A-spec Expert Level Non-Racing Car Challenge: Nürburgring Nordschleife

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 500 comments
I do not know how it works exactly, but I see that some of you just take any car and simply win.
So it comes down to skill to drive properly and have the correct tune.... I guess ?!

I fought this event few hours, and a.fter some 9-7-5 place with GT-R BE, was finally able to get at .least a silver bring by T.K. ZZll 00 (best 8.15.484). I am not happy, but for the first time think that's good.
Except too much heartbeat, little stress and slightly sweating... :crazy::scared:

Finaly, Event seemed to me extremely difficult for my rookie skills. Hope so to run the event again.
It is good that at least one optionally can learn many things from GTplanet on winning ways and appropriate cars.

Cheers all :cheers:

Last edited:
Shame this event is over - one of the only A Spec Seasonals I've done more than gold and move on :)

I do not know how it works exactly, but I see that some of you just take any car and simply win.
So it comes down to skill to drive properly and have the correct tune.... I guess ?!

It's a combination of 3 things..

1) Knowing the track
2) Driving skill
3) Tune

The most important factor IMO is track knowledge; the 'Ring is a long track, with lots of corners. It's much harder to get close to your theoretical absolute best lap on the 'Ring than on shorter tracks as there is more opportunity to make mistakes.

Very closely followed by your skill level (as long as you're not completely useless - if you are, no amount of track knowledge will help you!!)... you can be a great driver, but if you don't know where you can push and where you need to be more careful, you won't be fast. An 'OK' driver with good track knowledge will win the event without an issue.

The tune is the least important factor, as unless you know the track and are decently fast, this won't really help you.

I would expect most of people posting really fast times on here would be able to beat this event in pretty much any car in the game without a tune (just power upgrades to reach the PPT limit and gearing to enable the car not to hit the limiter on the straights).

I fought this event few hours, and after some 9-7-5 place with GT-R BE, was finally able to get at least a silver bring by T.K. ZZll 00. I am not happy, but for the first time think that's good.
Except too much heartbeat, little stress and slightly sweating... :crazy::scared:

Finaly, Event seemed to me extremely difficult for my rookie skills. Hope so to run the event again.
It is good that at least one optionally can learn many things from GTplanet on winning ways and appropriate cars.

Cheers all :cheers:

The type of "rabbits" is also important, I think. Maybe not that much for the 6'30"club but for the 7'15" people at least. You can be quite clumsy and finish on top of a vette or viper with the Stagea or the Storia even if you're below average. It is a different story to get to I.Calvo in his C12S 7.3 when he starts in front of the pack...

I noticed that the AI was easier to pass the last couple days before the challenge expired versus when it was introduced. I play GT on Tues and Weds mainly, and the AI just seemed to get out of your way more easily the last couple days. They were like road blocks last week.

Shame this event is over - one of the only A Spec Seasonals I've done more than gold and move on :)

Totally agree! Wish I would have found out about it sooner, but at least had a couple of good days with it. Really wish we could figure out a way to petition PD to make some of these events permanent. Really missing the aspect of GT5 where seasonals lived forever.

It's a combination of 3 things..

1) Knowing the track
2) Driving skill
3) Tune

The most important factor IMO is track knowledge; the 'Ring is a long track, with lots of corners. It's much harder to get close to your theoretical absolute best lap on the 'Ring than on shorter tracks as there is more opportunity to make mistakes.

Very closely followed by your skill level (as long as you're not completely useless - if you are, no amount of track knowledge will help you!!)... you can be a great driver, but if you don't know where you can push and where you need to be more careful, you won't be fast. An 'OK' driver with good track knowledge will win the event without an issue.

The tune is the least important factor, as unless you know the track and are decently fast, this won't really help you.

I would expect most of people posting really fast times on here would be able to beat this event in pretty much any car in the game without a tune (just power upgrades to reach the PPT limit and gearing to enable the car not to hit the limiter on the straights).

I agree with you mostly, Stotty, that a combination of knowing the track (especially on the 'Ring) and skill is what leads to lower lap times.

However, ironically, I think a better tune may have more effect for a less skilled driver. As you said, skilled drivers can probably win with any tune, but I think this is because of their skill.

I consider myself an average/above average driver, but I can remember a time early on in my GT days where I was definitely below average. I could learn the track, and good tune that was easier to handle with my limited skill often led to better lap times and performance.

