A Question for the Drift Gods...

• Thread starter DarkED
  • 36 comments
I dont get how all of you dk's (Drift Kings) of gran turismo get your cars on such an angle and not have the car come to a stop. Everytime i try it i have to use the handbrake to get that angle but it'll skid and come to a stop or i'll tap the handbrake and get a little bit of an angle on the car but it'll aline its self up again, still no good. I dont use driving aids and my settings are pretty similar to the D1GP cars but its not working out right. I use N1 tyres, a spoiler for downforce (30 front, 0 back) and sometimes get the settings from the posted settings list which contain all different cars.

Can anyone tell me more suggestion on how to keep the drift sliding?
Be very thankfull if anyone can help so i can get it right.

Chris...:sly:

That's the problem. Not enough grip, and too much downforce. You basically want to set the car up for grip, very neutral. Not super oversteery, nor understeery. A little in either direction is fine to balance the natural feel of the car. Some are just plain understeery, others are very oversteery. Go back to basics. Use stock cars with about 270-320 hp and N3, or N2 minimum. Don't mix tires, don't adjust any settings. Just add a little power if needed, and depending on a car add a 1.5 or 2way lsd. Be agressive, use a variety of techniques. Don't just do the same thing everywhere. Get good at not using the brake, but initiating into a corner at full throttle. Doing this, you will need to enter earlier and concentrate on your steering and throttle work. Practice, practice, practice. Watch how the pros do it and try to replicate what they are doing while developing your own style. You won't be able to get anywhere close at first, but if you want to be good, you will keep trying until you can do what they are doing.

Well, since we're on the subject of a S2000. Earlier tonight I was doing some drifting with the Amuse R1 Titan S2000 and it was drifting pretty nicely for a touge car. This car has been featured on Best Motoring I think. Good to drift if u use different compound tires for the nice angles. Here's some pics I took today.

No need for tire mixing, this car does pretty good stock.

That's the problem. Not enough grip, and too much downforce. You basically want to set the car up for grip, very neutral. Not super oversteery, nor understeery. A little in either direction is fine to balance the natural feel of the car. Some are just plain understeery, others are very oversteery. Go back to basics. Use stock cars with about 270-320 hp and N3, or N2 minimum. Don't mix tires, don't adjust any settings. Just add a little power if needed, and depending on a car add a 1.5 or 2way lsd. Be agressive, use a variety of techniques. Don't just do the same thing everywhere. Get good at not using the brake, but initiating into a corner at full throttle. Doing this, you will need to enter earlier and concentrate on your steering and throttle work. Practice, practice, practice. Watch how the pros do it and try to replicate what they are doing while developing your own style. You won't be able to get anywhere close at first, but if you want to be good, you will keep trying until you can do what they are doing.

No need for tire mixing, this car does pretty good stock.

Well I used the different tires to get the extra angles to make the photos nicer. If I wanted to use the same compound then I would get less angle and that wouldn't make the photos look nice. The s2000 only had 344hp and it makes it hard to drift those angles without more power using the same compound. S2000 drivers should agree with me on this. Besides, the photos were for show.

Well I used the different tires to get the extra angles to make the photos nicer. If I wanted to use the same compound then I would get less angle and that wouldn't make the photos look nice. The s2000 only had 344hp and it makes it hard to drift those angles without more power using the same compound. S2000 drivers should agree with me on this. Besides, the photos were for show.

Mixing tires will give you a different feeling from using the same tires. Sure that the N1's in the rear will let you break the traction faster than the N2's but it isn't going to be the same grip through out, like Suzuki said
You basically want to set the car up for grip, very neutral. Not super oversteery, nor understeery. A little in either direction is fine to balance the natural feel of the car. Some are just plain understeery, others are very oversteery.

Even for show, it isn't right. I believe that D1 Drivers don't mix tires for show, they all go through the same compound on both the front and rear. The S2000 is fine with just Aids off and N2's( front and rear) to drift with. It takes skill and time to get the angles you want or you can always use certain camera angles to get that angle.

i just dont uderstand how to keep the drift going around a tight corner without the Aids on. How do you guys do it? its easier on need for speed carbon and those other ones, i'm a champion at those games but on here its a different story.

Lol....you have much to learn. That s2k on n3's can get the angle you want...and that is with stock power...keep practicing!👍 Keeping tires the same promotes proper technique. Drifting isn't sliding a car gracefully....It's attacking corners crazily.

i just dont uderstand how to keep the drift going around a tight corner without the Aids on. How do you guys do it? its easier on need for speed carbon and those other ones, i'm a champion at those games but on here its a different story.

Everyone is the best at need for speed. It doesn't take skill to drift/race in NFS because NFS is an arcade game, NOT a race sim. There is a major difference in the two. I am going to take a guess at this, but I would say you are probably new to GT4. How long have you been playing for? A few weeks? A month? It takes a LOT of practice, determination, and time to get good at this game. I can take a guess and probably be right, that all of the pros have been playing since GT4 came out, or soon after. I know for a fact that I have, DKing has, and BreakerOhio has been at it since it came out. You can't get good overnite, not even over a few months. You might get the feeling for it after a month or two, but you won't be anywhere near pro.

Well, i no now about the aids off and difference between the two games, iv'e been playing gt4 for about 2 months but new to drifting on there. i first started with Gran Tursimo when i had PSone. I had GT1 & GT2, so i no what its like to drive on there ok. iv'e been drifting for a couple of days on gt4 but now with the aids off for a couple of minutes drifting, i'm getting the feel of it. And its a little bit harder with a controller, but i'm thinking of getting a gt steering wheel or whatever you guys call it, cant remember.
So i think we should end it there.
Thanks anyway :sly:

Back