A-spec Expert Level Race Car Challenge: Eifel

• Thread starter nowcontrol
  • 204 comments
I tried the Alpine VGT Race Mode the other day and was doing fairly well throughout. The car has excellent traction even in moderately wet conditions on RS tires. Only problem was overly aggressive AI on the final lap/sweeping turn where they basically punted me out of the way like a hacky sack. Pretty annoying especially when I get the penalty.

Still a fun event, but I'll go back to my HSV-010 to put this one in the bag.

Toyota TS030 and Praino set up.
Start soft tyres. At the end of lap 2 pit stop and IM. The end of lap 7, pit stop and soft or intermediate tyres.
I won by 1 minute and I'm not good.

LM55 50% power, increase ballast to meet 600p, IM /lap 5 IM / lap 8 RS = walk in the park...

This track is fantastic! Plus 2 minutes, high speeds, interesting undulations and off camber hairpins makes this like a roller coaster and needs to be respected.

Enjoy!

Hey I'm curious how did you tune the LM55 to win? I can't get past 6th or 5th...

Hey guys. Not bragging here.

image.jpeg

The more I drive this one, the more variations I see. P1 on lap 3? Never before.

Edit: different race and again, P1 by lap 3 but this time at 9:02 and 62% rainage.

Last edited:
I did this one in the 2j on my second attempt using IM tiers all the way threw the race. But this race is the perfect example of what is wrong with the AI in the game, so much so that it's really turning me of playing GT anymore.

Being a serous PC racer I grew up with the idea that contact with other car's was a big No-no, but yet PD seems to be actively encouraging contact with other cars to prolonge the life span of the game/racing.

Viper GTS-R can easily win, starting the race with IM tires and pitting on lap 5 and using IM tires the whole race.

Viper GTS-R.jpg

The Monster Sport SX4 Base Model can win, but because of lousy fuel mileage, I had to make two pit stops. (Started off on IM tires, pitted lap 4 and used IM tires, then pitted on lap 8 and used RH tires.)

Monster Sport.jpg
Monster Sport Car.jpg

Last edited:
Viper GTS-R can easily win, starting the race with IM tires and pitting on lap 5 and using IM tires the whole race.

View attachment 472724

The Monster Sport SX4 Base Model can win, but because of lousy fuel mileage, I had to make two pit stops. (Started off on IM tires, pitted lap 4 and used IM tires, then pitted on lap 8 and used RH tires.)

View attachment 472768 View attachment 472769
:scared::scared:How did you do it with the Oreca Viper ?? My tyres were cooked after two laps, and I wasn't making enough time on the lead to afford two stops ... No way my tyres would last 5 lap ... May I ask what tune you are using (if any) ??

Exact same story with the Corvette Z06 C6, tyres are wasted after 3 laps

This challenge is awesome and I am trying to achieve it with many different rides, and I'm not too big on detuning the big bad LM racers

Very curious to know how you make you tyres last this long 💡💡 cheers mate

I've seen the 100% rain too. I think I've seen five rain patterns now but I have no idea what dictates any relationship to a car choice or PP level. Seems completely random to me. Which is great for replay value.
I was thinking the same about weather patterns, it seems to be random. I used the TS030 hybrid twice and received 2 different weather patterns so far.

I think I'm done with this race. I've tried the LM55 (DNF), the TS030 (7th and 8th) and the Toyota 7 (7th). All 3 finishes I was between 40 and 50 seconds behind the leader. I've been running RS for 2 laps, then IM for 6 and then RS for 2. They've added back the rabbits, in the rain while running on IM's I caught the 6th and 7th place car running side-by-side, I touched the one car and never saw him again as he turned on the rockets and was no longer having a grip issue in the rain. *SIGH*. I'll just grind on the intermediate race for credits until the next set of seasonal races.

It's not the rain, its the track that gave you problems. Learn the track first.

If you are having troubles with the AI ramming penalties, never drive closely behind them before a bend and always keep the inside lane when overtaking them so it's you who's doing the pushing off the track rather than them ;)

:scared::scared:How did you do it with the Oreca Viper ?? My tyres were cooked after two laps, and I wasn't making enough time on the lead to afford two stops ... No way my tyres would last 5 lap ... May I ask what tune you are using (if any) ??

