A+ level driver, playing as B ranked

• Thread starter MrBrunoA
  • 111 comments
I've had someone purposely hit me multiple times in a race, and when I messaged him afterwards, he said it was because his ratings were too high and he wanted to go back down to get more wins. Then he said it is only a game?

Yes, you are right. It is 'only a game'. It is a game which EVERYONE should be able to enjoy. However I am pretty sure that other players enjoyment could be hampered if they do the best race of their life at a low rank (which is their normal rank), only to find out some really good driver can easily stay ahead and is at that rank purely for trophies. It is just demoralising for the other players surely? They won't be getting as much fun.

And yeah, you could say their fun shouldn't be limited to whether of not they win, BUT that is exactly what you are doing????

The guy that was hitting you is clearly in the wrong.

So tell me, when I got smashed backed to B/C through some bad races am I now not allowed to race in these ranks because I am too fast and it will "spoil" your fun?

What about IF I had just bought the game today, am I also not allowed to race the lower ranks and spoil those people's fun and must somehow magically get promoted to A/S where I supposedly belong?

Or what about about if PD loses all my online data and I must restart the whole thing over again am I not allowed to do that either for fear of spoiling someone's fun?

Here is an idea for you. What about look at this as a learning experience. If, by your own admission you will never get into the top ranks and so will never compete against these guys why not take the opportunity to watch and learn from them and have the chance to see how much better they really are (if at all!)

Honestly now, here is the stark reality, life is not fair, this game is not fair, the ranking and penalty system is not fair. Do I need to go on? Just play the game the way you want and learn to enjoy it for what it is. Or, round up some buddies and have your own private lobbies and do what ever you want. Then if someone is kicking your but just unfriend them and boot them out of the lobby ;-)

One last thought for you. How much fun do you think A/S players get when they keep getting matched with the same people in the top 10 on the leader boards? Should we complain and say it is unfair that we have no chance of winning against these "Aliens"?

So tell me, when I got smashed backed to B/C through some bad races am I now not allowed to race in these ranks because I am too fast and it will "spoil" your fun?

What about IF I had just bought the game today, am I also not allowed to race the lower ranks and spoil those people's fun and must somehow magically get promoted to A/S where I supposedly belong?

Or what about about if PD loses all my online data and I must restart the whole thing over again am I not allowed to do that either for fear of spoiling someone's fun?

Of course not. I'm talking about people who purposely end up at low ranks, not on accident. Duh.

Here is an idea for you. What about look at this as a learning experience. If, by your own admission you will never get into the top ranks and so will never compete against these guys why not take the opportunity to watch and learn from them and have the chance to see how much better they really are (if at all!)

One last thought for you. How much fun do you think A/S players get when they keep getting matched with the same people in the top 10 on the leader boards? Should we complain and say it is unfair that we have no chance of winning against these "Aliens"?

I am A+/S. I know what it is like to end up against the same people. I am at the top rank.
Please re-read my messages and tell me where I said I personally would never get into the top ranks? I was talking about other players. I used the phrase 'other players'.

The fact that you confuse hyperbole for facts clearly shows you haven't took onboard anything I said.

What you should do is try and get up the ranks as fast as you can to get away from those rankings quickly. And those are all accidental cases, not intentional like what you did.
Or, round up some buddies and have your own private lobbies and do what ever you want. Then if someone is kicking your but just unfriend them and boot them out of the lobby ;-)
You know, he's not speaking like that since he's a low rank. If anything, his rank is higher than all 4 of my accounts, and I'm an S driver myself on all of them. Know your place first :)
I can use your own argument here

There are too many assumptions being made about driver rank and skill. I'm mid A/S. Most of my races are with road cars on tracks I'm familiar with. I haven't raced in months. If I went on now, and started racing GR1 immediately, I'd be losing to B drivers. If I went out in a car I'm not familiar with-losing to B drivers. A track I don't know well? More losing. None of it would matter to me, because I know where I'm at. Who knows or cares what the people I'm on track with think?

