979PP Red Bull Fan Car 1 Lap Time Trial: Circuito de la Sierra

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 177 comments
Interesting to see the top of the board is being dominated by X2014, the one with least power. I guess drivability and consistency is more important here than outright speed.

If I feel up to it I might give this another go with the X2010 S Vettel (with its special longer gearing) and the X2014 to see if I can improve.

Quote from "The Sierra Time Rally Thread"
Since everyone probably has the track unlocked, has anyone tried the X1 on the track yet? If so how did it go?

This could be the inspiration for this seasonal :lol: Add random rain from 30 to 50% halfway through and it's served.

Interesting to see the top of the board is being dominated by X2014, the one with least power. I guess drivability and consistency is more important here than outright speed.
For the X2014 the aerodynamics are much better that the '10 & '11, allowing it to get better speeds, even with the lack of power. If it had the same power as either of those, it would be massively overpowered and the best redbull in every situation.
Quote from "The Sierra Time Rally Thread"
This could be the inspiration for this seasonal :lol: Add random rain from 30 to 50% halfway through and it's served.
Yes, I remembered this thread: X1 On Zahara Challenge, and thought "I'm happy I had a lot of practice"

If I feel up to it I might give this another go with the X2010 S Vettel (with its special longer gearing) and the X2014 to see if I can improve.
But it's actually faster weirdly, I love the red bulls but I hate the track so much that i'll never race it, but i set a world record in the X2011 on GT5 on have got great results from other red bull time trials, maybe my x2011 setup on GT5 could be helpful?

If anyone is going to hate on this seasonal, Blame me since I guess I suggested it.

If anyone is going to hate on this seasonal, Blame me since I guess I suggested it.
are you a masochist ?
i think ther are lots of gamers which dont like the current events. especially for there is no alternative like another TT-Event or at least a payout for the a-spec event or something.

But i dont realy believe that THIS was YOUR idea :D

6.42 on a DS3 after 2 hours, I now have sore numb fingers and my hand is shaking a bit !

. If i was 20 years younger I think I could do it but my reactions are just not quick enough any more. Think i could scrape a bronze If I gave it another 4 hours ! I drive using bunper view and its just way to hectic driving this course at 200 mph round corners using that view.

Thats quite a stretch. I made the X1 Zahara Challenge thread so blame me instead.

Or not.

Mine was posted back in October of last year. So if it was before then maybe it was you if after it was me.

For the X2014 the aerodynamics are much better that the '10 & '11, allowing it to get better speeds, even with the lack of power. If it had the same power as either of those, it would be massively overpowered and the best redbull in every situation.

They trimmed the wings on the X2014 and increased the power to the fans, so it's more reliant on underbody downforce and can reach the same top speeds with less power. Also, because the X cars use engine power to power the fans (vs the Chapparal 2J, which has its own motor to power the fans), that's why you see the X2014 have the least power. Whereas the X2011 is the opposite: it makes the wings bigger and reduces the power to the fans, to increase engine power as much as possible.

As a result the X2014 is the easiest and most consistent to drive (because downforce from fans is always constant). The top speed is equivalent to the X2011. However, the X2011 still wins in terms of acceleration. Due to the nature of the track at Sierra not having a lot of stop-start sections, the X2011 never gets a chance to show its strength and the drivability of the X2014 wins.

But it's actually faster weirdly, I love the red bulls but I hate the track so much that i'll never race it, but i set a world record in the X2011 on GT5 on have got great results from other red bull time trials, maybe my x2011 setup on GT5 could be helpful?

They changed the X cars from GT5 to GT6 and they are a bit trickier to drive now, so setup wise it might not transfer exactly. On most tracks the X2011 should still be the fastest. It's just the nature of the track at Sierra just favours the ease of X2014 more.

@DrAug - thanks for your set-up! 👍

I had a large window of racing time today after a few hours previously with a RB x2011 car to learn the track. I started at 6:24.373 and quickly achieved a bronze time of 5:58.221. I switched to the RB x2014 car with stock settings and achieved a silver time of 5:34.783...now the fun begins going for gold.

