A+ level driver, playing as B ranked

• Thread starter MrBrunoA
  • 111 comments
Is it really easier to win in lower ranks? I mean, I’m A+, and all races I participate in are filled with B and C drivers. Some A, maybe 2 or 3 A+... I can’t see how getting in a lower DR is gonna help them.
Yup. SR's definitely an easier way to win, but if you tank your ratings way down you'll get more D-C class drivers. Those B-C class we see with us in the high ranks are just really unlucky with matchmaking.

Yes, it is hypocritical and I do think it was unfair of me to have such easy wins to get to S. I knew this, so I tried to get to S as fast as I can so I can do as little damage as possible. I do feel bad about it, and I'm sorry for that. However, yes I do have the audacity to criticize you because unlike me who tried to get out of the lower rankings as quickly as I can, you purposefully lowered your rankings. While the result is the same in the sense that we had unfair and easy wins, the means that we got that isn't the same and that's where you're worse.

If you're good enough to get wins, then why did you tank your ratings in the first place?

So I'm a dirty driver? Is that it?

I'm not being obtuse. Please, tell me how purposefully lowering your rankings to get easy wins is not worse than crashing someone else off to get easy wins. Because I really can't find a reason why that's the case.

Like I said in my first statement, while our result is the same, the means in which we did it is worse and your means is worse. You can flak me all you want for being a hypocrite, because I am, but what I won't stand for is you denying that you're in the wrong.

Just to play devil's advocate, it doesn't matter how fast or slow you get to DR.S. You're still taking 50k DR points away from people that worked hard for them. The way the DR formula works it is less damaging to lower your SR to get easy wins as you will take fewer DR points in that win. Take easy wins after a DR reset or on a new account and you take three times or more points away from each player to finish in front of.

Actually it doesn't matter if you win or not as the DR formula only calculates points on whether you finish in front or behind someone. You can't limit the damage to other people's DR no matter what you do. You could forfeit any podium finishes to at least not disrupt any battles for first to third place.

Btw I'm not going to hold back after my SR gets damaged. I'll take the 'easy' win, not so much for winning, more to be glad to be far away from further SR damage and not take any DR hits as well. PD made a flawed system with SR/DR matchmaking and how point calculations work. It's pretty dumb to punish high level drivers by putting them on pole in front of much slower drivers.

Just to play devil's advocate, it doesn't matter how fast or slow you get to DR.S. You're still taking 50k DR points away from people that worked hard for them. The way the DR formula works it is less damaging to lower your SR to get easy wins as you will take fewer DR points in that win. Take easy wins after a DR reset or on a new account and you take three times or more points away from each player to finish in front of.
But by trying to go there as fast as I can, I can limit the people I sap DR from to a minimum. 72 races to get to S means I affected ~800 (based on a Race B grid which I spend most of my time in) players, not subtracting the ones I play frequently with, compared to say 400 races to get to S, where I can potentially sap DR from more than 5000 players. I also kept my 50k DR, and didn't waste them by tanking my rankings to get easy wins.

That said, I apologize for taking some of your DR as well. We did do some races together
Actually it doesn't matter if you win or not as the DR formula only calculates points on whether you finish in front or behind someone. You can't limit the damage to other people's DR no matter what you do. You could forfeit any podium finishes to at least not disrupt any battles for first to third place.
I'll take that into consideration next time I find myself in a rank I shouldn't be in :)
Btw I'm not going to hold back after my SR gets damaged. I'll take the 'easy' win, not so much for winning, more to be glad to be far away from further SR damage and not take any DR hits as well. PD made a flawed system with SR/DR matchmaking and how point calculations work. It's pretty dumb to punish high level drivers by putting them on pole in front of much slower drivers.
Initially I thought that the system was good at keeping the fast but dirty people out of the top bracket, but now I'm also starting to resent the system since it would mean easy wins for these fast drivers that can't be bothered to race cleanly. That's not a punishment at all

Is it really easier to win in lower ranks? I mean, I’m A+, and all races I participate in are filled with B and C drivers. Some A, maybe 2 or 3 A+... I can’t see how getting in a lower DR is gonna help them.

It seems to be the lowering of SR that causes the weird match ups. As soon as I'd raised my SR back to S the match making was better.

But by trying to go there as fast as I can, I can limit the people I sap DR from to a minimum. 72 races to get to S means I affected ~800 (based on a Race B grid which I spend most of my time in) players, not subtracting the ones I play frequently with, compared to say 400 races to get to S, where I can potentially sap DR from more than 5000 players. I also kept my 50k DR, and didn't waste them by tanking my rankings to get easy wins.
l

Mathematically it is the exact same! If you take 400 races to get to S instead of 72, just means you finished in the back half affecting less players in each race while also giving some points to those that finish ahead of you. Of course if you do it the fast way you 'steal' less poles and fastest laps.

