A new challenge

• Thread starter A.A.Z.
  • 41 comments
Have you ever seen a topic here in the GT2 section about the Max speed record? I assume you have. So there's a new one :) But don't click on the "report" button yet, because there's one regulation... The test has to be done in a standard Honda Life T :scared: Use the Max speed test course to determine the speed precisely. You can use any amount of laps. Don't forget a screenshot or a photo! :)
Here's mine:

153.33 km/h = 95.71 mph

LeGeNd-1
Well, no :) Because a bit of a slipstream will just max out its pathetic gearbox :) So there will be no point of trying harder :P

<3
What? You are acting like it would make any difference! :scared:

Last edited:
Well, no :) Because a bit of a slipstream will just max out its pathetic gearbox :) So there will be no point of trying harder :P

Okay then, just one more question, can I set the speed in a Time Trial? You know.....to avoid the dreaded Machine Test Bug.

Cool, I'm in. Watch out! I'm gonna blow you all away in my Life! lol

I'll get a time up tomorrow. Promise promise promis.

Last edited:
Here's my entry, hope this thread doesn't die out too soon.

97.12 mph which is around 155.4 km/h. Pretty fast for a 40-something HP car. I don't think you could reach 99 mph even if you break out of Motorsports Land. Going downhill maybe.

The funniest bit is on the bankings, this car is so tall and slow, it looks like it's going to topple over :lol:.

A 1997 Honda Life T (completely stock) has a top speed of 151 kph (I did that by breaking out of Motorsports Land).

If that's true, how come I got up to 155.4 km/h? I think you just got confused with the units, I said 99 mph, NOT km/h.

BTW I did a race last night with the Life on the Test Course to determine it's theoretical top speed, and by slipstreaming I got up to 108.14 mph (limited by gearing).

Because there is two models of Honda Life T : 1997 and 1998.
You took the 1998 one to reach 155 kph, I'm sure. The 1998 model produces 3 hp more than the 1997 model. Here is the explanation (I think)...

A 1997 Honda Life T (completely stock) has a top speed of 151 kph (I did that by breaking out of Motorsports Land).
Incorrect
If that's true, how come I got up to 155.4 km/h? I think you just got confused with the units, I said 99 mph, NOT km/h.

BTW I did a race last night with the Life on the Test Course to determine it's theoretical top speed, and by slipstreaming I got up to 108.14 mph (limited by gearing).
You could have just increased the base hp to get to know that :D

Because there is two models of Honda Life T : 1997 and 1998.
You took the 1998 one to reach 155 kph, I'm sure. The 1998 model produces 3 hp more than the 1997 model. Here is the explanation (I think)...
afraid not

I've just reached 156.6 km/h on my first try
at this in the 1997 model which I bought from Honda > Used Cars .

Next I will try the 1998 model to get me ranked up for it too :D
EDIT: Now that I've given it a shot I've reached 154.10 km/h

This might actually become a 2 car showdown ,
with each a separated record list. How's that A.A.Z. ?

Last edited:
If I just increased the base hp it wouldn't be fun :). Isn't the reason for this competition to find out the top speed of a stock Life? Although it's under slipstream the car is still technically stock, so it's quite an achievement (by the car, not me).

There's 2 Lifes?! I didn't know that, gotta check the used car lot...

I didn't know about the second Life (sounds weird) either. Maybe I should do the second board as well. As LeGeNd-1 said, the goal was to find the maximum speed of a stock Life, but I didn't wanna use the slimstreaming because that would just max out its gearbox. Though in the Max Speed test you can increase the speed a bit in the bend by driving through in a specific way, hence why loulou221 claimed that it had a top speed of 151 kph on a smooth road out of the Motorsports Land, which is less than my or LeGeNd-1's times.

Well the thing is, LeGeNd-1, if you visit the used car lot, it's like getting a second chance at life! Ha ha get it! :grumpy: okay....bad joke.

view_submsg-2.jpg

Well there it is folks. 96.12 mph. Quite the barn-burner, Iknow...:lol:

Funny thing is, I'm so used to GT4 nowadays, I actually sat there tapping the d-pad so I could steer (you can use both d-pad and analog for steering). Meanwhile, I'm not steering! Instead I hit a wall! So I could have had a faster time.

