A-spec Expert Level Non-Racing Car Challenge: Nürburgring Nordschleife

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 500 comments
I got an 8:03xx with the Nardo, sloppy driving through the mini-carousel cost me a win by .509. Pooo. Done for tonight.

I don't know if somebody tried it, but as it is my car IRL I gave it a try. A sub 7 min lap is possible. I made a bunch of mistakes in the last sectors
DSC_1254.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, everyone. I'm new here and this event is really fun. When it first came out I had a very hard just getting 3rd place, I did a google search and brought me here. I tried several different cars and could never catch the leader, finally I was able to get gold for the first time with a pagani zonda c12 '00. Then I followed a members tune for the GT-R BE, I was able to get a 8:11:068. Also was able to use a GT-R 07 and win with a 8:08:627 with no tune, just added power and reduced weight.

Hi, everyone. I'm new here and this event is really fun. When it first came out I had a very hard just getting 3rd place, I did a google search and brought me here. I tried several different cars and could never catch the leader, finally I was able to get gold for the first time with a pagani zonda c12 '00. Then I followed a members tune for the GT-R BE, I was able to get a 8:11:068. Also was able to use a GT-R 07 and win with a 8:08:627 with no tune, just added power and reduced weight.
Welcome to :gtpflag:

That VW Nardò tune is that for a DS3 or a wheel, because I am using a G27 and I got a time of 7:18.xx on my second try with it and thanks for posting it. :cheers:

Im using a G27 as well, it might work with a ds3 if you add slightly more rear downforce. :)

Success!! 6:49.593! Don't have any idea where you find 15 more seconds though! :bowdown::bowdown:

Nice! its all in the rythm and the details, you need to do everything just once, braking, trailbraking, turning the right amount, accelerating out of corner, if you brake slightly late or force it to turn turning the Wheel beyond the front grip it will slow down.

Dont touch the curb Inside a corner it will throw it toward the outside or upset it (smoother suspension and higher ride height prevent that)

if you touch a curb in a corner keep the curb on apex in the middle of the car, thats what i do in the beginning of the track.

Sometimes its better to accelerate at 90% input sooner, than wait for traction later or try to accelerate 100% and countersteer, you keep a better line and dont lose much speed... (but keep in mind that it will add understeer, your braking point need to be at the right place to make it work...)

If you feel the car is about to oversteer and you dont want it to oversteer or just want to prevent a sudden oversteer just keep mild throttle it will keep it on its track, you can see it in the video on the ''jump'' a while after the karousselbefore a long right hand turn (sorry dont remember the corners name... :D)

If you brake too late it may feel like you are at limit but you are over the limit, you will lose more on exit than you gained on braking, i rarely hit full braking, dont brake hard and turn, as you get closer to turn reduce the braking input, you can see on the display in the video.

Sometimes its better to shift a gear up on exit or mid corner and also during all corner when possible, its smoother and increase the turning radius (understeer) but overall carry more speed. Thats why you can see i downshift to rotate and slow down the right amount then shift back an higher gear for mid corner or the exit, in this case the Nardo have a good low end its easy to do. :)

In stock cars i tend to stay in an higher gear in corners but with the tuned ones the car get unstable on transition when you touch a curb, thats why i was downshifting on the ''S'' sections after the karoussel.

sorry for the long read...

Hello! Now try the McLaren MP4! Hall90 is an advocate for this car. It drives really well. :)

------VW Nardò tune:

ride height: 110/110
spring rate: 9.82/10.75
compression: 4/4
extension: 4/4
antiroll: 3/3
camber: 0.0/0.0
toe: 0.00/0.30

Brake bias: 5/4

Gearing: do the following:
-Move top speed complete left
-Move final ratio complete right
-Set those gears:
1-- 4.562
2-- 3.473
3-- 2.636
4-- 2.116
5-- 1.672
6-- 1.309

Set final ratio to 2.471

Diff: 10/40/20

add stage 3 weight reduction and adjust power limiter to hit 550pp

set aero to 150/220

If you want more stable you can add rear downforce

👍 Nice tune. Really enjoyed the Nardò... Did a sloppy lap of 6:55:xxx

Much more room to improve...

:)

Im using a G27 as well, it might work with a ds3 if you add slightly more rear downforce. :)

Nice! its all in the rythm and the details, you need to do everything just once, braking, trailbraking, turning the right amount, accelerating out of corner, if you brake slightly late or force it to turn turning the Wheel beyond the front grip it will slow down.
👍
Dont touch the curb Inside a corner it will throw it toward the outside or upset it (smoother suspension and higher ride height prevent that)

if you touch a curb in a corner keep the curb on apex in the middle of the car, thats what i do in the beginning of the track.

Sometimes its better to accelerate at 90% input sooner, than wait for traction later or try to accelerate 100% and countersteer, you keep a better line and dont lose much speed... (but keep in mind that it will add understeer, your braking point need to be at the right place to make it work...)