This challenge is awesome and I am trying to achieve it with many different rides, and I'm not too big on detuning the big bad LM racers

Try decreasing the initial torque and acceleration sensitivity of the LSD. IIRC it defaults to 40 acceleration sensitivity which is quite high for such powerful car. You can also make the gears longer and use less toe.

Last edited:
If you are having troubles with the AI ramming penalties, never drive closely behind them before a bend and always keep the inside lane when overtaking them so it's you who's doing the pushing off the track rather than them ;)

Try decreasing the initial torque and acceleration sensitivity of the LSD. IIRC it defaults to 40 acceleration sensitivity which is quite high for such powerful car. You can also make the gears longer and use less toe.
Nope, just tried that, my tyres are down to 8 (unstead of seven previously) by the end of FIRST lap... And nursing them doesn't seem to make any difference.

Forced to pit on lap 4, take the lead but then end up being a sitting duck by start of lap 9 with IM tyres down to 3 on the dry ... Very frustrating!

Great advice and it works for this Seasonal for sure!

1. I used the Praiano tune, then tweaked and detuned it. Biggest change was changing brake balance to 6/1.

srt-viper-gts-r-team-oreca-51-2000-jpg.159021

2. Brake early.

3. Throttle control.

Braking early and letting off the gas when the car grabs or develops wheel-spin may seem like you are going slower, but in the long run, you will go faster when the AI is going slower, because you preserved your tires. In the picture below, my tires were left front 3, right front 4. left rear 4, right rear 6 when I went into the pits at the end of lap 5.

Viper Tires.jpg

After several attempts with more modern cars, got a very comfortable gold with the 1970 Chaparral 2J, IM tires only, pitting once after lap 5. Didn't enjoy this at first, but it was worth the time for sure.

1. I used the Praiano tune, then tweaked and detuned it. Biggest change was changing brake balance to 6/1.

srt-viper-gts-r-team-oreca-51-2000-jpg.159021

2. Brake early.

3. Throttle control.

Braking early and letting off the gas when the car grabs or develops wheel-spin may seem like you are going slower, but in the long run, you will go faster when the AI is going slower, because you preserved your tires. In the picture below, my tires were left front 3, right front 4. left rear 4, right rear 6 when I went into the pits at the end of lap 5.

View attachment 473018
Did it ! First place only by 2.6, thanks to that nice tune and your sound advice !

I reckon the key was to nurse the tyres on the dry, takes a bit of will power not to be agressive on the throttle and to slow the entry speed down but as you said the reward comes when it gets wet and you catch up fairly easily on the leady with your somewhat fresh tyres.

Last lap was a thriller though, second place was catching up on me real fast (my daughter distracted me into a crash too :D:D).

Thank you sir, you are awesome !

I'll try and take these tactics to the Corvette see how it goes

So far I have won the gold with HSV-010 GT Base, GT-R GT500 Stealth, and Mazda LM55 Vision, and the Toyota TS030. Tried the 2D, but ended up quitting (prob more my fault than the car). Also tried the Honda NSX Stealth, but not enough top end.

Anyone tried the RX-7 LM? I haven't had a go at this event but was wondering how the RX-7 will handle this.

Just tried it. Pretty easy win using IM tires the whole race and pitting only on lap 5.... Although I did spin out twice, had a 3 second penalty and got rammed off course from the AI! Tires wear faster than the Viper, (for me) and you will be close to running out of fuel at the end of lap 5 and at the end of the race, so be careful and don't push it too much.

RX-7 LM Race Car.jpg

:cheers: from Brasil!!!

I took a week to win this damn race. Use all sort of race cars (not super cars...) with ballast, less power but nothing helped.
Finally bought a Nissan GT-GTR GT500. Well, it was one of the cars used in the race, i like Nissan Skylines and i was trying a "fair" win. :dunce:;)

I did it with only one pit, at lap 5 in 1st position with IM all race.

