A bit disappointed in the BMW Vision Concept?

• Thread starter mc959
  • 320 comments

Dissapointed

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oh, so it supposedly has a I6. Thing is though (at least as far as I can tell), there's no current race version of an Inline 6. I know people love the hell of the E30 ( a car that as great as it is, gets talked about too damn much), but that Naturally aspirated V8 is about the only thing I can find that's current and close to appropriate (sure there's the Z4's V8, but that's even more off then what I had in mind)

Currently there is a race version of the M235i, called the M235i Racing it has an inline 6 with BMW TwinPower turbo technology: http://www.bmw-motorsport.com/en/cars/bmw-m235ir.html

The original sketch was definitely a race version of the i8, but plans obviously changed.

Nope Nope Nope and Nope. If it was 'definitely' a race version of the i8, I would have thought it might have shared one or two design details with the i8, but it shares none, the VGT always looked like a front engined car too, so equally I've got no idea why people here are suggesting it was 'supposed' to be a modern M1.

Also:
I discussed the options back in August Last year, and I don't think I was too far off the mark...
Vision Gran Turismo discussion- M-B AMG Vision unveiled

One thing I do find kind of funny is that people now appear to have expectations for sounds of cars that don't exist. We didn't even know the BMW was going to turn out the way it did so what the hell was anyone expecting in regards to the sound?

Are people going to be severely disappointed with the VW once it too reuses a sample?

Thats alright, it'll sound like an R8.

Nope Nope Nope and Nope. If it was 'definitely' a race version of the i8, I would have thought it might have shared one or two design details with the i8, but it shares none, the VGT always looked like a front engined car too, so equally I've got no idea why people here are suggesting it was 'supposed' to be a modern M1.
If you check out the VGT sketches on the website or in game, you'll see the BMW VGT has design cues from the i8. It has a spoiler and harder lines making it look like a race version of the i8. Back during the Geneva auto show, Jordan said that's when the BMW VGT will be released, but that never happened. I'm starting to think that's when he scrapped the old design and made the M235i race car concept.

If you check out the VGT sketches on the website or in game, you'll see the BMW VGT has design cues from the i8. It has a spoiler and harder lines making it look like a race version of the i8. Back during the Geneva auto show, Jordan said that's when the BMW VGT will be released, but that never happened. I'm starting to think that's when he scrapped the old design and made the M235i race car concept.

Believe me, I'm WELL aware of what the i8 looks like, I'm also well aware of what the 2 series looks like. The front end of the VGT has always shared more design cues with the 2 Series. They may well have changed direction during its development.. but I don't believe the original VGT was ever anything to do with the i8. People seem to want to make the connection between i8 and VGT, perhaps because at one time the i8 was a concept with the word 'Vision' in the name, perhaps it's just the distinctive elements inside the headlamps (that were way more prevelant on the Vision Efficient Dynamics car, then the i8 Concept, than they are on the production i8)... but either way, it's a case of 2 + 2 = 5. Since the 2 series was spotted not longer after the VGT was announced, it was pretty obvious the car, even the original VGT sketch was 2 series based - and as the car made the transition from design concept to reality, this is far more apparent.

BMW designer no.1: "Wow, we can really show off our design vision and imagination with this VGT concept."
BMW designer no2: "Yeah, there is almost no cost, so let's make a crazy beast of a car."
BMW marketing guy no1: "Easy boys, we won't do anything so stupid. We'll just make a marketing plug for the new 2 series. Just add some spoilers to it or something."
BMW marketing guy no2: "And a stripe!"
BMW marketing guy no1: "You're a genius, Klaus, we should design cars instead of these CAD nerds."

Marketing guys high five each other, while designers silently weep. Fade out, the end.

One thing I do find kind of funny is that people now appear to have expectations for sounds of cars that don't exist. Are people going to be severely disappointed with the VW once it too reuses a sample?
It's
It's 2014 not 2002 so yes, I will be disappointed if they reuse an inaccurate sample. Gotta keep the pressure up for a new sound package and what better way than to highlight the car sounds when the world's auto manufacturers are looking and trying to showcase their product.

It's
It's 2014 not 2002 so yes, I will be disappointed if they reuse an inaccurate sample. Gotta keep the pressure up for a new sound package and what better way than to highlight the car sounds when the world's auto manufacturers are looking and trying to showcase their product.

yeah, yeah, you're right, someone should hug you. but still: OFF TOPIC. now take your whinning about sounds to another thread, s'il te plait...

yeah, yeah, you're right, someone should hug you. but still: OFF ON TOPIC....
It's a thread about disappointment in the BMW VGT. I happen to like the car but I'm disappointed in the sounds..on the BMW VGT...which is the topic of this thread.

BMW-Vision-Gran-Turismo-2013-GT-6-Video-Trailer-PS3-Playstation-3-655x472.jpg

cerealspit.png

bmw-vision-gt-01.jpg

t6c3901_t6a8f7b_rage-guy-meh-face.gif

I mean it's still looking good, but just nothing compared to the sketches.
And the car's back is kinda ugly in my oppinion.