Skills can be very specific. Some drivers stick only to what they know, others run a wider range. Some people are high rank and have time to play all day, every day. Some people have high rank and only race now and then. There are an infinite combinations of reasons why people's rank can go up and down, and how much they care about it.

So much ego gets wrapped up in 'I'm a B and beat an A+!!!!!' Maybe the A+ had a couple drinks, was tired, or just didn't care! Most people are just projecting their attitude and seriousness level onto all other drivers in the game, when in reality it's different for everyone. Just go race.

Of course not. I'm talking about people who purposely end up at low ranks, not on accident. Duh.

So please explain to me (and others) how you plan to police intent? Unless you find honest people (like me) that will freely admit to playing the game as it was intended.

I am A+/S. I know what it is like to end up against the same people. I am at the top rank.
Please re-read my messages and tell me where I said I personally would never get into the top ranks? I was talking about other players. I used the phrase 'other players'.

OK my error then, I assumed you were talking in the third person. So why so concerned then? How does any of this affect your "fun"?

The fact that you confuse hyperbole for facts clearly shows you haven't took onboard anything I said.

I have "took" (taken) on-board what you have said and explained to you how it does not resemble the reality of how the game is being played ;-)

So please explain to me (and others) how you plan to police intent? Unless you find honest people (like me) that will freely admit to playing the game as it was intended.

OK my error then, I assumed you were talking in the third person. So why so concerned then? How does any of this affect your "fun"?

I have "took" (taken) on-board what you have said and explained to you how it does not resemble the reality of how the game is being played ;-)

1) I don't have a plan to police it, I'm not authoritarian. It is just common decency for you to not do it.

2) It doesn't affect my fun but you do realise that we, as human beings, are able to criticise and care for things that don't personally affect us?

If you think that lower rank drivers can use the opportunity of being put up against you or other tankers, and then improve themselves, why can't you do the same when racing A or A+ people who are beating you?

(Too) many people do this, I think it's the answer OP was searching.

Last days I saw a driver that was 2nd stopping before the finish and letting pass all the others including me. Not the first time I saw it. Trophy hunters :(

I've done that, had nothing to do with trophies. A couple times I got so fed up with the broken penalty system that I opted to lower my DR a bit and play as DR.B so I don't get a penalty every time someone bumps into me. At max SR.S it doesn't make any difference for match making whether I'm at 28K DR or 35K DR, yet it makes (or made) a massive difference in how penalties work. Actually I'm preventing getting easy wins as those come after SR hits.

Really? i've never seen my DR drop more than 1-2 K for accidents on track (i've had race accidents also for more than 10 secs... DR/SR can Drop down a little but never reset!).
I think it happens only if, after some problems with other drivers, someone (maybe frustrated) start to push/bump/TryToKill someone else...
For that i've always thought that it's impossible to see DR reset if you don't start to be stupid on track..

Isn't it? may be i'm wrong and it happens also for stupids accidents?

Not done many sprint races on Monza? At DR.A it's easy to lose 30 SR there in one turn when you get caught in the middle. Two of those races in a row are enough for a DR reset.

Yet things must be getting better as I only lost 18 SR in one race from a messy T1 on Monza Saturday. Of course one more 10 sec penalty hit from hitting an unavoidable wreck would have pushed that up to 28 SR loss.

Last edited:
If your internet connection is really bad on a particular day, you can loose a tone of DR points with each disconnection.

Once I lost 10K points in 4 or 5 disconnections in a day (I was in 1rst in all those races since I had the top1 time in Europe). I had to make way over 20 races just to get to the same points I had before all that happened (because being DR S I was only getting 300 to 1000 points per race win). But as I was trying to recover my DR, I could have been disconnected a few more times and easily drop to DR A.

This things can happen and it has nothing to do with bad or strategic winning / losing behaviour.

It's simply stupid to get punished when you get disconnected while in Pole Position / 1st place.

*Martians
images (37).jpeg

Not done many sprint races on Monza? At DR.A it's easy to lose 30 SR there in one turn when you get caught in the middle. Two of those races in a row are enough for a DR reset.