OH WELL....:LOL:

Last edited:
Well the thing is, LeGeNd-1, if you visit the used car lot, it's like getting a second chance at life! Ha ha get it! :grumpy: okay....bad joke.

attachment.php

Well there it is folks. 96.12 mph. Quite the barn-burner, i know...:lol:

The '97 model is less boxy ,thus it has less air-resistance characterics.
I Think it's lighter too. :mad:

Current records:
1997 model 156.6 km/h = ~97.33 mph

1998 model 154.10 km/h = ~95.77 mph

(converted my km/h records to mph by dividing them by 1.609)

YESSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
I got GT2 on my PSP!!!! (As well as Super Mario 64 and Mario Kart.. but California Speed still freezes :( )
My only complaint though is that it seems I can't get analog steering, it's always either steered all the way or going straight =/

so I'll probably be doing this.

<3
YESSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
I got GT2 on my PSP!!!! (As well as Super Mario 64 and Mario Kart.. but California Speed still freezes :( )
My only complaint though is that it seems I can't get analog steering, it's always either steered all the way or going straight =/

so I'll probably be doing this.

Awesome! Welcome here. Who says the GT2 community is dead? :lol:

Basically, you'll need to learn to tap your d-pad alot (rather than holding it) to get the right amount of steering.

Last edited:
Right, here's my second time, using the '97 Life.

98.57 mph/157.7 km/h

So, the old model beats the newer model. I don't think it's because the '97 model is lighter or more aerodynamic though, at these kind of speeds the weight/aerodynamic gains are barely noticeable (if any at all). The main reason is because of shorter gearings IMO. In the '97 model I'm already redlining when I reach 98 mph, in the '98 model however I could reach up to 108 mph or so.

Last edited:
Can we test it in a race? A bit of slipstream might help...

Wait a min. There's slipstreaming on GT2?? I never noticed it and I play the game like 3 times a week for like an hour, and I've been playing since I was like 8 when the game came out.

Well I guess you learn something everyday...:)

Yea there is slipstreaming in all GT games. In GT2 (and only GT2) you also have to be careful when following another car into a corner because it's also possible to lose your downforce, especially when you're in a car that is heavily reliant on aerodynamics like a full-kit racing car travelling at high speed.

This is because GT2 is the only game in which as you're behind a car, the car in front of you is 'using up' all the air, and you comparatively haven't got as much air keeping your car stable. Which means your braking distance has to be longer. Know what I'm saying? I'm not sure why GT2 is the only game that has this feature. MY opinion is the effect is too strong--not very realistic, but at least it's there because real-life racing does have this effect to some effect, just not as strong as GT2 portrays it.

Yup AAZ, gearing could certainly make that sort of difference. 👍

Last edited:
This is because GT2 is the only game in which as you're behind a car, the car in front of you is 'using up' all the air, and you comparatively haven't got as much air keeping your car stable. Which means your braking distance has to be longer. Know what i'm saying? I'm not sure why GT2 is the only game that has this feature. MY opinion is the effect is too strong--not very realistic, but at least it's there because real-life racing does have this effect to some effect, just not as strong as GT2 portrays it.
This is cool 👍 Never mentioned this though because of lacking the skills - always thought that the braking failures were caused by my bad driving :)

Yup, AAZ, gearing could certainly make that sort of difference. 👍
I guess it was LeGeNd-1 who said that :)

This is cool 👍 Never mentioned this though because of lacking the skills - always thought that the braking failures were caused by my bad driving :)

Yeah, that's one thing, you gotta brake super-early when following another car...like in teh World Cup where aerodynamics make a huge difference.

I guess it was LeGeNd-1 who said that :)

woops! :ouch::dunce:

Yup, slipstreaming has always been an integral part of GT racing. Back then I actually discovered it by accident. I was doing the Megaspeed Cup in GT1 and usually I just blow everyone away with my GTO, but for that one time I used the Viper GTS-R and I'm not in the lead for once. So I tucked in behind another car (undeliberately), and all of a sudden I got a massive speed boost! It's like I suddenly found a hidden nitrous button or something. So I researched it on the net, and found out it's called slipstreaming...

