96th Indianapolis 500 (Full Race post #430)

• Thread starter Earth
  • 434 comments
Just don't ever take too much into comments from YouTube. They're just talking 🤬!

Just stick to whatever you think it is, because when you scroll down, things will be different :lol:

There is some interesting facts surrounding the last lap past attempt that makes Sato not look as crazy and Dario look like a clean racer.

Apparently of the 35 lead changes only 1 occured going into turn 3. This was because of the wind. If Sato had waited until going into turn 3 the odds are he wouldnt have had such a great run. Also Dario would have blocked him big time, forcing him to pass on the outside. Sato surprised Franchitti going into 1, which didn't give Franchitti sufficient time to block him.

Did Sato know about how difficult it was to pass going into 3 and did that have an affect on his decision, or did he have a road racer mentality that says its best to past the guy anywhere and as soon as possible, whereas an oval racer knows its best to wait to the last possible minute?

Sato believes Franchitti didn't give him enough room, but nobody is just going to move over for you on the last lap of the Indianpolis 500.

And the following is a good video breaking down the pass attempt. Ignore the title it isn't all about Monaco vs Indy. The 2nd half of the video makes very good points about how the crash was just hard racing. He also touches on the idiotic youtube comments.

He didn't hit him, but he squeezed him out of the race. He was lucky that Sato plays hard but is fair. A guy like JPM would've kept above the white line and would've take Dario (and himself most probably) out.

I was a bit baffled by the fact that nobody questioned Dario's move but hey, whatever, Sato wasn't hurt in the process and that's probably a "fair GTFO" squeezing action according to american standards.

Last edited:
Dario hit Sato?

In what parallel universe did that occur in?

Dario said in a interview after the race that when Sato went for the inside, he went down as well to defend the position, then he went back up to give Sato some room.

That will be where the confusion is.

He didn't hit him, but he squeezed him out of the race. He was lucky that Sato plays hard but is fair. A guy like JPM would've kept above the white line and would've take Dario (and himself most probably) out.

I was a bit baffled by the fact that nobody questioned Dario's move but hey, whatever, Sato wasn't hurt in the process and that's probably a "fair GTFO" squeezing action according to american standards.

History repeated itself. In the 1989 finish Fittipaldi drove his car too hard and admittedly lost control and crashed Al Unser Jr out of the race. But there were no after race investigations like you see in F1. Its just two guys going all out and only one was going to make it back to the finish line.

Interview of Al Unser Jr after the race

Jerry Punch: Could this have been avoided?

Al Unser Jr: I dont think so. Emmo (Fittipaldi) wanted the race as bad as I did and when you got two racecar drivers wanting the Indy 500 as bad as we did at that point, we're both going to go into the corner and only one man is going to come out.

Its the same situation with Sato and Franchitti

Its the same situation with Sato and Franchitti

Sato didn't go wildly out of control and off the track like Fittipaldi though. I agree with you though - it was a racing incident and I don't consider what Franchitti did as overly dirty - he gave *just* enough space.

Fittipaldi though was out of control in that example. Thats not racing, its just poor driving. đź‘Ž I don't think the last lap for the victory of any race is justification for poor driving. Its understandable, yes, but justified? No. I don't expect anyone to be able to pull out from making a stupid move on their own in such a scenario but I certainly expect it to be punishable - thats the whole point of having stewards and governing bodies of sports. To regulate the competitors where they cannot regulate themselves.

As much as a good sign that most racing series are uploading races on YouTube, but if they're not made to be available worldwide then there's no use for it. Such a shame...

Here's another version on youtube, by SkySports4HD. Not sure if it's legal so please tell me if it's not.

Back