If you feel the car is about to oversteer and you dont want it to oversteer or just want to prevent a sudden oversteer just keep mild throttle it will keep it on its track, you can see it in the video on the ''jump'' a while after the karousselbefore a long right hand turn (sorry dont remember the corners name... :D)

If you brake too late it may feel like you are at limit but you are over the limit, you will lose more on exit than you gained on braking, i rarely hit full braking, dont brake hard and turn, as you get closer to turn reduce the braking input, you can see on the display in the video.

Sometimes its better to shift a gear up on exit or mid corner and also during all corner when possible, its smoother and increase the turning radius (understeer) but overall carry more speed. Thats why you can see i downshift to rotate and slow down the right amount then shift back an higher gear for mid corner or the exit, in this case the Nardo have a good low end its easy to do. :)

In stock cars i tend to stay in an higher gear in corners but with the tuned ones the car get unstable on transition when you touch a curb, thats why i was downshifting on the ''S'' sections after the karoussel.

👍 This ! Thank you for the advice, never dared to do that before. Il tried with the BMW M5 '08 and just won 3-4 seconds compared to my usual driving style. « Lighter » with the brakes, better use of the gears and yes ! the german monster stays on the track and runs faster! Cheers

McLaren MP4-12C '10 (new car from dealers, no oil change, no chassis strengthening)
Ride 100 80
Spring 7.50 13.00
Bound 2 4
Rebound 3 5
ARB 5 7
Camber 0 0
Toe -0.10 0.00
Brakes (racing) 5 7
Gears (set max speed to min 1st)
1st 4.413
2nd 3.312
3rd 2.700
4th 2.249
5th 1.936
6th 1.676
7th 1.491
Final 2.237
Diff 5 30 5
Power limiter 77.8%
Custom rear wing @ 100
No weight reduction

Should be 467bhp, 1,350kg, 550ppts

Relieved I managed to beat the previous SRF lap ;)

Awesome tune, I use active steering: strong TC: 5 and abs: 1. I was able to do a 2nd place of 8:02:096, I was still 4.129 behind the leader. I see why everyone hates the AI, they get in your way to much. Without there interference I might have made sub 7min lap.

Hello! Now try the McLaren MP4! Hall90 is an advocate for this car. It drives really well. :)
Thanks for the heads up, I gave the car a go and it handles great.

Don't double post - use the Edit button or queue replies with the Reply or +Quote buttons
Same here, would like to see that and the Camaro @WhoosierGirl
Me too.

Awesome tune, I use active steering: strong TC: 5 and abs: 1. I was able to do a 2nd place of 8:02:096, I was still 4.129 behind the leader. I see why everyone hates the AI, they get in your way to much. Without there interference I might have made sub 7min lap.

Thanks for the heads up, I gave the car a go and it handles great.
I bought it just for this event because i couldn't win with anything else i had. My lap times with this car were around 7:15. I see people getting below 7 minutes. I must need to learn a lot more about driving.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought it just for this event because i couldn't win with anything else i had. My lap times with this car were around 7:15. I see people getting below 7 minutes. I must need to learn a lot more about driving.
I've been watching a lot of the videos for this event, to see if I can learn anything from it. It has helped me a lot to see braking points, entry into the bends. and the way you guys tune the cars, I usually never mess with the transmission, suspension and differential.

Depending on the car and the line up of cars I'm up against, my times run between 7:04 - 7:30+. My best time was a 7:04:xx with mp4, with the gt-r 07 I did a 7:08. My laps were not the greatest for being clean, every attempt I've made at this event I either run into the AI due them blocking me or they wrecked and hit me trying to get back onto the track. Also trying to avoid them put me in the grass a few times.

For the most part I use a controller, I've been trying with my driving force gt wheel. But I haven't gotten to far into the track with out spinning out.

Nice work with the Miura, nowcontrol. :) 👍

........its all in the rhythm and the details, you need to do .....XsnipX........

No. Thanks for the brilliant post; we have the option to read or not. There's a lot of great tips in there - especially regarding the handling of the Nardo.

Now how do we get you to talk a little more.. . . . :)

👍

Mike, awesome post, thanks for the detailed description. What you say makes a lot of sense, and believe it or not, I've picked up on some of these techniques from you by watching your vids in the past.

I wasn't so aware of the curbs slowing me down, so I think I'll pay closer attention to that.

I think the #1 thing I need to work on is braking less and not braking too late. I've been working on that, but it takes a while to un-learn bad habits.

This event has certainly been a good one for working on my skills, and I love the 'Ring for that.

