A potential GT5 convert needs advice

• Thread starter deimos2567
  • 53 comments
Ok so I'm really agonizing over this decision and need some feedback (first world problems I know.).

I have been a Gran Turismo fan ever since the beginning and Had the first Forza and I must say it pulled me from GT4 for a while but I ultimately went back to it. Fast forward to now, I bought GT5 at launch and played it pretty religiously but recently my PS3 died for the THIRD time and I have lately been contemplating making a change. I have felt like I have topped out in GT and now have been finding it pretty bland and the seasonal events have been nothing but a comfort tire slip n slide. Looking at reviews and the car list I'm very compelled to buy the Forza 4 bundle. I'm just wondering if anyone out there has been in a similar situation as me and has been happy or regretted it. Also that wireless wheel looks kind of hokey to me is it any good?

I don't think you will regret switching to FM4. Consoles are getting older so I think you should pick up a Xbox 360, and a copy of FM4.

I haven't been in the same situation as you but I will say that I was addicted to the older GT's until I got FM2.

There are still lots of things to do in FM4, don't forget the DLC. If you want that I recommend you get a season pass but you still have to pay for the rest of the DLC after that.

As for racing wheels. The wireless Xbox 360 wheel isn't bad. Just make sure when you buy one it hasn't been through much use because the wheel bearings may go out.

Just take more time to look into Forza. Also there are some cheaper Xbox 360's out there which are older, but DO NOT buy a 4GB Xbox 360 slim since the things you are able to do in FM4 are limited because of such memory.

Hope that helps a bit, sorry but there isn't much I can say.

Being an old school GT fan, who has recently got a XBOX setup just for FM4, i can say youll definetly miss a lot of things. Night racing, rally, endurance, to name a few.

On the other hand, FM4 has a much better car list, carrer mode, sound, tire model... also, to name a few.

The driving experience is the almost same. Some like one more than the other, but after some fine tunning, youll manage to make FM4 cars behave a lot like GT5s.

Bottom line is, you wont regret it at all. Youll miss GT after a while, thats all. Right now, im playing GT5 online again, after 5 months of FM4.

I have never been able to get past the standard cars as I race from the cockpit, and the DLC is a joke. The single player element is really weak and honestly I don't find GT5 online to be that great either. Also the seasonals lately have been a letdown. They make them a challenge by simply forcing you to use terrible tires.

Ok so I'm really agonizing over this decision and need some feedback (first world problems I know.).

I have been a Gran Turismo fan ever since the beginning and Had the first Forza and I must say it pulled me from GT4 for a while but I ultimately went back to it. Fast forward to now, I bought GT5 at launch and played it pretty religiously but recently my PS3 died for the THIRD time and I have lately been contemplating making a change. I have felt like I have topped out in GT and now have been finding it pretty bland and the seasonal events have been nothing but a comfort tire slip n slide. Looking at reviews and the car list I'm very compelled to buy the Forza 4 bundle. I'm just wondering if anyone out there has been in a similar situation as me and has been happy or regretted it. Also that wireless wheel looks kind of hokey to me is it any good?

I have to say, it took me a while to get into Forza 4. Bought it at launch in October, the Xbox not long before that, tested it out some, didn't really like it all that much, went back to GT5, eventually got too bored of GT5 and gotten back into Forza 4 around February, and I've never looked back. And I've got to say, I mainly use the Wireless Speedwheel, it's a lot of fun, and pretty good for what it actually is. Now and then I try myself with the controller (have to with certain cars), but I seem to be unable to get used to the damn thing. I know exactly what I'm doing wrong, i.e. I go left and up when I want to steer left, same for going right and down when I want to steer right, and the car just doesn't go where I want it to go. I've tried to make a conscious effort to fix it, but I'm always falling back into making the exact same mistake. Maybe that's what years of playing with the PS3 controller did to me, I just can't get used to another controller. But even with my limited use of Forza 4, I much prefer it over GT5 now.

I guess another concern of mine is with horizon coming soon is support for Froza 4 going to go by the wayside? Horizon isn't something that appeals to me so I know if I get forza 4 I'll be sticking with it.

I guess another concern of mine is with horizon coming soon is support for Froza 4 going to go by the wayside? Horizon isn't something that appeals to me so I know if I get forza 4 I'll be sticking with it.

Horizon won't replace forza I garuntee that, I will be playing forza 4 until forza 5 comes out. Horizon is a totally different game to what forza is.

Bottom line is, you wont regret it at all. Youll miss GT after a while, thats all. Right now, im playing GT5 online again, after 5 months of FM4.

I switched to FM4 in February and haven't been back to GT5. I agree with Rodolpho...you will miss GT5 for about 8 hrs +/- 5 mins..

Ok another question after watching a video and heard a comment that concerned me. How exactly are the assists handled in the game? In GT5 I turn off everything except automatic gears and ABS. While watching a video someone said you cannot kill the racing line without switching to manual. Is this true? I'm not a big fan of assists grouped into certain skill levels instead of being individually controlled, not very sim like.