I'm glad that we didn't get another futuristic boat.
Agreed. With 20+ VGT's in the pipeline a little variety is welcome. From conservative, as this car is, to wild and crazy like I'm sure many of them will be.

The first sketch was made by a different artist. Look at the signature.
I have no idea why they decided to change the artist and not change the image.

Mercedes showed a lot more sketches made by different artists.

The first sketch was made by a different artist. Look at the signature.
I have no idea why they decided to change the artist and not change the image.

That's a good point, it explains why they are similar but, different. I can imagine the BMW designers were issued a brief internally... taking the existing 2 series, and make a modern day equivalent to the 70's CSL Batmobile and Grp5 Turbo 320's.... a brief which both that sketch, and the finished product would meet.

But, bare in mind the sketches are just that... they were never intended to say right this is exactly what we're going to make.

Last edited:
That's a good point, it explains why they are similar but, different. I can imagine the BMW designers were issued a brief internally... taking the existing 2 series, and make a modern day equivalent to the 70's CSL Batmobile and Grp5 Turbo 320's.... a brief which both that sketch, and the finished product would meet.

But, bare in mind the sketches are just that... they were never intended to say right this is exactly what we're going to make.

Mercedes-Benz made the exact same car that was shown on their picture though. Two cars even. =)
Of course some sketches are very sketchy, so we will definitely see some differences, but with the BMW, the main difference is that they showed a completely different model in the beginning.

I'm not disappointed though, it's still a very sweet car!

bmw_vision_gran_turismo_by_gt6_garage-d7iivgq.png

For a modern car, it feels "old".
I used to have a BMW 2002 (back in the '70)
As long the road was dry, it was heaven to drive.
In the rain you really had to watch out :D

This Vision feels almost exactly the same.

So yes, I like this car, bumper cam on and imagining driving the good old 2002 !
Nostalgia ...

For a modern car, it feels "old".
I used to have a BMW 2002 (back in the '70)
As long the road was dry, it was heaven to drive.
In the rain you really had to watch out :D

This Vision feels almost exactly the same.

So yes, I like this car, bumper cam on and imagining driving the good old 2002 !
Nostalgia ...
I think that was BMW's intent with this car. I think they wanted it to hark back to the 2002 and the 3.0 CSL racing car of the old days while having a gorgeous modern appearance.

Anyone feel the car BMW gave is exactly the racing version? Mercedes-Benz AMG's concept came with SH tires, so it was intended with the idea of a sports car. The AMG's racing version however, comes with RH tires, so it's meant for the track.

BMW's however came with RH tires. I'm surprised. The project has grand tourer in mind, but maybe BMW lost the idea and went with a racing concept. Or maybe they are making a sports counterpart as well.

Anyone feel the car BMW gave is exactly the racing version? Mercedes-Benz AMG's concept came with SH tires, so it was intended with the idea of a sports car. The AMG's racing version however, comes with RH tires, so it's meant for the track.

BMW's however came with RH tires. I'm surprised. The project has grand tourer in mind, but maybe BMW lost the idea and went with a racing concept. Or maybe they are making a sports counterpart as well.
It has racecar downforce, racing tires and turns GT500 speed laptimes at Nurb GP/F...if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

One thing I do find kind of funny is that people now appear to have expectations for sounds of cars that don't exist. We didn't even know the BMW was going to turn out the way it did so what the hell was anyone expecting in regards to the sound?

Are people going to be severely disappointed with the VW once it too reuses a sample?

I'm not bothered if the VW reuses a sound if it's a good one. You would have thought PD could have used one that was better for the BMW than the one they did. The Mercedes wasn't bad (for Gran Turismo). Hopefully they won't reuse the sound of the Sirocco as that is as pretty horrible (admittedly I'm remembering the GT5 version as haven't bothered buying the GT6 one).

Maybe all these sounds will come alive when they make this somewhat mystical "breakthrough" (turn the engine/exhaust up!). PD could even just give us the option to set our own volume settings like other games have been doing for many years.

Anyway. All the VGT's would be improved hugely if they weren't semi premium models.

LOL. I just ran the Nurburgring 24m in it. I came in 3rd...

First time I've ever lost there. What did they use to tune the suspension? A sledgehammer?

It is a fairly bland and 'current' car for a vision concept, doesn't really offer anything new or revolutionary, no real 'vision' of the future so to speak.

I see there are already hacked versions of it online. Saw one lap Spa in under 2mins online last night.

I was lapping Brands Hatch 2 seconds faster than the rest of the room due to my tune. I haven't tried Spa yet, but I will now. What time was everyone else doing?

BMW-Vision-Gran-Turismo-2013-GT-6-Video-Trailer-PS3-Playstation-3-655x472.jpg

I mean it's still looking good, but just nothing compared to the sketches.
And the car's back is kinda ugly in my oppinion.

I think this is the evidence for the VGT delays - It looks to me like BMW changed their minds on what they wanted to deliver, that gap would explain why we got a second Merc and why the VW is coming so soon after the BMW.

I CAN'T WAIT FOR TOMORROW!!

Back