Thanks again for all your great input! 👍 :cheers:

No. Thanks for the brilliant post; we have the option to read or not. There's a lot of great tips in there - especially regarding the handling of the Nardo.
Now how do we get you to talk a little more.. . . . :)

Just asking questions if needed, i dont mind sharing about the driving techniques or how to attack the 'ring. :)

👍

Mike, awesome post, thanks for the detailed description. What you say makes a lot of sense, and believe it or not, I've picked up on some of these techniques from you by watching your vids in the past.

I wasn't so aware of the curbs slowing me down, so I think I'll pay closer attention to that.

I think the #1 thing I need to work on is braking less and not braking too late. I've been working on that, but it takes a while to un-learn bad habits.

This event has certainly been a good one for working on my skills, and I love the 'Ring for that.

Thanks again for all your great input! 👍 :cheers:

Thx no problem :)

Basicaly if you touch a curb inside a corner especially from mid to high speed it will have a noticeable impact, it just throw the car on outside and might upset the handling as well with cars that run low ride height/stiff suspension, on the other hand, you can use that as a ramp to turn more, like using a left curb to enter a right hand turn (when its applicable.)

Its easier to feel with a completly stock car even though its less sensitive.

Just asking questions if needed, i dont mind sharing about the driving techniques or how to attack the 'ring. :)

Thx no problem :)

Basicaly if you touch a curb inside a corner especially from mid to high speed it will have a noticeable impact, it just throw the car on outside and might upset the handling as well with cars that run low ride height/stiff suspension, on the other hand, you can use that as a ramp to turn more, like using a left curb to enter a right hand turn (when its applicable.)

Its easier to feel with a completly stock car even though its less sensitive.

Hi Mike! view camera that you use in the race, cockpit or 1st with tachometer and speedometer?

Well, packing it in. Best I managed was second place about a half dozen times with various cars. My best runs were with the 430 Scuderia the LFA '10, and the Gallardo. Today was as close as I got; finished about 2 seconds behind with the LFA Nurburgring Package (go figure).

Well, packing it in. Best I managed was second place about a half dozen times with various cars. My best runs were with the 430 Scuderia the LFA '10, and the Gallardo. Today was as close as I got; finished about 2 seconds behind with the LFA Nurburgring Package (go figure).
I finneshed 1st with the MP4 a few times. Today I'm not having so much luck. Wonder what we will have tomorrow?

I did it with the nissan r390 road car, then with the c7 and the rx7 spirit etc.

(talking about the r390, i noticed something different on interior view, it always been like that?)

Hi Mike! view camera that you use in the race, cockpit or 1st with tachometer and speedometer?

I use the hood view (not bumper) , and i used the top of car view a few times but not on the ring. :)

I like that you used the 427 cobra. Would like to see a video of that. I wasn't able to tame it.

Same here, would like to see that and the Camaro @WhoosierGirl

This is what I had, other than guessing wrong on which way the jaguar was going to go in the Cobra video and throwing some grass around with the camaro these are ok laps.

Of all the cars I used the best top speed I had was 219mph in a GS300 drafting a Zonda on the long straight, admittedly I mostly the oddballs and don't use the super cars but, I thought that was really going for that big car.

Going to miss this event, as much as I enjoy doing some TT's at times the Nurburgring events are a blast for me because I can take my stress from 10 hours at the hospital out on the jumps, curbs, grass and occasionally an AI or two.:D

image.jpg image.jpg

Have you tried the McLaren MP4-12C '10.

I have now tried the MP4-12C. 4 seconds again by 1-2 seconds.:banghead: I just don't where I can make up another 2 seconds. The McLaren now that I have adjusted the final gear has the top end. I'm not off the track anywhere. I guess this must be one I'm going to have to toss in the towel. :( I've still got about 3 hrs. I'll keep going in and out and see if I can find a better grid. The last one had the '13 Viper and the '03 Benz. Got by the Benz everytime just could not catch the Viper. I'm running 7:15-7:18 times. I'm not an alien and have never done the ring in under 7:00. even with the DFGT. I haven't played consistently for almost 2 months, that may be why I just haven't been able to nail it.:yuck:

I have now tried the MP4-12C. 4 seconds again by 1-2 seconds.:banghead: I just don't where I can make up another 2 seconds. The McLaren now that I have adjusted the final gear has the top end. I'm not off the track anywhere. I guess this must be one I'm going to have to toss in the towel. :( I've still got about 3 hrs. I'll keep going in and out and see if I can find a better grid. The last one had the '13 Viper and the '03 Benz. Got by the Benz everytime just could not catch the Viper. I'm running 7:15-7:18 times. I'm not an alien and have never done the ring in under 7:00. even with the DFGT. I haven't played consistently for almost 2 months, that may be why I just haven't been able to nail it.:yuck:
The lineup i won with had the Buick Special starting in first. The McLaren of course. But today i had a third second and third using same car with a different lineup. It was a difficult race for sure. Reading this thread i see lots of people (aliens?) that didn't have any problems winning with a wide variety of cars. Maybe one must really know the Ring inside and out.

Latest Posts

Back