Yet things must be getting better as I only lost 18 SR in one race from a messy T1 on Monza Saturday. Of course one more 10 sec penalty hit from hitting an unavoidable wreck would have pushed that up to 28 SR loss.

Yes... i know good how Monza is very dangerous for SR so.. i play on it only to have tests or to play FIA Races.... Never ever done daily races on it because i know that it's impossible to not lose DR/SR in multiple races...

Said that, i'm still on my opinion that, to see your DR reset, you need to be very stupid during a race... you can lose SR, you can lose 1.500 pts being last on finish line but... to reset and lose 15.000 points in a race you need to be stupid, doing silly things... (bumping/TryToKill others)...

Last edited:
Yes... i know good how Monza is very dangerous for SR so.. i play on it only to have tests or to play FIA Races.... Never ever done daily races on it because i know that it's impossible to not lose DR/SR in multiple races...

Said that, i'm still on my opinion that, to see your DR reset, you need to be very stupid during a race... you can lose SR, you can lose 1.500 pts being last on finish line but... to reset and lose 15.000 points in a race you need to be stupid, doing silly things... (bumping/TryToKill others)...
Nah. Sometimes you are DR A and just get swarmed by DRB and C players. The penalty system is a harsh 🤬 in these situations.

I had a DR reset that I am currently recovering from. I was at 35k and lost 20k in two races at interlagos last week. In two races I lost 63SR because of four instances on track. One was my fault where I lost my rear out of a corner and tapped a DRB as they passed by me (10sec penalty SRdown) and the other three were divebombs (5-10sec penalties for me, 3 sec penalties for them) they were over agreesive overtakes by the people behind me because it was a Sprint race. Each time I made contact with a DRB or C player I lost 15SR. Its really easy to get a reset:boggled:

Been noticing this for some time... super fast driver, alien level, in pole position, ranked DR B and competing in the same room with B, A and sometimes A+ drivers. Checked one guy's profile online and saw he went from a long run of being DR S to B all of a sudden and is now collecting easy victories. This is, imo, the worse offense to the concept of sportsmanship and should be punished by Polyphony, or at least it could be fixed by not allowing a S ranked driver to fall beyond a certain limit of A rank.

Why does someone with S/A+ level wants to compete with B players? Not only it's unfair but it will compromise the ranking system, as A drivers will lose DR points by coming behind a B driver. Thoughts?

Probably because like me everytime he thinks ill just try monza to see if it's improved he gets caught up in carnage and loses 15,000+ DR three times!!!

Nah. Sometimes you are DR A and just get swarmed by DRB and C players. The penalty system is a harsh 🤬 in these situations.

I had a DR reset that I am currently recovering from. I was at 35k and lost 20k in two races at interlagos last week. In two races I lost 63SR because of four instances on track. One was my fault where I lost my rear out of a corner and tapped a DRB as they passed by me (10sec penalty SRdown) and the other three were divebombs (5-10sec penalties for me, 3 sec penalties for them) they were over agreesive overtakes by the people behind me because it was a Sprint race. Each time I made contact with a DRB or C player I lost 15SR. Its really easy to get a reset:boggled:
ok i believe you.

never happened to me till now (hope it won't)

I don't think there can be much doubt that some people tank their ranks, there is far more B level drivers in the daily top 10's now than ever before. Of course, you'll never know whether someone has 'legitimately' downranked (through misfortune or mistakes) or not and to that end I would just accept it and move on. PD should have foreseen this perhaps and I feel that once you have an S rating as a driver you shouldn't so readily be able to lose it. Sportsmanship is a different thing but to me at least, I find it baffling that your ability as a driver (i.e how fast you are) is so intrinsically linked to how fair you are and can result in a reset.

And aside from everything else PD should have taken the Platinum trophy into the equation and the need for so many wins and PDs, downranking will possibly be the only way for some drivers to achieve it.

The ranking system needs to consider the amount of time, distance, experience and results at a particular circuit/car class combination and not carry ratings over comprehensively.

