A new direction for FM

• Thread starter ctdc67
  • 6 comments
United States
United States
A YouTuber Colteastwood mentioned that FM would be a long running game with periodic updates instead of the new game every two year way. I’m not sure if it will be a better way or not? What do you think?

It's way way way better, as long as periodic update dont cost the price of a game. And that's where the problem lies really.

Let's take FH for example, since FH3, they all feel like update of it for me, so having to just buy FH and then the car I want with dlc isnt bad as long as dlc are price correctly. If they release a game pass each year worth around 70 usd, there's no point really, it would be the same thing.

It's way way way better, as long as periodic update dont cost the price of a game. And that's where the problem lies really.

Let's take FH for example, since FH3, they all feel like update of it for me, so having to just buy FH and then the car I want with dlc isnt bad as long as dlc are price correctly. If they release a game pass each year worth around 70 usd, there's no point really, it would be the same thing.
The odds are it will be the latter, only $70/year isn't quite up to Microsoft's standards. That's the price for a single-user 365 subscription, with a multi-user one running $100/year.

Definitely prefer that it be supported for years with continuous updates / DLC rather than it being shelved by the devs for a newer iteration after a couple of years.

It also makes sense to go for longevity now with the way the gaming market has transformed. It'll be a game pass title that will financially benefit Microsoft by way of subscription numbers. The average consumer will be more inclined to give a game a try if the upfront cost is lower.

Forza Motorsport also needs to regain the confidence of its target audience. They need to build on this one.

Can’t say I’m familiar with this ColtEastwood bloke but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if this game adopts a live service model like Horizon 5 and GT7 do.

Generally, my main concern is that "live service model" seems to often mean

A) "we haven't finished half of the modes that were in the last game or planned by the release date so we will add them in later" - eg everything in The Crew 2; photo mode in every game from Grid to WRC and beyond; selling cars in GT7!
B) "we've taken out 200 cars from the last game just so we can add them in again later" - eg FH5
C) "we haven't finished much since the last GAAS finished, so we'll add some stuff in later like new tracks, cars, career mode, lobbies that works properly" - eg GT7.

Live service model should NEVER be adding core modes/content that should have been there on release.

I have no problem with live service where the vast majority would agree it is genuinely new content that wasnt expected at release, if released at what the majority would consider a reasonable price.

Adding old content happens whether it’s live service or not unfortunately. The end price per content is the biggy. I do like the fact that my leader board scores will matter for a decade…..

Back