A Look at the Evolution of the Gran Turismo Series

Gran Turismo came a long way. It came from a pixelated racer that you would play at a local arcade, to a beautiful masterpiece with historical and popular cars racing on tracks together, and a career mode that people can sink hours into.

Now as GT Sport is coming close to its release, It looks very beautiful and has very detailed cars. Its giving me flashbacks of my days as a kid with my jaw dropped to floor watching the commercials to Gran Turismo 3.

The Franchise has come along way, and i thank Kaz, Sony, and PD for helping GT make up my childhood.

I only played GT5 and GT6 on the PS3, I didn't play the earlier ones since I was into other games at the PC at the time. I have a PS4 Pro now but no plans to get GT:S. Maybe GT7 at some point in the future, I don't know. For 2017 there will be a far better game out IMO. ;)

Graphically the jump between GT2 and GT3 was most impressive. I assume GT3 is where it all really started?

It really is quite astounding to see how far GT has come; regardless of your views about it as a game, PD, etc. I remember playing my first GT; GT2, and being quite simply mind blown, since it really shook things for me. It has so much with regards to content (despite it flaws, but if anything that's made it even more mind-boggling, with all the amazing stuff found in the Searching for Hidden Things Thread, hence why it remains my favourite and the best IMO. And when I played GT3 for the first time, I was mind blown again, thinking graphics couldn't get much better at the time. And even now, it still holds up remarkably well. So I thank GT and PD for creating some awesome games, and many happy memories.

I assume GT3 is where it all really started?

To be honest, it really did all start with GT1. Graphically every GT has been great on every system it's been on, but I think GT3 had a massive impact for many, given the jump visually, from 2 to 3 in such a relatively short amount of time. And aside from that, things were revolutionised from the start, with GT2 adding to the formula, and 3 shaking things up (in a good way IMO).

Personally I'm eager for GTS, as whilst it's a new direction for the series, I see a lot of GT3's intent, in the way the quantity has been reduced for quality, with a new(ish) formula, and visually it's another level, despite graphics/fps etc, not being my most important feature. Either way, will be interesting to see how things develop.

Last edited:
My favorite memory of the series is reading Egypt's automotive newspaper and looking at a really cool picture of a JGTC Supra. I then noticed that it was a photo of GT4 (had no idea there was a GT4). I called my mom and told her to get home early from work so that she can take me to buy the game.

The fact my tiny brain was fooled by that photo two generations ago still is remarkable.

I love looking at how it's changed. I've played all the games, and love all of them. I'm glad I have even though I was born in 99. And now I'm a huge GT fan, way more than I used to be in actually gonna preorder GTSport. I've never gotten a new GT game befor and I'm so excited!

Last edited:
It's been an interesting journey from driving a Hawaiian Blue Mini Cooper 1.3i around Tahiti Maze in GT2 to Toyota GT One around SSR11 in GT3 to Ferrari F1's around Spa in GT5. I support the start from scratch approach that GTSport shares with GT3, but I'm not sure if the new eSports direction of the series will appeal to me like the 1st-generation car collecting did.

Back