A potential GT5 convert needs advice

• Thread starter deimos2567
  • 53 comments
IMO Forza is much better. Sound, car list, feel of racing, and the ability for you to make custom liveries is very, very fun. But we had to sacrifice no night racing.
I've been a GT fanboy since forever and I'm not turning back unless GT6 is better than FM5 or something. Buy it.

Well I decided today to switch to Forza 4. I just found out that all my progress in gt5 is lost because ps3 locks hard drives to specific units and my backed up save got erased off the usb drive so if I'm going to start off fresh, it's going to be on a new experience.

Sounds like a good decision. Definitely what I would have done. Why dish out a bunch of money on the samething ive had for a long time already. The 360 can be had a bit cheaper than a PS3 as well.

Well anyhow. Enjoy your new experience. I think you'll enjoy it.

Now I just new to figure out what to buy to get started. I guess I need a membership. How does dlc work? I saw something about a season pass covering most dlc but not all.

I think what he's saying is the Ring in GT5 is more accurate than the one in FM4. The FM4 version of the Ring is not as accurate and is extra wide....Turn 10 says to make for better racing.

You are right as usual. I just meant that I'd love to race the ring in FM4 as an "event" in classes. (unless there is one and I missed it)

My fault for not making myself clear...

I think what he's saying is the Ring in GT5 is more accurate than the one in FM4. The FM4 version of the Ring is not as accurate and is extra wide....Turn 10 says to make for better racing.

I agree, I can't get near the times on FM4 Nurb than I can get on GT5 Nurb with the same car and HP etc. But they are both still fun, but prefer GT5 Nurb.

Now I just new to figure out what to buy to get started. I guess I need a membership. How does dlc work? I saw something about a season pass covering most dlc but not all.

Well you need a gold membership to play and access the online feature

The season pass will cover you from the November to April pack BUT you will need to buy the rest including the launch pack, VIP pack, Porsche Expansion pack, and the last monthly packs

While Turn 10 have said that it's not entirely true, at least not solely on their behalf.

The Nurburgring wasn't modeled by them at all, it was an asset acquired from Bizarre Creations when they were under the MS Game Studios umbrella, and I'm seriously beginning to suspect the F40 was an acquired asset as well but that's neither here nor there.

Hello everyone

I'm also a GT5 fan thinking of getting Forza 4, however in my case I'm not getting rid of GT5.....it's more like getting the best of the 2 worlds :cheers:

I already have a playseat and a G27 wheel, so I'm thinking it's gonna be a $400 investment....$150 for the xbox, $200 for a fanatec wheel and $50 for the game.

I'm considering it mostly because of the car selection (much better than GT5), liveries and rivals mode which seems to be a lot of fun.

However my question is....Is there something like GT5 time trials and ghost laps in F4??? To me that is a must have.
I love doing my own comparisons (Top Gear like) to see if an Audi S4 is faster than a BMW M3 around a track using my own ghost laps.

To me I guess that simple question is worth the $400 investment. :odd:

You can run hot laps but not sure there is a personal leaderboard as there is in GT (though it is very flawed in GT, only 10 entries and you can't delete them individually)

All i've seen in FM4 is a global leaderboard which I guess only comes with the gold membership. Also every single car up to my position was the same model (458 on the test track) which I think was a bug.

You can run hot laps but not sure there is a personal leaderboard as there is in GT (though it is very flawed in GT, only 10 entries and you can't delete them individually)

I don't really care about the leaderboard....I keep track of my times in excel.:lol:

I was reading something about time attack....is that an actual mode in the game where you compete against your own times??? Are you able to load ghost laps of other cars??

You are able to race against other players ghosts but I think they have to had been in the top 100 at some point. If they have the paperclip in the leaderboard then you can race their ghost.

There is no time attack mode. Just a hotlapping section.

I guess I'll see it myself.....

Yesterday I had a great idea!! 💡
I remembered I have a spare 32" LCD TV which I just sold for $180.....later today I'm buying a used xbox 360 for $150....so the remaining $30 plus a $50 gift card I have, will buy me the collector's edition game!!

Now I just need to order the fanatec csr wheel and yyeahhh babyyy!! :D

Question on DLC, the cars contained within the packs, do they merely appear in the game for purchase or do they go right into your garage or whatever forza's term is for it?

Question on DLC, the cars contained within the packs, do they merely appear in the game for purchase or do they go right into your garage or whatever forza's term is for it?

Once you get a car pack, you have to buy the cars with in-game credits if you want to customize/tune them. If you just want to drive them stock, they'll appear in arcade mode.

Ok now that brings me to a question for owners of both gt and forza. How are the cara priced in game compared to gt? I find the 20 million credit cars to be absurd along with basically any race car.

Cars are priced pretty well, I think the most expensive is the Ferrari 250 GTO at 5-6 million I think, and you win lots of good cars by levelling up.