Also, if your skill level is at the point where you are very close to beating the event, a better tune might be all you need to push you into the winner's circle.

Just my 2 cents :cheers:

Ugh...I'm so mad at myself. I told myself to get in as many sessions with this event as I could before they pulled it. I did zero sessions on it yesterday and only 2 the day before. Damn World Series! LOL

I definitely think "knowing the track" is extremely important when it comes to racing on the Nordschleife. Considering how narrow this track is compared to a lot of race tracks you better know if you're making a smart move by attempting a pass or if it would have been more wise to wait 2 seconds and hit that braking zone first, for example.

It was so interesting watching some of the replays provided by @WhoosierGirl or @mike_gt3 or anyone else in the sub 7 minute club (bumper view replays). I'm watching and saying to myself, "Yup...Ok...That's how I approach this. Yup.. I carry just about as much speed through this turn and that turn..." but then I realize how they are just a bit quicker here or there and on a course like the Nurburgring all those "little bits" add up to a substantially lower lap time than I can do. Thank you, so very much for providing bumper cam replays. They really help us mere mortals learn, at least I know they help me a lot!

I'm going to miss this event as well. Never once did I feel like I was just grinding for credits by running it again. Based on the reactions from most of you, it seems like none of us felt that way. Even with that obnoxiously long wait time to start our laps, it was just a great event to run over and over again. The credits earned were just a bonus as far as I was concerned!

I agree with you mostly, Stotty, that a combination of knowing the track (especially on the 'Ring) and skill is what leads to lower lap times.

However, ironically, I think a better tune may have more effect for a less skilled driver. As you said, skilled drivers can probably win with any tune, but I think this is because of their skill.

I consider myself an average/above average driver, but I can remember a time early on in my GT days where I was definitely below average. I could learn the track, and good tune that was easier to handle with my limited skill often led to better lap times and performance.

Also, if your skill level is at the point where you are very close to beating the event, a better tune might be all you need to push you into the winner's circle.

Just my 2 cents :cheers:

IMO, the PD default set ups will be beneficial to most 'average drivers' (no offense meant by that phrase) as they are safe - loads of +ve rear toe and a bit of camber make the cars very stable with soft transitions.

To go faster you need to make most cars rotate more aggressively, which puts a bigger premium on brake and throttle control.

There are some cars that are an exception to that though!

👍

Last edited:
Well I don`t think it`s especially sad this event has ended... There will be more Nurburg seasonals in the future every now and then...I already spent a little too much time on this...But it was really one of the best seasonals in GT6 so far..

It was sooo hard to get under 7min for me, but I did it a few times, in 2 easy cars...Mclaren MP4 best win in 6.58.865...And Tommy Kaira ZZ2 in some 6.57.xxx....Was sooo close to do it in the Honda HSC but only got 7.00.xxx a couple of times, and then I started to crash repeatedly...Enough is enough....A little tired of Nurburg for now lol...

I would really like to know, how I would have performed with a wheel instead of a controller..That`s the BIG MAJOR question for me...Future will tell...The GT7/ps4 future...Bye to this tread...:gtpflag:

IMO, the PD default set ups will be beneficial to most 'average drivers' (no offense meant by that phrase) as they are safe - loads of +ve rear toe and a bit of camber make the cars very stable with soft transitions.

To go faster you need to make most cars rotate more aggressively, which puts a bigger premium on brake and throttle control.

👍

I agree. Being just an average driver myself, I can appreciate that PD went with these "safe" default setups. Anything much more aggressive, and I really couldn't drive it.

I agree. Being just an average driver myself, I can appreciate that PD went with these "safe" default setups. Anything much more aggressive, and I really couldn't drive it.
Is that why they increased the rear toe so dramatically? From .20 to .60 a few updates back? Was PD just trying to make the cars "easier" to drive?

👍

The out-of-the box handling for most cars is definitely much improved in GT6 with the new physics engine and different base setups, etc., so a lot more cars are definitely driveable by more drivers without tuning. This wasn't always the case in GT5 which is when I learned the game.

Now that I've learned better how to handle RWD cars I definitely prefer more rotation to move through the corners faster without losing speed.