Tanking DR is giving points away, unless there's a reset and the points are permanently removed from the system. Actually when the DR up reset glitch still worked the people that abused that were the real Robin Hoods of the game :) Nowadays any DR reset only causes deflation, making A+ rank a little more exclusive with each reset. No need to remove the 75K cap, simply reset more people and it will keep getting harder to reach!

Anyway this whole DR system is pretty inconsequential anyway as match making looks at SR first. Max SR.S is not a big group, DR only matters when your SR is low (SR.B is 55%, SR.C is 25% of the player base) and there it gets reset... So full of contradictions :)

Why matchmaking works so weird:
of the 6.5% SR.S players.
D S 24,129 36%
C S 14,653 22%
B S 22,602 33%
A S 4,802 7.1%
S S 1,202 1.7%

Any time you're falling below 95 SR, high chance you end up with D/S and B/S players.
Those numbers are still further split down over 3 regions, 3 dailies and 2 FIA races. A room full of A/S is rare.

Mathematically it is the exact same! If you take 400 races to get to S instead of 72, just means you finished in the back half affecting less players in each race while also giving some points to those that finish ahead of you. Of course if you do it the fast way you 'steal' less poles and fastest laps.

Tanking DR is giving points away, unless there's a reset and the points are permanently removed from the system. Actually when the DR up reset glitch still worked the people that abused that were the real Robin Hoods of the game :) Nowadays any DR reset only causes deflation, making A+ rank a little more exclusive with each reset. No need to remove the 75K cap, simply reset more people and it will keep getting harder to reach!

Anyway this whole DR system is pretty inconsequential anyway as match making looks at SR first. Max SR.S is not a big group, DR only matters when your SR is low (SR.B is 55%, SR.C is 25% of the player base) and there it gets reset... So full of contradictions :)

Why matchmaking works so weird:
of the 6.5% SR.S players.
D S 24,129 36%
C S 14,653 22%
B S 22,602 33%
A S 4,802 7.1%
S S 1,202 1.7%

Any time you're falling below 95 SR, high chance you end up with D/S and B/S players.
Those numbers are still further split down over 3 regions, 3 dailies and 2 FIA races. A room full of A/S is rare.

This morning I tried race C until we got booted off of the server, I sure wish Sony could fix their issues. Anyway it was a 20 car field but on the pole was a A+/S driver followed by a couple of A's, B's, C's and D's. I am assuming they are pretty thin in the SR/S ranks in the morning with that big of a DR spread. But as I mentioned it didnt matter since we did not get to race anyway. 🤬🤬🤬:banghead::banghead::banghead:

This morning I tried race C until we got booted off of the server, I sure wish Sony could fix their issues. Anyway it was a 20 car field but on the pole was a A+/S driver followed by a couple of A's, B's, C's and D's. I am assuming they are pretty thin in the SR/S ranks in the morning with that big of a DR spread. But as I mentioned it didnt matter since we did not get to race anyway. 🤬🤬🤬:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Yeah off hours can be sparse. I had a race with only 9 people in the room (out of 16 slots), A/S (me) to D/B.... Disconnects happen all the time, having 20 people start the race is equally rare. Usually at least one person gets booted before the race starts. Luckily it's been quite a while since I've been disconnected, probably means my number is up soon :/

I don’t believe much people do that on purpose as A+ is very hard to get.

And doing that just to get easy wins just shows that their level should not be Top A or A+

I do see some low A+ (Like myself) going down to A due to disconnected during a race or because of a bad race... and the worst part is not going down the rating but the hard work of going up again!

A top A or A+ player get way less Dr points per race than a B or lower... the climb is tough so it makes me think that people can not be doing it just to get wins...

Sometimes even losing points with clean victories! Happened to me today because I got matched on a race with B/S and C/S players. Was not my fault neither theirs but I won from pole with over 12secs from second and lost 60Dr points.
Was it fair? NO!! Not for me and not for the other drivers... but that’s what we get...

Sometimes even losing points with clean victories! Happened to me today because I got matched on a race with B/S and C/S players. Was not my fault neither theirs but I won from pole with over 12secs from second and lost 60Dr points.
Was it fair? NO!! Not for me and not for the other drivers... but that’s what we get...

What a crock of crap!!! How do they think you can improve on that so you do not end up losing DR?

What a crock of crap!!! How do they think you can improve on that so you do not end up losing DR?

I'm absolutely sure it isn't supposed to allow losing DR if you win a race, but a couple of people now have reported it happening. It could just be a bug - maybe some part of the system thinks you finished 2nd for some reason.

Another way for it to appear that points are lost for winning is when you get disconnected or quit from the previous race. The rankings don't update until the previous race has finished, so a check of K' stats might not show it before entering the race where points appear to be lost for winning.

I'm absolutely sure it isn't supposed to allow losing DR if you win a race, but a couple of people now have reported it happening. It could just be a bug - maybe some part of the system thinks you finished 2nd for some reason.