Well, the car helps but here are some important things:

- In the first two laps, race like the devil. You have to gain at least 5 position before the first half of the lap and keep up with the pack at lap 2. Is easy to overtake them at the breaking.

- At lap 3, the rain gets heavy and the cars ahead of you will slow down ALLOT and you will lost ALLOT of grip too, but is time to another batch of outtakes. EASY ON THE THROTTLE AND ON THE BRAKES!!! Use a higher gear accelerating.

- Track starts to dry at lap 4. Grip comes back but the tires starts to deteriorate. Preserve them to lap 5!!!

- Lap 5, Pit. Full tank refuel, but i think you can spare a couple of liters to speed it up, a little bit. Don´t bother to loose positions, just keep a eye on the f....g C. Gibson... He will pit after you probably in 2nd.

- Lap 6, dry track. keep or recover you 1st position as soon as possible.

- Lap 7, "same" as lap 3. Use this lap to get distance from the 2nd. Again: EASY ON THE THROTTLE AND ON THE BRAKES!!! Use a higher gear accelerating.

- Lap 8, track starts to dry. Accelerate, BUT preserve your tires!!!

- Lap 9 & 10, dry track. Preserve your tires!!! Prepare for be attacked at end of lap 10!!! Try to put a lap and some cars between you and the 2nd. Your tires, mainly the left ones, will worn very fast. Take easy on the turns and on the gas pedal.

I used the 6axxis and this setup:

ABS 1
ASM ON

55 50 - 14,91 19,49 - 7 7 - 7 7 - 4 4 - 0 0 - (-0,12) 0,11 - 2 2 - 17 42 20 - 400 514

Transmission : Put final gear in 3900 and max speed at 310.
2966 - 2154 - 1703 - 1352 - 1100 - 935
IF you think it i a bit slow, change final gear.

Well, that is.

First post:scared::scared::scared: and hope it helps!!!

I FINALLY BEAT IT! I had a terrible pit strategy and span out once. But I managed to win on the last turn of the race with 1% fuel left.

Car of choice: Ford GT LM Spec II

Snapchat-5137691003968536281.jpg

Not the most impressive time, but it got the job done :D

Troubles for a backmarker in the rain:
.........xsnipx...........

Going thru the final long right-hand sweeper, I get passed by the 6th place Lexus Bandai. At the end of lap # 6, I veer towards the pits and get T-boned by the 7th place Honda Epson NSX who is on my right side but doesn't want to pit. He pushes me past the pit entrance!!!

So I begin lap # 7 with about 4 liters of fuel and with a dodgy left rear tire after a lap that took 3:00.801. The rain is at 65% to make my plight even worse. At the 1min mark on lap # 7, I run out of fuel and slow to 50 mph.:eek:

........xsnipx.......

Maybe I will have better luck next time!:lol:
:cheers:

I've seen the AI do this to other AI. Hilarious. Got the pix, too - will post them presently. Nielsen ran RS for 3 laps and was coming in on the end of 3 for fresh rubber and was swiped away from the pit-entrance - he had to limp all the way around again Finish order totally mucked up. :lol:

Nielsen is a driver to watch for - he can be very erratic.

GT-R GT500 Stealth is a beast. 597 PP. Always liked how stable it is. Found a really easy rain pattern where it rains twice but only goes up to about 12%. That means RS tire one stop. Add a little extra fuel than they do. Like 5 liters for a little cushion.

View attachment 471080

23 minute race. 53 seconds gap. 👍

Super job. 👍 AFAIK - that's the first time anyone broke 24.00 in any car.

:cheers: from Brasil!!!

I took a week to win this damn race. Use all sort of race cars (not super cars...) with ballast, less power but nothing helped.
Finally bought a Nissan GT-GTR GT500. Well, it was one of the cars used in the race, i like Nissan Skylines and I was trying a "fair" win. :dunce:;)
......xsnipx...........

First post:scared::scared::scared: and hope it helps!!!

Welcome to GTPlanet. :cheers:
May I say you'll fit right in with the rest of the Gran Turismo petrolheads in here. :)

Last edited:
Back