I couldn't get through the wet sections to save my life and I decided to load in DrAug's settings and 30 minutes later after several re-loadings of the race to get a different wet track, I achieved a gold time of 5:19.725. I know I left some time out on the track but sub 5 minutes seems a bit daunting...
I donated blood this AM and I am not sure if this was the best thing to do for the rest of the day...I feel a bit dizzy. :yuck:

:cheers:

@DrAug - thanks for your set-up! 👍

I had a large window of racing time today after a few hours previously with a RB x2011 car to learn the track. I started at 6:24.373 and quickly achieved a bronze time of 5:58.221. I switched to the RB x2014 car with stock settings and achieved a silver time of 5:34.783...now the fun begins going for gold.

I couldn't get through the wet sections to save my life and I decided to load in DrAug's settings and 30 minutes later after several re-loadings of the race to get a different wet track, I achieved a gold time of 5:19.725. I know I left some time out on the track but sub 5 minutes seems a bit daunting...
I donated blood this AM and I am not sure if this was the best thing to do for the rest of the day...I feel a bit dizzy. :yuck:

:cheers:
I get dizzy every time I try this TT......

12.20 12.30
1 1
1 1
7 7
0.0 0.0
0.00 0.00

LSD: 12/5/12
DF : 900/1200

I am now 7th globally (up from 28th) thanks to your setup!

zkMQycO.jpg

I did modify your setup a bit however by stiffening the suspension up to 17.00F-16.50R and increasing the transmission top speed to 311 MPH. I also had the rain peak at only 27% during this attempt.

GO TEAM USA! :gtpflag:

They trimmed the wings on the X2014 and increased the power to the fans, so it's more reliant on underbody downforce and can reach the same top speeds with less power. Also, because the X cars use engine power to power the fans (vs the Chapparal 2J, which has its own motor to power the fans), that's why you see the X2014 have the least power. Whereas the X2011 is the opposite: it makes the wings bigger and reduces the power to the fans, to increase engine power as much as possible.

As a result the X2014 is the easiest and most consistent to drive (because downforce from fans is always constant). The top speed is equivalent to the X2011. However, the X2011 still wins in terms of acceleration. Due to the nature of the track at Sierra not having a lot of stop-start sections, the X2011 never gets a chance to show its strength and the drivability of the X2014 wins.

They changed the X cars from GT5 to GT6 and they are a bit trickier to drive now, so setup wise it might not transfer exactly. On most tracks the X2011 should still be the fastest. It's just the nature of the track at Sierra just favours the ease of X2014 more.
I've driven the X1 cars a lot and i believe the X2014 is faster at most tracks, only thing i notice different between them is the X2011 got way better take off out of corners but then the X2014 just becomes faster on the strights, and yes GT5 is cery different to the GT6 X1s but the lsd and suspension could work

I've driven the X1 cars a lot and i believe the X2014 is faster at most tracks, only thing i notice different between them is the X2011 got way better take off out of corners but then the X2014 just becomes faster on the strights, and yes GT5 is cery different to the GT6 X1s but the lsd and suspension could work

Based on my experience as well as the official car description, the X2014 has "a much more tractable power curve" which makes it much easier at accelerating and exiting corners.

Additionally, "body aerodynamics were streamlined" to reduce air resistance and help it match the X2011's top speed with 300 less HP.

X2011 better take off is due to it having 400 HP more.

IIRC with minimum downforce X2011 has higher top speed, with maximum downforce X2014 has higher top speed. So yes, assuming max downforce is the way to go for Sierra, the X2014 will be faster.

I expected the X2011 to be faster at first because it is significantly faster at Nordschleife. This guy got 3.38.xxx with X2014 and 3.25.xxx with X2011 (look at video description).

X2011 better take off is due to it having 400 HP more.

IIRC with minimum downforce X2011 has higher top speed, with maximum downforce X2014 has higher top speed. So yes, assuming max downforce is the way to go for Sierra, the X2014 will be faster.