Not to worry. Each assist can be controlled individually with a few unimportant exceptions (Like when you're using full-assisted mode, and it sounds like you won't).

The only thing I miss from GT5 is night racing. Other than that Forza is a much better, overall, game.

Iv'e also been a long time GT player. Things I miss most from GT5 is night racing and tire smoke. Other than that I dont miss it much. FM4 is overall better with more to do in it imo.

The only thing I miss from GT5 is night racing. Other than that Forza is a much better, overall, game.

Iv'e also been a long time GT player. Things I miss most from GT5 is night racing and tire smoke. Other than that I dont miss it much. FM4 is overall better with more to do in it imo.

This. I was the biggest GT supporter until I really got into the Forza games. Forza doesn't have night racing, much tire smoke, or windshields....but I prefer it over GT5. I haven't touched GT5 in months.

Windshields would be missed but not a breaking point, tire smoke doesn't matter to me as I race from the cockpit and I honestly haven't done a ton of night racing. I know talking physics between the two games causes wars but based off my experience gt5 uses sticks of butter for tires. The seasonals using comfort tires are impossible to enjoy for me.

As far as physics go both games have good points and weak points. It's hard to really tell which game has "better" overall physics imo but tires is one part of Forza's physics that really excels. There isn't as many options for different grip levels like GT5 but you can really feel the tires in this game and where the point of breaking traction is.

Windshields would be missed but not a breaking point, tire smoke doesn't matter to me as I race from the cockpit and I honestly haven't done a ton of night racing. I know talking physics between the two games causes wars but based off my experience gt5 uses sticks of butter for tires. The seasonals using comfort tires are impossible to enjoy for me.

I used to think GT5 had better physics, but that was probably because I was more comfortable with the feel of the cars in the GT games...after years of playing them. I also think GT's tire physics are too extreme....comfort tires are like butter, but soft race slicks are too grippy. GT's medium sport tires feel about as grippy as Forza race slicks, and they don't change the car's PI....that bothered me a little.

It's a difficult question, but you have to ask yourself the better ones first.

1) Your very familiar with GT5, and the satisfaction it gives.
Have you ever played Forza?

2) Three PS3s have burned up on you. (wow)
Are you just tired of the hardware, and feel the Xbox will be more reliable?

3) Resources.
Are you torn between the two because you can only afford one?
( I'm not attempting to be invasive, it's an important question as gaming hardware is a decent investment.)

4) Requirements.
What do expect the game to deliver?
Are you ok with only 720p?
Do you mind paying for online services?

I have both, and enjoy both in different aspects.

GT5:
Night Racing
The sheer beauty of the graphics
Menu music (yah yah, but very relaxing)

Forza:
Awesome racing, love the A.I.
Better tire model
Better sound
Porsche

There are numerous things that bother me with both franchises.
I won't get into a laundry list, but here's a few.
Nurburgring:
GT5 got it right, Forza is way too wide.

Sounds: Forza got it right, GT5 well, lol.

This list could go on forever, and to be honest it's been beaten to death if you search.

Whichever platform you go with, buy a proper wheel.
I've had them all, and currently run the Fanatec CSR Elite, with the Clubsport V2 pedals.

Craigslist the box, spend the money on a wheel.

Now, I've not been in that exact situation, as I somewhat jumped ship with Forza 2. Back then, it was between GT4 and Forza 2, and later Forza 3 vs. GT 5 Prologue. By the time GT5 came around, I was already into Forza, quite a bit. With GT5's issues (well, the ones it had at launch and a few months afterwards), it felt great to move on to FM4.

Now, to me, it's a better game all around. It might be lacking in some areas in comparison, but I'd say that the overall experience is just a tad better. The car list, single player career mode, AI, damage model (both mechanical and visual) and the community features such as Rivals Mode, Storefronts, Car Clubs and such are quite a nice thing to habe. As is the ability to customize, modify and tune your cars more in-depth than GT5 allows you to. The sound is on an entirely different level, though - that's one part where the difference isn't relatively small, it's the one area, I'd say, where there's a day and night difference.

Things I'm personally missing are: The accurate Nordschleife (biggest one for me), Photo Mode (espeically with the Premium cars, FM4 doesn't look quite as realistic), night racing. In that order. I'm also missing some of the more 'exotic' cars from GT5, such as the RE Amemyia RX-7 and the High-End Performance G37. Quite dearly, actually.

With the upcoming Forza Horizon, DLC support for FM4 will likely end for the most part, but there's a whole darn lot to buy, as it stands.

One word of advice, though: Don't go into FM4 thinking too much about GT5's physics. It's best to get used to FM4's physics before comparing them, because being used to the GT physics could easily tint your view - quite a bit. I've read a lot of posts by people who've been so familiar with GT5's physics that they've considered FM4's to be bad, just because they aren't GT5's.