Just because I mastered Dragon’s Trail and can beat most everyone while cooking dinner doesn’t mean my A+ rating applies to Tokyo. This sort of ‘false overall’ rating is what’s frustrating. The ratings have no transparency.

Drivers should have to build up their rank for each track and car class. Leave the comprehensive rank to the currently pointless ‘Level’ statistic.

Here’s a couple thoughts on how you could approach drivers instead of this broad ranking we all currently get:

“He’s only ranked D/A at Suzuka? Well, he’s a level 45 player so he must not have raced here much.”

“This guy is ranked A/A at Nürburgring in GT3, but only a level 10? Must be a one track wonder.”

How difficult can this be to implement?

The ranking system needs to consider the amount of time, distance, experience and results at a particular circuit/car class combination and not carry ratings over comprehensively.

Just because I mastered Dragon’s Trail and can beat most everyone while cooking dinner doesn’t mean my A+ rating applies to Tokyo. This sort of ‘false overall’ rating is what’s frustrating. The ratings have no transparency.

Drivers should have to build up their rank for each track and car class. Leave the comprehensive rank to the currently pointless ‘Level’ statistic.

Here’s a couple thoughts on how you could approach drivers instead of this broad ranking we all currently get:

“He’s only ranked D/A at Suzuka? Well, he’s a level 45 player so he must not have raced here much.”

“This guy is ranked A/A at Nürburgring in GT3, but only a level 10? Must be a one track wonder.”

Or :
He's a D/A at suzuka and level 40? Monza was not his friend last night....

He's a A/A at nurb level 10? Must not have done the campaign mode...

The one I checked the stats didn't show any drop of SR, but maybe it's because SR can be gained back easily. Anyway, doesn't make sense to drop an A+ driver to B so sudden. It will affect the other players who are trying hard to win and improve their DR.

It happened to me, check my profile link and you can see I lost 40k+ DR in two races. I agree it's bad, it's not fun winning races against lower rank drivers just to get DR back, not to mention that one bad race can equal weeks of work for the affected driver. But since the latest patch the penalty system seems a little more forgiving so I believe the developers are working hard on improving it

I don't agree with that at all. A fast driver will learn to be fast anywhere much quicker than someone who is still struggling with the mechanics of the game and the intricacies of driving fast

DR is always lagging behind. I'm very good at Monza, won 5 races on Saturday, DR shot up.
I'm slow on Interlagos, started 17th every race last night, never made it past 12th.
It's just a continuous yoyo depending on what races are on as I race everything.

0gMc.jpg

That's my DR since Februari for 1270 races. It will never stabilize as I'm simply better at narrower tracks with faster cars (GR 1/2/3) while I fall behind on wide tracks with lousy track limits and slower cars (GR 4 / sports tires)

1) I don't have a plan to police it, I'm not authoritarian. It is just common decency for you to not do it.

So it's OK if the game knocks me down BUT it's not OK if I do it deliberately? Do I understand you correctly? And you do realise that the end result is exactly the same?

If you think that lower rank drivers can use the opportunity of being put up against you or other tankers, and then improve themselves, why can't you do the same when racing A or A+ people who are beating you?

I am really quite OK on this point. I win nearly 30% of all races entered and even get on the leader boards sometimes. I have learnt heaps by following some very fast people around. BTW by dropping my ranking I also learned some very important lessons too, like how to dodge cars at first turns ;-) And before the new updates, how to dodge lapped drivers who suddenly want to race me now that I am lapping them.

I don't agree with that at all. A fast driver will learn to be fast anywhere much quicker than someone who is still struggling with the mechanics of the game and the intricacies of driving fast

DR is always lagging behind. I'm very good at Monza, won 5 races on Saturday, DR shot up.
I'm slow on Interlagos, started 17th every race last night, never made it past 12th.
It's just a continuous yoyo depending on what races are on as I race everything.

0gMc.jpg

That's my DR since Februari for 1270 races. It will never stabilize as I'm simply better at narrower tracks with faster cars (GR 1/2/3) while I fall behind on wide tracks with lousy track limits and slower cars (GR 4 / sports tires)

Back