What I need to learn better now is the easiest way to self-tune the cars and not have to rely on others' tunes to get the best performance. I've dabbled in it a bit, but I really don't feel I've put 2-and-2 together on what settings to adjust quickly to best optimize a car for my style... always more to learn :)

And @GTP_CargoRatt I'd say you can classify yourself as at least above average at this point 👍

Is that why they increased the rear toe so dramatically? From .20 to .60 a few updates back? Was PD just trying to make the cars "easier" to drive?

I'm really not qualified to answer, better to ask one of the more knowledgeable people here. 👍

@luv2drive I'm not even close to being above average and would only be fooling myself if I thought otherwise. If you are basing your judgement on my finishes in the Seasonals, that is a false positive to say the least. Rating one's skill level on how they fair in the online Seasonals where not everyone participates is very misleading in my opinion. The best representation of ones true skill level would be how they finish in the final GT Academy event. I mean, thanks for the kind words and all, I really appreciate it, but you really have to look at the big picture here. I am just average at best, nothing more. :)

@luv2drive I'm not even close to being above average and would only be fooling myself if I thought otherwise. If you are basing your judgement on my finishes in the Seasonals, that is a false positive to say the least. Rating one's skill level on how they fair in the online Seasonals where not everyone participates is very misleading in my opinion. The best representation of ones true skill level would be how they finish in the final GT Academy event. I mean, thanks for the kind words and all, I really appreciate it, but you really have to look at the big picture here. I am just average at best, nothing more. :)

Appreciate your humility, but being above average doesn't mean you are in the top elite alien class, it just means you are basically faster than approx. 50% drivers (technically that's the median, but they are pretty close for a simple argument). If I had to guess I'd say you're in the top 10-20% easily, so that would well above either :)

You regularly finish top 100 in TT's, Mitch. You're hardly average :lol:

You regularly finish top 100 in TT's, Mitch. You're hardly average :lol:

Please note my post from earlier.

"@luv2drive I'm not even close to being above average and would only be fooling myself if I thought otherwise. If you are basing your judgement on my finishes in the Seasonals, that is a false positive to say the least. Rating one's skill level on how they fair in the online Seasonals where not everyone participates is very misleading in my opinion. The best representation of ones true skill level would be how they finish in the final GT Academy event. I mean, thanks for the kind words and all, I really appreciate it, but you really have to look at the big picture here. I am just average at best, nothing more. :)"

With respect to @luv2drive response to this, yes, I still consider myself quite average in the total scheme of things. If you make your judgment with how I finished in the final Academy standings where almost everybody competes and gives a 100% effort, you will see that my finish is just average at best. Again, and in my opinion, if anyone makes their judgment of their skill level based on how they finish in the Seasonal TT's, is only giving themselves a false positive. You simply can't make an accurate assessment of one's skill level based on events in which not everyone competes and also in which not everyone competes gives it an honest effort. If that were to be the case, then I could say I am as good as you @Stotty because there was a number of times in which I finished ahead of you, because for whatever reason (event didn't interest you, no time to invest, ect.), you didn't give it your true effort. Please understand that I am not trying to start a big argument here, I am simply looking at things, in what I believe to be, a realistic manner. :cheers:

Going to miss this event. Finished in first with a bunch of different cars and was trying to attempt a first-place finish with the Ford GT Mark1 '66 (it runs quite nicely). Sadly, didn't have enough time to put in a decent effort once I tuned the car to my liking. Perhaps another time...

I hope next time they bring back the PP bonus, it would offer even more challenge :dopey:

Yeah, it's really perplexing. The Seasonal Events in GT6 seem like a step backwards from GT5 in terms of their execution and delivery. It's almost like the GT6 engineers were a completely different team than GT5 and they didn't talk to their counterparts or learn any of the cool things they were doing.

I noticed that the AI was easier to pass the last couple days before the challenge expired versus when it was introduced. I play GT on Tues and Weds mainly, and the AI just seemed to get out of your way more easily the last couple days. They were like road blocks last week.
Silly me for thinking I was improving...:crazy:

16 2nd place finishes by 1-2 seconds. I tried 3 different cars and all 3 gave me the same result. I like this track and I know it pretty well, but I just could not find where I could shave 2 seconds off of my lap times. I'm glad I'm going back on the road to teach and preach. The frustration of this event was evident so I know I need to lay it back down for a while.

Back