will be good. Its the Indy 500.

Shame about the removal of double-file restarts but this new aero package, engine and field will surely stir up some drama.

I can't wait to watch and if there the last two race are anything to go by, the best of the action could come down to the last lap.

Massive kudos to IndyCar and Dallara for this new chassis. 4 big hits on Pole and Bump days and no serious injuries caused. Could be the COT for IndyCar.

If I was Jean, I would be very tempted to refuse to drive - he really can't be looking forward to 500 miles of being lapped at such speed!
He's a Lotus brand ambassador, so refusing the drive probably isn't an option. Lotus will likely blame his lack of pace on the team, since this is Fan Force United's first entry.

Fan Force United is a sister team to HVM. Those two cars should have been the only ones under 220mph, but I think Clauson's wreck the day before might have caused him to be a bit mroe careful with his qualifying run yesterday.

Theres talk the Lotus teams may get extra turbo boost to help them stay closer to the pace and be safe

Yeah but would the engines be reliable if the boost was higher? I guess its better to have two engines go pop after being only a little off the pace than to have 2 desperately slow cars that are reliable. I'm normally all for having the most competitors take part and able to finish but in this case I think it would be better for everyone that the Lotus cars don't even start.
I was vainly hoping that Lotus might actually put some effort and money behind getting Alesi on the grid at Indy if anything just because Indy is the only real place they can really claim any genuine publicity. If they had turned up with a decent engine I would be all for Lotus competing. But the fact they haven't and are ham-stringing decent drivers like Bourdais, Servia, Alesi and de Silvestro annoys me a lot. I don't like half-arsed operations particularly when they are just a sponsor name.
(just to explain my apparent dislike for Lotus here).

I hope for Silverstro and Alesi's sake that the new(er) engine is a bit closer in the race with a slipstream and that they manage to be competitive with tyre wear and/or fuel consumption.

Yeah but would the engines be reliable if the boost was higher? I guess its better to have two engines go pop after being only a little off the pace than to have 2 desperately slow cars that are reliable. I'm normally all for having the most competitors take part and able to finish but in this case I think it would be better for everyone that the Lotus cars don't even start.
I was vainly hoping that Lotus might actually put some effort and money behind getting Alesi on the grid at Indy if anything just because Indy is the only real place they can really claim any genuine publicity. If they had turned up with a decent engine I would be all for Lotus competing. But the fact they haven't and are ham-stringing decent drivers like Bourdais, Servia, Alesi and de Silvestro annoys me a lot. I don't like half-arsed operations particularly when they are just a sponsor name.
(just to explain my apparent dislike for Lotus here).

I hope for Silverstro and Alesi's sake that the new(er) engine is a bit closer in the race with a slipstream and that they manage to be competitive with tyre wear and/or fuel consumption.

Initially Alesi was suppose to drive for Newman-Haas, a much better team the young Fan Force, but they withdrew both their cars.

I would certainly hope a small boost of 20 or so HP wouldn't hurt the reliability, especially considering they are only 550 HP to begin with. With 50 HP extra for qualifying the cars picked up about 10 mph. I would hope with 25 HP they pick up 5 MPH which would almost put them on pace with last place qualifiers of years past.

In 1996 there was a gap of 12mph from pole to 33rd

http://www.motorsport.com/#!/indycar/news/indy-500-drivers-ready-to-rock-and-roll/?i=1

Here is a good summary of the event so far, and preview of the race.

If the temperature is over 92 F on Sunday, as currently forecast, it will be an all time record for the grueling event, and potentially a big factor in the race.

I think the race could well become a classic slipstreaming duel, but that Franchitti and Dixon cannot be ruled out in their underpowered Hondas. Woe betide those who cannot run with the lead pack. Newgarden or Pagenaud for Rookie of the Year among the 8 candidates.

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

For the first time it will be broadcast live in the Netherlands. 👍 In HD. 👍

I'll be watching this!

Dennisch
For the first time it will be broadcast live in the Netherlands. 👍 In HD. 👍

I'll be watching this!

We've also got it on Sky Sports 4 in the UK, I was unsure originally if we'd be able to see it. This is gonna be awesome 👍

Back