A critique of the whole racing genre by Raycevik

• Thread starter marioho
  • 42 comments
I have had a similar idea, mine starts in America in the late 1980s. The best way I can describe my idea for the campaign would be elements of Racedriver Grid meets NFS Most Wanted.

I agree with everything said here, I have yet to buy the latest Console generation because of this very reason. I am glad my feelings are shared by many others honestly.
Yeah I think you could do a similar narrative in California in a variety of decades. 50-80s, 80s-2010s, etc. Start off in like Bakersfield or Fresno in the 50s (American Graffiti) doing street drags or motorcycle racing (Steve Mcqueen made a living winning motorcycle races while getting into acting) and then you have more sanctioned drag racing in the 60s the golden era of American circuit racing in the late 60s early 70s (Trans Am and others). I like the idea of a period-correct racer...but it's nice if there are multiple periods included in the title so it doesn't feel arbitrary.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought most of what's covered. Now, I only speak for myself, and I am a proven idiot, but I've had my fill of simulators, I want a game. I don't need tires that have been analyzed and adjusted to flex, I need cars that simply react. I don't need ray tracing or molecular details, I just want a smooth framerate and a solid clean design. I don't want another 20 mile track, I'd be happy to screw around in Pacific City or whatever.
So many "advancements" that do nothing have put me off for years. I've not bought any racing games new in 5+ years because I know they have nothing for me. I'm one of the old men who said GRID was the peak and everything since has not done the job, but again that's me. I've been ignored for as long, merely seen as someone who doesn't get it or doesn't want to, and to a point no. GT2 & 3 are favorites for different reasons, GRID 1 and Dirt 2, ProStreet and NFSU2, we had it great, but the shiny stuff took away from all that and now it's very shiny, but as deep as tin foil. In short, I want my fun back.

Yeah I think you could do a similar narrative in California in a variety of decades. 50-80s, 80s-2010s, etc. Start off in like Bakersfield or Fresno in the 50s (American Graffiti) doing street drags or motorcycle racing (Steve Mcqueen made a living winning motorcycle races while getting into acting) and then you have more sanctioned drag racing in the 60s the golden era of American circuit racing in the late 60s early 70s (Trans Am and others). I like the idea of a period-correct racer...but it's nice if there are multiple periods included in the title so it doesn't feel arbitrary.
I like this. Also partial to the "stuff an aircraft engine in the car and cross your fingers the dinky tires hold up" pre-F1 era myself.

I like this. Also partial to the "stuff an aircraft engine in the car and cross your fingers the dinky tires hold up" pre-F1 era myself.
I would kill for an F1 classics series of games made on the modern engines but focused on bringing old seasons and era's back to life, as much as licensing will allow.

I loved playing for example the Project Cars 2 DLC with the classic Le Mans circuit, making a grid with as much period correct cars as possible, got me hankering for the official F1 game to do something similar.

Give me season mode with tonnes of modern features but set in an old era, give me tracks of their time with appropriate sponsors and broadcast styles that resemble their times, I'm sure there's a ton of old Murray commentary archived from earlier games that could be dug out to add to it.

Be inventive, be nostalgic, take a risk with it. But we'll never see it because of that.

Last edited:
My unpopular opinion is that licensed cars (what "we" consider mandatory these days) are actually holding racing games back at this point.
As we see with latest GTA and CarXDrifting additions - its not a problem if you just use replicas without badge.

Its outstanding, that car manufacturers getting money and making "you-cant-do-it-with-our-car" restrictions for representation of their vehicles in 10-20million games.

I watched the video in the OP today and I agree with a lot of what he said. I feel like a lot of games are check the box type deals.
Livery editor ✔️
Photo mode ✔️
Huge licensed car list ✔️
Real world tracks ✔️
So on and so forth.Far too many racing games go out unfinished which happens to other types of games as well is avery big problem but I don't see that changing

Some follow up videos on this matter:

Last edited:
My unpopular opinion is that licensed cars (what "we" consider mandatory these days) are actually holding racing games back at this point.
I totally agree with this. Sadly, I think the consumers/gamers are not receptive to "fictional" cars even if the gameplay opportunities could be greatly expanded...especially if you consider the opportunities of AI...

A. iRacing doesn't have a legitimate competitor. Until it does sim racing won't grow as much as it needs to in terms of variety, price, and accessibility

B. Gran Turismo and Forza need new leadership. Kaz and Greenawalt need to step down. Their contributions to the genre have been invaluable, but at this point its obvious they are creatively bankrupt

Of course there's more, but to me thats the biggest problem at the moment

Back