Last but not least, about the reliability of the hardware. I've had my fair issues with the PS3 myself, but I'm still on my very first Xbox 360 Elite 120GB, which I bought in mid-2007, Five years and it's still going strong - can't say the same thing for any Sony product I've owned since the PS1, aside from my trusty Walkman MP3 player :lol:

Well I only want one console because I just don't want the clutter of two systems. My major hangups are bluray and the fact that I'm already familiar with PSN and the PS3. Also I know that at this time there really isn't any news of either of the consoles being replaced but I'm sure it'll be on the horizon. Also the fact that I have gone through 3 PS3s is alarming to me and sparked this whole interest in a 360, now granted my first ps3 lasted about 4 years and these last two that died were refurbs and FATS at that. I have no idea what the newer slim PS3s reliability record is but I have heard that newer 360s have a far better reliability rate. Oh man it's so hard for me to make a decision like this as I fear either way I'll feel regret.

Forza 3 was my first Forza, ultimately GT5 was a better sim and had better online features so I stuck with it and eventually I lost my 360 anyway. However, Forza 4 has made some large improvements and retains some of Forza 3's features that are sorely lacking in GT (namely liver editor). I still don't have an Xbox, so I don't own F4, but I've tried it. The physics do seem better than GT, especially tires and suspension. I've always felt that Forza's car list has been 10000000 times better than GT's.

I'm planning to get another 360 and get F4, and I doubt that I'll regret at any point.

A true gearhead appreciates them all: Forza, GT, Dirt, NFS, Grid etc. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. Keep both, never dump one for the other. Make it fun for yourself.

Ok another question after watching a video and heard a comment that concerned me. How exactly are the assists handled in the game? In GT5 I turn off everything except automatic gears and ABS. While watching a video someone said you cannot kill the racing line without switching to manual. Is this true? I'm not a big fan of assists grouped into certain skill levels instead of being individually controlled, not very sim like.

Don't worry, there are preset difficulty levels but you can also tailor the assists to what you want. You can turn off the racing line and race in auto.

A true gearhead appreciates them all: Forza, GT, Dirt, NFS, Grid etc. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. Keep both, never dump one for the other. Make it fun for yourself.

In the case of FM4 vs. GT5, I disagree. I gave GT5 so many chances but I find it to be a game that doesn't want to be enjoyed.

Sure, it has things Forza doesn't like time change/weather (only on a few tracks, sadly), NASCAR, rally, Super GT, etc. but these are such shallow and inconsistent features that they really don't matter to me. I don't play GT5 at all anymore and I don't regret it one bit. FM4 runs circles around it in my opinion.

Nurburgring in GT5 is the only thing I'll say it has over FM4.

In the case of FM4 vs. GT5, I disagree. I gave GT5 so many chances but I find it to be a game that doesn't want to be enjoyed.

Sure, it has things Forza doesn't like time change/weather (only on a few tracks, sadly), NASCAR, rally, Super GT, etc. but these are such shallow and inconsistent features that they really don't matter to me. I don't play GT5 at all anymore and I don't regret it one bit. FM4 runs circles around it in my opinion.

Nurburgring in GT5 is the only thing I'll say it has over FM4.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but Nurb is in FM4. i just wish you could race on it, and not just in leaderboard trials.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but Nurb is in FM4. i just wish you could race on it, and not just in leaderboard trials.

I think what he's saying is the Ring in GT5 is more accurate than the one in FM4. The FM4 version of the Ring is not as accurate and is extra wide....Turn 10 says to make for better racing.

I think what he's saying is the Ring in GT5 is more accurate than the one in FM4. The FM4 version of the Ring is not as accurate and is extra wide....Turn 10 says to make for better racing.

Exactly. Sorry for not being clear.

I would suggest keeping both going if you can, though i've always been a bit of a multi-format guy, snagging the best titles exclusive to each platform. I've had my PS3 for two years and mainly got it for GT5, having followed the series since GT but I joined Playstation Plus and got a ton of other games by various means.

However, much as I love GT5 I'd played it to death and the DLC really has been a little patchy...I had Forza 1 on the old Xbox and it distracted me for a while, and was won over by the allure of the cars (OMG the cars) in FM4 and the DLC which has followed, so recently got a 360 pretty much just for FM4. For the record, I got the 4GB model kinda for free with my mobile phone contract, but recently upgraded the HD to 320GB, some sort of upgrade is indeed a must.

Anyway i'm having a blast with it. Personally i think the feel is very different to GT, in some respects it's easier, in others less forgiving (you will trade paint big time) and as for the grip issue, it's actually less forgiving than GT in some ways, in that you are more likely to spin the wheels or spin off...the tyres hold on and on and then just...go. But that's great fun too.

It's also arguably a little easy at first, My advice is if your car qualifies for an event but it suggests it needs upgrades, decline, and run it stock. You will have much more fun with a lesser car (on medium difficulty at least) than something with equal performance, though it does become a little tortoise-and-hare, in that you'll get mugged on the straights but come right back at them on the corners.

Oh and the sound. I still maintain it's less realistic than GT but heck, it's way more exciting. You will LOVE the sound.

Back