Another way for it to appear that points are lost for winning is when you get disconnected or quit from the previous race. The rankings don't update until the previous race has finished, so a check of K' stats might not show it before entering the race where points appear to be lost for winning.

It’s just their currency system. The difference between her DR and others is huge. The way DR ranks work is making people trade points. I don’t think it’s a bug in the sense that the code is doing something wrong, I just think the concept needs some adjustment.

It must be a delayed result from a previous race. I once got disconnected at the start of a daily C at the half hour. Then I did the :40 race and the results of that had updated before the negative effects of the prior disconnected race came through. Which sucked as I gained SR on the :40 race yet capped at 99 then went down anyway when the disconnected daily C results came through.

You get a minimum of 1 point per car that finishes the race. I once had a glitch and was in front of a full D/S room, me A/S. I won with a large margin and got 14 points. 15 people finished that race.

It’s just their currency system. The difference between her DR and others is huge. The way DR ranks work is making people trade points. I don’t think it’s a bug in the sense that the code is doing something wrong, I just think the concept needs some adjustment.
He reverse engineered the whole thing and posted the formula for which DR is gained or lost. No one knows besides PD if he's 100% correct, but it's pretty accurate given that his calculations more or less align with jasguer's stats. I'm betting that it's the disconnected from the race variable that causes this

This was a very very bad day for me.

DR Drop.PNG

You get a minimum of 1 point per car that finishes the race. I once had a glitch and was in front of a full D/S room, me A/S. I won with a large margin and got 14 points. 15 people finished that race.

There is a small bug where I've seen people gain 0 points from another player, when the DR gap is a bit less than 40000. It behaves as if the code says somewhere: if dDR < 0 then dDR = 1, when it should be: if dDR < 1 then dDR = 1 ... not that it matters much!

I'm betting that it's the disconnected from the race variable that causes this

I dunno, I think it's pointing to a bug, but I'm just guessing. For a high level player a disconnect would lose many more points than a single win, no matter what the DRs were in the previous race. Losing 60 points is more like it thought someone else won. That's just a guess from the number of points lost... at ~54k DR there's still a few points to be gained from DR B drivers and it's about 160 pts per place, so maybe the correct score would've been a gain of about 100.

I’m not an advocate of purposefully tanking your ratings for wins, but i can’t blame them. There is a really bad middle ground in this game with matchmaking which basically means someone like me never wins. Admittedly I don’t race often in sports mode because of the time of day I can get on, but my experience as a high A is whatever my SR although usually at 99 I’m always without fail against A+ and usually top 10.

I don’t get the DR system either, last night in fia race mostly A+ say 12-13 and say 7 As, my door number was 15 so my ranking was at 15th yes? I finished 15th so not expecting to gain a pile of DR but I lost 500!, I don’t understand how, some behind me were A+ some in front As but the A+ drivers should beat me so how did I lose so many?

I dunno, I think it's pointing to a bug, but I'm just guessing. For a high level player a disconnect would lose many more points than a single win, no matter what the DRs were in the previous race. Losing 60 points is more like it thought someone else won. That's just a guess from the number of points lost... at ~54k DR there's still a few points to be gained from DR B drivers and it's about 160 pts per place, so maybe the correct score would've been a gain of about 100.
Ohh right :dunce:

It must be a delayed result from a previous race

I wasn’t disconnected this time.

Luckily I’ve not been disconnected for almost two weeks... I avoid playing on Friday nights and weekends because of that.

I did 5 B Races this morning.
First 3 I won and got average of only 100 Dr points per race.
4th one I got second against another A+ player and that gave me 50Dr points
5th one I got matched in a room with B and C Dr drivers, the room was smaller than usual, only 9 players. I won, got 3 stars in the end but lost 5Dr points.

Last edited:
I’m A+/S on my main and I have 3 Alt Accounts for when I want to relax or try and get into rooms with some friends. I have one account where I start in last place and practice moving through the pack as cleanly as possible to practice my overtaking. I’m sorry if this effects anyones experience in a negative way.

Crazy. It's definitely a flaw of the ranking system. Getting to A+ is so hard and such a slow process that once you've reached it you should stay there forever or at least take the same amount of time to be demoted to A. Once you have the skills, you won't lose them overnight.
I had that in 1 10lap races it was dirty lobby. S to C.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohh right :dunce:

I wasn’t disconnected this time.

Luckily I’ve not been disconnected for almost two weeks... I avoid playing on Friday nights and weekends because of that.

I did 5 B Races this morning.
First 3 I won and got average of only 100 Dr points per race.
4th one I got second against another A+ player and that gave me 50Dr points
5th one I got matched in a room with B and C Dr drivers, the room was smaller than usual, only 9 players. I won, got 3 stars in the end but lost 5Dr points.

Really sounds like some sort of bug with registering finish positions - we know they've had some problems with even showing the correct results at times!

My guess that the 60 point loss should've been a 100 point gain seems about right given your first 3 races this morning :)

Back