I expected the X2011 to be faster at first because it is significantly faster at Nordschleife. This guy got 3.38.xxx with X2014 and 3.25.xxx with X2011 (look at video description).
Before the X2014 came out the X2011 i remember setting a lap at Bathurst 1:05.2 then the X2014 came out and the X2011 was patched and i could then only do 1:08s as when i tryed X2014 it did 1:07s, i've only driven X1s at full downforce and using same setup, I also remember a patch in GT5 that slowed down the Red Bulls it was 30kp/h slowed on full downforce but low downforce was faster than before and before that patch I could do 3:10s in the X2011 in GT5 at nurburgring then when that patch come out I was 10 seconds slower

Before the X2014 came out the X2011 i remember setting a lap at Bathurst 1:05.2 then the X2014 came out and the X2011 was patched and i could then only do 1:08s as when i tryed X2014 it did 1:07s, i've only driven X1s at full downforce and using same setup, I also remember a patch in GT5 that slowed down the Red Bulls it was 30kp/h slowed on full downforce but low downforce was faster than before and before that patch I could do 3:10s in the X2011 in GT5 at nurburgring then when that patch come out I was 10 seconds slower

Well if they patched the X2011 to nerf it after X2014 comes out that explains things. In any case, these cars' laptimes are so driver dependent, there's probably not much difference in the ultimate lap with the perfect driver. I've seen your name high up in leaderboards and you're a much better driver than me so I'm gonna trust your judgement :lol: 👍

I take a similar approach to these "over the top" events using slightly "bigger picture" objectives.

1. Complete 1 clean lap at whatever time it takes me.
2. Do laps while increasing pace until I get Bronze 6:00.000
3. " " until I get Silver 5:35.000
4. " " until I get Gold 5:25.000

I did a 5:30.xxx last night, good enough to bump me up to the silver trophy. All I need to do is find a little more than 5 seconds to reach gold. I know it will take me a lot longer to find last 5 seconds but I'm optimistic I'll reach gold.

I'm now using @RacingHardTV version of the @DrAug tune (with my own transmission settings) Thanks to you both 👍

I thought being a redbull fan i would like this but once i seen the track i didn't even try it

This one really comes down to the luck of the draw. If you get low rain you can really fly but if you get the heavy rain the speed is gone. I had one evening of about an hour where I had low rain and within two laps went from 5:04:xxx to a 4:49.xxx and there was a lot left in it when I had to abandon my runs. Today I drove for a couple of hours and had the heavy rains. They not only lay down more water but it rains much longer up the road.
Anyone else had this experience?

I actually love it other than two things. 1. Automatic restarts due to penalty have to go in the future. 2. If they are going to include rain then have it consistant every time. If one is unlucky enough to get the heavy rain every time they log on they can't get a fair crack at their best run time.

6.42 on a DS3 after 2 hours, I now have sore numb fingers and my hand is shaking a bit !

. If i was 20 years younger I think I could do it but my reactions are just not quick enough any more. Think i could scrape a bronze If I gave it another 4 hours ! I drive using bunper view and its just way to hectic driving this course at 200 mph round corners using that view.

I also use a DS3 and still use x and square for accel/brake, though I use the "from behind" camera view. My reactions aren't very good either...managed a 6:30 after an hour. Not sure if you have seen my advice posted earlier in the thread but try turning the power down on it and set the TOE to +0.50 front and rear and DS3 sensitivity settings to 3. I set the 6:30 with the power set at only 50% and full front and rear downforce and I wasn't flat out...the various settings make the car much less twitchy and easier to control, it's almost like driving the RB Junior..prior to changing the settings, I couldn't even make it beyond a third way round the lap. You can then slowly decrease the DF and/or increase the power

Had another go earlier for an hour and a half with the power increased to 55%...and didn't manage to complete a single lap though I don't actually mind strangely! Did have one lap where I got 3/4 of the way round 13 seconds ahead of my ghost though..that would have probably been a 6:15 or so. However, as I haven't driven the RB '14 much before (only with the RB Events), the more I run, the more comfortable and confident I feel with it...by the end of the session I was able to get through sector 5 10+ seconds ahead of the ghost (gaining an average of 2.5 seconds per sector except for sector 1 where it's around a second) which makes me confident that I can at least get the bronze time with the power still only at 55%.

The extra 5% power is giving 14mph in top speed so it's useful but most of the time is from confidence as I am now able to push 100% through sectors 1 and 2 and only lift or brake when it's really necessary as opposed to lift and coasting most corners. I am still hopeful that I can get the gold time before the dealine and I don't think I will need 100% power for it

Back