Ok that's pretty good then. One thing I dreaded about gt5 was grinding the same boring races to build up ridiculous amounts of money for cars. It felt more like work than anything.

E28
Cars are priced pretty well, I think the most expensive is the Ferrari 250 GTO at 5-6 million I think, and you win lots of good cars by levelling up.

It's actually 10,000,000. :P

When GT5 first came out, the economy was a nightmare. Races didn't pay enough and the car prices were higher than in any other previous GT game. And waiting for a car you want to show up in the UCD didn't help either. This caused a lot of people, myself included, to resort to duping to get our cars in a more bearable way. It's better now since seasonals pay a lot. But the credit limit being at 20,000,000 still can be a problem. For example, if you're waiting for cars to show up in the UCD that almost reach that limit like the 2D, 2J, and GT40, you can't buy anything until they appear, which is annoying and is a problem if another car you want shows up.

I love how Forza's economy works. Granted, you actually have to race to accumulate a lot money. It's not like in GT5 where the game can literally earn you buckets of money when you can't play thanks to remote racing, but that involves a lot of waiting to get the best out of it. I think Forza is much more generous game than GT5. It offers good prize cars and gives you money for leveling up. Manufacturers pay you for driving their cars all the time. You get money the more time you spend in a Rivals event. You are rewarded for making the game harder for yourself. But my most favorite thing out of all this is that you can upgrade any car from a manufacturer for free if you drive their cars enough, which can be done in a short amount of time.

Ok so I'm really agonizing over this decision and need some feedback (first world problems I know.).

I have been a Gran Turismo fan ever since the beginning and Had the first Forza and I must say it pulled me from GT4 for a while but I ultimately went back to it. Fast forward to now, I bought GT5 at launch and played it pretty religiously but recently my PS3 died for the THIRD time and I have lately been contemplating making a change. I have felt like I have topped out in GT and now have been finding it pretty bland and the seasonal events have been nothing but a comfort tire slip n slide. Looking at reviews and the car list I'm very compelled to buy the Forza 4 bundle. I'm just wondering if anyone out there has been in a similar situation as me and has been happy or regretted it. Also that wireless wheel looks kind of hokey to me is it any good?

Ok, I haven't read any of the FB other members have posted, but here are my 2:

I had been a religious GT fan, until I saw FM2 in action. Kinda went back to GT4/5 for a while, until FM3 made me drop my jaw all the way to the floor. I did however, continued to play GT5 now and then.

Then came FM4, and oh my Lord... GT5 has been collecting dust ever since!

The first thing that's going to immediately blow your mind is the tire model, suspension physics, and g-forces you feel coming into and going out of corners. I know it's not an actual simulator, but once you get lost in it, it IS the closest thing you're going to experience shy of actually driving a really fast car.

Then, the engine sounds... get ready for this, because FM4 delivers engine sounds like you've never experienced before.

The wireless wheel is OK. Get a fanatec CSR Elite intead, along with the pedals. Make sure you get the latest update, as that allows you to use 900 degs of rotation with steering AND counter steering.

Cheers mate, hope this assists you in making up your mind.

GET FM4 today, you will NOT regret it.

Oh and yeah, I forgot to mention the stellar car list and post release DLC!

Also, the events list is superb, once you complete World Tour.

Can't speak for MP, as I don't do that kinda thing, but I hear Rivals Mode is a lot of fun.

Ok, I haven't read any of the FB other members have posted, but here are my 2:

I had been a religious GT fan, until I saw FM2 in action. Kinda went back to GT4/5 for a while, until FM3 made me drop my jaw all the way to the floor. I did however, continued to play GT5 now and then.

Then came FM4, and oh my Lord... GT5 has been collecting dust ever since!

The first thing that's going to immediately blow your mind is the tire model, suspension physics, and g-forces you feel coming into and going out of corners. I know it's not an actual simulator, but once you get lost in it, it IS the closest thing you're going to experience shy of actually driving a really fast car.

Then, the engine sounds... get ready for this, because FM4 delivers engine sounds like you've never experienced before.

The wireless wheel is OK. Get a fanatec CSR Elite intead, along with the pedals. Make sure you get the latest update, as that allows you to use 900 degs of rotation with steering AND counter steering.

Cheers mate, hope this assists you in making up your mind.

GET FM4 today, you will NOT regret it.

Which firmware version is that? 900 on Forza works better now?

While Turn 10 have said that it's not entirely true, at least not solely on their behalf.

The Nurburgring wasn't modeled by them at all, it was an asset acquired from Bizarre Creations when they were under the MS Game Studios umbrella, and I'm seriously beginning to suspect the F40 was an acquired asset as well but that's neither here nor there.

Correct.

However, Turn 10 did comment that they've generally made every track wider and bigger than it was in FM3.

BODHI85, as long as you get the latest title update, along with a firmware update for the Fanatec CSRE, you're all set. 900 deg rotation on steering and counter steering! :D

Back