Since then I've been using it to outclass other more powerful cars in the straights. But in GT2, like Parnelli said, loss of downforce due to slipstreaming can be deadly in corners (Trial Mt. and Rome Circuit comes to mind). Most of the time the loss is very quick, you don't have time to react. Next thing you know you're heading for the grass/wall. Driving behind another car in GT2 is a skill in itself. I usually slipstream until before the braking area, then I pull out to regain some downforce and braking. Timing is crucial, and even then it still doesn't always work, but with practice you can become better.

I also like how in GT games the effect is not exaggerated visually. When you look at the later NFS games....oh my god....when you draft it looks like you're breaking the sound barrier (especially in carbon). Those of you who played NFS will know what I mean.

Yup, slipstreaming has always been an integral part of GT racing. Back then I actually discovered it by accident. I was doing the Megaspeed Cup in GT1 and usually I just blow everyone away with my GTO, but for that one time I used the Viper GTS-R and I'm not in the lead for once. So I tucked in behind another car (undeliberately), and all of a sudden I got a massive speed boost! It's like I suddenly found a hidden nitrous button or something. So I researched it on the net, and found out it's called slipstreaming...

Since then I've been using it to outclass other more powerful cars in the straights. But in GT2, like Parnelli said, loss of downforce due to slipstreaming can be deadly in corners (Trial Mt. and Rome Circuit comes to mind). Most of the time the loss is very quick, you don't have time to react. Next thing you know you're heading for the grass/wall. Driving behind another car in GT2 is a skill in itself. I usually slipstream until before the braking area, then I pull out to regain some downforce and braking. Timing is crucial, and even then it still doesn't always work, but with practice you can become better.

I also like how in GT games the effect is not exaggerated visually. When you look at the later NFS games....oh my god....when you draft it looks like you're breaking the sound barrier (especially in carbon). Those of you who played NFS will know what I mean.

I discovered slipstreaming by accident in GT1 also in the mega speed cup
and started to tune cars (only a little) just to see how fast they could go :D

And I know well what you mean by "Carbon Slipstreaming" and don't forget that nos looks like mach 17 :D

Hmm that explains why all these NFS dudes have been here in the past saying GT sucks cause you can't draft another car. :lol: It's supposed to be a subtle effect, until you're really going fast like in the Mega Speed. 💡

I'm not sure where I discovered it. I know it was in my GT1 days, too. Probably I read about it online since I used to read a lot in those days when I was new to GT.

You also gotta pay attention to some cars because even without a race kit, they've got a lot of downforce. The Shelby Series 1 and Vector W8 come to mind. Even tho you can't modify their downforce, when you look at their specs, you'll see they've got more than usual aerodynamics, which means to some extent you have to drive them like full racing cars.

I think the Shelby has like 0.34 and 0.53 front to rear downforce. might be wrong.

Last edited:
Yeah some cars come with more-than-usual downforce even when stock. The Lister is also a good example if I remember.

I know one car in GT1 that won't be affected at all by slipstreaming when stock tho. The RX-7 A-Spec when stock has 0.00 downforce front and rear, I'm not sure this is accurate though, because if it's true then the RX-7 could theoretically reach infinite speed (due to lack of air resistance)...

Which leads us to a question I've been dying to ask: what does the downforce values represent in GT? I'm pretty sure it's not the wing's angle of attack. I'm thinking maybe it's the drag coefficient. What do you guys think?

No. That's impossible for a car to have a zero value. That's another GT2 oddity. :indiff:

My take on those numbers are they represent downforce values, rather than drag. The reason is, many cars that have a typical, somewhat boxy or pedestrian-friendly body usually have low numbers...typically 0.10 to 0.15 up front and 0.19 to 0.25 in the rear. Cars with a sleeker appearance, small spoilers and wings will have higher numbers. And those with massive wings, front air dams and fender flares (full race cars) start with the highest numbers. If it were drag, the opposite would be true. Real-life cars with a lot of frontal area (which creates the most drag) have higher values than sleeker cars. 💡

But the numbers don't represent absolute real-life downforce values 100% accurately in my opinion, they are just PD's system of how airflow works within the game. They do resemble real-life, though, it's just not 100% accurate.

Last edited:
Back